• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office performance

El Topo

Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

No? One side claims she is a global icon, I'm just asking for evidence. Shouldn't really be hard, given her enormous worldwide fame.
My issue is that people approach this character with this notion that is heavily influenced by American culture, which sets unreasonable expectations (regarding the global box office).
Serious question: Is Wonder Woman, outside the US, really big enough to be called an icon? Is she e.g. bigger than the Smurfs?

SpaceWolf

Banned

You're utilising your own personal experience as a German to refute their claims that the character is popular, without offering any evidence yourself to support your own side outside of "Go talk to a load of Germans".

The lack of evidence in the debate goes both ways.

Feel free to back up the "global icon" talk with something other than anecdotal evidence.
Not sure what kind of evidence you can expect to get , i mean i cant prove to you that Spider man and batman are popular in Asia too.

Popular Hong Kong Singer Sammi Cheng have an album named wonder woman and a song 神奇女俠 which is Wonder woman in 2002 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8rGOPq_J0

Kay Tse also have a song in 2008 '神奇女俠的退休生活.Wonder Woman 's retirement life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvbwqQ-zYj4

Wonder Woman is a feminist icon world wide.

I have no evidence for SEA but my parent grew up watching the Wonder Woman TV series. And we have all the DC cartoons.

Peru

You're utilising your own personal experience as a German to refute their claims that the character is popular, without offering any evidence yourself to support your own side outside of "Go talk to a load of Germans".

Doesn't matter if she's a worldwide comic book icon. Movies are a different thing. Marvel has built a movie studio brand stronger than any individual character. Doctor Strange is a guaranteed hit not because his character is an icon but because the Marvel logo is.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Opening weekend $75M
Domestic $185M
Foreign $200M

I'm expecting it to do decently well domestically, not huge internationally.

Doesn't matter if she's a worldwide comic book icon. Movies are a different thing. Marvel has built a movie studio brand stronger than any individual character. Doctor Strange is a guaranteed hit not because his character is an icon but because the Marvel logo is.

It can goes both way . None of the DECU movies flopped yet when arguably most don't think they are good movies. If WW is good , i think the audience will come .

El Topo

Not at all.

One side claims that Wonder Woman is a global icon even outside the US. This is a general, unspecified claim. Obviously a lot depends on the definition used, but I think discussing this goes a bit far.
I am pointing out that the claim seems problematic, because at the very least in Germany the character is culturally irrelevant. This is not solely based on anecdotal evidence or my own experience, but on the character's history in Germany.

One side claims the character is globally relevant, whereas I'm pointing out that for at least one region this is not the case. It is thus for the other side to showcase why the character is globally relevant regardless. Given the enormity of their claim, surely it should not be hard to produce something. That is without pointing out how unreasonable it is to demand proof for the nonexistence of cultural relevance, compared to the opposite.

(I'm well aware that proving cultural relevance is messy as well. I'm being a bit of a dick here, obviously. The point is that making such grand claims about fame or cultural relevance are generally problematic.)

Penguin

Feel free to back up the "global icon" talk with something other than anecdotal evidence.

How does one prove that either way?

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks

That said, she has benefited from being associated with 2 of the biggest comic book characters of all-time.

She's been a staple of every animated series they've done, part of Injustice/DC vs MK fighting games, a big part of DCUO and of course being (the best?) part of Batman v Superman. So while her stock may not nearly be as high not a complete unknown.

Anyhow, my guess would be

Opening: 87 million
Domestic: 215 M
Worldwide: 295 M

Not at all.

One side claims that Wonder Woman is a global icon even outside the US. This is a general, unspecified claim. Obviously a lot depends on the definition used, but I think discussing this goes a bit far.
I am pointing out that the claim seems problematic, because at the very least in Germany the character is culturally irrelevant. This is not solely based on anecdotal evidence or my own experience, but on the character's history in Germany.

One side claims the character is globally relevant, whereas I'm pointing out that for at least one region this is not the case. It is thus for the other side to showcase why the character is globally relevant regardless. Given the enormity of their claim, surely it should not be hard to produce something. That is without pointing out how unreasonable it is to demand proof for the nonexistence of cultural relevance, compared to the opposite.

