• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

TheD

The Detective
Because this rumored clock speed is roughly the same as the Wii U's CPU clock speed, and the Wii U got killed because of it

No, it got killed because it's CPU looks to be a PPC 750 (a really old, basic CPU core) with added multi core support.

netBuff

Marcan is a renowned hardware hacker who doesn't really have any vested interest in which system is the most powerful.

I especially love his rants on how the Humble Bundle has "utterly disappointed" him because their latest THQ offering doesn't have any Linux compatible games.

Really a bastion of reason this guy is!

kinggroin

Banned
I get that the real reason this is posted, is some kind of masked retaliation for all the Wii U hardware hate...

...but even if this is true, it doesn't make the Wii U CPU any less weaker. It also won't stop the haters.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Now if my calculations are correct, this puts the clock speed of Durango's CPU roughly between 1.5 ghz and 1.7 ghz. And as such, if we were to ascribe a performance ballpark to the preceding figure I would postulate that the Durango is roughly capable of running Durango software better than the 360 can.

edit: My sources seem to agree.

Are we seriously making threads based on "some guy from twitter" now?

And why is that even relevant? Clock speed without other arch details such as number of cores, etc... is absolutely useless as a way to gauge power... this just sounds like WiiU damage control.

He's not simply "some guy on twitter"... This is one of the main guys that contributed to the Wii and PS3 hackings. This guy knows hardware better than most of the engineers that WORKED on said hardware and certainly has some really good sources.

Is it guaranteed information? Nah, but it's likely among the more reliable sources... he doesn't have a history of making posts pulling facts and numbers from his ass.

As you said, arch and cores are probably the more interesting/useful for telling the quality. There is no doubt that the next-box will be way more powerful than the Wii U... but this is another credible rumor to add to the pot of other credible rumors that may give us a better picture in the long run.

Mlatador

Banned
It's over, console gaming is finished.

What if it just has begun?
What if Microsoft doesn't want to launch too much over 300 dollar?
What if a "smaller" leap will be better for developers in general, since they wouldn't have to deal with another "system/price shock" like they probably had to with the beginning on this gen's games development?
What if that leads to more developer confidence and better games, since they don't have to become even more cautions that they have to be now when thinking about financing a game/game concept?

Darryl

Banned
And why is that even relevant? Clock speed without other arch details such as number of cores, etc... is absolutely useless as a way to gauge power... this just sounds like WiiU damage control.

i think the point is that the guy who leaked the "damaging" wii u cpu clock speed info is the same guy as this one. why hold these two consoles to different standards?

Kerub

Banned
3 cores with the 360 vs 16 cores with Durango.

They could be running a much slower clock speed and still be able to crush the 360s cpu performance wise.

Well that is true. 16 is a higher number than 3. But at the same time, 1.6 is a lower number than 3.2.

netBuff

This is not "Wii U damage control" or retaliation for negative Wii U threads, jesus grow the fuck up.

Read the relevant Wii U threads and you'll recognize most posters here - it's exactly that.

And let's not forget this "great" titbit of information doesn't seem threadworthy in the least.

You really can't have it both ways.

Yet that's what a lot of people seem to be wanting from this thread. I can see several people in this thread that held his information on the Wii U CPU as gospel, but are now saying that he's likely talking out of his ass.

I have no doubt that his Wii U information was spot on, but I think we can all agree that even if the Durango is clocked at 1.6ghz, it will have many more cores/threads. Low speed makes sense for this upcoming generation because lower frequency = lower voltage = less heat = smaller consoles and less likely repeats of the RRoD.

iceatcs

Oh man 16 cores at 1.6Ghz. That will be developer's nightmare if they didn't like multithreaded programming.

Mastperf

# of cores will be our new Ghz, rejoice!
It's been that way since the current gen started. John Carmak was complaining at the start of the gen how he wants one really fast cpu rather than multi-core ones but that it just isn't possible to get the performance we want without it.
Oh man 16 cores at 1.6Ghz. That will be developer's nightmare if they didn't like multithreaded programming.
It's pretty standard at this point though it will probably pose a few issues early on.

Tagg9

I understand the reasoning behind this, but Microsoft is not that concerned about power consumption/overheating. Marcan is only a homebrew developer - if he has information from someone who says they are "in the know" I would highly doubt their validity.

BlackJace

Jeez, netBuff, calm down. People are teasing is all. It's nice to joke around after the gloom and doom of the past weeks.

B.O.O.M

Yet that's what a lot of people seem to be wanting from this thread. I can see several people in this thread that held his information on the Wii U CPU as gospel, but are now saying that he's likely talking out of his ass.

I have no doubt that his Wii U information was spot on, but I think we can all agree that even if the Durango is clocked at 1.6ghz, it will have many more cores/threads. Low speed makes sense for this upcoming generation because lower frequency = lower voltage = less heat = smaller consoles and less likely repeats of the RRoD.

Well to be fair..he has a wiiu. This is information he 'heard'. Not saying I doubt him or trust him, but there's more reasons to doubt him with this information

Instro

Read the relevant Wii U threads and you'll recognize most posters here - it's exactly that.

And let's not forget this "great" titbit of information doesn't seem threadworthy in the least.

Its funny because this is exactly how the craziest Nintendo fans post when they hear something they don't like.

And of course this is thread worthy. We are in the lead up to console releases. Just like with the WiiU, every decent rumor should be given some attention good or bad.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
God GAF never disappoints

The posts with comebacks, one-liners, jabs, stawp!, experts, expert of experts, down-players, Good Lord, first page alone is amazing!

That shit should be used as a GAF guideline, holy hell, giggling though it

What if it just has begun?
What if Microsoft doesn't want to launch too much over 300 dollar?
What if a "smaller" leap will be better for developers in general, since they wouldn't have to deal with another "system/price shock" like they probably had to with the beginning on this gen's games development?
What if that leads to more developer confidence and better games, since they don't have to become even more cautions that they have to be now when thinking about financing a game/game concept?

haha this is a cute post. Just the other day we had the news of a MS studio working on a UE4 scifi FPS. They aren't taking the cheap Wii route bro, time to wake up

1.6 multiplied by 16 = 25.6

While 3.2 multiplied by 3 = 9.6

Therefore thanks to my full proof and totally not pulled out of my arse method of determining processing capabilities the durango is only 2.7 times as powerful as the 360. Clearly MS are cheaping out on the specs.

Someone email kotaku and polygon.

Top Bottom