• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weiss, Yang, and Nora are the peak

why waste time loving any of the others

Careful. She'll break your legs.

tumblr_mts61xdPFZ1shdfeho1_500.gif

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
One of the other fun things is that pretty much every named character is based on a character from fairy tales/folklore/mythology. Team JNPR is confirmed to be based on characters who have cross-dressed in their respective mythologies.
The generally agreed upon ones. I'm going to leave out some of the smaller characters:
Ruby Rose -
Little Red Riding Hood
Weiss Schnee -
Snow White. Her name is literally "White Snow" in German.
Blake Belladona-
Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Yang Xiao Long
Goldilocks
Jaune Arc -
Joan of Arc
Pyrrha Nikos -
Achilles
Nora Valkyrie -
Thor
Lie Ren -
Hua Mulan
Professor Ozpin -
The Wizard of Oz
Glynda Goodwitch -
Glinda, Good Witch of the North
Roman Torchwick -
Romeo Candlewick/Lampwick (Pinocchio)
Cinder Fall -
Cinderella
Sun Wukong -
Sun Wukong, the Monkey King
Cardin Winchester -
Henry Beaufort, Cardinal of Winchester (Sentence Joan of Arc to death)
Penny -
Pinocchio
Velvet Scarlatina -
The Velveteen Rabbit
Oooo!! Is this the part of the topic where we discuss the shows naming conventions?! I have another set ready to go!

Summer Rose <-- Rubys Mom
Cinder Fall
Winter
Schnee
<-- S2 Spoiler
You can guess who the last person we are waiting for is.

I wonder what Satch's reaction will be to
Neo
will be. <--- S2 EP4

Also, the lyrics from the soundtracks are rife with story beats that haven't quite been revealed yet. Especially Red Like Roses II.

Anko

I love this show but the lines can be so cringe worthy sometimes.
I wonder if Warner will hire professional VAs for the Japanese dub they are supposedly doing. I do like Weiss's original voice though. Yang is okay too.

Also, Weiss for best girl.

So....so is Ren
a girl
?
Everyone in JNPR is
gender flipped
. Or at least, Nora used to be...

Veelk

Banned
Everyone in JNPR is
gender flipped

Right, good point. That's what I like most about this show, how referential every character is about fairy tales, which makes it feel like there is a real plan for each character.

Satch

Banned
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH @ the pink girl with the umbrella. she's serving nui harime realness

T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif

this show is a fucking mess. i love it.

coolasj19

I wonder if Warner will hire professional VAs for the Japanese dub they are supposedly doing. I do like Weiss's original voice though. Yang is okay too.
Also, Weiss for best girl.
Everyone in JNPR is
gender flipped
The Voice Actors are pulled from in-house of Rooster Teeth.
Ruby - Lindsay Jones - Achievement Hunter Editor
Weiss - Kara Eberle - Receptionist
Yang - Barbara Dunkelman - Community Manager
Blake - Arryn Zech - Co-Directors Girlfriend

They have the Web Store Manager, Art Director, Editors, Producers, Animators, etc, all doing voices. It's impressive how fast some of them are growing into their roles. And yeah, if you know about the Warner Bros Japanese dub I'm assuming you already know this. But others don't. It's a safe assumption that they'll be getting some tier of professionals. Though, being a professional doesn't mean much if they are the quality likes of Funimations' C and D teams.
I wonder what Satch's reaction will be to Neo will be.
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH @ the pink girl with the umbrella. she's serving nui harime realness
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif
T5ZcrYM.gif

this show is a fucking mess. i love it.
Hahaha. Yup. Neo is 30 seconds a new character and she's already a favorite.

coolasj19

I hope we see more of bunny girl.
One of the Production Diaries is all about her and her weapon and how they picked her design. Even her entire team has been detailed. We'll see more of her.
Neo is the worst design in the show so far. Her eyes look dumb.
*runs from Satch's wrath*
You best run from me !! She looks amazing !! By far the most immediately likable design in the show.
this is disgusting
youre disgusting
Watch the trailers too. Maybe on Thursday so you can pretend there's a new episode.

Evilisk

Oh cool, nice to see this made when I just recently finished the first season lol

Still have to catch up on the current episode but
the food fight
in episode 1 (of vol.2) was pretty cool.

Weiss, Yang, and Nora are the peak

100% agreed with this, though the monkey with gun-chuks is cool and it's criminal that Nora barely gets screentime.

So there are four shots left in the season 2 trailer that haven't been part of an episode yet:

1.) Some kind of formal dance, with Jaune and Pyrrha being the focus

2.) Pyrrha dueling Cardin in an amphitheater

3.) Pyrrha dueling Mercury in an amphitheater

4.) A pack of beowulves running down the streets of Vale.

Based on this, I'm assuming we have a JNPR-focused episode coming in the next two weeks.

Also for those seeking more RWBY-related content besides teh episodes, trailers, and production diaries:

RT Ladies Podcast - special episode of the RT Podcast featuring the four leads, from the season finale / DVD launch of season 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlAJvrdyAFU

RWBY: Grim Eclipse - A RWBY fan game picked up by Rooster Teeth for full production. Announced at RTX 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_A116ynks0

RT Podcast 191 - featuring Monty. Pre-Season 1 RWBY discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymVnsIUWLY

Oooo!! Is this the part of the topic where we discuss the shows naming conventions?! I have another set ready to go!

Summer Rose <-- Rubys Mom
Cinder Fall
Winter
Schnee
<-- S2 Spoiler
You can guess who the last person we are waiting for is.

I wonder what Satch's reaction will be to
Neo
will be. <--- S2 EP4

Also, the lyrics from the soundtracks are rife with story beats that haven't quite been revealed yet. Especially Red Like Roses II.

I noticed that too. The lyrics in all of the vocal songs have links back to the story or particular characters. I really like that.

OMG WEISS AND YANG'S NEW OUTFITS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

Yeah, the new outfits are actually pretty cool. The volume 2 trailer showed scenes from that fight with them in their original outfits so I guess they wanted to keep it a secret until the actual episodes started airing.

Nice OT. I see myself coming here from time to time.

Glad you like it. After making that last thread on the Japanese licensing deal it became painfully noticeable that there was no place to discuss RWBY on GAF so it wasn't something I could ignore any longer.

So there are four shots left in the season 2 trailer that haven't been part of an episode yet:

1.) Some kind of formal dance, with Jaune and Pyrrha being the focus

2.) Pyrrha dueling Cardin in an amphitheater

3.) Pyrrha dueling Mercury in an amphitheater

4.) A pack of beowulves running down the streets of Vale.

I'm wondering if they're going to deal with things in groups of
4 episodes. Like the investigation arc seems to have ended with the latest episode, so the next 4 might be about the tournament then the last 4 about the Grimm causing havok again or something like that.
I could be completely wrong though.

There's actually a Japanese fandub for the first episode. Pretty interesting to see how the characters sound in a different language, even if not's not the same actors who will be contributing to the official Warner Bros disitrbution.

EDIT: Oh, I just found a Japanese fandub trailer too. I like it.

Calcium

Banned
I wasn't a fan of the first volume, but the last few episodes are really impressing me. RWBY has always been a bit of a hurdle for me as an RT fan. I don't watch anime so the team behind the show would have to create something special to win me over. While they haven't quite managed to do that yet I think the show is certainly moving in the right direction.

The biggest misfire of the series for me was setting the show in a school. Not only does the concept come off as terribly unoriginal, but it leads to some horrible plot lines. The whole Jaune/Cardinal thread from the first volume was just painful to watch. Once the show focuses less on the tedious immature school hijinks and gets into the White Fang and Grimm stuff I'll be able to enjoy the show much more.

My fucking guilty pleasure.

Weiss is my favorite member.

Went from hating her to her being my Numero Uno Character.

Fucking love the girl to death.

IIRC Monty has said before that he pays attention to how costumes are designed in the sense that he wants to make sure that they aren't too much trouble for cosplayers to put together/gather materials for.

I imagine he put those turnarounds up with them in mind so that they can be used as references.

He also occasionally tweets out ebay and amazon links to costume pieces for characters. This season, he's done it for Neptune, Neo and alt Weiss.

SkyOdin

One of the other fun things is that pretty much every named character is based on a character from fairy tales/folklore/mythology. Team JNPR is confirmed to be based on characters who have cross-dressed in their respective mythologies.

The generally agreed upon ones. I'm going to leave out some of the smaller characters:

Ruby Rose -
Little Red Riding Hood
Weiss Schnee -
Snow White. Her name is literally "White Snow" in German.

Interestingly enough, there are actually two different Snow Whites in Grimm's fairy tales. Everyone is familiar with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, thanks to Disney. That Snow White's name in German is Schneewittchen. However, there is another Grimm fairy tale named Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot, which translates to "Snow White and Rose Red". In that story, Snow White and Rose Red are a pair of sisters named after the red and white rose bushes that grow in front of their mother's house.

Interestingly enough, the lyrics in the song in the Red Trailer actually more closely resemble the story of Snow White and Rose Red than they do Little Red Riding Hood. Snow White and Rose Red involves they two sisters befriending a black bear who is actually a golden prince under a curse that can only be broken if he reclaims a treasure from a greedy gnome.

Subitai

Yeah, I'm here to see where this pioneering work goes, despite its many deep problems. When I was at Otakon, I was surprised at how much cosplay this show got.

Interestingly enough, there are actually two different Snow Whites in Grimm's fairy tales. Everyone is familiar with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, thanks to Disney. That Snow White's name in German is Schneewittchen. However, there is another Grimm fairy tale named Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot, which translates to "Snow White and Rose Red". In that story, Snow White and Rose Red are a pair of sisters named after the red and white rose bushes that grow in front of their mother's house.

Interestingly enough, the lyrics in the song in the Red Trailer actually more closely resemble the story of Snow White and Rose Red than they do Little Red Riding Hood. Snow White and Rose Red involves they two sisters befriending a black bear who is actually a golden prince under a curse that can only be broken if he reclaims a treasure from a greedy gnome.

There's some fan speculation that Snow White and Red Rose are the inspiration for Melanie and Miltia Malachite from the Yellow Trailer, who also made a cameo in this week's episode. The club they hang out in has a bear theme, with the deadmaus inspired DJ (called DJ Deadbear by the fans) and Junior Xiong's last name being Chinese for bear (he's speculated to be Baby Bear, keeping with Yang ' s Gold I locks theme)

Hackworth

Gaf, I think I'm getting too hype for Neo. Help me escape the icecream curse by listing your favorite underrated character(s) and good scenes they were involved in.

Quoting myself with my overall opinion on the RWBY series.

More than the actual quality of the product, it's just important that it exists because American action animation is on life support, and the success of RWBY shows there's potential to escape from the network execs and investors and make an indepedent animation series online that has so much that would keep it from being made as a TV show nowadays, like a predominantly female cast, action focus, and serial storytelling. Certainly I wish I wasn't cringing constantly while watching it, but I'm glad it was made.

The production values certainly take a hit from being indie, the show often looks bad and the voice acting is decidedly not great. The serious plot elements are all checklisted from TVTropes/"homaged" wholesale from various previous shonen anime, and the humor is often a miss, falling back on Teen Titans level "lol anime" humor and sometimes the inclusion of memes.

But no matter how much I cringe while hatewatching it, I'm glad it exists and want it to succeed.

On the positive side, I like the character designs and music, and there's lots of potential for hype action, as shown in the trailers. It could make a really cool videogame.

Here's hoping Rooster Teeth finds someone to throw millions of dollars at Monty.

Resident anime reviewer on TGWTG. Actually a good reviewer overall, but hates this show with a passion. I find her hatewatching amusing though.

I'm actually looking forward to your review more once volume 2 is done. You condensed a lot of good points into a single post without use of hyperbole or insults. Felt like I was made aware of some things that I had glossed over after reading it.

Her twitter doesn't really give me the impression that she's going to be as "neutral" if that word is even appropriate in this instance. I'll still give it a look though if she does one.

Veelk

Banned
I'm actually looking forward to your review more once volume 2 is done. You condensed a lot of good points into a single post without use of hyperbole or insults. Felt like I was made aware of some things that I had glossed over after reading it.

Her twitter doesn't really give me the impression that she's going to be as "neutral" if that word is even appropriate in this instance. I'll still give it a look though if she does one.

I feel her formal reviews are actually fair, but her twitter account statements may not be. She admits she hate watches it just so she can rip it apart online, since that's fun to do with some series. It's essentially the reason I watched Walking Dead. It could be she will do a review, but considering this is essentially a freely distributed project, where as most other anime she reviews is sold as DVD's and stuff, I don't know if she will. But if she does, it will be a more objective assessment instead of the sniping she does on twitter.

And thank you. I really do want this show to succeed and realize it's own potential, because I feel it has a ton of it. I'll try to do the same with this season, and hopefully they'll do something special with it.

Gaf, I think I'm getting too hype for Neo. Help me escape the icecream curse by listing your favorite underrated character(s) and good scenes they were involved in.

Shopkeeper_surrender.png

The EntrePUNuer.

Whether its at his Dust shop ("From Dust Till Dawn") or his noodle stand ("A Simple Wok"), there is no business this man can't turn into a pun, and no pun he can't turn into a profit. I'm pretty sure he's going to turn out to be Yang's grandfather or something.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I wasn't a fan of the first volume, but the last few episodes are really impressing me. RWBY has always been a bit of a hurdle for me as an RT fan. I don't watch anime so the team behind the show would have to create something special to win me over. While they haven't quite managed to do that yet I think the show is certainly moving in the right direction.

The biggest misfire of the series for me was setting the show in a school. Not only does the concept come off as terribly unoriginal, but it leads to some horrible plot lines. The whole Jaune/Cardinal thread from the first volume was just painful to watch. Once the show focuses less on the tedious immature school hijinks and gets into the White Fang and Grimm stuff I'll be able to enjoy the show much more.

I've never watched anime either and started watching RWBY on a lark since I am a RT fan. It has been entertaining enough to hold my interest so far. I wasn't even 100% sure I was going to the RWBY panel at RTX 2014 until the day I got there but I am glad I made that choice. There was so much excitement and electricity in the air for that panel, it has definitely sealed the deal for me to keep following the series.

Quoting myself with my overall opinion on the RWBY series.

Mostly more than the actual quality of the product, it's just important that it exists because American action animation is on life support, and the success of RWBY shows there's potential to escape from the network execs and investors and make an indepedent animation series online that has so much that would keep it from being made as a TV show nowadays, like a predominantly female cast, action focus, and serial storytelling. Certainly I wish I wasn't cringing constantly while watching it, but I'm glad it was made.

The production values certainly take a hit from being indie, the show often looks bad and the voice acting is decidedly not great. The serious plot elements are all checklisted from TVTropes/"homaged" wholesale from various previous shonen anime, and the humor is often a miss, falling back on Teen Titans level "lol anime" humor and sometimes the inclusion of memes.

But no matter how much I cringe while hatewatching it, I'm glad it exists and want it to succeed.

On the positive side, I like the character designs and music, and there's lots of potential for hype action, as shown in the trailers. It could make a really cool videogame.

Here's hoping Rooster Teeth finds someone to throw millions of dollars at Monty.

That's an interesting view. I've considered something similar before but I never linked RWBY's success to it. I could only consider it a positive if RWBY somehow convinces executives to financially invest in a wider variety of animated works than what's currently being produced and available in North America.

I feel her formal reviews are actually fair, but her twitter account statements may not be. She admits she hate watches it just so she can rip it apart online, since that's fun to do with some series. It's essentially the reason I watched Walking Dead. It could be she will do a review, but considering this is essentially a freely distributed project, where as most other anime she reviews is sold as DVD's and stuff, I don't know if she will. But if she does, it will be a more objective assessment instead of the sniping she does on twitter.

And thank you. I really do want this show to succeed and realize it's own potential, because I feel it has a ton of it. I'll try to do the same with this season, and hopefully they'll do something special with it.

I just listened to a bit of her in-depth analysis on Attack on Titan and it sounded very different in tone from her twitter. I have no idea if she's ripped that show as well on Twitter but I'm curious about her doing a RWBY review. Don't hesitate to post it here if she ends up going through with it.

My sister speaks positively of Walking Dead but I haven't actually seen any of it myself. I don't think my sister is the analytic type (I'm not much better in that regard, not that there's anything wrong with that though) so I imagine she doesn't pick up on a lot of things that you probably have.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but if I recall correctly Monty said in an Afterbuzz TV segment that he's planning for 7 to 10 seasons/volumes. Let's hope they hit that stride sooner rather than later.

I could only consider it a positive if RWBY somehow convinces executives to financially invest in a wider variety of animated works than what's currently being produced and available in North America.

Well that's the thing, the executives don't have to do anything, RWBY shows that creators like Monty can just make their own shows without them (with a hit to budget and production values, of course).

Volume 2 is shaping up much better than volume 1, and not just on a technical level. At times, the anime-isms could be a little overbearing in places, and are much more subdued.

Also, the arc seems to be working more favorably this time around.

The arc of season 1 was:

Setup (8 episodes)
Cool down (6 Episodes)
Plot progression (2 Episodes)

The cool down (2 part Weiss arc and 4 part Jaune arc) are what really hurt volume 1. Both had great moments, and helped build their characters, but were not right for pacing. Cool downs are important. They help reset the baselines so that you're not stuck with the ridiculous task of topping every escalation of tension or bad-assery. But that can be done in 1-2 episodes. 6 just makes the whole thing hit a wall.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, since we're only four episodes in. It looks like they learned that character development can be mixed into plot progression rather than needing to be separated. Here's hoping that holds true.

Well that's the thing, the executives don't have to do anything, RWBY shows that creators like Monty can just make their own shows without them (with a hit to budget and production values, of course).

Yeah, I guess my original thoughts about somehow convincing the people with money to change their minds somehow bled into the tail end of my post there.

What I meant to say is that I agree, and hope to see creators take that step.

Hackworth

The EntrePUNuer.

Whether its at his Dust shop ("From Dust Till Dawn") or his noodle stand ("A Simple Wok"), there is no business this man can't turn into a pun, and no pun he can't turn into a profit. I'm pretty sure he's going to turn out to be Yang's grandfather or something.
That would be beautiful. I can just hear Weiss trying to join in on the celebratory punning and killing the conversation dead.

I think the characters in this could make for interesting fighting game. Just checked out the first episode on crunchyroll. Lets see where this goes.

I think the characters in this could make for interesting fighting game. Just checked out the first episode on crunchyroll. Lets see where this goes.

RoosterTeeth actually recruited someone who made a fan game a while ago to make something bigger. Not sure when we'll see a release for it though.

We discussed problems the first season had on the first page if you're interested in reading, so far season 2 is an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom