• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Quote Archivist: Jiggy37

Jiggy2.gif

Section of Posts: #47,501 to 50,000

Page 960 – Everybody goes nuts over the update of Wario’s alternate costume.
Page 961 – Then we realize that it says he’s the only chracter who has one, and we all either fall into despair or start spinning why the text doesn’t and can’t mean what it says. D: These things can't be captured in quotes. Click over and watch as the tide had turned.

Page 962 – Jiggy claims that the female Pokemon Trainer design is more recognizable than Wario. This does not end well.

Post 48107 – Jiggy’s thoughts on the Justin Bailey outfit after Iam Canadian points something out.
Jiggy37 said:
Iam Canadian said:
I don't know, I never really like Justin Bailey Zero Suit Samus. To me, the Zero Suit we see post ZM looks more logical; it actually looks like the kind of suit Samus would wear under her Power Suit (no inexplicable high-heeled boots here).
*squints at a Justin Bailey Samus sprite* I'm not seeing what you're seeing, but if those boots have heels then I retract my stance entirely, partly because of the nonsensicality of it but mostly since high heels should of course be banned from existing--both in life and in video games--and also make up the main reason I almost never play as Peach or Zelda even though I like them both personality-wise. D: (Which is yet another reason I had wanted alternate outfits. I'd play as, say, Mario Hoops Peach.)

Post 48173 – People freak out over a picture posted by ant1532, assuming this means Smash has gone gold. It would later turn out that it was only some Engrish.
ant1532 said:

Post 48222 and Post 48228 – As the whole thread looks forward to A Sakurai Christmas near the end of 2007, m00 decides that Jiggy is Pollyanna; Iam Canadian agrees.
m00 said:
Jiggy37 said:
I don't believe in the least that it'll happen. :D But two things:

1) I specialize in getting my hopes up when it comes to Wii content even when everything says I shouldn't! For example, today was a lame Christmas Eve Virtual Console Monday, so now I've simply moved into hyping myself up for an awesome New Year's Eve VC Monday even though I'm sure I'll be disappointed again. :D Edit: And then after the New Year's Eve VC Monday fails to deliver, I'll hype myself up for the first VC Monday of 2008! :D
I no longer have any doubts. Jiggy, you are Pollyanna. :D
Iam Canadian said:
Jiggy3 said:
2) I enjoy predicting big because if I actually end up being right against all odds, I look more legendary. >_> :D
I think your astonishing devotion to and thoroughness with statistics have already made you legendary, at least to the regulars in this thread.

Going with the Pollyanna theme, Jiggy, you're as crazy as a loon
but that's why we believe in you.

In all seriousness, though, I'm not seriously expecting anything better than a stage and I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be getting a Final Smash.

Post 48272 and Post 48299 and Post 48333 – KevinCow epitomizes a negative reaction to the Christmas update of Sonic’s final smash and Angel Island Zone music; Firestorm epitomizes a positive one. (There were many more reactions of each type.) Aras becomes a theoretical Crushed disciple and wonders where Simon Belmont is. But it’s not all unwavering joy or despair… even ethelred shows up once and again to hear Sonic music.
KevinCow said:
Sakurai? More like Scrooge-urai.
Firestorm said:
I read Final Smash and my reaction was "wtf we got this already"

And then... music. OMG YES YES YES YES YES YES OHHHHHHHHHHH YESSS GOD YES YES YES
Aras said:
-o- Sakurai hates us!!! he wants everyone to go to hell u________u

maybe he forgot to mention that Simon Belmont is going to be in smash cause Santa arrived at this home just the moment he was going to upload the screenshots of belmont T_T lol

Post 48480 – Meloche is the first but certainly, inevitably not the last to make a particular trophy stand analogy.
Meloche said:
So basically it's like catching Pokemon? Awesome.

Post 48532 and Post 48537 – Iam Canadian and Dreavus sum up pre-play thoughts on Subspace Emissary.
Iam Canadian said:
The Subspace Emissary looks to combine the best aspects of Kirby and Pokemon.

And that's awesome.

So far, December has redeemed Novembust at least two times over.
Dreavus said:
So the SSE is kind of like a brand new Kirby side-scroller, except it's on the wii, and I can play several Nintendo characters, and it has Pokemon-esque monster capturing.

Friends, this alone is worth the purchase.

Please Sakurai, take my money! Take it!

Post 48607 – KevinCow muses about whether he’d want a rebalanced game if things weren’t worked out correctly. I don’t know what eventual conclusion he came to, but I for one will say I would. Definitely.
KevinCow said:
Holy Order Sol said:
Should have been Super Smash Bros. Third Strike.
A slight tangent, but this makes me wonder how I'd feel if they did the typical fighting game route and released a rebalanced version of the game in a couple of years. Because on the one hand, I don't want to buy the game twice. But on the other hand, I don't want to wind up with a game that has a few stupidly overpowered characters like Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falco in Melee.

Well, hopefully they just get it right the first time.

Post 48680 – Following the Coin Launcher update that had people clamoring that yet another genre was being represented in Smash, Danthrax underestimates the number of trophies and stickers!
Danthrax said:
Sciz said:
Fighter, beat 'em up, and shmup? Any other genres I'm missing?

Sakurai, you spoil us.

I can't begin to imagine how many individual trophies and stickers this game is going to have. Go go gadget collectathon
in a good way
I'm calling it -- this game will have 500 trophies and 500 stickers. 1,000 little worthless things to collect, and each will be oh so satisfying. =P

[edit] You forgot "platformer"

Post 48692, Post 48699, and Post 48716 – TreIII and Sciz decide Brawl could probably never be topped. KevinCow disagrees. Months later, we would find out that KCow was correct; Sakurai was asked in a post-release interview whether there was anything else he’d wanted to put in but had no time for, and he replied that he’d keep his other ideas a secret in case he came back for another game.
TreIII said:
RTS(or some kind of Strategy RPG) and Sim-Life/Dating mode. That's pretty much all this game needs in order to be able to cater to pretty much every fanbase that could exist. :D

Honestly though, with Sakurai pretty much throwing everything in here...I'm almost beginning to wonder...is he really just trying to make it so there really CAN'T be another Smash game after this? Because, the way things are now, I'd be hard-pressed to think how he, or any one else, for that matter, could hope to outdo this kind of package deal.
Sciz said:
They can always add more of the same kinds of content, but I'll agree that it'll be nigh-impossible to outdo Brawl in the same fashion that Brawl is blowing away Melee. From a cost:content standpoint, every other game of the last several years is going to look overpriced by comparison, Orange Box included.

It's like Sakurai's own personal Final Smash.
KevinCow said:
When Melee came out and it one-upped SSB64 in pretty much every conceivable way, I said, "Man, I don't think the next Smash could possibly outdo Melee in the way Melee outdid SSB64."

If Sakurai's involved, he'll find a way.

Post 48830 – After Jiggy agrees with TreIII that there are enough Mario characters, but wouldn’t mind Daisy, ShockingAlberto gives his own ShockingThoughts on her.
ShockingAlberto said:
Daisy had quite the badonkadonk in Mario Strikers.

Post 48876, Post 48908, and Post 48923 – The thoughts of Sharp, TreIII, and JKBii after we learn there’s going to be a week without updates.
Sharp said:
Uh-oh, Sakurai. Don't deny GAFers their fix. They can grow... desperate.
TreIII said:
"All seven languages of Smash Bros. Dojo will take a year-end holiday break from posting following 28th December. We plan to resume posts on 7th January.

Have a happy new year!"
....*laughs maniacally*

Sakurai, you magnificent, magnificent bastard! :lol
JKBii said:
Only Sakurai would take a holiday break after the holidays.

Post 48978 and Post 48979 – zoku88 and Jiggy discuss whether GAF plays games. Shortly after, KevinCow successfully predicts his own ban.
zoku88 said:
Don't kid yourself, we don't actually play games :p
Jiggy37 said:
Well, we do "play" games and we will "play" Brawl. It's just that, around here, games are a means to an end, where the end is us coming back to NeoGAF and launching into spirited debates about tiers, items, rule sets, tourney-legal stages, and stuff of all sorts that "should have" but didn't make it into the game. Keep your eye on the goal. :D
KevinCow said:
I am almost certain my first ban will come from one of these arguments - er, "spirited debates."

Post 49078 – With no updates to follow, Jiggy loses it and starts tracking how many screenshots each character has appeared in. (No need to quote directly since these things are fully updated several posts up from right here.) Everybody decides Jiggy needs a tag.

Post 49307 – Jiggy further breaks down and starts tracking update types by day.

Post 49386 – ShockingAlberto’s response to Aras’ anime face spam.
ShockingAlberto said:
Aras said:
Aras said:
Aras said:
Aras said:
Aras said:
6k9raxs.jpg
[Jiggy note: I'm not sure if I like it because Aras is hilarious (in a good way, I like the guy) or because Alberto's picture is from Haruhi, which is of course fantastic and everybody should watch. Including the second season, whenever that shows up. And also buy the novels if they're ever officially translated.]

Post 49396, Post 49398, Post 49410, Post 49414 – TreIII, Man God, Jiggy, and TreIII again on the twisted logic of Nintendo, Pokemon, and Mother. I haven't put in direct quotes because I needed to conserve space protect the eyes of innocent quasi-humans ("children"), but these are great reads. If you dare look into the dark side of Nintendo, click the links. :eek:

Post 49421 – A Link to the Snitch’s fantastic idea of a turn-based strategy game using the trophies. (Well, he was thinking of characters, but I added trophies.) We know you’re reading this, Nintendo. Get to it! :D
A Link to the Snitch said:
I hope SSBB covers all genres.

Fighting - Buh
Platforming - SSE
Adventure - SSE
RPG - Add leveling up to SSE
Flight sim - Use the engine from the end credits in SSBM as an Star Fox SSE level
Strategy Mode - Move your pieces around (pieces being SSBB characters, attacking a character results in you going into a regular HP battle with them - enemies can be basic enemies like Goombas, Assist Trophies, Bosses, playable characters, etc.)
Pinball - Simple mini-game

etc.

Post 49428, Post 49432, Post 49436, and Post 49445 – A Link to the Snitch, vertopci, Jiggy, and Gunloc on Rick Wheeler as the new Captain Falcon.
So what if Rick Wheeler replaced Captain Falcon?
vertopci said:
Who the hell is Rick Wheeler?
Gunloc said:
Jiggy37 said:
For a second I felt like answering who Rick Wheeler was, but then I just closed the window--because, really, maybe if we ignore Wheeler long enough he'll simply stop existing, and that would be a win for everybody.
This is the meaning of life condensed into one sentence.

Post 49453 – Golden Darkness begins to create a grand archive of the first replies to each update. pulga and Firestorm decide he’s not Jiggy, but I actually think this was a wonderful idea. Too bad it was never completed. Also too bad that it's much, much too long to be quoted here without getting way over the character limit, due to all the links.

Post 49551, Post 49555, Post 49577 – Jiggy decides that Kirby wasn’t playable at E For All because the hat update would have lost 65% of its charm; JonathanEx decides that this was a mathematical calculation; Jiggy scrambles to turn it into a mathematical calculation.
Jiggy37 said:
Meloche said:
I still sort of wonder why Kirby wasn't playable at E for All.
Because then the hat update would have lost 65% of its charm.
JonathanEx said:
And for the doubters, Jiggy probably actually figured out the exact amount of charm lost mathematically.
Jiggy37 said:
Well, see, 14 out of the 19 screenshots from that update would have been old news, which would have been 73.68% charm lost, but the two pictures with Zero Suit Samus and the one with Kirby eating Mario would still be decently cool in their own way, so if we assume that each of those would retain 55% of their quality then we'd be left with the equivalent of 6.65 good screenshots out of 19, leaving us with 35% of the charm retained and 65% lost.

I didn't do any of this until after you posted, and had to come up with a way to make the numbers match my made-up 65% figure.

Post 49585 – In the entire thread, this may be the only explanation of why there should be more female characters that doesn’t translate to “Smashsausagefestlol” or “need more eye candy ;_;.” ShockingAlberto is at least right about that. D:
ShockingAlberto said:
Jiggy37 said:
Re: females in Brawl, the number one reason I think they're requested so often is because most of the ones even remotely eligible are less generic than the males who are also eligible. Whether it's Midna, Dixie, Ashley, Micaiah, or even--yeah--a certain blue fox, they've got some potentially new and interesting mechanics in them. There's maybe one male magic user eligible for Brawl at best (Ganondorf), but three females right there. And no male staff users are floating around waiting to be put on the roster, and no males to whack stuff with an enormous ponytail. I think these are all more interesting to a lot of people than another sword fighter or hand-to-hand guy.

And it's not even true just for female characters, but sidekick characters in general, which is why people want to see the likes of Tingle throwing maps or whatever (for example), or even just less famous characters like Olimar with his Pikmin. It's also why a load of people love Mr. Game & Watch's wacky moveset and the idea of Pokemon Trainer's unique switching mechanic, but not--say--Donkey Kong, who's a really ordinary heavyweight who punches things hard like any other heavyweight in any other fighting game anywhere. Even Ganondorf's Melee moveset gets some hate in this thread, and it's not just because he's a clone but because they could have done something a lot more interesting than the punches and kicks that everybody else can do also.

I mean, we've had people in this very thread holding out for stuff like a playable Shyguy just because there's so much potential creativity there from Yoshi's Island alone. I was holding out for playable Jill until she was revealed as an assist trophy, because--well, she controls a robot with drills. There wouldn't be anything like it in Smash. And even now I'm hoping they do the Animal Crossing character (if there is one) justice instead of the usual hand-to-hand combat used for human fighters.

All that said, I think (hope) that by now everybody realizes the only criteria being used to determine who gets into Brawl are that the characters are either iconic or significant leads in a lesser-known series (Pit, for example). But the above is at least my rationale for wanting more females with no chance to get in and sidekicks who also have no chance to get in, and I'm pretty sure the same is true for a lot of others.
See, this is logical. That's wanting a character in that happens to be female.

But most of what I see, and most of what goes on in this thread, is "I SURE HOPE THE NEXT CHARACTER ISN'T MALE, NO MATTER WHO IT IS." It's damn near embarrassing to read.

Post 49625 – TreIII on the possibility that Smash could have gone down an alternate path where single-player was of primary importance initially. Jiggy isn’t sure whether this interesting hypothetical would have been better or not as good. Tre and Jiggy further ponder it. As per usual, not quoting the whole exchange, just the first post.
TreIII said:
Jiggy37 said:
Yep. Personally, I really just want to hear them admit it upfront some time. Just say "Yes, Smash Bros. came about because HAL's Kirby Super Star engine seemed viable for a fighting game" or whatever the truth is.
All we CAN peace together, given the info we do possess, is that Sakurai definitely did have plans for the engine, and probably wanted to use it to craft a story.

However, Miyamoto has been recently quoted that he "wanted Sakurai to focus on the MP aspects" of the game, which is why we probably why we've gotten Smash as we know it today, instead of something like the "Subspace Emissary" from the jump.

It would have been interesting if circumstances were otherwise. Maybe Smash Bros. would have been more like Guardian Heroes, in a way, where the story mode was the real meat and potatoes, and the multiplayer would have evolved into something serious down the road...

Post 49701 – Noteworthy only because I think this is the first time we hear of the nickname Cherry-don for Sakurai. :D
sp0rsk said:
Here's another one
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1952973

I love it, they call Sakurai Cherry-don

Post 49764 and Post 49768 – Some Photoshops.
CreatureX3 said:
Yep, there are so many great photoshops in this thread!

yorick-edited.jpg

940301193122578485eu8.jpg

180px-SSBX.png

:lol
Jiggy37 said:
As fantastic as Jigglypuff is, I still have to give credit where it's due. :D

6bw3jux.jpg

Sidenote: It feels really bizarre that 700 pages ago it was only August 24th.
[Jiggy note: that first picture was Snake holding a Wario head and delivering the Yorick line from Shakespeare.]

Post 49951 – The prominent Zeed rings in Page 1000 on the forum default setting! :O
Zeed said:
img.59197_t.jpg

HEY VEGETA, WHAT'S THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THE PAGE LEVEL?

OVER1000.png

WHAT 1000?

1000.jpg

Cheers guys, this post marks the first time in GAF history that page numbers have hit FOUR DIGITS!!!

celebration6_2.jpg

I just realized that Page 1000 isn't quite the same thing as Post #50,000.

I'll leave that honor to someone else! :D

Post 50000 – And flipping_heck rings in Post 50,000! :D
flipping_heck said:
Glad to be part of this moment! 1000th page ftmfw!!

Jiggy

Quote Archivist: Keru_Shiri

Keru_Shiri.gif

Section of Posts: #50,001 to 52,500

Not a whole lot to report. Most of the stuff there were witty anecdotes, largely erroneous roster predictions, some false prophets, and a whole lot of Olimar luvins.

Personal favorites:
sp0rsk said:
I think I have a mancrush on Cherry-don
If only because it was sp0rsk.
Innotech said:
Sora would fucking suck as much in SSBB as he does in Kingdom farts.
I like Kingdom Hearts, and thought Sora would've been excellent inclusion, but this "third-grade humor out of nowhere" post cracked me up during my run-through.
m00 said:

Thread Milestones:

ShockingAlberto's avatar is born
KittenMaster said:

Dojo's hiatus is officially over, with Melee's returning stages.
Golden Darkness said:

Last starting character revealed:
Danthrax said:

First rumblings of the dreaded final delay...
WindyMan said:
Uh-oh...
Nintendo World Report said:
GameFly, the online game rental service that works much like Netflix, now lists a release date of 03/12/2008 for the game. GameCrazy, the game retailer affiliated with Hollywood Video stores, is listing 03/31/2008, but release dates on the last day of a month typically mean the game could be released at any time during that month. Other major online retailers, including EBgames.com, Outpost.com, Amazon.com, and Walmart.com, are still displaying the February 10 date.
However, Nintendo World Report has learned from a trusted source, who wishes to remain anonymous, that Wal-Mart's corporate database has indeed been updated to reflect an early March release for Brawl.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15073

Jiggy

Quote Archivist: Firestorm

Firestorm.gif

Section of Posts: #52,501 to 55,000

First delay mention:
_Alkaline_ said:
An EB games in Canada shows Brawl being delayed till March.

Im getting a bit worried now - several sites are showing a delay.

sp0rsk hates us:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9301963&postcount=52783
sp0rsk said:
There will not be a worldwide thread for Smash brothers. No way in hell am I gonna deal with you people again.

Oblivion is crazy:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9315746&postcount=53110
Oblivion said:
HK-47 said:
You dont get it, when JB started they didnt have Galaxy planned. If they started Galaxy during JB's dev period, Galaxy would be taking away assets from JB, not the other way around. JB superceded Galaxy. They werent gonna just leave the game half finished.
I don't think we're on the same page here. To clarify, I'm not saying Nintendo should have started development of SMG midway between development of DK: JB. I'm saying there should never have been a DK: JB in the first place.

Feep gives us the goods:
Feep said:
This game is delayed until early March, if anyone was wondering. (sigh) Bastards, but at least I'll have time to finish the 2007 run-off.

Confirmed.

This never happened. Where is it:
Relix said:
If the game is delayed I will cut my balls off and hold the tag "I cut my balls off" for all eternity.

If it isn't my tag will be "Smash Prophet".

Deal? :D

sp0rsk breaks his rules :mad:
sp0rsk said:
Do you know about the delay like I know Megaman isn't in the game, or do you know like SuperAngelo64 knows megaman is in the game.

That's what I wanna know.
Keru_Shiri said:
sp0rsk, you may want to edit your previous post, before you get banned.

DELAY BEGIN:
MThanded said:
Due to delays in the completion of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we’ve had to change the release date of the game to Sunday, March 9th.

I deeply apologize to the people who have looked forward to playing the game for so long and ask that you hold on just a little longer. Thank you for your patience.

Delay confirmed

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sakurai Wiki Edits:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9330007&postcount=53447
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9330104&postcount=53471
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9330179&postcount=53489
ezekial45 said:
From Sakurai's Wiki:

Sakurai Died on January 14, 2008 after a crowd of angry fans killed him for Delaying Brawl a 2nd time. A fan was heard screaming you must recover in the incident.

:lol :lol :lol
Ashhong said:
Man people are really fucking up his wiki
Masahiro Sakurai (桜井政博, Sakurai Masahiro?) (born on August 3, 1970 in Tokyo, Japan) is a game concept designer, the asshat behind both the Kirby and the Super Smash Bros. series (With the newest one being delayed a second time because he's such a douche) on Nintendo platforms, and the author of a weekly column for Famitsu magazine.
PunjabiPlaya said:
Sakurai once said"I wanted to make a game that was like Duke Nukem Forever." Well, he got his wish.

:lol :lol :lol

SmashBoards Post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9338786&postcount=53712
JohnTinker said:
SexConker said:
I just visited the smashboards forum...

WTF

8 year olds should not have keyboards.
http://mydogyoshi.googlepages.com/lolsmashboards3.gif
[Jiggy note: Click it, seriously. I only didn't quote it because it's enormously tall, but basically this guy goes in to troll a Gamestop about release dates. Srsly.]

More Delay:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9338945&postcount=53716
Papercuts said:
This delay can only be the work of the Devil.

Picture2-1.png
[Jiggy note: Not quoting the other picture since it contains a scan of a Japanese magazine; GAF decided later that it wouldn't allow those on the forums.]

First Review!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9342689&postcount=53825
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9342876&postcount=53843
Jonnyram said:

You guys are gonna splooge when you see the cross review score :lol

IamCanadian tells us why we should buy Kirby Superstar DX when it comes out:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9343664&postcount=53882
Iam Canadian said:
TreIII said:
Even with Kirby Super Star, on paper, being nothing more than a collection of mini-games...it still ended up having more meat on its bones than a number of "full-fledged" games out there, both at that time frame, and even now.
The cool thing about Kirby Super Star (actually, one of many cool things, but bear with me) is that it manages to incorporate almost every philosphy of platform game design into a single title, under the guise of "mini-games". In Super Star, we got a traditional Kirby sidescroller (Spring Breeze), a racer (Gourmet Race), a Mario World-style game with secret exits and enemy encounters on the world map (Dyna Blade), a Metroidvania-style exploration and collecting-based game (Great Cave Offensive), a non-linear game where the levels could be selected in any order (Milky Way Wishes), and a hardcore, fast-paced action game (Revenge of Meta Knight).

This isn't even counting the timing based minigames, the boss rush, the RPG battles, and the Parodius-like side-scrolling shooter near the end. Sakurai's versatility is mind-boggling, and it's this talent that makes Brawl the magic that it is.

I keep saying this, but Kirby Super Star is the genesis of Super Smash Bros. Many of Smash's ideas have their roots in Super Star.
[Jiggy note: you should also buy Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe on DS because it's really freaking fantastic, and the single greatest sidescroller Nintendo ever produced, overall. Not the greatest in single-player, admittedly--that would be Super Metroid or Yoshi's Island--but even in single-player it's right up there in their top five; in co-op it's purely sublime. And, again, the original game that's being remade here was created by Sakurai. All Smash fans should love Sakurai, yes?]

Sheik is a woman or a man?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9344308&postcount=54063
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9344559&postcount=54087
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9346441&postcount=54162
Rotanibor Eht said:
sheik_080116b-l.jpg

I don't think those are tits. Its either just a weird angle, or the front flap thing of Sheik's outfit is hanging down a bit.

sheik.jpg

While the view is somewhat obstructed, there is clearly no bumps in this shot.
Thunder Monkey said:
Crushed said:
Oh God, a bulge. :lol
I'm not sure I...

Sheik.gif

...oh, there it is...
Crushed said:
Snake: Mei Ling, Princess Zelda just... transformed!

Mei Ling: Yes, Snake. Zelda knows how to disguise herself with magic to turn into her alter-ego, Sheik. This lets her keep a low profile from anyone attempting to steal the crown of Hyrule.

Snake: But... she looks... different.

Mei Ling: “It is the beautiful bird which gets caged.” It's a Chinese proverb, Snake. It means, that your talents and gifts which come naturally, may earn you unwanted attention. Those expensive dresses and royal jewels won't help the Princess defeat an attacker.

Snake: Actually, I meant that "Sheik" looks more like a man than a woman.

Mei Ling: Well... it is a disguise, Snake.

Snake: No, really. I mean... how?

Mei Ling: How what?

Snake: How does she change her... ?

Mei Ling: Ohhhh. Ew. I. Uh.

...Look, ask Otacon. I'm sure that his anime shows deal with that sorta stuff.

No Jiggy, this is NOT how you change a topic:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9349250&postcount=54207
Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, arguing about Sheik is kind of getting old.

Let's argue about tiers in Smash Bros. or any other fighting game. Do they matter? Do they exist? Are they imaginary? Is it possible that Pichu is totally broken and the only reason people haven't realized it is that not enough people have tested Pichu because society has colored their perception and made them too prejudiced against the little yellow mouse to really try playing as it?

Come on guys. :D If we finish this argument quick enough, we can move on in a single day to which stages should be tourney legal, before we've played them! ^__^

Guys Guys Guys, there are other games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9353457&postcount=54277
Jiggy37 said:
At the time of this writing:

Total posts: 54277
Total posts from the top 5 posters: 7885 (~14.53% of the thread)
Top 10 posters: 11867 (~21.86%)
Top 20: 16841 (~31.03%)

Among the top 20, notables for their percentages of posts in the Dojo thread to posts on GAF period:

Jiggy37 - 2490/7742 (32.16%)
Zeed - 1481/6326 (23.41%)
Iam Canadian - 1371/2583 (53.08%) !!!!!
ShockingAlberto - 1340/4720 (28.39%)
SuperAngelo64 - 1011/1064 (95.02%) !!!!!!!!!!
CreatureX3 - 807/1634 (49.39%) !!!
MrCheez - 663/2241 (29.59%)
Keru_Shiri - 545/1410 (38.65%) !
Scribble - 510/1154 (44.19%) !!!
Danthrax - 469/1939 (24.19%)
Insaniac - 450/1301 (34.59%) !
crowphoenix - 418/1087 (38.45%) !
GamerSoul - 407/840 (48.45%) !!!

I don't know about you guys, but this has given me a whole new perspective on Smash fans. I almost feel like continuing down the line for a while. :eek:

aLttS says TLink is in, Gekkonidae says he's not:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9363470&postcount=54540
Gekkonidae said:
Apparently, this is what the WW Link trophy translates to:

""Casual Wear Link" Trophy
It's Link in casual wear. He's wearing a cut-and-sewn V-neck shirt with a lobster design on both front and back. His orange capri pants coordinate his outfit. He's known as the fashion leader among the residents of Outset Island. Compared to his well-known green outfit, this one is more leisurely.
[Gamecube] The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker"

So I'd definitely say that WW Link is playable.
I don't buy the whole cell-shaded link idea. Unless they're planning on building an entire cell-shading engine just for one character, which I don't see happening. To get that effect without building a whole engine around him they would have to make him 2D, which wouldn't really look the same.

Jiggy tells us his plans:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9367784&postcount=54603
Jiggy37 said:
I compile statistics in order that I might one day realize my dream of creating androids and programming them with lifelike human behavior. Just wait until 2042, when my bots will be running around DoubleNeoNeoGAF discussing hardware sales and Smash Bros. 7.

HotByCold :O
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9371155&postcount=54787
Akai said:
CoolS said:
OK I looked through like 40 or 50 pages now and still haven't found the guy who knew about this update. GHNAAAA!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=86

Now you can pester him all you like... ;)
[Jiggy note of random and total bias: I would just like to say that Akai is an awesome person whose great taste is proven by liking Marin and thinking of Colette as the best RPG heroine ever. Yes, Firestorm, I am filling your section with love for Colette. You may hate me later. :D]

We hit 3 million:
M3wThr33 said:
3 million thread views!

lol pwnt:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9376585&postcount=54991
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9376658&postcount=54995
Firestorm said:
5 - 10 hours? I think that's too long. I'm hoping for 2 - 4 hours max personally. Subspace Emissary is something I want to play through multiple times. For me, a standard game is 8 hours long. Portal-length is perfect for SSBB.
Azuran said:
Baryn said:
Sucks the sticker attributes are only for The Subspace Emissary.

That mode better be 5-10 hours long, or so help me god! I will cancel my third pre-order!
5 hours is too long. I remember trying to unlock all of the Advance Wars: DS wallpapers and playing story mode for that. In the end I only manage to get half of them because beating story mode in that game takes a lot of time.

2 hours would be perfect. 3 would be pushing it.

wtf Famitsu:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9376655&postcount=54994
farnham said:
according to famitsu you will need no more less then 240 hours to complete the single player adventure mode with all characters

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard...ext=%B4%EB%B3%AD%C5%F5&time=1209600&num=14201
[Jiggy note: With all characters? As in, playing through each level with each character in the post-game? More like 280 hours, if you could manage an average 8 hours per character and used only 35 of them (i.e. no Zelda/Sheik doubling up, or Samus/Zero Suit Samus).]

Jiggy

Jiggy3.gif

Section of Posts: #55,001 to 57,500

Post 55083 – DavidDayton’s coverage of all the Nintendo games not yet seen represented in Brawl. Not quoted here due to length constraints, but a worthwhile venture.

Post 55300 and Post 55305 One of KevinCow’s dozens of meltdowns—and among the best of them!—about turning off items in Smash Bros. (In his defense, a bit later down the line he would come to accept both styles of play.) Firestorm replies.
KevinCow said:
Firestorm said:
It's just slightly annoying casual fans like KevinCow start bashing on people not playing the same way they do.
And tourneybitches such as yourself assume everyone who doesn't play by your shitty rules is a casual player. I'm not a casual player. I just like actually playing Smash Bros., not the boring, shitty game that you play that isn't actually Smash Bros.

As I've said before, I wouldn't have a problem with that boring shitty game that isn't Smash Bros. being played in tournaments if it didn't mean that there weren't any actual Smash Bros. tournaments. But it does mean exactly that, and I never get to watch videos of people who are actually good at Smash Bros. as opposed to your boring shitty game, so your boring shitty rules suck.
Firestorm said:
Stop taking the term casual as an insult? If I wanted to insult you I'd have called you an idiot. You are an idiot.

And if you want to have a tournament with items on and... well, I dunno what other rules considering that's about the only difference, go ahead? Make a thread on SmashBoards or somewhere else. Find venue. Make an entrance fee.

Post 55331 – SuperAngelo64’s summary of what “percentage” of the thread had been taken up by arguing over casual vs. hardcore Smash play.
SuperAngelo64 said:
Cowie said:
1100+ pages
but THIS is the one where we settle the casual vs hardcore smash debate, once and for all.
I can feel it.

Jiggy, do you have any stats on what percentage of this thread is sucked up by us arguing about this shit?
I'll handle this one, Jiggy.

"Too-fucking-much%"

In the past it started around "shittily-moderate%" which made a steady incline of "a-little%" during the 'great drought' or 'shit desert' that began around the beginning of 12/01/07.

It then reached "A-whole-fucking-lot%" as time progressed.

Also, here are some numbers that may or may not be entirely relevant:

-16.5%

Post 55349 – Semantic Continuum asks for what this post--as in the one you’re reading, not the one linked to--now delivers.
Semantic Continuum said:
Someone needs to do a Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: The Greatests Posts

I'd hit it

Post 55364, Post 55367, Post 55368, and Post 55369 – sp0rsk, Crushed, and Man God musing over tournament rules.
sp0rsk said:
Crushed said:
Can I take a potato chip... AND EAT IT?!?!?!?!?
It depends. Are you eating the potato chip using tournament rules?
Crushed said:
No salts, no preservatives, original flavor only.
Man God said:
Ruffles Only
No Dip
Final Destination?
sp0rsk said:
You are only allowed to eat the potato chip in a neutral kitchen.

Post 55441 – pulga sums up the questions that linger over the heads of everyone in the thread every day.
pulga said:
Will Crushed finally lose what little sanity he has left?

Will SuperAngelo64 reveal what development team he works for?

Will sp0rsk ban the next unlucky motherfucker who posts rumors?

Will Jiggy eventually enslave us all and replace us with robotic overlords?

Shit, this thread like a day time soap, Mexican telenovela, reality tv, comedic sitcom and tearbusting drama all wrapped into one. Damn more entertaing to boot.

Post 55473 – coreycubed says our thread has “the best poster to idiot poster ratio out of anywhere else I’ve been,” and provides a GIF.
coreycubed said:
I've been tracking this thread for about 100 pages, and have to say that it's got the best poster to idiot poster ratio out of anywhere else I've been. Here's hoping that my posting here doesn't throw that off :lol

In other other other news, after tracking this thread for about 100 pages, the only universal truth I've been able to glean is this:

35ivxc3.jpg

Post 55497 – Yeah.
Crushed said:
Amir0x said:
Dang, you Smash fanatics REALLY need your fix. I guess fanservice is a dish best served... no i guess that saying doesn't work here. But man!

Anyway, enjoy. Behave. Listen to sp0rsk when he says things.
rje35i.png

Page 1111 – Three characters were leaked in one night via a video on Nintendo’s website… And you won’t really see us discussing it, because we all edited our posts to avoid getting banned. :lol

Post 55555 – Post 55555, baby!

Post 56101, Post 56104, and Post 56303 – ShockingAlberto, Jiggy, and Neiteio interpret the meaning of Mushroomy Kingdom.
ShockingAlberto said:
It's like this incredibly melancholy statement about how even the most historic of video game levels eventually falls in to disrepair.

It almost makes me depressed.
Jiggy37 said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl = Sakurai's love letter to gaming.

As for the color scheme, yeah, it's a bit brown. In fairness, SMB1 was also loaded up on brown--I mean, the floor, the blocks, and the breakable bricks were all brown there too--but at least that had some bushes and such.
Personally, though, I think the biggest dealbreaker for colors is the sky, and I think Mushroomy Kingdom would look super incredible if not for the ominous clouds. Imagining a bright and clear blue sky of optimism and hope contrasting against this wasteland where even the question mark blocks and pipes have had their colors muted by time... That would have been a dream. :eek:
Neiteio said:
I see the Mushroomy Kingdom as a beautiful summation of what Smash is all about: namely, refusing to lose your inner child. While every other stage is an escape from the real world into one of imagination, the Mushroomy Kingdom is a reminder that the real world will grind our youth and sense of wonder into dust, if we let it. Playing in such a stage is like refusing to let go of the magic we experienced as children.

Everyone should appreciate the Mushroomy Kingdom. As a non-canon crossover title, Smash is Nintendo's one opportunity to do something wild with their properties. And, in this case, something profound.

Post 56223 – TreIII on why the Ice Climbers are the sickest characters in the Nintendo universe.
TreIII said:
Crushed said:
Yes, Mario is a murderer.
Well....he's also evidently a supporter of child abuse, as well. He assaults minors on a half-way regular basis, as well as abusing young Yoshis, doing anything from force-feeding to make them grow into bastions of his own twisted campaign that he calls "liberating Peach", or just riding on their backs even though he dwarfs them by like being easily double their mass and weight. :lol

Even so, I would think that the singular highest title of being the sickest SOBs in Nintendo-dom would have to go to the Ice Climbers. In the JP version of their game (as well as in JP DX/Melee), you know what they REALLY were after? Not those stupid "Topi" things...they killed baby seals! With those over-sized hammers! Sheesh, at least everyone else who wants to kill seals usually just employs bats! Those sick mofos use those mallets! :lol

Post 56318 – Jiggy lays down a dumbly massive list of stuff to look forward to in Brawl. Dumbly massive. Unquotable here. Also on that page, various people reply with their own lists.

Post 56394 and Post 56400 – MarkMan says sp0rsk for president; sp0rsk gives an “interesting” response.
MarkMan said:
sp0rsk for president!
sp0rsk said:
I'd be Sakurai's first lady.

Page 1131 – The Smash Bros. Dojo’s update is late. And so, for one of the final times—because interest in the thread hadn’t dwindled yet—the Smash Bros. Dojo Thread kills NeoGAF’s servers by refreshing approximately seven hundred and eighty-two thousand, four hundred and thirty-six times.

Post 56746 – BlueSummers takes sp0rsk’s old avatar. sp0rsk warns him what will happen, and quite a bit later he actually does it! Oh yes.
Tim-E said:
BlueSummers said:
More like:

28thpc2.gif

Post 56811 – SuperAngelo predicts Geno, and Halycon provides a GIF that makes no sense. I’m not even sure if it’s supposed to. >_> 838K, so not quoted here.

Page 1138 and onward – Or page 569 for some of you. Relive the reactions to the Masterpieces update! I believe this is the other final time that the thread killed NeoGAF.

Post 57004 – Though not in so many words, the Sakurai Does What Nintendon’t movement begins. Soon enough it continues: now with a logo! It would become a rallying cry. Others such as VeritasVierge and Firestorm generally agree. (Still, Veritas mistakes my meaning because I think Lloyd sucks, and Firestorm is simply wrong about Colette being anything other than fantastically super, hence why I'm not quoting his propaganda.) Also Absinthe, Crushed, and I think BishopLamont is inferring it too.
Jiggy37 said:
Meloche said:
I've complained quite often that Nintendo has done a poor job of making casual Wii owners aware of the Virtual Console, and it's nice to see them finally getting the word out there on the service. Not only will Brawl's Masterpieces mode give newcomers a taste of some of the older Nintendo classics for the first time, but it'll also serve to introduce the Virtual Console service to a lot of people that have probably never checked out the Shop Channel at all. Good work Nintendo (Sakurai), keep it up.
Whoa, whoa. There is no "Nintendo" in this. At the risk of getting roasted by half the people in here, Nintendo can't even manage to sell themselves half as effectively as Sakurai has managed in one. Single. Game. No, really.

I mean, look. He's brought thirty-seven game composers on board, something Nintendo would never consider doing. He's promoted Konami and Sega, and hence is supporting the game industry as a whole. He's allowed users to create and share their own content. Nobody else at Nintendo bothers with this on a regular basis, at least not for high-visibility games (Advance Wars and Picross DS not being among them, for example). He's implemented all possible Wii control styles, where Nintendo would usually force one or the other out of traditional and experimental controls. Speaking of one or the other, he's put in a full-fledged adventure mode, which Nintendo also doesn't bother with; they're polarized, and are all for either single-player-only experiences (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), or multiplayer-heavy ones (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Wii Sports). It's most evident with how Miyamoto openly told Sakurai not to bother too much with single-player for the N64 game; they've got some kind of either/or mentality going on.

And now Smash Bros. is promoting VC more than Nintendo has in the fourteen months that the service has existed. This isn't Nintendo. This is all Sakurai, and he is the man.
mio said:
Classic demos?

66adfn.png
VeritasVierge said:
Ok, Jiggy, I forgive you for the Colette comment. Hell, you can even have Lloyd too.
Firestorm said:
No roastage, I agree. [snip]
Absinthe said:
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not really impressed with this announcement, but I think it's kick ass that he is practically making better decisions than Nintendo is with their games and franchises. They really should make demos an inherent part of the Wii Shop Channel service. I don't think that would be too terribly hard to implement.
Crushed said:
ethelred said:
That's lame. There should be demos available for every game on the Virtual Console as it is. You shouldn't need a retail disc for that.
Sakurai isn't in control of the Wii. He can only do so much.
BishopLamont said:
Be happy it's even on a retail disc.

Post 57089 – Neomoto pegs the significance of Smash Bros. Brawl and its place in gaming history with a pretty detailed post.
Neomoto said:
Wow, oh man, crazy and awesome update! And a truly brilliant addition. Not only are they doing things like creating Mushroomy Kingdom which has a next-gen reference to amazing masterpieces of the past but also including demo challanges for the originals for millions upon millions of people to enjoy/fall in love with aside from everything else and getting them more involved with the concept of Virtual Console? Amazing. This truly is a fanservice game like no other ever will be. One that probably will be forever rememberd in the future of the gameindustry.

Seriously Brawl keeps on delivering even after months and months of amazing and unbelievable updates :lol I know it's been said a thousand times already though but still.. wow.

It's easy to take this for granted at this point but everything about Brawl is beyond amazing. Seriously, this game probably won't be topped by any game in the future.. ever. Not even by a Smash Bros sequal by the samen team or and with Hal. I really don't see how it's humanly possible. Super Smash Bros. Brawl truly is a powerfull statement to the industry to show what Nintendo and Nintendo alone is capable of and even "small everyday" updates about the game can send shockwaves through the industry. If you think it through no other company could ever pull something like this off. Not withouth complete co-operation from a shitload of different developers and company's from the entire industry and even then it wouldn't come even close to the appeal Brawl has.

Iwata, for the love of God, do not waste this upportunity and keep "EAD Smash" and give this studio to Sakurai plus all the funding and resources he could possibly need and give him absolute freedom in creating whatever the fuck he wants. ANYTHING to keep him within Nintendo. Sakurai and this team are combining all the strength of Nintendo in one single game and executing it brilliantly. Even on the marketing department, Brawl is doing more for Nintendo franchises in general and even fucking Virtual Console than Nintendo has done for the last couple of years combined (and that is saying a lot more about Brawl than Nintendo). With all the succes the last two years and everything it would be such an incredible waste on so many different departments to let this all go away after Brawl it wouldn't be funny (and even financially - which is always the biggest factor - it would make a lot of sense).

Post 57124 – Gekkonidae provides an especially astute analysis of why the VC Masterpieces were added.
Gekkonidae said:
They ran out of things to put in Smash so they just started taking features the Wii should have and putting them in the game.

Page 1147 (and a little bit of the end of page 1146) – The thread degenerates into random Star Fox 64 quotes.

Post 57330 – Jiggy on why Nintendo really should have utilized VC demos before Brawl.
Jiggy37 said:
MisterHero said:
It's still not a huge deal.

VC is nothing to Wii owners who don't play Online anyways.
Well, that's kind of what I see as the problem. >_> VC could practically sell itself, if Nintendo would just let people know it existed... The NES Classics line performed very nicely and was probably more supported, yet here's a service that offers cheaper games, has support for more systems, has support for better systems with larger libraries... It should be a powerful incentive for Wii owners who aren't online to want to find a way to get online, but instead most people kind of ignore it or don't even know it's out there. And that's unfortunate, to me. :( If more users would get online, Nintendo could make more money, WiiWare would probably see better returns for developers, and Brawl might sell better--which for us would mean more people making and uploading stages, potentially a bigger competitive scene for Brawl, or even a bigger non-competitive scene (which I know many people here would love)...

So maybe I'm just clinging to scraps of hope, as well as showering too much praise on Sakurai and this feature, but even so, I still think that Brawl has potential to bring more Wii owners into an online setting, that it can promote VC, and that it can help sell newer gamers on these older classic games that deserve more exposure anyway. I'm just saying, I don't see a way Nintendo (or gamers as a whole) could have lost if they'd implemented this trial demo idea long before Sakurai did it first.

Post 57392 – And this one much more often than most, friend.
Jiggy37 said:
Keru_Shiri said:
Wow. I leave for a few hours and everyone is quoting Star Fox, Snitch wants a thousand game demos in Brawl, and BlueSummers has the most hideous avatar I've seen in days.

o_O
Ya know, threads break.

Post 57413 – May we never forget! PUN, PUN, FACO PUN! (YouTube link for you all not on NicoVideo.)
sp0rsk said:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2133471

The cutest falcon punch everrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jiggy

Jiggy4.gif

Section of Posts: #57,501 to 60,000

[Jiggy note: This section was done way before the format used in most of the other sections had been decided upon, and I couldn't figure out a way to convert it without losing some of the effect I was going for, being able to bring in multiple frivolous posts from all over the thread, entirely out of chronological order, while still allowing each of them to mean something in context. So, this will be a little different from usual.]

Post 57528 – After having compiled statistics to seek numerical validation of life’s meaning, Jiggy brings the link.
Jiggy37 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9493399&postcount=292

There you are. I think I've surpassed my limitations!

The first casualty of the wait for the Japanese release of Brawl, as noticed shortly by Fenix in Post 57629 and Iam Canadian in post 57669 and The Crimson Blur in Post 58090: Jiggy begins losing sanity and splitting personality, first losing sight of gender and then conversing about philosophy with a demon posing as a conscience and finally speaking to the Colette Avatar. Much later, the thread would discover that The Omni-Human software and mode swings were the cause.

Only some of the posts are quoted here; click over to see the rest.
OliveJuice said:
webrunner said:
If you bring up Wavedashing alone in the forest, is there still an argument?
If it's Jiggy, there is.
Jiggy37 said:
Truth! Not joining the debate club is among my five greatest regrets of my time in high school. :( Argue everything on every side every time, baby! Consider all possibilities--we're giving a fair shot to being too skeptical of skepticism to give skepticism a fair shot!
Jiggy37 said:
[...]I love Pokemon so much that I skip straight past fanboy and into fangirl
Jiggy37 said:
I'm personally holding out hope that the Japanese version doesn't have English as an option. D: I'm already trying to resist buying a Japanese Wii and importing Brawl. The internal rationalizations, they assault me as it is.
Evil Inner Thoughts: Hello there.

Chibi Jiggy: W-who are you?

EIT: I am your conscience.

CJ: Honto ni?

EIT: "Hai," my dear, obnoxious, overwrought otaku friend. I'm here to remind you that if you bought a Japanese Wii, you would be able to play Brawl early. And you could sell the system and game after you had the English version; truly there is nothing to lose.

CJ: But it seems so risky, Conscience-Sama. What if I couldn't find a buyer?

EIT: Why, how is that a problem? It would only mean you could keep your Japanese Wii, which surely has its own merits. Genesis games on VC would be 200 points cheaper, and furthermore you could play Final Soldier.

CJ: This is true. Dakedo... This reasoning all seems very utilitarian if not hedonistic, and never have I subscribed to the philosophies of--

EIT: And with a Japanese Wii, you also wouldn't have to worry about whether Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk makes it outside Japan and Europe.

CJ: And ToS: KoR has Colette. :eek: ... The Heroine of Kawaii and Purity and Ditz. :O

EIT: Yes, it certainly does. She's beckoning you.

CJ: ...

EIT: And just consider how many more times she might save the world by tripping at the right moment, how many more times she shall say "I"m sorry," and how this would sound in Japane--

CJ: Chotto matte! You can't possibly be my conscience, or you would see clearly the selfishness of this plan, which places me as its central beneficiary. Rather, I have always held that the truest beneficiary should be the developers who make the games that I love, with intention that they might beget more such games in future times--and all monies I could disburse into a Japanese Wii could have instead purchased six further copies of Brawl, or gifted plenteous copies of Super Star Soldier, or other such ends for which all gaming might cheer and revel. I have dismantled your argument totally and exposed your true form; away, foul demon! Before I take up my magical wand and transform to defeat thee in fairer and more corporeal combat. :mad:

EIT: Bah, foiled. But fear not, o self, for I muse: so long as impatience and emotion dwell in the heart of man, I will find another to haunt. *departs*
But no matter how much I combat it with logic and reasoning, I'm sure it'll be back later. D:

The second casualty of the wait as called by OliveJuice and TreIII, and sp0rsk was only waiting for the Japanese game! Nonetheless, he becomes compelled to post ASCII art of Opoona all over the thread, absolutely everywhere. However, later, when he gets the game, he seems exceptionally happy. These things may or may not be related to his replacement as an android.
OliveJuice said:
I was right about the update :eek:.

\(0w0)/ @ Sp0rsk. The wait must be killing him.
TreIII said:
XD at all of sp0rsk's shenanigans. I really did NOT expect for him to basically pull out the Opoona ASCII. He's gone plum loco! :lol

...then again....I've probably gone insane too...

*glares at Play-asia yet again*
Tempy said:
Nintaiyo said:
Keru_Shiri said:
sp0rsk said:
We'd need around 1.5 posts a minute to get to 60,000 by Thursday 0:00
I see Jiggy has already begun replacing posters with his stat-crunching androids. >_>
sp0rsk said:
Need Input
Syntax Error
Does not Compute

Post 58388 – SuperAngelo on the possibility of being killed by a tree.
SuperAngelo64 said:
Fireblend said:
You know, if that asteroid that's going by earth late tonight by some random chance hits us, we won't get to play Brawl because we'll be dead :(
We had a storm last night and there is a big giant shitty old tree next to the house.

It's not uncommon for giant old trees to fall down during storms and crush houses in this area.

I said "I'm going to be so fucking pissed off if that tree falls and kills me before Smash Brawl comes out."

My sister looked at me like I had just said the most ridiculous thing in the world.

When I initially said it, I honestly didn't see anything wrong with my remark.

The electricity went out, and I spent the rest of the night watching Brawl demo videos on my ZEN.

I think I have a problem.

The third casualty of the wait! Post 58518 chronicles Crushed’s fevered demand for sp0rsk to get hold of Brawl.
Jiggy37 said:
4:55 PM Pacific Time - "sp0rsk do you have the game yet"
5:00 PM - "now do you have it yet sp0rsk"
5:07 PM - "does he have it now"
6:09 PM - "so // does he have it yet"
8:45 PM - "sp0rsk do you have it yet"
8:51 PM - "so are we there or not /// ps: sp000000000000000000000000rsk"

Oh, and also 7:35 PM, but that's in the intro video thread.

