• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle getting backlash for jokes about Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The bit was apparently a big hit during Dave's set at the Palladium, though Kylie reportedly offered nothing in the way of laughs."
Maybe the description of Kanye's reaction landed, but the line about "fantasy" most assuredly did not, at least not in San Francisco. I have been on the "stop being so PC" end of a few intersectionalist-vs-comedian debates but that line just felt straight up ignorant, if not hateful.

what's the name of your celebrity gossip blog?
If you read either of the articles, you'll read about her walking out of there stone-faced. Just posting what's out there breh. Stay mad tho. I agree the Kardashians/Jenners are overexposed but apparently that's what it takes to shine a light on transphobic jokes.

What else do you find off limits for comedy, genuinely curious.

When did I say it's "off-limits"? He didn't tell a joke, he just said hate speech. I mean, is this the new out? If the Westboro Baptist Church changed its name to the Westboro Baptist Comedy Club, does that make what they do and say more okay?

Amended my post.

Ah, cool

Offensive comedy still exists, that's OK. You don't go to stand-up expecting a safe space.

What specifically was the comedy? People keep saying this, but the only thing quoted was Dave saying that she was living a fantasy.

Abounder

Banned
Chappelle is a clown that victim blames rape victims and compares it to wearing a police costume. He's politically incorrect as all hell. And the crowd loves it

You shouldn't make fun of people for being transgender. Make fun of her for something else since she is a pretty shitty person in general.

Poor form Dave.

studyguy

That sucks, at the same time hitting up Laugh Factory or smaller venues for comedians on slow weeks exposes you to massive cringefests. Like you walk out embarrassed after some of that shit. Figure that's how it goes when comedians spitball shit for the first few times. I'm not sweating it, not everything you get at those shows is worth a comedy special.

benzy

Op clearly didn't like the joke, made the thread, and said so in OP.

You mentioned "people" as if it refers to more than just the OP and Kylie Jenner. I'm not even sure if there's a huge backlash going on as the OP titled implies, all the article links just talk about Kylie not being amused...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's extremely mild compared to some of Frankie Boyles's jokes. Either way I'll reserve judgement until I see it, has there been any mention of a home release of his new show?

notworksafe

Don't think I can make a judgement here. We have an out of context line from OP who doesn't even remember the show and a two phrases from a news articles. Also a picture of someone who "wasn't LOL".

Definitely not seeing any backlash.

Idk why people expected Dave (or to be honest other black comedians of his generation) to be "on board" with trans issues. Probably won't make the joke again if it honestly did poorly but I'm not surprised he made it. Its whatever.

Arc

You shouldn't make fun of people for being transgender. Make fun of her for something else since she is a pretty shitty person in general.

Poor form Dave.

Why not? Comedians make fun of special needs, racial differences, and all sorts of fucked up things. What makes this topic different?

daviyoung

Banned
If you read either of the articles, you'll read about her walking out of there stone-faced. Just posting what's out there breh. Stay mad tho. I agree the Kardashians/Jenners are overexposed but apparently that's what it takes to shine a light on transphobic jokes.

got a link to your kardashian fan fic site?

entremet

Gonna need primary sources.

Comedy isn't something that novices could convey easily via text, without tonality, body language or context.

But the allegations as is make the joke sound shitty. That's fine. Comedians do dumb material and edit constantly.

collige

Banned
Why not? Comedians make fun of special needs, racial differences, and all sorts of fucked up things. What makes this topic different?

They generally don't try to make those groups the butt of the joke in an ignorant or mean-spirited way.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I probably would have laughed at it. It's gonna be hard to convince me that transgender people aren't open to being made fun of by comedians when just about everything else is.

I still see no backlash anywhere but this thread and conjecture about Kylie Jenner, lol

Okay here, from a blog you don't read's October 2014 post:

Wherein Dave Chappelle Is An Imperfect Human Being
http://sexistentialquestions.tumblr...in-dave-chappelle-is-an-imperfect-human-being

But the truth is that Chappelle’s set was riddled with transphobia, homophobia, and a bit about the Ray Rice incident that changed the energy in the room in a tangible way. He talked about seeing a drunk “transvestite” at a party, mocked her, and complained about having his pronouns corrected when he referred to her as “he”. He maintained that he should be able to use whatever pronouns he wanted. He called her a man in a dress. This bit was not really a joke, just a strange, awkward story, but people laughed. It was pure, absolute, unabashed transphobia, and it broke my fucking heart.

DAVE CHAPPELLE VS THE NEW INTOLERANCE, from a site you don't read in July 2015.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dave-chappelle-vs-the-new-intolerance/17195
His new set is peppered with jokes about him coming face-to-face with the new intolerance. There’s the lesbian couple whose kid is at the same ‘liberal-rich’ private school as his son – one of them laughing along at his jokes about whether or not they qualify for the father-son picnic, the other ‘too committed to her lesbianism’ to entertain them. And then there’s that trans joke, in which Dave, finding himself at a poncey gallery party, is stared down when he dares to ask ‘Is he okay?’ after a cross-dresser collapses in the corner. ‘I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?’

But because Kylie Jenner was in the audience that night, there's more substantial coverage this time. It's trending on FB, etc.

Gonna need primary sources.
I was literally there.

What specifically was the comedy? People keep saying this, but the only thing quoted was Dave saying that she was living a fantasy.

Well to me she's living in a fantasy that non-entitled trans people wouldn't suffer under a Ted Cruz presidency presiding over a Republican House and Senate.

Though honestly, she probably just doesn't give a fuck, because she's entitled as hell.

Lothar

Banned
Well south park didn't really use her as a chance to make fun of transgender people by calling it a fantasy.

South Park made fun of her killing someone for the most part

Well South Park did have the episode where Mr Garrison had surgery to become a woman at the same time as Kyle's dad had surgery to become a dolphin.

ApharmdX

Banned
Eh, where each person draws their line for comedy is up to them. I don't like these jokes because I think they punch down but some may find them acceptable.

Chappelle is a clown that victim blames rape victims and compares it to wearing a police costume. He's politically incorrect as all hell. And the crowd loves it

He is a comedian. It's his job to be a clown. That's not an insult when you're referring to a comedian.

It's very often about the disparity of effect. Comparatively, none of these categories are of people who are in as nearly a bad situation as trans people are. I mean after all, we're still working on criminalizing workplace discrimination of trans people and safe access to the appropriate bathrooms. Thus, people are logically going to be more sensitive to a joke/statement disparaging trans people, especially when it is so blunt as to actually make a joke (if it was indeed a joke) that sounds pretty much like what people say to insult trans people every day.

He is a comedian. It's his job to be a clown. That's not an insult when you're referring to a comedian.

Clowns do slapstick, not stand-up. Though judging from his last routine, perhaps a career pivot is in order.

Right. Jokes exist. You can find them funny or not. Internet outrage everytime someone's joke makes them uncomfortable is a bit much. Don't like the joke, fine. Do we need to start an inquisition when that happens?

So anytime someone makes a racist joke about black people, I should be okay with it because it's "just a joke"?

entremet

Okay here, from a blog you don't read's October 2014 post:

Wherein Dave Chappelle Is An Imperfect Human Being
http://sexistentialquestions.tumblr...in-dave-chappelle-is-an-imperfect-human-being

DAVE CHAPPELLE VS THE NEW INTOLERANCE, from a site you don't read in July 2015.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dave-chappelle-vs-the-new-intolerance/17195

But because Kylie Jenner was in the audience that night, there's coverage this time.

I was literally there.
I don't think you're lying. I just want to see the set.

It may be a terrible joke, but comedy is art form that you test out and some comedians like pushing boundaries as close as possible. You really can't practice jokes without a live audience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Right. Jokes exist. You can find them funny or not. Internet outrage everytime someone's joke makes them uncomfortable is a bit much. Don't like the joke, fine. Do we need to start an inquisition when that happens?

What inquisition? So far what we're seeing is people reviewing the show, and then a paparazzi site whose current headline asks you to Google A-Rod's new girlfriend and second story is about some former reality contestant walking around a beach covering the show along with coverage of what Diddy posted on Instagram this weekend and how one of Bob Marley's sons wants to talk to UFC fighters about selling weed.

Like, I was at a comedy show last year that had 8 or 9 comedians on the ticket. It was headlined by Brooks Whelan. 3 of the comedians did the same lazy joke about Jenner ("I don't like Caitlyn Jenner. Not because she's trans, but because I hate the Kardashians.")--I guess they weren't listening to the earlier comedians so they didn't even realize that it wasn't funny. Brooks Whelan seemed pretty cracked out, nervous, fidgety, and slurring his lines. Is this, like, outrage, or me just saying I wouldn't recommend paying the drink minimum to see Brooks Whelan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom