• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Ivan Fandino killed in France bullfight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostinatto

link.

A Spanish bullfighter has died after being gored during a festival in southwest France.

Ivan Fandino, 36, caught his feet in his cloak and fell to the floor, where he was gored by the bull.
He suffered a lung injury and died on his way to hospital from a heart attack on Saturday, French media say.
Fandino, who was taking part in the Aire-sur-l'Adour bullfighting festival near Pau, is reportedly the first matador to die in France in a century.

More than 1,000 bulls are killed annually in French bullfights.

Justice or tragedy GAF?

I hate bullfighting (still a lot of it in my country) and, unlike the bull, he chose to be in that arena. Still, I can't celebrate the death of a person, so I'll go with tragedy, but fuck bullfighters anyway.

Its a risk that comes with the job. And it's a disgusting and awful job. Can't really feel sorry or call it a tragedy, the bull acts in self defense and the Matador knows the risks of his job.

Bullfighting needs to be banned.

I can't feel any sympathy for something like this. If he weren't taking part in a prehistoric and barbaric ritual he'd still be here so it's on himself.

Dehnus

I didn't even know France still had bullfighting.

Fuck him and this entire horrible thing.

Southern France, Spanish Border, but more in land than Mediterranean... so yeah... basically same kind of "TRADITION HURDUUUUR!" shit fest and the politicians that take advantage of it to get reelected.

It's sad.

Sad because when the bull wins, they not only kill it but also its mother cow in order to "end its lineage".

On the other hand, we should all realize that this bull lived a much, much more pleasant life than the beef we're all eating on a regular basis.

Fliesen

At the end of the day, it's still an arena - 2 enter, at most one leaves.
And even if the odds are incredibly one-sided, i think every matador knows the risk of being wounded or killed.
I think the fact that, every so often, a matador tragically dies in the arena is what keeps the sport 'exciting' for those who choose to watch it.

Condolences to the family.

I'd love it if this sport / 'tradition' could finally be abolished.

I hope you guys are vegetarian.

otherwise you're the biggest hypocrites on earth.

Well, there is a difference between (quickly) killing for nourishment and slowly and painfully killing for entertainment. And i say that as someone who eats meat maybe 5 times a month :/

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad.

Sad because when the bull wins, they not only kill it but also its mother cow in order to "end its lineage".

On the other hand, we should all realize that this bull lived a much, much more pleasant life than the beef we're all eating on a regular basis.
What the fuck. If bull wins he should get a key to the city and put out to stud for the rest of his days. Game is rigged!

daxy

I hope you guys are vegetarian.

otherwise you're the biggest hypocrites on earth.

Unless you're a vegetarian you don't really get any moral high ground condemning bullfighting

You don't need to be a saint to dislike an archaic practice that harms animals purely for entertainment. Would you also say that there's nothing wrong with paying to see dogfights, cockfights, and other types of animal abuse as long as you're not a vegetarian? Where's the moral high ground here, lads?

sphinx

the piano man
Well, there is a difference between (quickly) killing for nourishment and slowly and painfully killing for entertainment. And i say that as someone who eats meat maybe 5 times a month :/

lol no there's no difference whatsoever

in both cases you kill an animal for your wellbeing, one is entertainment, one is nourishment, both can be covered in different ways that do not involve killing animals.

the death circumstances play no role here.

Orbis

Unless you're a vegetarian you don't really get any moral high ground condemning bullfighting
Unless you're vegan you don't really get any moral high ground telling meat eaters they can't get any moral high ground condemning bullfighting.

But seriously, you can't equate the torture of animals for sport to the (currently) necessary growing and killing of our own food supply.

Fliesen

again, i'm not a hard-core vegan, neither am i a strong proponent of the meat industry.

I just think that the way a cow is *cough* "processed" in a (responsible) slaughterhouse is being killed in a more humane way than a bull in the arena - and it's killed for a purpose beyond that of people watching and cheering as it dies painfully.

I do believe there's a certain nuance and i do believe you can strongly condemn one without condemning the other as harshly.

Like, if you were to kill me, i'd hope it'd be quickly and hopefully because you wanted to steal my cash and my shoes. And not just stab me and revel in inflicting pain on me :/

Koren

Southern France, Spanish Border, but more in land than Mediterranean... so yeah... basically same kind of "TRADITION HURDUUUUR!" shit fest and the politicians that take advantage of it to get reelected.
One of the disappointment I felt with En Marche was seeing a Torera candidate (and she'll be elected). Not surprised, though.

But yes, it's a small part of France, a minority in opinions, and it's not even a tradition (I mean, hasn't this been introduced only in the second part of the XIXth century?

On topic, I can't rejoice because of a death, it's sad... But since some people definding it says it's fair because people in the arena risk their lives, too, it'snot illogical it happens from time to time...

Maximo

It's sad.

What the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom