• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle getting backlash for jokes about Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTE:
If you want to discuss this issue, please feel free to do so, but we're going to be cracking down on shit posting, which includes garbage like "lol PC" "the world is too PC!", etc.

That kind of posting does nothing to encourage discussion. If you don't think this is worth discussing, as always, don't post in the thread. You're welcome to your opinions, you aren't welcome to shout down discussion by filling threads with low content garbage.

Have a viewpoint, have something to say, be prepared to defend it. I'll be back later to deal with posters who can't figure out a very clear warning.

As always, if you have concerns or opinions regarding moderation, feel free to contact a moderator via PM.

Some media coverage:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/27/dave-chappelle-caitlyn-jenner-jokes-kylie-tyga/
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...=facebook&utm_medium=social&sr_share=facebook

King Kylie and Tyga were watching from the VIP section when Dave launched into a 7-minute bit about Caitlyn Jenner, noting that he was old enough to recall Caitlyn as a "Superman" who was great at "beating Africans" on the track in the 70s. According to Dave, he was tipped off regarding Caitlyn's transition after bumping into longtime friend Kanye West. "I said, 'Kanye, why the long face?' And Kanye replied, 'Man, you’ll see,'" Chappelle reportedly said, again according to TMZ.

A personal take as someone who saw these bits live in San Francisco this year:

They're not good jokes. Dave was doing these bits in SF when he played the Masonic here and I knew they were going to get him in trouble soon.

Edit to inlcude link: Basically, he tells a story where a trans person corrects his pronoun use, to which he exasperatedly replies "to what degree should I have to participate in your self-image?"

Before getting into the seating area for the show, he had a startup called Yondr taking people's phones, asking that they be turned all the way off, and putting them in thick, electronically-pinned-shut sleeves that the phone owner cannot open. Then on the way out you had to find a Yondr employee to release your phone from phone jail for you. So unless you were able to sneak a phone past this and sneakily tape the bit, it was never going to get out, which is probably why it has taken this long.

Edit: because the "Kylie Jenner reaction" angle seems to be distracting people, I'm replacing that with a couple other mentions of this material:

Okay here, from a blog you don't read's October 2014 post:

Wherein Dave Chappelle Is An Imperfect Human Being
http://sexistentialquestions.tumblr...in-dave-chappelle-is-an-imperfect-human-being

But the truth is that Chappelle’s set was riddled with transphobia, homophobia, and a bit about the Ray Rice incident that changed the energy in the room in a tangible way. He talked about seeing a drunk “transvestite” at a party, mocked her, and complained about having his pronouns corrected when he referred to her as “he”. He maintained that he should be able to use whatever pronouns he wanted. He called her a man in a dress. This bit was not really a joke, just a strange, awkward story, but people laughed. It was pure, absolute, unabashed transphobia, and it broke my fucking heart.

DAVE CHAPPELLE VS THE NEW INTOLERANCE, from a site you don't read in July 2015.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dave-chappelle-vs-the-new-intolerance/17195
His new set is peppered with jokes about him coming face-to-face with the new intolerance. There’s the lesbian couple whose kid is at the same ‘liberal-rich’ private school as his son – one of them laughing along at his jokes about whether or not they qualify for the father-son picnic, the other ‘too committed to her lesbianism’ to entertain them. And then there’s that trans joke, in which Dave, finding himself at a poncey gallery party, is stared down when he dares to ask ‘Is he okay?’ after a cross-dresser collapses in the corner. ‘I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?’

But because Kylie Jenner was in the audience that night, there's more substantial coverage this time. It's trending on FB, etc.

So yeah, I still love Dave, but was very disappointed in his out-of-step views about trans people. He has some growing to do, I don't know if he's been living on that farm in Ohio too long or what.

Lock me in a Yondr pouch if old.

Edit:
Here's a video with a pretty close approximation of the bit I heard. It's from 2014 and he didn't put as fine a point on the ultimate question he's asking, and it's missing the Caitlyn stuff because that is more recent, but you can sorta get the idea.
https://youtu.be/zKd0MSXZFb0?t=43

kewlmyc

That's depressing to hear. I really like Dave Chappelle. I like his standup, but that sounds more hateful than it does witty or snarky.

I didn't get much of an idea that he was talking about trans people so much as one particular trans person, who seems to be kind of a piece of shit in a lot of ways.

fader

well it was 7 a minute bit. cherry picking specific points doesn't really paint an entire picture of the whole routine.

Not trying to defend the Jenners/Kardashians, who I know next to nothing about, but this isn't surprising to me. Dave is just not funny anymore. I saw him live in 2015 and the show sucked.

We're told that line brought the house down, and even Tyga laughed -- but Kylie kept a straight face through the entire bit. Hard to say if she was actually pissed, but she definitely wasn't LOL.

She wasn't LOL

Guys, SHE WASN'T LOL

WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE GOING TO DO!?!?!?!?

Haxan

Banned
well it was 7 a minute bit. cherry picking specific points doesn't really paint an entire picture of the whole routine.

The whole routine was pretty awkward and cringey. I can't really cite specifics because I saw this months ago, but the whole thing was pretty bad.

any and everything is up for a comedic approach - no big deal in my eyes

you didn't perchance go to Emory OP, did you?
Nah, the SF show at Masonic. Jan 16th of this year.

That's what's kinda tough about reporting on it -- by design, you can't tape the bits there. Everything is going to be by recollection and word of mouth only.

There's no joke in the article, so I'm going to assume the quotes are at least out of context of the joke. I'll reserve judgment until seeing the routine.

Also I seriously doubt Kylie and Tyga's facial reactions in their car while probably escaping a swarm of paparazzi are hold overs from their reaction to his material.

Platy

Nothing is off limits in comedy. Why the backlash?

Nothing is off limits, but nothing shields you from consequences of your actions.

The backlash is because "How long are we supposed to indulge in your fantasy?" imply trans people are just having a "fantasy

The Kree

Banned
Political correctness is great for the world and bad for comedy.

-Artie Lange

Not sure what the joke here is though. That Kanye was sad?

Kuroyume

Banned
This is a picture of a mortified Kylie Jenner and still-grinning Tyga leaving the show:

0327-kylie-tyga-leaving-dave-chappelle-show-palladium-la-splash-7.jpg

She looks mortified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom