• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle getting backlash for jokes about Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
I dunno, I just heard she wasn't LOL.

Do we have confirmation if Tyga was ROFL? or that was he
bc3.gif
?

Instro

The "fantasy" line from the OP just sounds like a weird anti trans statement. Whats the punchline? Seems a bit different from normal offensive humor, i.e. making trans penis jokes, doing a drag queen voice, or whatever.

Boke1879

So anytime someone makes a racist joke about black people, I should be okay with it because it's "just a joke"?

Every comedian has done this about blacks, whites, asians, indians, mexicans and everyone under the sun. Sure you can not like them, but the jokes can and have been funny. Unless you do what Michael Richards did.

That said comedians have never really been shy about being offensive.

My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?

I'm not pointing this at anything in particular, and definitely not transgenderism because I vehemently agree that gender is a societal construct and self-identity in this regard is true identity, but I think this is a pretty good question to be honest.

Infinite

Right. Jokes exist. You can find them funny or not. Internet outrage everytime someone's joke makes them uncomfortable is a bit much. Don't like the joke, fine. Do we need to start an inquisition when that happens?
That really isn't happening here there at least not yet . And people can be critical of jokes too in addition to not laughing

They could get away with it then. If they did that joke now they would get shit on.

They got shit on it then too. It was never a very good episode. I'd love to hear their motivation for it - I mean, I would love to hear that the point was to make fun of people who think that being transgender is akin to being transspecies or transracial (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed the point since I don't think that Matt and Trey are particularly uneducated on such matters) - but at first glance, it's just perpetuating those very common, very strongly held beliefs.

I don't really see the harm, it's a comedy show, not a political forum.

While not knowing exactly what the joke was, but looking in a very general stance. Dave's done sketches making fun of gays, whites, blacks, etc, and hasn't made it part of some agenda to go after specific group.

It's fine to boo if the jokes sucked, but no reason to think any group is off limits. I thought the agenda was equality after all?

Brinbe

He was doing that bit in Toronto last month when I went to see him. It's fucking Dave Chappelle, of course a lot of it is in the delivery. It was a fine joke and he wasn't totally denigrating Caitlyn Jenner. People just like to be outraged.

aeolist

Banned
No. Didn't say that. But should you join into an Internet mob justice group with your torch and pitchfork everytime it happens?

what does it mean to grab your torch and pitchfork? who is doing that here? how is it different from someone simply deciding that they respect a person less for having bigoted social views?

That's where these threads always land though. These threads breed outrage.

I'll see myself out though. Carry on.
Who is outraged?

I don't need a comedy school lesson. Based on the quotes, Dave believes transgender individuals are living a fantasy. That isn't a joke.

I'm not outraged, just sucks as a fan of his.

I don't really see the harm, it's a comedy show, not a political forum.

While not knowing exactly what the joke was, but looking in a very general stance. Dave's done sketches making fun of gays, whites, blacks, etc, and hasn't made it part of some agenda to go after specific group.

It's fine to boo if the jokes sucked, but no reason to think any group is off limits. I thought the agenda was equality after all?

Firstly, the line quoted in the OP is not a joke, it's something you'd expect to hear at a GOP debate or FOX News.

Secondly, I've never known uncelestial to take things out of context in order to "push an agenda" or whatever you'd call it.

Thirdly, "what about equality" is a poor thing to say because indeed, what about equality? In society, whenever something like this comes up, it's always proposed that trans people, if they want to be equal, they need to be able to be the butt of the joke, when in fact it becomes seriously problematic for them to be the butt of the joke when they're kind of the butt of society. It'd be akin to making black jokes during Jim Crow.

No. Didn't say that. But should you join into an Internet mob justice group with your torch and pitchfork everytime it happens?

Haha, seriously? People are criticizing and talking shit about Chappelle, and that translates to torches and pitchforks to you? Is Chappelle truly too sensitive to cope with this?

Then what did you mean? Because all you're doing is being upset at a group of people aren't interested in entertaining hate.
There are plenty of comedians using race in their shows. That does not make it automatically racist.

I'll need to hear the Chappelle joke before I can make any judgment on it.

Didn't say that.

HotHamBoy

As a big fan of Chappelle and Chappelle Show, I'll be the first to admit that Chappelle Show is not going to age well at all. My problem with material like this is that it's easy, lazy and already dated.

Hey guys, remember Eddie Murphy Raw?

Instro

Saying trans people are living a fantasy is like saying gay people are unnatural. It's not a joke.

Yeah that's a good comparison. If what the OP is saying is true, it doesn't come off as a joke at all. That's more like someone on their soapbox.

studyguy

As a big fan of Chappelle and Chappelle Show, I'll be the first to admit that Chappelle Show is not going to age well at all. My problem with material like this is that it's easy, lazy and already dated.

Hey guys, remember Eddie Murphy Raw?

It's still hilarious. So are a ton of Pryor's old bits. Do they have shit that doesn't reflect well now though, absolutely. Doesn't take away from it for me though.

People say edgy jokes are okay if the jokes are funny.

People in this thread are saying these jokes aren't funny, so they're not okay.

But the people who watched the performance found the jokes funny, and therefore would probably say they're fine.

So these jokes are both okay and not okay.

but he's a comedian saying offensive things on a stage, surely it's part of the routine and you just don't get it
It's Richards going crazy at an audience member and spouting racist shit. That is not the same as Chappelle is doing.

I haven't seen the Chappelle bit, but from the responses in this thread the reactions to it range from offensive to it just being a joke. It doesn't sound nowhere near as bad as Richards is doing in that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom