• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been listening to the Volume 1 soundtrack a lot recently. What's everyone's favourite songs? I really love Gold, I May Fall, and Red Like Roses.

Kyuur

Marathoned up till S2E3 yesterday with my fiancee (couldn't get the RT website player to work to watch the 4th episode). Horrible puns and ridiculous cliches everywhere but the fight choreography is good, most of the characters are likable and season 2 seems to be moving in the right direction. I'll be following this weekly I think!

Favorite characters are probably Nora and Pyrrha.

Been listening to the Volume 1 soundtrack a lot recently. What's everyone's favourite songs? I really love Gold, I May Fall, and Red Like Roses.

My current favourites are I May Fall, Die and This Will Be The Day. I usually don't remember or look at the lyrics to songs but I started doing so with RWBY after I learned that there are story beats contained in the lyrics.

Marathoned up till S2E3 yesterday with my fiancee (couldn't get the RT website player to work to watch the 4th episode). Horrible puns and ridiculous cliches everywhere but the fight choreography is good, most of the characters are likable and season 2 seems to be moving in the right direction. I'll be following this weekly I think!

Favorite characters are probably Nora and Pyrrha.

I'll PM you a Crunchyroll 48 hour guest pass so you can check out EP 4 if the Rooster Teeth player isn't working for you. It might be a better idea to redeem the code on Wednesday/Thursday so you can also use it to watch EP 5 as well (when it airs on Thursday) assuming that your issue with RT's player still persists.

My current favourites are Yang and Sun.

All hail the RWBY Raptor!

10543541_636448323136710_3910009229056269180_o.png

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
ive put like 4 gaffers onto this show
3 of them are banned so they cant post in here
<3
Red Like Roses - Part II, From Shadows [non-trailer], Time To Say Goodbye. In that order. I'm waiting for Die to be complete before it knocks Time TO Say Goodbye out of 3rd place.
All hail the RWBY Raptor!
10543541_636448323136710_3910009229056269180_o.png
How... glorious.

Here are a few more. Not sure if there were any beyond these, but they did hide the raptor among the rubble dropping out of one of the ships Penny sliced up in episode 16:

500px-Over_the_rainbow!.png

tumblr_mns7wc4L0e1r4uhnso2_500.jpg

Just started watching season 2 since I watched 1 when it first got put up. First thing I noticed is that they actually modeled background characters instead of leaving them as pitch black figures. It would have been creepy to live in a world of shadow people, even with the existence gunswordwhip catgirls.

Almost forgot to post my impressions.

RWBY S2E4

There's some good stuff in this episode. We get some more information on Penny's background. Being the first artificial human that can generate an aura. She also mentions that Ironwood told her she's supposed to "save the world" even though it's currently at peace. This in conjunction with Ironwood bringing military forces with him to Vale means he's expecting something to happen soon, whether that's the Grimm or something like a Faunus uprising I cannot say.

Yang and Neptune's investigation led to a dead end but seeing Yang push her way around with Junior was fun. Blake's brief explanation of the Grimm masks that the White Fang recruits wear gives me the impression that the new leader of the White Fang might be Adam. It makes sense given his disregard for the crew members of the train they attacked in the Black trailer. The part I found the most interesting was Roman's speech to the White Fang recruits. My impression is that Roman (and by extension Cinder) don't actually care about the White Fang's cause and are just using them as an end to their actual plan, whatever that ends up being. Roman mentioned that they "snagged" a few of those mechs which means they'll probably show up whenever the White Fang makes their next move in a future episode. I'm wondering if Roman/Cinder are trying to set Ironwood's sights on the White Fang considering he's in the same area at the moment.

Then we come to the fight scene which I think is the best one yet. Putting aside the mech's slightly goofy running animation we got to see Neptune's weapon and Sun's semblance in action (although Sun's didn't seem to be that useful against such a large opponent moving very quickly I might add). The usage of team maneuvers underneath the highway was a nice way to show how the RWBY team has grown to work together more since we saw them last season. Then we get to Yang's semblance which we've seen her use before but it hasn't been featured as prominently before than it did this episode. I know some people are going to say that it seems over-powered but I fully expect her to get into situations where her semblance won't be as effective in the future. Maybe against Mercury since Monty has stated that she has trouble against opponents that mainly use their legs (we saw a bit of this in the Yellow trailer although she still won that fight in the end). Then there's the end bit with Neo showing up to save Roman.

You can see that they actually introduced her a bit earlier during the White Fang meeting if you look to the left of Roman during his speech. This reminds me of what they did with the Black trailer where you can see the spiderish mech walking across the ceiling when Adam opens up that one compartment after taking out the initial waves of guard bots with Blake. I'm going to guess that that illusion ability is her semblance since it would seem more appropriate than affixing that ability to a weapon.

And that comedy bit at the end? Great way to end the episode.

All in all it was a very good episode. We learned a bunch of new information and also were treated to a fantastic fight scene. Monty said that episode 5 will also have something crazy so I'm hoping it hits the same notes this episode did.

DominoKid

show would be total piff if they farmed out the writing to someone that knew what they were doing.

it's living right now on great character designs and crazy action scenes so hopefully the writing comes around.

coolasj19

Almost forgot to post my impressions.

RWBY S2E4
Monty has stated that she has trouble against opponents that mainly use their legs (we saw a bit of this in the Yellow trailer although she still won that fight in the end.
All in all it was a very good episode. We learned a bunch of new information and also were treated to a fantastic fight scene. Monty said that episode 5 will also have something crazy so I'm hoping it hits the same notes this episode did.
0ms.gif

I'd believe Monty. Though here, it seems like she less had trouble and was more just not as effective. Though, maybe it's her perpetual smile?

And seriously about Episode 5? I thought we were about to enter cooldown. As long as they don't let up and every episode has some sort of defining moment, we're in good shape. I hope it's a Cinder focused episode. We need to dig into that deep dark past after confronting our problems in the current present.

coolasj19

Just started watching season 2 since I watched 1 when it first got put up. First thing I noticed is that they actually modeled background characters instead of leaving them as pitch black figures. It would have been creepy to live in a world of shadow people, even with the existence gunswordwhip catgirls.
It's much much better. And they've taken care to change up most of the repeating models. A shirt here, a beard there, makes it really easy to stay focused.
show would be total piff if they farmed out the writing to someone that knew what they were doing.
it's living right now on great character designs and crazy action scenes so hopefully the writing comes around.
I'm sure Burnie will consult them if he sees any trouble spots. But nah, most of this show is charm.
It might be a better idea to redeem the code on Wednesday/Thursday so you can also use it to watch EP 5 as well (when it airs on Thursday) assuming that your issue with RT's player still persists.
No episodes this Thursday =O
Favorites are... Weiss. Then Weiss. Then... Weiss. Or Neo.

0ms.gif

I'd believe Monty. Though here, it seems like she less had trouble and was more just not as effective. Though, maybe it's her perpetual smile?

And seriously about Episode 5? I thought we were about to enter cooldown. As long as they don't let up and every episode has some sort of defining moment, we're in good shape. I hope it's a Cinder focused episode. We need to dig into that deep dark past after confronting our problems in the current present.

I'd just chalk that up to Melanie not being good enough to put that advantage to proper use. I think she'd have a lot more trouble with Mercury since my impression is that he's much more dangerous.

Crunchyroll has the next episode countdown for this Thursday. IIRC in season one the countdown properly accounted for the breaks. If you were looking at that Facebook feed on the right side of their homepage that post was made 9 months ago.

coolasj19

I'd just chalk that up to Melanie not being good enough to put that advantage to proper use. I think she'd have a lot more trouble with Mercury since my impression is that he's much more dangerous.
Crunchyroll has the next episode countdown for this Thursday. IIRC in season one the countdown properly accounted for the breaks. If you were looking at that Facebook feed on the right side of their homepage that post was made 9 months ago.
I get that feeling too I guess. Not to mention Mercury has those BootGuns. Melanie girl, you're behind the times !!

The only thing I'm pulling from is the RWBY Reddit. You have Crunchyroll though. I suppose Twitter could provide an answer... But I doubt anyone would respond. I guess we'll just have to wait until Thursday.

What's the spoiler policy for new episodes? I vote spoiler tags until 7PM Central when the episode goes fully public.

I get that feeling too I guess. Not to mention Mercury has those BootGuns. Melanie girl, you're behind the times !!

The only thing I'm pulling from is the RWBY Reddit. You have Crunchyroll though. I suppose Twitter could provide an answer... But I doubt anyone would respond. I guess we'll just have to wait until Thursday.

What's the spoiler policy for new episodes? I vote spoiler tags until 7PM Central when the episode goes fully public.

Spoiler tags for the latest episode is probably a good idea. I'd give it a day or two at least before removing them because people will be watching at different times.

I'm assuming its from the No RvB/RWBY post in the sidebar? That's from 9 months ago, and we got a new RvB today, as well. The sidebar is pretty unreliable, since the Cast and Crew hardly use their journals, so its pulling a lot of old posts.

coolasj19

Spoiler tags for the latest episode is probably a good idea. I'd give it a day or two at least before removing them because people will be watching at different times.
Basically, whenever it feels right. I'll spoiler tag until Saturday then.
I'm assuming its from the No RvB/RWBY post in the sidebar? That's from 9 months ago, and we got a new RvB today, as well. The sidebar is pretty unreliable, since the Cast and Crew hardly use their journals, so its pulling a lot of old posts.
Nah, from the official discussion thread it says no episode Thursday. I'm guessing Crunchyroll has a higher likelihood of being right though. Meanwhile, I'll continue listening to Die from Jeff Williams' SoundCloud.

Nah, from the official discussion thread it says no episode Thursday. I'm guessing Crunchyroll has a higher likelihood of being right though. Meanwhile, I'll continue listening to Die from Jeff Williams' SoundCloud.

Looks like you were right.

We won't be getting a new episode this week but instead we'll be getting one of many history lessons on the world of Remnant in addition to a livestream on Thursday for the team to answer questions.

Kyuur

I'll PM you a Crunchyroll 48 hour guest pass so you can check out EP 4 if the Rooster Teeth player isn't working for you. It might be a better idea to redeem the code on Wednesday/Thursday so you can also use it to watch EP 5 as well (when it airs on Thursday) assuming that your issue with RT's player still persists.

Woah, thanks dude!

We won't be getting a new episode this week but instead we'll be getting one of many history lessons on the world of Remnant in addition to a livestream on Thursday for the team to answer questions.

Blast! Guess I'll save it for next week.

I'm not intending to make a drive-by post, I'll definitely try and establish a dialogue if something worth discussing comes along, but I just have to ask:

What do people see in this show? Seriously, it is absolute dreck.

I can find no redeeming qualities in it what so ever. I have a friend who is obsessed with Rooster Teeth (who I similarly feel are just as uninteresting) so naturally when I saw her again this show came up. One click onto crunchyroll later and I found the show with little effort. I came in with low expectations but this show even exceeded what low expectations I had for it. I can't even pinpoint a single thing I like from the choreography to the dialogue, world building, characters anything. It is just complete toss.

Someone feel free to point out to me what they enjoy about the show, I would be curious to see if I am just simply wrong on this case. I don't feel like I am, but you never know, maybe I was having a bad day when I watched it.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not intending to make a drive-by post, I'll definitely try and establish a dialogue if something worth discussing comes along, but I just have to ask:

I can find no redeeming qualities in it what so ever. I have a friend who is obsessed with Rooster Teeth (who I similarly feel are just as uninteresting) so naturally when I saw her again this show came up. One click onto crunchyroll later and I found the show with little effort. I came in with low expectations but this show even exceeded what low expectations I had for it. I can't even pinpoint a single thing I like from the choreography to the dialogue, world building, characters anything. It is just complete toss.

Someone feel free to point out to me what they enjoy about the show, I would be curious to see if I am just simply wrong on this case. I don't feel like I am, but you never know, maybe I was having a bad day when I watched it.

I'm surprised you dislike the choreography, that's one thing that almost everyone praises.

But for me, I recognize it's numerous flaws. It just deals with a lot of tropes I like. Badass girls kicking ass in a badass world. Cool designs. A fairy tale inspired mythos. Cool action. Implied moral dilemmas (they haven't come to it yet, but they're building them up). I genuinely love the action, the aesthetic, some of the humor, and the music, but I can see how someone wouldn't like those things as well.

Mostly, I am on board because this is a project I want to see be good and think it has the potential for it, rather than that it is right now.

This was discussed a bunch already on page one but I'll bite.

I like RWBY partly because I've been a fan of Monty Oum's work for many years and I'm interested to see where his latest project goes. Another because while the first season was rough it's already improving by the second, and I expect those improvements to continue as the team gets used to working with new tools. The characters are distinct from each other, jokes can be hit or miss at times but there's some clever ones here and there. I know some people don't like the aesthetic but I like the use of colour in the show, not just the setting but also in the characters, names, music, etc. It's an impressive job for what, 2 modellers and a few more artists IIRC? The team isn't that big, so if you were expecting AAA graphics with a large budget I can understand why you'd be disappointed. I know some people who think that everything that isn't the best in graphics looks like garbage so you can't really convince some people to look at or consider something that isn't what they're already fixated upon.

For an independent effort it's more than what I would expect considering this isn't a 5 minute short but a series with multiple seasons and an ambitious storyline (my impression from interviews).

