• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

Its funny because this is exactly how the craziest Nintendo fans post when they hear something they don't like.

And of course this is thread worthy. We are in the lead up to console releases. Just like with the WiiU, every decent rumor should be given some attention good or bad.

Pretty much. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the hilairity as it doesn't seem like its going away anytime soon.

MormaPope

Banned
This is not "Wii U damage control" or retaliation for negative Wii U threads, jesus grow the fuck up.

Yeah, it's just a rushed and sloppy thread.

Is it really worthwhile to take this Marcan guy's word? Why would someone involved in Durango development give this detail leak to a console hacker?

Not to mention I7's or I-anything could possibly be in the Durango, so yeah clock speed doesn't matter I guess Marcan guy, but the number of cores used makes the CPU in Durango potentially much more powerful.

Clock speed matters if there are very few cores or whatever to work with.

Like the Wii U discussion, it depends entirely on the architecture. This isn't much of a counter-argument to the Wii U criticism, though, if that's what he's trying to do. For one thing, the Wii U's CPU is (rumoured) to be based on the PowerPC 750. I'm willing to bet Microsoft will use a post-1997 architecture.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
God GAF never disappoints

The posts with comebacks, one-liners, jabs, stawp!, experts, expert of experts, down-players, Good Lord, first page alone is amazing!

That shit should be used as a GAF guideline, holy hell, giggling though it
But thread summaries are no better.

Thoraxes

I understand the reasoning behind this, but Microsoft is not that concerned about power consumption/overheating. Marcan is only a homebrew developer - if he has information from someone who says they are "in the know" I would highly doubt their validity.

You can tell that by the 360 launch.

Is it really worthwhile to take this Marcan guy's word? Why would someone involved in Durango development give this detail leak to a console hacker?

Not to mention I7's or I-anything could possibly be in the Durango, so yeah clock speed doesn't matter I guess Marcan guy, but the number of cores used makes the CPU in Durango potentially much more powerful.

Well we've taken his word on the Wii U CPU so I don't see why there should be a double standard. I don't believe he ever gave us any concrete evidence on how he got the Wii U info

netBuff

Its funny because this is exactly how the craziest Nintendo fans post when they hear something they don't like.

And of course this is thread worthy. We are in the lead up to console releases. Just like with the WiiU, every decent rumor should be given some attention good or bad.

Yeah, I must be a crazy Nintendo hater, that's why I bought a Wii U.

And no, this isn't really interesting in any way - some random dude on Twitter writing all kinds of other stuff writing something that he apparently heard somewhere (even if true) doesn't tell us anything that's relevant to anyone.

Jeez, netBuff, calm down. People are teasing is all. It's nice to joke around after the gloom and doom of the past weeks.

This is all part of the fun. I'M HAVING FUN, ARE YOU HEARING ME *chokes BlackJace*

TheExodu5

Banned
Hopefully this gets it into people's heads that clockspeed isn't everything. Different architectures can vary wildly in terms of performance / clock.

My educated guess on the matter (don't take this for gospel):
Off the shelf CPUs tend to be heavily pipelined to support heavy processing throughput. However, heavy pipelining is actually a big hinderance when you have heavily branching code (such as artificial intelligence or input dependent code). CPUs can be designed with a much shorter pipeline to both lower latency and increase throughput of heavily branching code, provided that some of the more intensive SIMD application are ported over to the GPU (i.e. physics).

Instro

It already is. AMD has tricked plenty of people into buying their shitty desktop processors with this route.

Not that I follow PC hardware heavily, but iirc almost all their big multicore releases(Phenom, Bulldozer, etc) have turned out to be pretty bad correct?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
God GAF never disappoints

The posts with comebacks, one-liners, jabs, stawp!, experts, expert of experts, down-players, Good Lord, first page alone is amazing!

That shit should be used as a GAF guideline, holy hell, giggling though it

And now you've got the post from the guy who feels superior and labels everyone else in the thread!

Truly the complete package.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
But thread summaries are no better.

I don't think so

LionelDrake does god's work, so does shagg_187 when he isn't bust drinking bagged milk or play NHL

And now you've got the post from the guy who feels superior and labels everyone else in the thread!

Truly the complete package.

But it does work!

Also superior... lolwut?

B.O.O.M

1.6 multiplied by 16 = 25.6

While 3.2 multiplied by 3 = 9.6

Therefore thanks to my full proof and totally not pulled out of my arse method of determining processing capabilities the durango is only 2.7 times as powerful as the 360. Clearly MS are cheaping out on the specs.

Someone email kotaku and polygon.

Sounds legit. We should probably do a youtube video and add to n4g while we are at it. Knowledge belongs to everyone!

MormaPope

Banned
Well we've taken his word on the Wii U CPU so I don't see why there should be a double standard.

He hasn't tested the Durango, he hasn't even gotten a whiff of it.

Running hardware tests is in a different world completely than rumors and speculation for hardware that won't come out in a year.

I don't believe he ever gave us any concrete evidence on how he got the Wii U info

If that's true this guy has a lot to prove before anyone should take his word for anything.

