• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G6 endorse Paris Climate Accord as US is not ready to commit

fJBObX2.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868479338726993920
To stay in or out?

Micael

Should be noted that even if the US continues with the stupid climate change denial, market forces are quite likely to ensure that they still transition into renewable energies, and even if the economics of the situation didn't ensure that, other countries would likely make it so through a mixture of economic sanctions and investment benefits, after all there is only so long that this can go on until the economic impacts of such kinds of decisions are outweighed by the climate ones.

Which isn't to say this is good, since government backing plays an crucial role in expediting the situation, but the US is going to transition whether it likes it or not.

I kind of think Trump is going to announce that he isn't pulling out of the deal next week to be seen as a "good" guy by the masses, when in reality it will just make him the douche that was toying with the idea of not doing the right thing.

Should be noted that even if the US continues with the stupid climate change denial, market forces are quite likely to ensure that they still transition into renewable energies, and even if the economics of the situation didn't ensure that, other countries would likely make it so through a mixture of economic sanctions and investment benefits, after all there is only so long that this can go on until the economic impacts of such kinds of decisions are outweighed by the climate ones.

Which isn't to say this is good, since government backing plays an crucial role in expediting the situation, but the US is going to transition whether it likes it or not.

Renewable Energy needs massive investments in infrastructure to operate effective. Without goverment backing nothing will happen.

Too bad that half of the USA thinks that using public money for the public is communism.

I can't see any route for the US other than out of the Paris accords, and I can't see any route for the remaining 6 than threatening sanctions.

Utterly bananas.

Ithil

"A lot of people", "many people have said", "people have been saying", etc, the same old bullshit lines he defaults to when he can't defend his own position so he just makes up vague, generic "people" who are supposed to take the blame for his indefensible position.

Because they proved to be some major roadblocks in earlier accords

China was a signatory of a Kyoto Protocoll, while the USA never ratified it. Even ignoring that India and China follow an active policy against climate change for a long time now.

I'm aware of specific racist thought patterns (China = bad) on GAF but it gets boring at some point.

Tovarisc

No, fuck this bullshit. I said it in the other thread, the media need to start calling out these lies he pulls out of his ass.

Trump hasn't given single press briefing on this whole 9 day trip, hard to confront him and call him out on his shit. CNN and NBC have called him out on air tho.

----
XJNwz8i.png

https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/868480306852098049

French giving some leaks.

dX2d2tB.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868480617729712128

cvtcBr5.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868481036656705536

tuxfool

Banned
Because they proved to be some major roadblocks in earlier accords

Why "even" China and India?

To be clear, they didn't deny that it was occurring, but they felt it was unfair that the west got to fuel their economic expansion on all these dirty industries while they were being shackled by these regulations. They have come around to investing in green energy, not only because of the reduced cost of doing so, but the potential technological innovation that ensues from this.

It is also at this time we should remember that the US still is the country that produces the most CO2 per capita, even if China has overtaken it in absolute volume.

To be clear, they didn't deny that it was occurring, but they felt it was unfair that the west got to fuel their economic expansion on all these dirty industries while they were being shackled by these regulations. They have come around to investing in green energy, not only because of the reduced cost of doing so, but the potential technological innovation that ensues from this.

It is also at this time we should remember that the US still is the country that produces the most CO2 per capita, even if China has overtaken it in absolute volume.

The American Paris Climate Accord goals are a joke anyway.

Xando

China was a signatory of a Kyoto Protocoll, while the USA never ratified it. Even ignoring that India and China follow an active policy against climate change for a long time now.

I'm aware of specific racist thought patterns (China = bad) on GAF but it gets boring at some point.
You can fuck right off if you call me a racist.

China argued to cut emissions from developed nations but never actually had any emission targets for themselves within the kyoto accord. Same as India.

Also China (and other nations) threatened to boycott the accord because they wanted developed nations to pay for climate damages.

Look up your facts before calling other people racists.