Finally, if you're planning on "opening a dialog" you should avoid calling what you're asking honest opinions about "absolute dreck". It kind of contradicts your first line in the sense that you're asking for an opinion but then insulting what you're asking about at the same time. That will cause more sensitive people to shut down and not open up to you. This is just what I've personally observed so maybe it will be of some use to you.

Kyuur

For me the good qualities are: the battle choreography (the best thing about this show is the battle scenes, not sure how far you got but what got me to watch this in the first place was S2E1 which I watched on a whim), the humor (which in a lot of cases is better than GAF fan-favorite Avatar:TLA in my opinion, having rewatched that recently) and music. The design and art style is definitely coming into its own as well, although it was a bit shaky earlier on especially animation wise.

And the setting? A school where people learn to fight monsters?

d60.gif

It's filling a void left by Soul Eater and the beginning of Magi's Magnostadt arc.

coolasj19

What do people see in this show?
I'll respond to you in just a bit.
You have these badass threatening names like Hunter, Intruder, Slayer....and Wiess gets Snow Pea?
It's to make up for the fact that she got the best alt uniform.
Boooooo. I've never been more unhappy to be right. Ah well, this'll probably be a net positive. I just have concerns about I breaking up the show when I start marathoning Season 2. I just hope they don't use this history lesson as an excuse to info dump us and I hope it's all properly included in the episodes. And a livestream is nice. I'll tune it.

naeS

Oh me too, I love Red Like Roses pt 2, I Burn, and I May Fall. But honestly, they're all amazing.

Boooooo. I've never been more unhappy to be right. Ah well, this'll probably be a net positive. I just have concerns about I breaking up the show when I start marathoning Season 2. I just hope they don't use this history lesson as an excuse to info dump us and I hope it's all properly included in the episodes. And a livestream is nice. I'll tune it.

I think it's just to flesh things out a bit more and give us a better picture of the world. In that article it also says that the animation for the rest of season 2 will be wrapped up this week. I guess they will be starting on season 3 after a break? I hope someone asks that on the live stream.

RetroMG

So I watched about half of season 1 when it first ran, but didn't really ever go on. But I just got around to marathoning season 1, and I'm running through the first few eps of Season 2.

Man, at first I wasn't sure how much I liked it. The lessons seemed a little preachy. (My friend calls it "Friendship is Bullets.") But man, the end of season 1 and going on to season 2 has been great. The food fight and Risk game had me laughing really hard.

So I watched about half of season 1 when it first ran, but didn't really ever go on. But I just got around to marathoning season 1, and I'm running through the first few eps of Season 2.

Man, at first I wasn't sure how much I liked it. The lessons seemed a little preachy. (My friend calls it "Friendship is Bullets.") But man, the end of season 1 and going on to season 2 has been great. The food fight and Risk game had me laughing really hard.

Wait till you get to the 4th episode.

Just watched the first 4 episodes of season 2.

The food fight is by far my favorite moment in the series so far.

I don't think there's another food fight that can top it.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just noticed that you can see Roman talking to Junior in the beginning of the Yellow trailer when Yang walks in. Didn't notice that before.

naeS

Nora was really strong in all the fights she was involved in. She's definitely the muscle of team JNPR.

And pancakes.

I always love extremely happy characters. Add in the fact she packs a punch, she's pretty great.

Yep :D. All that spunk and a giant hammer. Was laughing everytime she was on screen.

So there is no episode today right? We are getting some behind the scenes backstory stuff and a panel I think I read earlier?

Giving this a watch out of boredom. In the middle of S2E1. Figure I should start with S2 to give the animation a fair chance.

The action choreography is fun. It would be great if the whole series what just shorts of fight scenes. The characters, dialogue, and "humor" are just... painful.

Back when it first started I was skeptical because I was also expecting just a few 5-10 minute shorts of fight scenes.

But now I'm glad he's going with the much more ambitious option. Plus 7-10 seasons are going to give us way more of those fights than some shorts would. A lot of potential here.

no new episode right when i just start watching

im furious

They might show a clip from a future episode or something, I don't know. It sucks that we're not getting a new episode but the stream and "World of Remnant" back story thing should be enough to hold me till next week (hopefully).

naeS

They might show a clip from a future episode or something, I don't know. It sucks that we're not getting a new episode but the stream and "World of Remnant" back story thing should be enough to hold me till next week (hopefully).

I'm sure we will see something. I'm excited for this, after really listening to the songs and the story info they have, I really want to know more of the back story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom