• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Elections 2017 |OT| Voting right wing parties into parliament since 1949

Dingens

that's "better than expected... better as in, the fucking övp "only" got 30%
SPÖ and FPÖ are probably going to trade places after the votes from bigger cities are counted

What rubs me the wrong way is that (all) these parties had the choice between several alternative propagandas, with at least one of them which could have depicted the migrants favourably. These alterantive propagandas could have had done the job. [...]

nope, this would not have worked. Not anymore. The images and experiences from the crisis are vastly different when compared to the German case for example.
like 1/3rd of the entire country lives close to the eastern border, the main entry point for most refugees. This made them VERY visible to most of the population. I've been told by practically everyone I know that they saw "hordes of people" walk west-wards on the highways. Didn't help that Hungary sent them in droves, which meant that groups of 5.000 to 15.000 people a day walked through border villages with like <2.000 inhabitants. Those were incredibly powerful images.
And then there's the responsibility issue. As a neutral, non-nato country, people feel like they have to pay for the shit others are causing (and I can somewhat sympathize with that).

edt: OE24 is a shitty source
orf says
ÖVP, 30,2, FPÖ 26,8, SPÖ 26,3

error margin is still 2,4%
so... nothing is decided (yet)

Zatoth

G0ChxkW.png

My comment was not against people in this forum of course.
Just a general discontent to the results

Oh sure, just saying. We did our best, and it wasn't good enough. Woohoooooo

Give me that Schwankungsbreite, please.
Take some of that blue and other blue and make it red. Even if it barely matters.

that's "better than expected... better as in, the fucking övp "only" got 30%
SPÖ and FPÖ are probably going to trade places after the votes from bigger cities are counted
Wouldn't they have accounted for that in the prognosis?

can anyone tell me why kurz is so popular? i mean kudos to that guy for getting this far with such an young age but he doesnt seem to be promoting any values that young voters would like and for old voters i could imagine he comes accross as a “piefke”

is it because he looks so good?

Dingens

can anyone tell me why kurz is so popular? i mean kudos to that guy for getting this far with such an young age but he doesnt seem to be promoting any values that young voters would like and for old voters i could imagine he comes accross as a “piefke”

is it because he looks so good?

he's young
no, srsly, that's the reason I got when asking people why they'd vote for him

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The biggest loser in this elections, beside Austria, is the green party. Split in two they get 7 less mandates together.

Tunoku

tumblr_m7jdqhnZ4Y1ras7i8o2_400.gif

Yeah the Green party is in shambles and it's impossible to vote for them at the moment. Well, everything is kinda in shambles.

Fliesen

I despise Kurz/ÖVP so much, I'd rather have SPÖ/FPÖ working together. Can't believe I'd say that. lol

Well, of course - because red+blue would be a tug-of-war coalition, while black+blue is pure right-wing politics

I mean, just half a year ago we were looking at the possibility of the FPÖ being the MOST voted party...

Mivey

If this is accurate, they won't have the 2/3 majority needed for constitutional amendments then.

Guess Kurz's dream of making the chancellor more powerful is dead. Phew.
Well, the last guestimate of mandates I saw gave the ÖVP 57 and the FPÖ 51, so 108. With 183 seats, a two thirds majority would need over 122.
Seems like the constitution is safe at least.

According to new estimates, ÖVP 63 and FPÖ 51. That's 114. Closer, but still a ways of.

demondays

Neo Member
We have learned aboslutely nothing from karl heinz grasser and schwarz blau

Absolutely nothing

so people have to remember a 15+ year old story while they are not allowed to learn from the last 4 years? red black was trouble for many years now, yet when people react with their votes they are "stupid"? opinions dont only work in 1 side ;-)
red changed nothing, black is rstarting.
lets see where this will go and in case of need in 4-5 years people WILL remember...

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Also Neos really can't be too happy with that result. They didn't grow at all, which is pretty damning for such a young party.

Fucking hell. Its like refugees made europeans collectively forget our values and the lessons we learned over the last 80 years.

Approved refugees and people seeking refuge and immigrants.
According to many, those terms are completely interchangeable anyway.
Synonymous with "those people that get all the free money"

so people have to remember a 15+ year old story while they are not allowed to learn from the last 4 years? red black was trouble for many years now, yet when people react with their votes they are "stupid"? opinions dont only work in 1 side ;-)
lets see where this will go and in case of need in 4-5 years people WILL remember...
Excuse me for preferring stagnation to regression in pretty much every social area.

Dingens

The fuck?
restarting by choosing a new color, now THAT's real change.

Fliesen

Also Neos really can't be too happy with that result. They didn't grow at all, which is pretty damning for such a young party.

SPÖ: Happy to be 2nd (maybe) and happy to be not completely dismantled, sad that they likely won't be in the government
ÖVP: Happy to be 1st
FPÖ: Happy to be as strong as never before (but secretly super sad that they've been way down from the euphoria around the presidential election.)
Neos: Happy they will still make it into the Nationalrat.
Pilz: Happy they might make it into the Nationalrat
Greens: Total and utter desaster.

The fuck?
restarting by choosing a new color, now THAT's real change.

Yeah... honestly. come back in a few months, when the Landeshauptleute come back from being on the down-low and will start trying to pull the strings again.
Kurz was all show, no substance. At least the substance is a little less brown than the FPÖ :/

I won't blame anyone for voting ÖVP, really. But i will blame them for pretending they did so because the party "restarted" and "modernized" themselves. Because then you're not a conservative, but rather an easily manipulated doofus.

Mivey

Liberalism (in the non-US terminology) never ever had a strong standing in Austria. I believe most of their voters are just disgruntled ÖVP voters, who want just a younger more flexible conservative party. As such, and considering how election was mostly driven by topics far removed from what the Neos stand and fight for, just holding the same result is great.
Still, as a Neos voter, I am still fairly pessimistic about their long term future, sure. Still, for now they can keep doing their work as before, unaffected by the veritable storm around them.

Top Bottom