• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New nivea racist ad

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I can't speak for other asian countries, but in China it is not. Dark skin = tanned = peasant working in the fields = low class. Pale = stayed inside = rich. If you see an Chinese woman with a large umbrella, large floppy hat and covered in long sleeves on a sunny day, now you know why. It's classism, not racism.

635862496774984709904007767_Asian-and-skin-whitening-590x392.jpg

https://www.vagabondjourney.com/white-skin-a-chinese-obession/
I guess in the states it's the peasants who don't get any sun because they don't have any leisure time. Rich people want to look like whatever the poor people don't.

Dipper145

It's the wording. The ad is straight up telling you your dark skin isn't up to standards.

That is true, the ad does come across as racist to me. But I'm not a part of that culture, and really the ad probably went through many different wording choices before landing on that. And I assume went through demographic testing. Do they want lighter skin because of the marketing? Or because of more long term and ingrained societal constructs (which also, sadly, would be reinforced by the ad)? And is it wrong for companies to market products in a way that highlights features of the product that the culture desires in it?

It makes me think about a lot of things in regards to marketing and society, and cultures, and I don't know enough about long term societal or cultural impact of marketing to really answer them.

This thread is kind of reminding me of an article I read about female genital mutilation (female circumcision) across Africa, where US activists went there to try and stop the practice with the assumption women would want to liberate themselves from patriarchal tradition, only to arrive and realize it was the female elders who kept the tradition in place, and that the extent of the procedure and reason for doing so varied pretty greatly from place to place. The activists had essentially come to these African villages with a very westernized sense of male/female relations only to find that their sensibilities don't necessarily line up neatly when applied to completely different cultures. Nivea is fulfilling a demand here, not creating one. I personally think people should appreciate their natural skin tone, but I suppose this isn't much different to folks in Nigeria than the desire to be tan is for white people in the US- it likely isn't viewed from a perspective of racial superiority, just like white people don't think of tanning in those terms. White people in the US think being tan is better than not being tan, but not in terms that can be applied to race or ethnicity.

Interesting point. I would love to hear from someone in the region to provide some insight into the matter. Is it an aesthetic thing or is it a "white is right" thing?

I agree, just pointing out that trying to apply a US perspective to non-US issues can sometimes lead to misunderstanding and make finding solutions harder. No African tribe is going to stop FGM because some white westerners who don't even understand the rationale behind it show up and tell them it's wrong. This is off topic, though. The point is to understand the issue from its native perspective rather than applying our foreign perspective onto it.

The woman whose tweet is featured in the OP criticizing the ad is you know a black woman from Nigeria.... So you know the native perspective...

Derwind

Cosmetic companies don't care, they'll peddle unsustainable, unrealistic, racist standards of beauty as surely as the sun travels across the sky each day.

Existing solely to identify & exploit insecurities in their target audience for maximum gains.

I guess in the states it's the peasants who don't get any sun because they don't have any leisure time. Rich people want to look like whatever the poor people don't.
You are rich, so you can go on holiday far away under the sun-> you look darker.
So if you look darker you must be rich.

ironmang

Don't see any problem with the product itself. Not everybody is happy with their skin tone or shade or whatever which is obvious by the tanning industry. The ad would probably be fine too if it wasn't for the #revealyourglow. A lot better than the other ad that said something along the lines of (correct me if I'm wrong) that white skin is better.

Kite

The American/western equivalent would probably be something like having calloused, grease/oil stained hands and cracked nails = trades = working class = low class.

Keep in mind that in China, agriculture is still still vital. They still have around 300 million farmers and the rich merchants and royalty didn't want to be seen as one of them, wanting soft white skin dates back to the Ming dynasty and long before "Whitey" came around. I remember my mother freaking out when I got tanned and freckled as a kid during the summer and when I returned from my Iraq deployment, and my dad has spent a ton of $$ trying to get rid of the liver/age spots on his skin. Apparently turmeric works wonders for skin whitening and removing skim blemishes *shrug*

HenryEen

Banned
I’ve heard that “whitening” soap is super popular in south East Asian countries. Wonder if that’s true.

I'm from Indonesia, white skin is associated with wealth, beauty, and status while dark skin is associated with poor, ugly and lower class citizen.

SoulUnison

Banned
Obviously the racism sells more than the justified outrage harms the brand.
They're not stopping so much as they "cutely" toeing the line and going through periods of trying to be coy and "subtle" about it.

Next month it'll be, like, "Nivea - step into the light/white." And they'll be so surprised when people call them out on it.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Dammit, I swear I wasn't trying to be punny when I started typing that line.

wandering

Banned
It’s entirely possible that colorism around the world is influenced by both racism and classism.

With that said, it is kind of aggravating how a lot of people so quickly jump to generalizing to “people want to look white.” Like with the double-eyelid surgery in East Asian countries, not realizing that many East Asian people naturally have double eyelids.

Isn't it more of a class thing in Africa and India, the peasants are out in the sun getting dark and wrinkled.

I think this is the case. I definitely know it is in India, some Asian countries, and I'm pretty sure Africa. It's almost like an anti-tan. Western people try to get darker skin tones by tanning so they don't look pale or like they've been inside all the time but it's the opposite over there.

Usobuko

Banned
There is considerable advantage for companies to keep promoting fair skins and indirectly propping white supremacy.

It's in there self interest afterall.

Weckum

I can't speak for other asian countries, but in China it is not. Dark skin = tanned = peasant working in the fields = low class[. Pale = stayed inside = rich/B].

Interesting, it's the exact same motivation Europe had during the last 500 years. Until last century of course, when tanning became a thing.

Violet_0

Banned
I suppose people don't travel all that much and don't know how super widespread those whitening creams are in some parts of the world. I'm all for calling out Nivea on their bullshit, but don't act like they invented this. I'm pretty sure that most large skin care product companies are in that game. Couldn't find a sunblocker without whitening effect in Asia

KonradLaw

Pretty much. In primarly-white societies, especially in Europe, the move in past century into tanning has been caused by associeation of "tan = has money to vacation in exotic locales"

I suppose people don't travel all that much and don't know how super widespread those whitening creams are in some parts of the world. I'm all for calling out Nivea on their bullshit, but don't act like they invented this. I'm pretty sure that most large skin care product companies are in that game. Couldn't find a sunblocker without whitening effect in Asia
GAF is Super USA centric.

KonradLaw

I genuinely wonder if this shit is just some "no such thing as bad press" scheme to get more eyes on their ads.

I wouldn't put it passed them.

More likely those things sell in their target markets and few people care there, so those companies don't give a damn if there's outrage from americans living half the world away. I mean, it would be silly to base local advertising campaign on sensibilities of people from completely different country. Normally we wouldn't even known about this king of marketing. It's just that Internet has made information more global

Zampano

“Fair” just means “light” doesn’t it? Like you would say “Jane had to be careful when she’d went out in the sun as her skin was very fair”. Or “the weather was fair”. Is this just a UK phrase? Or does it have connotations I’m not aware of?

Skin lightening products are crazy though.

This thread is kind of reminding me of an article I read about female genital mutilation (female circumcision) across Africa, where US activists went there to try and stop the practice with the assumption women would want to liberate themselves from patriarchal tradition, only to arrive and realize it was the female elders who kept the tradition in place, and that the extent of the procedure and reason for doing so varied pretty greatly from place to place. The activists had essentially come to these African villages with a very westernized sense of male/female relations only to find that their sensibilities don't necessarily line up neatly when applied to completely different cultures. Nivea is fulfilling a demand here, not creating one. I personally think people should appreciate their natural skin tone, but I suppose this isn't much different to folks in Nigeria than the desire to be tan is for white people in the US- it likely isn't viewed from a perspective of racial superiority, just like white people don't think of tanning in those terms. White people in the US think being tan is better than not being tan, but not in terms that can be applied to race or ethnicity.

