• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

RBH

C-OaAyQVYAA6ACa.jpg:small

Kave and BG lookin' good!

@AdamSchefter
Bills not alone. Colts releasing director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others from scouting department, per league sources.

I thought the Colts did okay in the draft?

effzee

@AdamSchefter
Bills not alone. Colts releasing director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others from scouting department, per league sources.

I thought the Colts did okay in the draft?

Apparently letting scouts go is common after the draft. I was shocked but the Eagles did the same last year. Apparently, scouts are on a year to year contract and new regimes/GM's sometimes keep the old or current scouts until the draft and then release them. Thinking is that they have done all the leg work so why introduce new scouts when you can use what they have done.

effzee

Denver in 2015 and the 2000 Ravens did it with LEGENDARY defenses. So did the Bucs when they won!

It's possible, but you really need to be a superior defense to actually win with the shitty QB.

I assume this is in response to what I said.

I don't think the Denver D was historically good or considered legendary. And you forget the Bucs did the same. With hat in mind, the Chiefs offense isn't as bad as those teams you referenced. Smith is better than Dilfer, Boller, Johnson, and yes better than Manning in his last season.

I see the Chiefs more like the Seahawks when they won. Or the Flacco Ravens.

Dominant D and the weakness was an inconsistent offense. Short of signing or trading for a top 5 starting QB, the best they can to improve a 12 win team is infuse more and more impact talent at RB, WR, CB, or DE. Not trading away valuable picks to get a QB who may or may not be the next franchise QB in 3-5 years.

And Reid the QB guru has netted only 1 real superstar in McNabb. His replacement Kolb was a joke. Foles was coached up and only did well under Chip. Alex Smith was "fixed" by Harbaugh and Reid traded for the finished product.

The only impressive work Reid has done with a QB not named McNabb is Vick that one year where Vick went on a great run.

ColdPizza

Banned
Or Mike Evans in the trade up, but Watkins was regarded by most as the best WR in the class, and I don't recall him having injury concerns coming out of college. It's just Buffalo ruining good offensive talent as always.

How did Buffalo give him a chronic foot injury?

ColdPizza

Banned
Apparently letting scouts go is common after the draft. I was shocked but the Eagles did the same last year. Apparently, scouts are on a year to year contract and new regimes/GM's sometimes keep the old or current scouts until the draft and then release them. Thinking is that they have done all the leg work so why introduce new scouts when you can use what they have done.

Or because you don't want the outgoing scouts to leak the draft board. You can still relieve them of duties even if they're on contract. The contract just means you have to pay them out still.

Scouts all knew they were getting let go after the draft. That leaked a few days ago.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I assume this is in response to what I said.

I don't think the Denver D was historically good or considered legendary. And you forget the Bucs did the same. With hat in mind, the Chiefs offense isn't as bad as those teams you referenced. Smith is better than Dilfer, Boller, Johnson, and yes better than Manning in his last season.

I see the Chiefs more like the Seahawks when they won. Or the Flacco Ravens.

Dominant D and the weakness was an inconsistent offense. Short of signing or trading for a top 5 starting QB, the best they can to improve a 12 win team is infuse more and more impact talent at RB, WR, CB, or DE. Not trading away valuable picks to get a QB who may or may not be the next franchise QB in 3-5 years.

And Reid the QB guru has netted only 1 real superstar in McNabb. His replacement Kolb was a joke. Foles was coached up and only did well under Chip. Alex Smith was "fixed" by Harbaugh and Reid traded for the finished product.

The only impressive work Reid has done with a QB not named McNabb is Vick that one year where Vick went on a great run.

Smith is better than those QBs. All of them during those runs in fact. Chiefs defense was nowhere near as good as any of those.

That's what the Denver Broncos face heading into Super Bowl 50 against the Carolina Panthers. Wade Phillips' defense has put up historic numbers. It was No. 1 in total defense (283.1 yards), No. 1 in pass defense (199.6), No. 1 in sacks (52), No. 3 against the run (83.6), No. 4 in scoring (18.5) and No. 3 in defensive touchdowns (5). Those numbers alone would put the Broncos in the top 10 of all-time defenses, but it can be argued they could be as high as No. 8 when you consider Denver's offense committed 31 turnovers and the turnover ratio was minus-4.

The Bucs and the Ravens are also in that top ten with other teams such as the 85 Bears, who had a much better situation on offense.

The Bucs and the 2015 Broncos are the two best defenses against the pass since they started keeping track. The Broncos are #2 but are in some ways more impressive than the Bucs because of rule changes, back in the Bucs day corners and safeties could basically mug receivers.

That Ravens team was HISTORICALLY great on Defense and down the stretch HISTORICALLY bad on offense. They went multiple games in a row without offensive touchdowns.

Pepiope

This is dumb bullshit and one of the main reasons I hate Reid and why he never won a SB with Philly. His teams never "load up" if they have a roster ready to contend. Always building for a future 3-5 years down the road.

Denver just showed you can win with a great D and a corpse of a QB. Seattle before them. KC has a good to great D. Maybe add to It? Maybe take Cook since you lost Charles and Cook might be McCoy 2.0

Or if you want to move up take Corey Davis! Load the offense up so much that Alex Smith has to stumble up.

Taking a complete project, giving up so much, all while you have a 10+ wins roster is ridiculous. And if this guy pans out and becomes a decent to really good starter, people will be sucking Reid's dick left and right but by that time the rest of the roster will be dead.

Just like with Philly the great defensive pieces he was gifted will be gone and then good luck with Reid at the helm trying to build a team. Reeks of taking Kolb high while neglecting the present day roster.
Manning and Wilson are not bad QBs. Manning didn't have the arm talent, but he was able to protect the ball and make smart plays. Smith isn't in their league.

MechDX

Really like some of these UDFAs the Texans have signed. That Dylan Cole LB from Missouri St. And that LB from Washington Joe Mathis can be studs

Bitanator

Manning and Wilson are not bad QBs. Manning didn't have the arm talent, but he was able to protect the ball and make smart plays. Smith isn't in their league.

Not during the Super Bowl run, Manning was dog shit that year, Defense were saving his ass game after game

Really like some of these UDFAs the Texans have signed. That Dylan Cole LB from Missouri St. And that LB from Washington Joe Mathis can be studs
Both turned Dallas away as well so you should feel extra happy

Holy fuck I'm hungover from the draft. Aside from the QB pick, satisfied with Lynch's first draft.

President Donald Trump is a huge fan of former Iowa quarterback and San Francisco 49ers draftee C.J. Beathard.

Back in January during Trump’s primary campaign rally in Iowa, the Hawkeyes football team was there. He then referred to Beathard as the next Tom Brady.

“We’ve got the next Tom Brady right over here, the quarterback, he’s going to be the next Tom Brady,” Trump said via The Gazette.

“The next Tom Brady, come on. And I know Tom, and he’s a great guy, I want to tell you.”
542486152034b.image.jpg

Tom Penny

Browns playing chess the rest of the league playing checkers..
So the Browns now have nine players — Corey Coleman, Shon Coleman, DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Derrick Kindred, Spencer Drango, Ricardo Louis, Jordan Payton, Jabrill Peppers — as well as the Texans’ first-round pick next year and the Eagles’ second-round pick next year, all for trading the opportunity to choose Wentz.

effzee

No shit Manning isn't bad. But his last year and Wilson early on, they weren't carrying their teams.

The D was. You can with Alex but need to load up. Can't sit back planning for the future and then when they come up short again lament that they can't get it done

bionic77

Only played one race in Grand Prix but there was something really visually appealing about Mario Kart.

Felt like an HD Dreamcast game.

Super easy to get back into. Have not played a MK in a long ass time.

Beach

Didn't research the draft as much as have had previous years due to life being busy at the moment but major thanks to Mech, Chris and Hindl and others for the knowledgeable posts as well as others who put out work in for the draft here.

Think the Raiders did well. Love the Obi pick the most. Scary that Jenkins and Lee might start at linebackers though.

Top Bottom