• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office performance

Box office-wise, it will do the worst out of all the Snyder-verse DCCU movies and everyone will blame that failure on the lead being a woman, instead of blaming it on the lack of advertising or it just being a bad movie.
There is no lack of advertising. They just started a month before the movie releases.

Different strategies for different films. The way WB has handled WW reminds me of how Fox advertises the X-Men films, especially the Wolverine solos. I think they've done a pretty solid job so far.

This is poor logic considering their previous films had terrible word of mouth and still printed money. You don't change a working strategy. I hate that this reeks of the "she's a woman, so we're gonna dial it back" plan that's so prevalent in Hollywood, but, yeah.

Except the reviews are very positive so far

There are no reviews. Only reactions.

The "reactions" for BVS and SS were similar.

Theorry

This is poor logic considering their previous films had terrible word of mouth and still printed money. You don't change a working strategy. I hate that this reeks of the "she's a woman, so we're gonna dial it back" plan that's so prevalent in Hollywood, but, yeah.

Those were from fans not critics tho.

Btw

"Umberto Gonzalez‏
��DCEU UPDATE��

Positive early reactions on WONDER WOMAN worked because 1st choice numbers have gone up according to the latest tracking!"

Pagusas

Elden Member
Part of me hopes it does really well to help make more female lead movies get greenlit

Part of me hopes it tankes horribly so we can end this failed DC cinematic universe experiment quicker and hit the reset button sooner.

Part of me hopes it does really well to help make more female lead movies get greenlit

Part of me hopes it tankes horribly so we can end this failed DC cinematic universe experiment quicker and hit the reset button sooner.

Hey man, 5th times the charm! Marvel's 5th outing gave us The First Avenger too.

The Kree

Banned

There isn't going to be a reset if it fails. They'll just shelf the women and keep giving the male characters infinite do-overs like they've always done.

Theecliff

Banned
If Wonder Woman gets good reviews, what will be the excuse then? I mean if there was some sort of anti DC bias amongst critics, that film would surely be affected as well right?
oh you just know people will try and contort their argument so that it still fits the 'critics hate dc' conspiracy narrative

like 'they couldn't give it bad reviews because it's the first big female led superhero film and they'd get to much flak otherwise' or something

I didn't realize Lucy did $460 million worldwide. I know Scarlett has name power but that's a bigger audience than I thought that might be a good target audience for WW + quite a few more.

I'm going to go $650 million, worldwide.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Reactions from fan bloggers =/= reactions from critics. People with some semblance of credibility are the ones reacting to WW. Even if the reviews end up just being "fine", it's still more praise than most of these people gave previous movies.

MisterHero

I love the DCCU so far, but I have low expectations.

1. Baggage from BvS
2. I can believe Americans are highly anticipating a female superhero movie, but not so much for the rest of the world.

$300-400 mil is my guess. $500 mil max

I look forward to being wrong

Phased

I think it's gonna flop a bit, but maybe not bomb super hard. I haven't seen a lot of hype for the movie aside from WW on some cans of Dr.Pepper.

I can't see myself seeing this in theaters unless critical reception is amazing. I've been burned by Superman, BvS and then Suicide Squad so I'll probably sit this one out.

Worldwide take probably in the 300-400m range.

70-80 million Opening Weekend

150-200 Domestic

400-500 Worldwide

And then an explosion on home with the extended cut where you see Gal Gadot half naked.

But in all seriousness... it'll have a successful opening week I think. It's starting off the Summer Movies with no opening week competition. Wouldn't surprise me to see it do better than Pirates after the rough reviews have begun to trickle in.

Also, the following weeks competition is The Mummy reboot... which I think is going ot bomb. Wonder Woman is going ot have 2 strong weeks at #1 (dropping to #2 by week 3 when Cars 3 destroys the box office)

kswiston

I was thinking $90M opening weekend and $220M total a week ago, but I could see it going higher than that with good WOM.

I think $375M sounds right for overseas, but that is a bit of a shot in the dark.

CazTGG

I love the DCCU so far, but I have low expectations.

1. Baggage from BvS
2. I can believe Americans are highly anticipating a female superhero movie, but not so much for the rest of the world.

All the world is waiting.

On the topic at hand, i'm expecting roughly similar numbers as the first Captain America film:
Opening: 55 million
Domestic gross: 160 million
Overseas: 250 million
Total: 410 million.

Busty

Banned
I was giving some thought to going all in and nailing my colours to the "$400m+ in the US" mast. I'm basing this off of nothing more than both Hunger Games 1 & 2 each doing over $400m in North America.

Given that those first two Hunger Games films really caught lightning in a bottle and engaged both male and female audiences I think that WW could possibly do the same but it's certainly not a sure thing.

Of course for this to happen WW would have to have an opening weekend better than Suicide Squad's and probably nearer to BVS's which is a big ask. It's a long shot to be sure but not impossible either.

Everything over 500 is really good, 400m would still be fine, albeit a bit disappointing. I really having trouble seeing this doing under 400m worldwide.

Nategc20

Banned
How is that a joke?

I predict the same. It won't be Catwoman levels, but it make not even chart number 1 in its first weekend. That would be a big flop for WB.

WB poisoned the well unfortunately.
No they hasnt. Suicide squad and BvS was shit and still cleared pass 500 million easily. Wonder woman will get near that lifetime.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The delusion here is strong

Slightly over 400 million worldwide at the most

Any more and we would get into Dr strange territory... And if you think it will do better than that film...

300 mil domestic
100 mil international

You might not want to be throwing the word "delusion" around considering these posts.

First of all, Doctor Strange made $677m so "any more than $400m" is factually not in "Doctor Strange territory."

Second of all, Doctor Strange made $232m domestic and $445m internationally. So your split is hilariously wrong.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No they hasnt. Suicide squad and BvS was shit and still cleared pass 500 million easily. Wonder woman will get near that lifetime.

To be fair, BvS had Batman and Superman coming together in a movie for the first time.

Suicide Squad had the combined appeal of Harley Quinn, Will Smith and The Joker.

Wonder Woman doesn't have anything like that.

- Domestic: 194M
- Foreign: 213M
- Worldwide: 407M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 71.5M

At the very least I'm probably way low on the foreign side since I'm basing this on Captain America's performance and low expectations. >_>

N7.Angel

Which fans? I am pretty sure R-Rated Harley movie like Deadpool would bring more money and fans then Wonder Woman.

Either you are underestimating the Harley crowd or over WW.

Definitely, I don't give a shit about WW but I'm fucking in for a HQ solo movie.

I've always seen WW as a sidekick character, maybe this movie will change that.

crazyprac

I don't know but my gf actually wants to go see it in theaters. I mean she's really not into super hero movies but will watch it on rental. Nevertheless this the first time she actually asked if we're going to see it. I questioned her and she said having a female lead is different and refreshing.

DeathyBoy

Banned
To be fair, BvS had Batman and Superman coming together in a movie for the first time.

Suicide Squad had the combined appeal of Harley Quinn, Will Smith and The Joker.

Wonder Woman doesn't have anything like that.

People underselling a strong female lead superhero film

Top Bottom