Yeah, pretty much no way the US stays in. I'm surprised we haven't officially pulled out of it. Fucking depressing, like almost everything with the US right now.

Even if he does, it'll take the US four years to officially pull out of it.

A Dem winning in 2020 could easily sign it again to come in.

You can fuck right off if you call me a racist.

China argued to cut emissions from developed nations but never actually had any emission targets for themselves within the kyoto accord. Same as India.

Also China (and other nations) threatened to boycott the accord because they wanted developed nations to pay for climate damages.

China and India aren't developed nations, especially at the time of the Kyoto Protocol. But both nations running ambitious climate change policies, so what is your point? You are doing your stereotypical nonsense, although the Western World doesn't have the moral high ground here - quite the opposite.

Micael

Renewable Energy needs massive investments in infrastructure to operate effective. Without goverment backing nothing will happen.

Too bad that half of the USA thinks that using public money for the public is communism.

It needs massive investments, but not necessarily from the US government, private companies can and have invested in increasing renewable, even foreign governments can invest, the really big influence that governments bring to the table long term is to offer tax credits, which are also done to non renewable energies if I'm not mistaken.
In the end considering the time spans we are talking about here, renewable energies will become cheaper to the point that investing in traditional energy sources should only be viable through government assistance.

To clarify not saying US government assistance isn't important to help things along, just that the market and other countries will make sure it happens regardless.

Also with the US and the EU exporting so much of their manufacturing probably not a too insignificant portion of that CO2 is in some ways coming from the US and the EU, although OFC since China benefits from that too, it is hard to

Pyrokai

So what's everyone's current gut feeling on this? Are we staying in or not? Can Europe talk sense into him and save the US from Trump?

God this is so bad. European leaders are probably stumped on how such a dunce made it to this office. We need to fix our democracy asap.

Kimawolf

If America wants to act like the evil empire then the rest of the world needs to treat us that way. Fuck this, climate change will affect my kids, if we need to be sanctioned to death to save them in 20 years so be it.

Tovarisc

So what's everyone's current gut feeling on this? Are we staying in or not? Can Europe talk sense into him and save the US from Trump?

God this is so bad. European leaders are probably stumped on how such a dunce made it to this office. We need to fix our democracy asap.

I'm surprised if US stays in Paris Accord.

I think Trump listens more to his business friends and family who most likely are lobbying for leaving than to European leaders.

Xando

China and India aren't developed nations, especially at the time of the Kyoto Protocol. But both nations running ambitious climate change policies, so what is your point? You are doing your stereotypical nonsense, although the Western World doesn't have the moral high ground here - quite the opposite.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said the west has any morale high ground.
Both nations have some of the biggest output of C02 emission (Top 4 is China, US, EU and India) and to get everyone on board is a great achievement and the US is stupid for thinking about leaving.

Please don't bother replying if you're just gonna insult me by calling me racist again

Stop putting words in my mouth.
I never said the west has any morale high ground. Both nations are the biggest has the biggest output of C02 emission (Top 4 is China, US, EU and India) and to get everyone on board is a great achievement and the US is stupid for thinking about leaving.

Please don't bother replying if you're just gonna insult me by calling me racist again

Both nations are also more than 1/3 of the entire population on earth. Calling them roadblocks when they proved to be rational and ambitious partners against climate change, despite being still developing nations, is nothing more than some bullshit.

And like I care that you don't like to be called out.

commedieu

Banned
Stay tuned!, says the reality TV show host to hype up next week's episode

Yep. Totally got that vibe.

Ah well. You can't be the world leader forever. I just thought we would go more gracefully.

An invasion, a lost war, something. No, we all just smothered ourselves with a defective orange pillow.

We are going to lose out on economic power with the world going renewable energy. That brings a lot of upward mobility for populations. Along with healthcare and education.

Our dear leader is literally against all of that.

Nivash

Effecting an actual, official exit is quite a headache with no real upside and it can't be done at all inside of four years without essentially breaking international law. There's no rational reason to do it outside of as a general "fuck you" to the world in general and US liberals in particular. If Trump wants to go the denialist road, it's much easier - and more likely - to simply skimp out on putting up ambitious goals, or insist on delaying real commitment for as long as possible. Not to mention that it gives the US a massive bargaining chip.

So that's my expectation: Trump will stay in for the duration of his term, but will fire on all cylinders about protecting the US from "bad deals", won't put up real commitments for the US and won't officially recognise climate change.

That said, it's Trump. He could still withdraw from the accord out of incompetence and spite, no matter how counterproductive that would be.

If America wants to act like the evil empire then the rest of the world needs to treat us that way. Fuck this, climate change will affect my kids, if we need to be sanctioned to death to save them in 20 years so be it.

That would trigger a global financial crisis the likes of which has never been seen and throw the world into enough turmoil that major wars could break out. Nuclear wars, even. It will never happen.

roytheone

So orange turd wants us to up our spending for NATO, but then withdraws from this accord? Nah, sorry dude, we will need that money to help compensate for you trying to fuck over THE WHOLE GODDAMN EARTH.

Magni

Macron on Instagram shared this pic, calling it the "unofficial pic of the G7", which he says is about "moving forward, together, defending the same humanist values." Can you guess who's left out of the pic? Looks like somebody couldn't shove their way into it on time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUmLEgNlB-2/

Tyaren

4:05 p.m.
French President Emmanuel Macron praised President Donald Trump’s “capacity to listen” and his “intention to progress with us.” Macron hailed this as “one of the true outcomes of this G-7.”

Macron said he told Trump it is “indispensable for the reputation of the United States and the interest of the Americans themselves that the United States remain committed” to the Paris agreement.

The French leader says he believes the arguments made by the six other members enabled Trump to understand the importance of that issue and the necessity the Paris agreement for the U.S. economy.

Source: https://www.apnews.com/045563985f204737aa79e7ddd1553205

Wow, he speaks of the President of the United States like a teacher would assess the improvements a kindergartener made.

Madness

'Make America Great Again'... We all remember the good ole days of Los Angeles being the most polluted city in the world. We cannot let the Chinese and their Beijing, the Indians and their Delhi and Mumbai or even the Mexicans and their Mexico City surpass us again. Let's get the 'clean' coal fired up, start the fracking near national parks, open up the Alaskan wildlife reserves for drilling, rollback clean stream regulations, get some damn good American steel oil and gas pipeplines running across every state through National Parks, and even get rid of the 'sad' emissions standards so our rich hundreds of billion dollar car corporations can get more rich and don't have to aggressively pursue cleaner emissions technology. We'll make America so great again.

Tovarisc

Out of step: G7 leaders take a stroll, Trump takes a golf cart

The distance between Donald Trump and his G7 partners was spelled out dramatically today when Theresa May and the leaders of Italy, France, Germany, Japan and Canada strolled the streets of Taormina, Sicily — while he followed in a golf cart.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g7-leaders-take-a-stroll-but-trump-takes-a-golf-cart-hhprv8r7b

Subtle title change or did I just not catch it the first time?

You mean G6? OP made title like that, afaik

lupinko

The title isn't even witty, it's just plain wrong, the G6 still includes the US, the seventh country in the G7 is Canada (Russia is the 8th country, hence the G8 prior to being suspended for invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea).

Out of step: G7 leaders take a stroll, Trump takes a golf cart

The distance between Donald Trump and his G7 partners was spelled out dramatically today when Theresa May and the leaders of Italy, France, Germany, Japan and Canada strolled the streets of Taormina, Sicily — while he followed in a golf cart.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g7-leaders-take-a-stroll-but-trump-takes-a-golf-cart-hhprv8r7b

You mean G6? OP made title like that, afaik

"Doesn't have the STA-MINA!"

Top Bottom