• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office performance

Laieon

- Domestic: 165m
- Foreign: 280m
- Worldwide: 445m

I'd argue that Wonder Woman is a much higher profile character than those two characters were at the time.

Maybe in the west. I teach in Korea, quite a few of my students have absolutely no clue who she is.

shira

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales May 26, 2017
Wonder Woman June 2, 2017
The Mummy June 9, 2017
Despicable Me 3 June 15, 2017
Cars 3 June 16, 2017
Transformers: The Last Knight June 21, 2017

Packed summer schedule it's not going to make as much as you think.
There are only so many 3D and IMAX screens available

Compared to BvS
The Divergent Series: Allegiant March 18, 2016
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice March 25, 2016
The Jungle Book April 15, 2016

Compared to Suicide Squad
Jason Bourne July 29, 2016
Suicide Squad August 5, 2016
Sully September 9, 2016

SpaceWolf

Banned
If you only have the American view, that might be true. However, she isn't big at all outside of that so it's fair to compare.

Neither were Captain America and Thor at the time either.

I mean, if Wonder Woman does similar numbers than those films, it certainly wouldn't be a failure by any stretch..but I definitely think it'll be viewed as more of a financial disappointment by the studio and the world at large. Especially considering how her character was already deliberately seeded into Batman V Superman as a kind of backdoor pilot for this film.

Maybe in the west. I teach in Korea, quite a few of my students have absolutely no clue who she is.

But they would have known about Thor and Captain America?

Again, I'm not saying Wonder Woman is world renown in all territories, just that people should be more aware of her as a character in comparison to Cap and Thor a few years ago.

If you only have the American view, that might be true. However, she isn't big at all outside of that so it's fair to compare.
Wonder Woman is well known world wide, more than Cap or Thor or even Iron man before IM1 by a huge margin . I will even say WW is still more well known than Cap and Thor before Avenger.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Packed summer schedule it's not going to make as much as you think.
There are only so many 3D and IMAX screens available

Compared to BvS

Compared to Suicide Squad

Only POTC is direct competition. Cars and DM are a different audience entirely. And The Mummy luuuul

Wonder Woman is well known world wide, more than Cap or Thor or even Iron man before IM1 by a huge margin . I will even say WW is still more well known than Cap and Thor before Avenger.

Of course she is. She's in that iconic group of 4 with Spidey, Bats, and Superman. Her name at least evokes an idea or image of her, even if no one really knows anything about her.

I think it depends on word of mouth more than anything.

Of course she is. She's in that iconic group of 4 with Spidey, Bats, and Superman. Her name at least evokes an idea or image of her, even if no one really knows anything about her.

You guys are American? I really, really don't know if she belongs beside Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

opricnik

Banned

lmao what , she is in D Level of popularity. I am pretty sure people know green goblin ,dr octopus or joker more then she.

Speaking from a UK perspective Wonder Woman is absolutely one of the most well known characters. Don't underestimate the shows from the 70s like hers and the Incredible Hulk. Her status now is not comparable to Cap and Thor when their first movies launched. I'd say you have the big 3 and then Robin, Hulk and Wonder Woman (and Iron Man now).

As for this movie I'll say

US: 220m
WW : 650

Which I think given how terrible the DCU films have been and they've created no momentum for this would be a good result.

SpaceWolf

Banned
600M WW, Which is good for female drive action films!

I'd probably agree with this if the likes of Resident Evil and Underworld hadn't been doing gangbusters for ages.

Although in retrospect, that comes across as overly dismissive. Any successful female-driven action film can only help to slowly strip away Hollywood's aversion to committing to female-lead vehicles in similar genres, which have been so desperately lacking, especially in relation to superhero movies. So if this does well, hopefully it'll prove to be a positive influence on the industry, in addition to Captain Marvel in a couple of years down the line.

Ahasverus

Wonder Woman is popular wherever the JL cartoon aired. That meaning, almost worldwide.
I'd probably agree with this if the likes of Resident Evil and Underworld hadn't been doing gangbusters for ages.
Underworld is a flop franchise and Resident Evil hasn't cracked 500M last time I checked.

entremet

Come on, dude.

come on. this is absolutely not going to bomb.

and if by 'poisoned the well' you mean the quality of their last two films, batman v superman didn't stop suicide squad from being an enormous success regardless of both films respective (low) quality. and it's looking like wonder woman is gearing to be their first properly well received film too.
Ok. Second week.

I'd love to proven wrong. I'm also watching it and a fan of the character.

You guys are American? I really, really don't know if she belongs beside Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

Singaporen here , Wonder Woman is well known in East Asia not just SEA. The next most popular SH should be Xmen.

lmao what , she is in D Level of popularity. I am pretty sure people know green goblin ,dr octopus or joker more then she.

I agree with Joker but no body know the other two Villain. Why are you denying that DC trinity and Spider man are freaking well known outside of US?

Glass Rebel

These discussions about popularity are so pointless in a world where Marvel made successful movies out of Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and the frickin Guardians of the Galaxy.

Nev

Banned
300-400~

Going against Pirates of the Caribbean was suicide. Lmao at the genious execs responsible for it.

Didn't say popularity wise. Just her name. You say Wonder Woman, even to kids and adults that don't give a shit about her or really know much of anything about her outside maybe "gold lasso", and they'll know who she is.

I really hate the revisionism going on around this film that she isn't an icon. She is.

Ahasverus

300-400~

Going against Pirates of the Caribbean was suicide. Lmao at the genious execs responsible for it.
When PoTC flops critically and WW doesn't, paired with franchise fatigue and a not so stellar Jonny Depp public image, I think WW might not be hurt as much as one would think by that movie.
Besides, it releases 1 week after, just enough time for lukewarm WoM for PoTC to leave it free highway.

Platy

I really hate the revisionism going on around this film that she isn't an icon. She is.

She is in the unique position of being an icon AND being an inexistent franchise because DC never cared to make a proper WW movie or cartoon or tv series for 40 years

These discussions about popularity are so pointless in a world where Marvel made successful movies out of Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and the frickin Guardians of the Galaxy.

Nobody is saying that the movie can't be successful because of her perceived lack of popularity in some places. It's just that as of right now she's certainly not Batman / Superman / Spider-Man tier in a lot of countries. It has no bearing on the movie's success but it's just a ridiculous claim.

Peru

Comic book character relevance to a mass audience is relatively unimportant to a film's performance.

The biggest superhero character in the world is the MARVEL studios logo.

Marvel is the brand that sells. It doesn't matter that GOTG or Ant-Man are unknown - they have a franchise in the MARVEL studio films that's bigger than anything in the world of cinema right now.

Wonder Woman may be a bigger comic book character historically than Doctor Strange, but she, and the DC logo, is not bigger than Marvel films, and that's what sells Doctor Strange. She's a newbie to the movie market.

If the movie makes good money then it's a success. You can't say WW is 'supposed' to be this big, or bigger than that character. Marvel is a big movie brand, bigger than any other superhero brand.

Nev

Banned
When PoTC flops critically and WW doesn't, paired with franchise fatigue and a not so stellar Jonny Depp public image, I think WW might not be hurt as much as one would think by that movie.
Besides, it releases 1 week after, just enough time for lukewarm WoM for PoTC to leave it free highway.

It's a Pirates of the Caribbean movie released in June. 4 was a horrible movie and it still managed to break 1b.

It's absolutely going to hurt WW a lot whatever the critics say. But going against Spiderman would be even more of a suicide so I guess this was the right choice.

Flavius

- Domestic: 110M
- Foreign: 130M
- Worldwide: 240M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 40M

Good first reply. I think this is about where it will slot, numbers-wise.

Shame, too...particularly if it's legitimately as good as the early word suggests.

Doing my part...I'll be taking my daughters to an early screening.

Glass Rebel

Nobody is saying that the movie can't be successful because of her perceived lack of popularity in some places. It's just that as of right now she's certainly not Batman / Superman / Spider-Man tier in a lot of countries. It has no bearing on the movie's success but it's just a ridiculous claim.

I mean, Superman ain't Batman/Spider-Man tier either. And depending on what you look at, nothing is Spider-Man tier.

rogue74

- Domestic: 110M
- Foreign: 130M
- Worldwide: 240M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 40M

Your opening weekend is way too low. In fact, everything here is way too low. You are basically predicting this does worse than Ghostbusters.

What do you base this on?

Probably not, but to be fair a decent amount of them have never lived in a world without the MCU.

Thanks for reminding how old i am.

I take it back , i have no idea what are popular with kids nowadays. Do they still like to play M rated games and violent animations like beyblade to show that they are edgy and cool ?

El Topo

If you asked a hundred people at random on a German street you'd be lucky to find five that know about her.

This is all I was debating. WW's name recognition is up there, regardless how you feel about her.

No one is doubting that she is famous in the US. People are arguing about her supposed global icon status. How much evidence is there to back that up?

If you asked a hundred people at random on a German street you'd be lucky to find five that know about her.

No one is doubting that she is famous in the US. People are arguing about her supposed global icon status. How much evidence is there to back that up?

Did they air the Wonder Woman TV show in Germany? Or the Justice League cartoon? Or Batman v Superman?

No one is doubting that she is famous in the US. People are arguing about her supposed global icon status. How much evidence is there to back the idea that she is this global icon?

She was quite popular within my region when i was growing up or even just 10 years ago. Not sure if she is popular with the kids now .

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i think there's a big untapped market here - plus the positive early wom means this will be a critical and commercial hit

Ahasverus

I live far from the US and WW is still an icon. People might not know much about her, but she's recognizable for sure.

It depends on how much impact the 70's show and the JL cartoon had. In most countries there were only 2 TV channels in the 70's and there's a high chance the series got syndicated about everywhere. Then the DCTV was also a global hit and JL was THE show of its time so that's another generational bracket covered. Then there are kids which might be the hardest to sell to, but again, there are things like Injustice and Super Hero Girls where she's well featured.

People predicting under 400M don't know what they're doing,

Opening weekend: ~$94m

Domestic: ~$300m

Foreign: ~$475m

POTC outside the US makes it harder (for me) to gauge otherwise I think it'll be another "It did well but not what WB wanted/expected" situation. If critical reception/WOM is positive enough to give it legs I could see it do more in addition to just on her name alone.

I reckon at least 550 WW (pun intended) and most in the US. I'm gonna say 650. Why?

ww-27.gif

A lot of people (okay, older people) do remember that show the same way they still remember Adam West Batman.

also, despite BvS and SS, there's still a lot of goodwill towards Wonder Woman and a desire to see a good female-starring superhero film. Especially if its not trash.

Top Bottom