• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G6 endorse Paris Climate Accord as US is not ready to commit

Xando

In an unusual admission, Group of Seven (G7) leaders said in their final communique from a summit in Italy that they had failed to bridge differences over climate change, with the United States unable to join other countries in committing to the Paris Agreement.

“The United States of America is in the process of reviewing its policies on climate change and on the Paris Agreement and thus is not in a position to join the consensus on these topics,” the communique read.

“Understanding this process, the heads of state and of government of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom and the presidents of the European Council and of the European Commission reaffirm their strong commitment to swiftly implement the Paris Agreement,” it added.

Under pressure from allies, Mr Trump backed a pledge to fight protectionism, but refused to endorse the global Paris climate change accord, saying he needed more time to decide, with European diplomats frustrated at having to revisit questions they hoped were long settled.
“The entire discussion about climate was very difficult, if not to say very dissatisfying,” German Chancellor Angela Merkel said. “There are no indications whether the United States will stay in the Paris Agreement or not.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-paris-agreement-angela-merkel-a7759231.html
More at the link

Yeah, pretty much no way the US stays in. I'm surprised we haven't officially pulled out of it. Fucking depressing, like almost everything with the US right now.

Let's just hope this whole thing doesn't fall apart without the US. It seems like a lot of governments are pretty determined about it.

Mimosa97

Time for the rest of the civilized world to start doing their own thing and stop waiting for america to wake the fuck up. Time to move on.

Tovarisc

Let's just hope this whole thing doesn't fall apart without the US. It seems like a lot of governments are pretty determined about it.

Europe as a whole sees importance of fighting climate change so I doubt Paris Accords would fall apart even if USA pulled out of it.

What USA has to gain from leaving it?

Europe as a whole sees importance of fighting climate change so I doubt Paris Accords would fall apart even if USA pulled out of it.

Climate change denial is the official stance of this administration, so I see no reason to expect them to stay in it.

Xando

A lot of americans still think climate change is a hoax and they're stupid enough to think more investment in coal will bring back the jobs they had in the 70-80s.

Even China and India are in on this. The US is literally the only major country stupid enough to believe climate change is not true.

Usobuko

Banned
Gets all the benefit of being the world leader but don't put in effort for planet earth and the future of humanity.

Classic fuck you got mine.

Jesus. This is fucking unreal. Even the US energy industry wants to keep the Paris Accords. This is such a looney fringe issue, I don't see who he's trying to please at this point.

Time for Tillerson and the CEOs of every Oil, Gas, and Auto company to make a big push to fool this asshole into doing the right thing.

Blader

It's pretty embarrassing to see the list of names there and the U.S. not have a seat at that table.

Oh well. States, cities, and the private sector will just have to pick up the slack. It's not as if Trump was going to keep the country on track to meet the goals outlined in Paris even if he did stay in anyway, and there's an argument to be made that the U.S. pulling out rather than staying in and not even trying to meet its targets is actually better for the deal.

Jesus. This is fucking unreal. Even the US energy industry wants to keep the Paris Accords. This is such a looney fringe issue, I don't see who he's trying to please at this point.

Time for Tillerson and the CEOs of every Oil, Gas, and Auto company to make a big push to fool this asshole into doing the right thing.

It seems clear he doesn't really give a shit about Tillerson. Kushner is the real Secretary of State.

entremet

Hopefully, the next generation of US leaders can help solve this problem.

These idiots in power right now are a lost cause honestly.

Is there anything Russia-related happening next week that he would want to try and counter with an "I decided to stay in the Accords" announcement?

Mivey

Is there anything Russia-related happening next week that he would want to try and counter with an "I decided to stay in the Accords" announcement?
Maybe he is just assuming there will be, seeing how the investigation seems to be intensifying. Even Trump can see that far ahead.

Why is it that he is making the decision on this unilaterally? I'm pretty sure the US is a democracy, not a dictatorship. "I will make a decision" - how about you include the rest of the government in making this decision.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm pretty sure the US won't leave the PCA, especially not after the pope himself told Trump. They will receive way too much negative press, it's just not worth it.

You already signed the damn thing... Apparently agreements mean nothing to the US anymore and we can't count on them upholding treaties. Good going, Trump & co for damaging your standing in the world even more if that is possible.

Tovarisc

504.gif

and a lot more by AP in What if US quits climate deal? Doesn’t look good for Earth: https://apnews.com/a96d26f80df141ec...ens-to-Earth-if-the-US-exits-the-climate-deal

Tovarisc

4:15 p.m.

Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni says differences of opinion with President Donald Trump “emerged quite clearly in our discussion” at the G-7 summit.

Gentiloni says: “Discussing is always useful. I think that all of the leaders present, starting with President Trump, appreciated the informality with which one in this format ... can discuss things calmly and freely.”

He notes that the American people chose Trump and adds, “so we are coming to terms with this choice.”

___

4:05 p.m.

French President Emmanuel Macron praised President Donald Trump’s “capacity to listen” and his “intention to progress with us.” Macron hailed this as “one of the true outcomes of this G-7.”

Macron said he told Trump it is “indispensable for the reputation of the United States and the interest of the Americans themselves that the United States remain committed” to the Paris agreement.

The French leader says he believes the arguments made by the six other members enabled Trump to understand the importance of that issue and the necessity the Paris agreement for the U.S. economy.

Source: https://www.apnews.com/045563985f204737aa79e7ddd1553205

Bar is in basement, isn't it? Leaders are happy that Trump showed up and listened.

Blader

Why is it that he is making the decision on this unilaterally? I'm pretty sure the US is a democracy, not a dictatorship. "I will make a decision" - how about you include the rest of the government in making this decision.

Trump campaigned on pulling out of the Paris deal and was then elected president, so...

504.gif

and a lot more by AP in What if US quits climate deal? Doesn’t look good for Earth: https://apnews.com/a96d26f80df141ec...ens-to-Earth-if-the-US-exits-the-climate-deal

But this graph and the premise of "What if U.S. quits climate deal?" is predicated on the idea that the alternative is Trump staying in the deal AND working to meet the targets outlined in the deal. He definitely would not do the latter, in which case staying in vs. pulling out is irrelevant.

cyba89

Just imagine Trump sitting there at a table with the G6 leaders defending a total goofball stance that says climate change isn't real.
Merkel and Macron probably have to talk to him like to a fifth-grader.

A lot of americans still think climate change is a hoax and they're stupid enough to think more investment in coal will bring back the jobs they had in the 70-80s.

Even China and India are in on this. The US is literally the only major country stupid enough to believe climate change is not true.

Actually the coal industry is dying in the U.S., and according to most reports the majority believe in climate change. It just so happens they elected a president who despises it, because there's no profit to be made from it.

This is infuriating beyond comprehension. It affects everyone, and this idiotic and toxic organization is going to drag the world down with them.

Why "even" China and India?

Top Bottom