A culture that promotes female genital mutilation isn't a culture worth respecting

GAF is Super USA centric.

More likely those things sell in their target markets and few people care there, so those companies don't give a damn if there's outrage from americans living half the world away. I mean, it would be silly to base local advertising campaign on sensibilities of people from completely different country. Normally we wouldn't even known about this king of marketing. It's just that Internet has made information more global

The tweet in the OP is from a Nigerian woman.

Violet_0

Banned
I assume the purpose of the tweet is to spread awareness in the West, since these products have been around for a while (example from India, 2009), the people in Nigeria have surely seen these creams and ads before, it's nothing new to them

there's also a bit of a flaw in her argument that "we didn't want these creams", because in that case, there wouldn't be a market for them. And before anyone complaints, I agree that these products promote racist views in the society

Derwind

People are trying to act like skin bleaching is fucking normal and that its in anyway similar to getting a tan, why would you think they'd give a fuck about context?

This isn't even the first thread people assert that chemically lightening one's skin is normal or minimizing the effect that white supremacy & colonial standards of beauty have had in shaping these cultures that try to permenantly burn their epidermis to satisfy an unsustainable/unrealistic concept of beauty. Or that being "pale" to the dark-skinned black man that I am is the status of nobility.

I don't suddenly become fucking pale if I stay inside long enough, the only way I'd achieve paleness is if I literally disfigure myself.

Also all of you talking about people with US perspectives shouldnt have an opinion can go fuck off, I'm a first generation immigrant on my papers and I'm not going to pretend that is some qualifier for me to talk on this subject.

Braag

Nivea ads have had a racist tone for a while now. I feel like at this point they're well aware of it, yet still continue down that road.

Do they have the kind of marketing and language as in these "natural fairness" ads?

I'm not quite sure how you mean that.
Do you mind elaborating or explaining?
Here are some ads I found if you want to make comparisons:
imageproxy-mvc.jpg

f9854ecb28cc2955bab735170f0ea9c3.jpg

15009661901_454d04af0d_b.jpg

Edit: oh and this one. I don't know if it's real, and if it is, it seems very satirical/tongue-in-cheek/whatever.
nmorewhite-thumb-400x553-128093.jpg

TrutaS

This is a hard one because I do believe there is demand from the black women community to use cream that lighten up their skin (I’ve certainly met black women who used it) in the same way that the white community wants to get a tan and look less white. However advertising these products is very dangerous and can create stigma - so it must be a complicated advertising issue.

sandy1297

I thought skin lightening products were actually oddly popular in locations where people have naturally darker skin. I remember hearing they're popular in parts of India, Africa, South East Asia.

Yea they are popular as hell in SE Asia but surprisingly not as much as in S. Korea where there are also whitening cream for male

Isn't it more of a class thing in Africa and India, the peasants are out in the sun getting dark and wrinkled.

It's the same in a lot of parts of asia, hence why you'll see chinese tourists with umbrellas in a lot of sunny places.
Dark skin is seen as representation of the poor lower class working people that work outside and do not take care of themselves.
Older people even go to the extreme of covering their whole face with a swimming mask to avoid getting a tan, i'm used to it now but it was slightly strange at first.
Whilst the ad can clearly be seen as racist to anyone that doesn't live in these locations, it's simply what sells in these places.

I can't speak for other asian countries, but in China it is not. Dark skin = tanned = peasant working in the fields = low class. Pale = stayed inside = rich. If you see an Chinese woman with a large umbrella, large floppy hat and covered in long sleeves on a sunny day, now you know why. It's classism, not racism.

looks like i am late with comments but pretty much this, it looks like the same thing is beginning to happen in India and Africa sadly.

Top Bottom