You are totally ignoring my post err?

That said, she has benefited from being associated with 2 of the biggest comic book characters of all-time.

She's been a staple of every animated series they've done, part of Injustice/DC vs MK fighting games, a big part of DCUO and of course being (the best?) part of Batman v Superman. So while her stock may not nearly be as high not a complete unknown.

You surely mean Foreign with Worldwide?

Sephzilla

lol, I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement since Wonder Woman [Injustice spoilers]
is basically the real villain of the Injustice games

Fliesen

well, looking at Google Trends since 2004, there does seem to be a distinct drop-off in interest for "Wonder Woman" across the atlantic

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/c7wm7Ye.png[/img]

also, people in general (as opposed to enthusiast communities) seem to care very little about wonder woman

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nKRI8Tp.png[/IMG]

There doesn't seem to be much hype, this close to release.
Ant-Man had a higher "peak" than WW, as far as i can tell.

But maybe i'm using google trends wrong?

zsynqx

Thinking it'll have good legs if reports of it being a great movie are true. I hope to god it does better than the turd that was Suicide Squad.

Domestic: 150m
Foreign: 220m
Worldwide: 370m (do we need this, its just the above two added up...)
Opening Weekend domestic: 70m

free screenings are this wed (May 24th) so we should get a LOT more user reviews after that.

Theecliff

Banned
Thinking it'll have good legs if reports of it being a great movie are true. I hope to god it does better than the turd that was Suicide Squad.
i have no doubt that it'll be a better film than that enormous piece of shit but i do doubt it'll make as much money :/

opricnik

Banned
Singaporen here , Wonder Woman is well known in East Asia not just SEA. The next most popular SH should be Xmen.

I agree with Joker but no body know the other two Villain. Why are you denying that DC trinity and Spider man are freaking well known outside of US?

Wonder woman is nobody outside of UK and USA.
Just like XBox.

all these characters are more popular then her , all mcu movie holder/avengers etc, venom,goblin,doc ock, etc

she is just more popular version of Captain Marvel thats it.

well, looking at Google Trends since 2004, there does seem to be a distinct drop-off in interest for "Wonder Woman" across the atlantic

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/c7wm7Ye.png[/img]

also, people in general (as opposed to enthusiast communities) seem to care very little about wonder woman

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nKRI8Tp.png[/IMG]

Huh interesting....

Does Google tread take localization into consideration and does it only get search result that passes though it ? I think Google is only the most popular search engine in English speaking countries and if you need your result in English , will this affect its results ?

opricnik

Banned
Huh interesting....

Does Google tread take localization into consideration and does it only get search result that passes though it ? I think Google is only the most popular search engine in English speaking countries or if you need your result in English , will this affect its results ?
what

google is 1 in every fucking country .

stop trying to be justify things for sake of it.

Mesoian

- Domestic: 110M
- Foreign: 130M
- Worldwide: 240M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 40M

Yup. I think it's going to have a strong opening before people see it's another DCEU movie, with all that entails, and it loses steam almost immediately.

Farsi

I wouldn't put too much stock into the google trends, alot of factors are in play there. Ant-Man was a new character to the MCU so the curiosity was there to google him. Wonder Woman is a iconic character on mostly name recognition and not interest. That's why although the marketing campaign for Wonder Woman has been putrid I don't think it would shock anyone if she comes close, if not doubles Ant-Man's opening weekend.

what

google is 1 in every fucking country .

stop trying to be justify things for sake of it.

I have edited to to and , and you are almost right.

its most popular in most countries.

http://returnonnow.com/internet-marketing-resources/2015-search-engine-market-share-by-country/

Edit

My point on the localization was that that most will search in their native language , i wonder if Goggle will capture that .

Edit again

Found it!

https://support.google.com/trends/answer/4359550?hl=en

If you enter a search term using non-Latin characters, you'll only see data from countries or regions that use those characters.

For example, if you enter "ねこ", the Japanese characters for cat, you won't see much data for the United States since many people in the United States will use cat as their search term.

To compare searches for Japanese characters for cat to searches for cat in English, search for both terms by combining them with a + sign "ねこ + cat".

I guess Goggle trends will only work in English speaking countries or countries that have not localized their name. I wonder how much will change if Google trends will do that?

Opening weekend Domestic: 90mil
Total Domestic: 250mil
Worldwide Total: 650mil

I'm thinking with good word of mouth, Wonder Woman should perform in line with Man of Steel, which I consider a win for DC.

This is going to be a hard one to predict because so many factors are in clear opposition of each other.

But here's my shot in the dark:

OW: $95m
Dom: $240m
Int: $300m
Total: $540m

Boke1879

I say it'll open anywhere from 88-93 million. Good reviews could push that higher. It doing as good as MOS would be great.

WW I'm expecting it to make from 600-650 million. Would love that number to be higher if WOM and the movie itself is good.

It also seems to play better for a younger audience than BvS or SS.

I see a few posts about people worried about Pirates eating into it. Pirates comes out this week. So it'll be in its 2nd week when WW comes out. I just don't think it'll have much impact.

I am curious. Since it'll be Summer. How the weekday totals will look.

El Topo

When Iron Man can be a thing, potentially anything can.

And no one has said otherwise.

You are totally ignoring my post err?

For an in-depth discussion we would have to delve into the term itself and its definition, as well as (measurable) criteria. That is without taking into account that we likely do not have the required data/statistics (e.g. surveys). So let us look at it in general and not worry about it too much.

I would expect a global icon to be well-known across the world. Recognition alone seems insufficient, so I would demand that the character has had cultural impact around the world. I would expect such a character to appear in (pop) culture to a noticeable extent over the years, be that directly in media (e.g. movies) or as reference (e.g. in articles). Either way, the character would find its way into the public consciousness.

Now all of this is very difficult to measure, if at all, not to mention the plethora of problems and factors to take into account. Yet at the very least I would expect historical cultural visibility. Articles that mention the character, works of art that reference her, all of this over many years and to an extent where it is hard to overlook her. That's simply not the case for Germany. Whether it is the case for other countries I cannot tell, but I have my doubts.

I don't think BO results are indicative of that, unless the movie performs sensationally.

There is an entire wikipedia page for Cultural impact of Wonder Woman and her own page has a tl:dr version for Feminist icon, Pacifist icon and LGBT icon

We are talking about her relevance specifically outside the US. You will notice that the Wikipedia page is very barren if you exclude the US.

I see a few posts about people worried about Pirates eating into it. Pirates comes out this week. So it'll be in its 2nd week when WW comes out. I just don't think it'll have much impact.

I am curious. Since it'll be Summer. How the weekday totals will look.
Domestically, it probably won't matter. Overseas though, Pirates is probably going to suck all the air out of the room until Transformers.
probably down to some really strong marketing.

Marketing would account for its strong opening weekend. That audiences kept going to see it week after week is the most baffling box office story of 2016.

And no one has said otherwise.

For an in-depth discussion we would have to delve into the term itself and its definition, as well as (measurable) criteria. That is without taking into account that we likely do not have the required data/statistics (e.g. surveys). So let us look at it in general and not worry about it too much.

I would expect a global icon to be well-known across the world. Recognition alone seems insufficient, so I would demand that the character has had cultural impact around the world. I would expect such a character to appear in (pop) culture to a noticeable extent over the years, be that directly in media (e.g. movies) or as reference (e.g. in articles). Either way, the character would find its way into the public consciousness.

Now all of this is very difficult to measure, if at all, not to mention the plethora of problems and factors to take into account. Yet at the very least I would expect historical cultural visibility. Articles that mention the character, works of art that reference her, all of this over many years and to an extent where it is hard to overlook her. That's simply not the case for Germany. Whether it is the case for other countries I cannot tell, but I have my doubts.

I don't think BO results are indicative of that, unless the movie performs sensationally.

We are talking about her relevance specifically outside the US. You will note that the Wikipedia page is very barren if you exclude the US.

I have linked two Female Singers Songs that is partly inspired by WW, even the title include her name.....

Top Bottom