• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G6 endorse Paris Climate Accord as US is not ready to commit

Ac30

Fuck the US for fucking up the world.

Who the fuck voted in this administration?

The American people?

Out of step: G7 leaders take a stroll, Trump takes a golf cart

The distance between Donald Trump and his G7 partners was spelled out dramatically today when Theresa May and the leaders of Italy, France, Germany, Japan and Canada strolled the streets of Taormina, Sicily — while he followed in a golf cart.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g7-leaders-take-a-stroll-but-trump-takes-a-golf-cart-hhprv8r7b

Fittest president ever indeed

Hale-XF11

When is the rest of the world going to finally tire of trump's and everyone else's fake ass alpha male bullshit and just do what needs to be done.

sangreal

" a lot of people who are very rich and give me lots of money back home are against this agreement"

It's more simple than that. If Fox News is your source for information, which is the case for Trump, you will easily get the impression that climate change isn't a big deal and the Paris Accord (and Kyoto before it) is terrible

Fuck the US for fucking up the world.

Who the fuck voted in this administration?
My fellow Americans

Time for the rest of the civilized world to start doing their own thing and stop waiting for america to wake the fuck up. Time to move on.

I wish they would just treat us like some third world country. Leave us in the past where we clearly want to be and let the rest of the world progress without waiting for us.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
" a lot of people who are very rich and give me lots of money back home are against this agreement"

This. Special interests that me and most of my party are beholden too are making this decision hard to spin. I'll wait until I get home safely before I announce pulling out. Drain the swamp!

stilgar

This is not only worrying for the planet, but also not very good for the US economy. There's a green revolution going forward, step by step, and deliberately missing the train by favorising coal, or just by standard demagogy is a dumb policy.

Amalthea

Banned
When is the rest of the world going to finally tire of trump's and everyone else's fake ass alpha male bullshit and just do what needs to be done.
What could the other world leaders do before he leaves Sicilia? Lead him to the ruins of the Roman theater and explaining him the Ides of March and following it up with an example?

This is not only worrying for the planet, but also not very good for the US economy. There's a green revolution going forward, step by step, and deliberately missing the train by favorising coal, or just by standard demagogy is a dumb policy.

I think the US as a whole is missing a chance here, but states around the country are catching on to the green.

Kimawolf

Effecting an actual, official exit is quite a headache with no real upside and it can't be done at all inside of four years without essentially breaking international law. There's no rational reason to do it outside of as a general "fuck you" to the world in general and US liberals in particular. If Trump wants to go the denialist road, it's much easier - and more likely - to simply skimp out on putting up ambitious goals, or insist on delaying real commitment for as long as possible. Not to mention that it gives the US a massive bargaining chip.

So that's my expectation: Trump will stay in for the duration of his term, but will fire on all cylinders about protecting the US from "bad deals", won't put up real commitments for the US and won't officially recognise climate change.

That said, it's Trump. He could still withdraw from the accord out of incompetence and spite, no matter how counterproductive that would be.

That would trigger a global financial crisis the likes of which has never been seen and throw the world into enough turmoil that major wars could break out. Nuclear wars, even. It will never happen

That's true. The world would be screwed, but climate change is a ELE, albiet a slow one. Civilization will not survive the worst effects of climate change.

Mass crop failures from desertification, destroyed coastal regions from rising sea levels, disruption of ocean currents, exasperating temperature fluctuations and massive storms, extinctions of many large land mammals. All this will happen over time, our children and us will suffer greatly, millions or billions will die, and its not exaggeration. This is a slow way to destroy our civilisation.

Sure society will go on in some primitive form. But nothing like it is today.

Aikidoka

My fellow Americans

I wish they would just treat us like some third world country. Leave us in the past where we clearly want to be and let the rest of the world progress without waiting for us.

Europe can barely stand up to Turkey, right? It's pretty much impossible to ignore the world's largest economy and military

Slaythe

Its one of those things where America will turn around on eventually.

But that might not be until major climate related disasters wreck the coastlines where the rich white people live and kill and displace lord knows how many people.

If they want to double down on big oil and gas and coal then thats probably only going to weaken them as a exporter in the short to medium term.

Renewables are coming for the rest of the world if the US like it or not. Most civilized countries are making the shift either because they are smart like some EU countries or because their climate has been so fucked up they NEED to like China. It just seems like now the US is firmly in the "we will only do it when we need to" camp.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Rubin, in Politico: "despite the highly staged events designed to pump up Trump's image, the new administration has done nothing on this trip to restore respect and admiration for US international leadership."

norm9

Rubin, in Politico: "despite the highly staged events designed to pump up Trump's image, the new administration has done nothing on this trip to restore respect and admiration for US international leadership."

Color me surprised. It was a hilarious mess led by our clown.

It's more simple than that. If Fox News is your source for information, which is the case for Trump, you will easily get the impression that climate change isn't a big deal and the Paris Accord (and Kyoto before it) is terrible
Um... No. Even the so called "moderates" and "independents" are completely ignorant towards Climate Change. Or even if they are aware of it, they just don't give a shit. They still driver their gas guzzlers, buy a bunch of stuff they don't need, eat meat in every single meal, and run the AC all day. I see this with people in Los Angeles, a liberal haven.

iammeiam

For new page as Acosta made follow up that I just added.

fJBObX2.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868479338726993920

gsIe40x.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868479793729339396

"Guys, I've just got too much pressure back home. My people won't let me stay in this thing! It's not my fault, it's these other people! pleaselikemeandgivemeapproval."

He's so gross.

He notes that the American people chose Trump and adds, ”so we are coming to terms with this choice."

The American people chose Hillary Clinton, the system chose him. Hopefully people around the world understand that she did win more votes, even though the winner isn't decided based on that.

Nordicus

The American people chose Hillary Clinton, the system chose him. Hopefully people around the world understand that she did win more votes, even though the winner isn't decided based on that.
Does exactly nothing to decrease the amount of mess other nations have to clean up in Trump's wake.

mlclmtckr

Banned

As someone outside the US who understands how the Electoral College works I still think Trump's election reflects very badly on America and forever puts the lie to its culture of exceptionalist 'indispensable nation' bullshit.

stilgar

The World understands that your president is an idiot endangering the whole planet.
Nobody cares about your archaic electoral system.

Tovarisc

Most of the world doesn't get told about your electoral system in schools etc., in their eyes people of USA chose Trump.

Micael

Considering last time this happen (merely a decade and half ago) the country decided to re elect one of the worst presidents (hello stupid war and start of financial crisis), I'm not quite sure this knowledge would really do much to help.

Jeels

Out of step: G7 leaders take a stroll, Trump takes a golf cart

The distance between Donald Trump and his G7 partners was spelled out dramatically today when Theresa May and the leaders of Italy, France, Germany, Japan and Canada strolled the streets of Taormina, Sicily — while he followed in a golf cart.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g7-leaders-take-a-stroll-but-trump-takes-a-golf-cart-hhprv8r7b

You mean G6? OP made title like that, afaik

No picture or video? Article requires registration.

Kimawolf

Changes nothing. It still reflects horribly on us that we allow such uninformed people to remain that way, and we allowed the worst possible scenario to come to pass due to some idiots going Bernie or bust and other idiots voting for Donald cause he "wasn't Hilary". That's on us. We need to fix it by reminding the idiots that this is on you, all this shit is on you and to fix it in 2018 and 2020.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

What I understand is despite that there is still a shocking amount of people that still voted Trump to make it happen.

sangreal

Um... No. Even the so called "moderates" and "independents" are completely ignorant towards Climate Change. Or even if they are aware of it, they just don't give a shit. They still driver their gas guzzlers, buy a bunch of stuff they don't need, eat meat in every single meal, and run the AC all day. I see this with people in Los Angeles, a liberal haven.

I'm not talking about people simply not giving a shit about climate change. I'm talking about actively denying it. Even on the left many people acknowledge it but dont care to change their lifestyles. That's a different issue

So like I said, if you watch Fox you will be left with the impression that it's not a big deal and that these agreements are worse. I know because I used to watch Fox all the time

Top Bottom