• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office performance

zsynqx

Oh don't worry it's easy: a lot of people liked the movie and didn't care about the hyperbolic critics.

There's nothing baffling about it out there, in the real world.
If Wonder Woman gets good reviews, what will be the excuse then? I mean if there was some sort of anti DC bias amongst critics, that film would surely be affected as well right?

y2dvd

I think it'll do great regardless of critical reception, even though early impressions are already positive.

Fury451

Banned
I'm guessing worldwide on the low end will be $300 mil. I expect it to hit about $400 mil, and best case scenario about $700 mil.

Seems to be reviewing well which is nice, but not sure if this will be an uber hit or a modest success. Probably won't flop though.

If Wonder Woman gets good reviews, what will be the excuse then? I mean if there was some sort of anti DC bias amongst critics, that film would surely be affected as well right?

No, man. You don't get it. The critics are out to get DC! They're all on Marvel's payroll! Always have been! Always will be!

20mjh7e.png

25QWfAA.png

08-dark-knight-rotten-tomatoes.jpg

man_file_1066168_09.jpg

85lf8i9.png

Kinsei

Banned
I expect it will do quite well opening weekend but drop off pretty fast unless it gets good reviews.

Not sure how much it will make total as I have no clue how much the average blockbuster grosses.

No, man. You don't get it. The critics are out to get DC! They're all on Marvel's payroll! Always have been! Always will be!

20mjh7e.png

25QWfAA.png

08-dark-knight-rotten-tomatoes.jpg

man_file_1066168_09.jpg

85lf8i9.png

I should watch the Lego Batman Movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Jokes aside, you're delusional if you think this is doing less than 650 minimum WW. Good reviews plus iconic hero plus first legit female superhero film plus dat Pine scent plus post credit Batman reading Wonder Woman's what's app message.

Damn, I went into joke mode.

Anyway, 650 is the base. Worldwide open is gonna be at least 2-300 million alone.

Catdaddy

I think it’ll depend on reviews/word of mouth, if it gets good reviews and word of mouth well north of 500M WW. If it gets panned by critics and audiences, 200M WW.

pestul

Wasn't the film screened for critics and the reception was very positive? I think it's going to score very well on RT (>70%). I could be way off base, but I think even with a 90%+ RT it still won't make it to $700M WW though.

LosDaddie

Banned
From everything Patty has said and others, it seems like it will be a lot more family/kid-friendly than the other 3 movies.

But also takes place during World War I

Speaking of, let's have a heart-warming pic
DAY5iKBVYAAaJu3.jpg

https://twitter.com/SassyMamainLA/status/866443253146570752

Yeah the WWI bit is what is giving me pause. They should have targeted this for little girls instead of 30 something male comic book fans. Disney accidentally made a girl comic book movie and it was a big hit... Frozen. Doesn't have to be that PG, but actual war violence is probably going to be too much.

I guess I'm probably going to have to watch the movie first to see for myself.

Anoxida

If it ends up being critically acclaimed and a nice word of mouth then I can see it being a relatively slow burner.

OW: 68
Domestic: 180
International: 450

Total: 630

Honestly don't think it'll go as good with the male audience as some people think here. We're getting there but not yet, especially not in asia.

If it's good then I really hope I'm wrong.

Edit: 68 not 58.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
- Domestic: $230,000,000
- Foreign: $250,000,000
- Worldwide: $470,000,000
- Opening Weekend domestic: $74,000,000
- Production Budget: $$

Oersted

And no one has said otherwise.

To put it blunt, this discussion is entirely pointless. Before comic movies exploded, the only worldwide relevant comic characters were Superman, Batman and Spiderman. As Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Suicide Squad (to a lesser extent) and Guardians of the Galaxy have shown, you can have worldwide success without being worldwide icons.

And Wonder Woman is already prerelease better known than most of the aforementioned characters.

a916

The packed schedule is going to hurt it more than anything... Mostly Despicable Me because I don't see Mummy or Pirates making that significant of a dent.

pestul

The packed schedule is going to hurt it more than anything... Mostly Despicable Me because I don't see Mummy or Pirates making that significant of a dent.
Pirates and Despicable Me will probably hurt the International gross more than anything. I think WW will be quite big domestically.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

- Domestic: 225 million
- Foreign: 400 million
- Worldwide: 625 million
- Opening Weekend domestic: 85 million

Slightly under Man of Steel or Dr. Strange, but well above Thor, Captain America, or even Ant Man. Seems like a safe bet if the movie is as decent as early reviews indicate.

ReiGun

Thinking critics were hyperbolic in their reviews =! thinking critics have an agenda.

opricnik

Banned
Jokes aside, you're delusional if you think this is doing less than 650 minimum WW. Good reviews plus iconic hero plus first legit female superhero film plus dat Pine scent plus post credit Batman reading Wonder Woman's what's app message.

Damn, I went into joke mode.

Anyway, 650 is the base. Worldwide open is gonna be at least 2-300 million alone.

Lol 650M minimum what?

Logan which was much more popular then this movie and barely made those numbers yes you can say it was rated r but then it wasnt crowded as WW and 3D could effect to. Guardians 2 which one of the most popular comic book movies is going to make 850 in the end you think wonder woman solo movie 650m

lol?

opricnik

Banned

Pirates made 1Billion last time and its not gonna stop this time either.
Mummy looks decent too.

Despicable me isnt even direct competitor

DeathyBoy

Banned
Lol 650M minimum what?

Logan which was much more popular then this movie and barely made those numbers yes you can say it was rated r but then it wasnt crowded as WW and 3D could effect to. Guardians 2 which one of the most popular comic book movies is going to make 850 in the end you think wonder woman solo movie 650m

lol?

Okay

Geist-

Box office-wise, it will do the worst out of all the Snyder-verse DCCU movies and everyone will blame that failure on the lead being a woman, instead of blaming it on the lack of advertising or it just being a bad movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Box office-wise, it will do the worst out of all the Snyder-verse DCCU movies and everyone will blame that failure on the lead being a woman, instead of blaming it on the lack of advertising or it just being a bad movie.

Except the reviews are very positive so far

Busty

Banned
This feels like it could be huge opening weekend but the real question is the second weekend.

I think Warners will heavily court the female audience and if they play up the 'mother/daughter' on a night out to see WW angle this could be one of if not the, biggest film of the summer.

A billion dollhairs

If Gal knows someone with a doll factory that should be about forty grand.

Top Bottom