Diablos54

So an 8 core, 16 thread 1.6ghz CPU? Sounds pretty good. Why are people talking about 16 cores? Isn't that like, fucking insane? Isn't even 8 cores insane? Wouldn't 4 make more sense?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If they really are going 8 cores as previously rumored, 1.6Ghz sounds like a reasonable number. I doubt either next gen system is going to go over 2GHz per core considering the efficiency of modern architectures and the fact that game engines are much more GPU dependent these days. Even a 2GHz quad core would be a huge jump from current CPUs.

Running hardware tests is in a different world completely than rumors and speculation for hardware that won't come out in a year.

Well obviously he's got some inside sources. Why would we doubt his credibility? He doesn't seem to have any vested interest to lie.

..the Wii U is out.

Well obviously this would be dev kit information.

BlackJace

And no, this isn't really interesting in any way - some random dude on Twitter writing all kinds of other stuff writing something that he apparently heard somewhere (even if true) doesn't tell us anything that's relevant to anyone.

This is all part of the fun. I'M HAVING FUN, ARE YOU HEARING ME *chokes BlackJace*

As soon as I saw the thread title, I chuckled pretty hard. Let posters have their fun, and if they go too far, their asses will get banned, which will in turn be even funnier.

ffdgh

Hmm the reactions to this info are interesting/amusing. Anyway It'll probably be best to wait for someone to take it apart......in about 10-12 months.

Atilac

In reference to a question Marcan got on the Wii U's CPU clock at 1.25ghz...

Marcan is one of the key members of failoverflow and a lead hacker in the Wii/Wii U scene. He apparently has some sources in the know, aside from confirming the exact specs of the Wii U himself through hacking means.

Lock if old, I did a quick search and came up with nothing... but the tweet is 14 hours old so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

(edit) Whoops, forgot to put the source. https://twitter.com/marcan42

(edit 2) Some clarification edits.

1.6 GHZ with 8-12 cores is still a massive leap in computing power compared to the xbox360.

This is 100% true.

For those people getting upset or calling BS it very well COULD be. That is why this is a rumor thread... Rumor threads should NEVER be taken as gospel or taken too seriously. Loosen up a little and either add some more next-gen jokes to the fire or toss in some nice theory crafting (as in why it would or wouldn't make sense, toss out some numbers or other rumors that contradict it)

MormaPope

Banned
Well obviously he's got some inside sources. Why would we doubt his credibility?

Well obviously this would be dev kit information.

I'd take anonymous information more seriously than someone saying they have "inside sources". Why would people involved in the development for a console leak something to someone who hacks and manipulates consoles? What is there to gain?

60 pages worth of people believed him about the Wii U. No one was doubting him thenn

Mastperf

I understand the reasoning behind this, but Microsoft is not that concerned about power consumption/overheating. Marcan is only a homebrew developer - if he has information from someone who says they are "in the know" I would highly doubt their validity.
MS will most certainly be concerned with heat. They spent 1 billion dollars repairing early 360's and I'm sure they'll avoid a repeat.

Instro

No, read my post again. I never said that, I said you are acting like a weird fanboy. Regardless, it is not for you to decide what is thread worthy, if you don't like the thread just remove yourself from the discussion. Almost all console rumors come from "some guy hearing something", downplaying one because you don't like it is ridiculous.

DonMigs85

Not that I follow PC hardware heavily, but iirc almost all their big multicore releases(Phenom, Bulldozer, etc) have turned out to be pretty bad correct?

Their current architecture is sort of pseudo-multicore. It's better than hyper-threading though.

TheD

The Detective
Hopefully this gets it into people's heads that clockspeed isn't everything. Different architectures can vary wildly in terms of performance / clock.

What people need to get into their heads is that a CPU that runs at nearly 1/3 the clock speed of an other has to be able to do nearly 3x the work per a clock and that it takes up a lot of space and needs a lot of CPU designing know how to pull it off.

You can not just claim that a low clocked CPU will beat a higher clocked CPU because you want it to.

TheExodu5

Banned
What people need to get into their heads is that a CPU that runs at nearly 1/3 the clock speed of an other has to be able to do nearly 3x the work per a clock and that it takes up a lot of space and needs a lot of CPU designing know how to pull it off.

You can not just claim that a low clocked CPU will beat a higher clocked CPU because you want it to.

FYI, I am a computer engineer and do have an idea what I'm talking about.

edit: will follow up with a better explanation in a following post.

Darryl

Banned
I'd take anonymous information more seriously than someone saying they have "inside sources". Why would people involved in the development for a console leak something to someone who hacks and manipulates consoles? What is there to gain?

People with similar hobbies tend to become friends with people who have similar hobbies. You don't need to read so far into it. I'm sure some average joe nobodies have overheard this same information and just doesn't care enough (or even know how) to tell.

MormaPope

Banned
60 pages worth of people believed him about the Wii U. No one was doubting him thenn

I barely looked in that thread because it was a pit of boring and played out arguments. My personal opinion of him is that he needs to prove more and list the methods used for the Wii-U CPU testing.

If he's right about the Wii-U CPU, I guess that's one credible thing. Even then his word really doesn't hold value for me personally.

That's also after devs who worked with the console pretty much confirmed what he had to say.

We're definitely not going to know for sure if he's right or wrong until either a confirmed insider says something, or the hardware is actually out and hacked so measurements can be done.

Top Bottom