Fourth casualty! In post 58533 TreIII snaps at last.
TreIII said:
sp0rsk said:
It is now 2:00pm Japan time.

By the time the tonight's update happens I will know if I can get it. I, of course won't be able to tell you guys till later.
Good hunting, sp0rsk-kun.

*snap*

YOU MUST RECOVER! YOU MUST RECOVER!

AH, THE NUMBERS!! JIGGY, JIGGY, CAN'T YOU SEE THEM?!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Post 58542, Post 58544, and Post 58548 – In light of all the bodies on Page 1171 in the last couple of hours before the game’s release, mCACGj, Lobster, and Jiggy analyze Sakurai’s time- and space-transcending powers.
mCACGj said:
It's amazing, the magic of Sakurai has also turned you all into 10 year olds!
Lobster said:
10 year old girls at that too.

Especially Crushed :lol
Jiggy37 said:
I'm pretty sure I've only become a 16-year-old girl. The numbers are protecting me. >_>

Page 1172 – Relive the reaction (QuickKick89 would say “fangasm”; Scalpel Knight would say “audiogasm”) to the starting list of 101 songs. (Later we would find out that there were one or two other unrevealed starter stages that also had some songs, making the number even larger.)
QuickKick89 said:
This is beyond a game. This is a total utter Nintendo fangasm.
Scalpel Knight said:
*audiogasm*

Post 58944 – Iwata Asks provides stealth confirmation of Smash Bros. 4?
Sakurai said:
I mean, we’re only on the third title in the series and whether or not you’ve played a previous version is not that important.

Post 59093 and Post 59183 – The Jiggybot Girl Mode is foreshadowed, and then appears less than an hour later.
Jiggy37 said:
Oh, I'm not channeling Colette; she just pops in to speak on occasion. If I actually activated the Jiggybot's Girl Mode--no, no, let's not dare think of the consequences.

Post 59216 and Post 59217 – Jiggy and TSA form a conspiracy theory on Brawl being delayed the extra month for the sake of being able to print more discs and set a higher record number.

Post 59406 – A long-awaited statistics collection with one of the Dojo thread’s favorite recurring pastimes: Star Fox 64 quotes.

Post 59509 – A huge archive of links to posts from dozens of people who had expected Ness was gone. Click over and witness self-ownage.

Post 59556 – sp0rsk makes the post that gives us the incentive to have had this Quote Hunt in the first place. Iam Canadian nominates Jiggy to do a closing post; Nintaiyo nominates Jiggy to do final statistics; Jiggy nominates the entire thread to look for good quotable posts. And so here we are!
sp0rsk said:
If enough people want this kept open, I'll leave it open. This thread deserves some sort of closure. For it to just die off would be too tragic.
Iam Canadian said:
pulga said:
So who should do the parting words? It should be someone who loves SSB and cares for this thread. I nominate Amir0x!
I'd nominate someone who's been in this thread for a long time, has an absurd amount of posts, and is willing to write a long, eloquent post that tries to summarize this thread.

Probably Jiggy.

Alas, I was unable to beat Jiggy's post-count. Curses!
Nintaiyo said:
Plus we need Jiggy to do a final stat analysis with all the updates, posts, users, etc. before this thread dies in a month or so.
Jiggy37 said:
If the thread is going to be killed off, I request 3-4 days' notice so I can put together some kind of fairly epic closing post about the significance of the thread, of the game, of Sakurai, and--perhaps most of all--of the Dojo itself. My degree might be in creative writing, but on a whim I believe I can cover a serious real-world discussion as well. I'm already envisioning what I'll say, and it would not disappoint.

Also, I could put in links to some of the greatest quotables from thread participants. But even for me, there's too much content in this thread to run through by myself; if a bunch of people could sign up to read through given sets of ~2500-post chunks (so 50 pages for my 50-posts-per-page comrades, but 25 pages for you 100-posts-per-page weirdos) and pull out some of the greatest quotes (usea replying to Jonk, for example) or most memorable moments (SuperAngelo64's infamous bet), I think that would be awesome for a final summary.

Post 59898, Post 59902, and Post 59907 – Sequence of posts about high heels and why they should be burned, banned, or both. You may or may not want to witness the reactions of Iam Canadian, crowphoenix, Iam Canadian again, a third time, Danthrax, and Danthrax again, but actually Vinci sums up the situation best from outside of the Dojo thread.
Jiggy37 said:
What would really blow your mind is if you checked that insects thread that Crushed linked to earlier. That was in my section of posts to read over. D: And even though I didn't click it again, it brought back terrifying memories. D: Oh, the dog-sized bugs and the mutated human bodies. D: It was even more horrible than that documentary I saw on high heels in like the mid-90s, and that one permanently changed my thinking without a doubt. D:
Jiggy37 said:
No, seriously, there was some documentary or other (or maybe it was just a news report, I don't know) about high heels, and they showed, like, X-ray scans of what happened to people who wore them too often or too high, so they had like these freaking hideous permanently deformed bones in their feet with toes shaped like talons. And even if they had just stopped at that, I would have freaked out, but then they showed the actual foot. D: Oh, and then there are people who go to cosmetic surgeons and have parts of their toe bones cut and replaced with surgical stuff so that they can fit into heels better. It's all rather frightening.

And to bring this back on topic, this is why I will never be using Peach even though she's a really strong Smash Bros. character. And why even though my taunt for Zelda will be something like "Power of flats!" as a joke, there's actually a deeply-rooted and deadly serious thought process behind it all.

Edit: Of course, I may have been more strongly affected than most because I saw this thing on TV when I was like 11 or 12, I don't know. Maybe it's like Itoi's inspiration for Giygas where it stuck more strongly with me for that reason?
Jiggy37 said:
Iam Canadian said:
Because I think it's fairly common knowledge that high heels are not good from a health perspective, but you seem especially serious about it, even though it technically doesn't affect you.
Oh, actually it does affect me. You see, every time some girl complains to me about her shoes, it annoys me because all I can think is that she chose to wear them herself and is being a hypocrite. For this very reason, high heels should actually be called "hypocrisy trainers" as a contrast to how some athletic shoes are called cross trainers.

On that note, I'm getting seriously off-topic, so I'll go no further than this for now. >_>
Vinci said:
One thing to love about GAF: You can enter a thread about a Nintendo game in which its famous characters beat one another senseless and unwittingly become a participant in someone reflecting on the grotesque nightmare that is ladies fashion.

Bravo.

Post 59921 – Chronicles of Jiggy’s OCD.
Jiggy37 said:
I don't hate 3D as long as they're doing something worthwhile with it, such as rail shooting (2D aiming mechanic = auto-justified!), arcade racing (simpler gameplay than most 2D experiences = auto-justified!), a mixture of the two (see Star Fox 64!) or clothing customization (since it's easier to model several clothes than draw several sprites, I expect developers to use it!). I'm really, really picky. Really picky (obligatory parenthetical phrase requiring an exclamation point!).

As for OCD, actually I'm not entirely joking about it. >_> But I did forget the thing I'll do before I even do those first four things: I have to wash my hands simultaneously with the plastic wrap that the Brawl box comes in, because if the plastic wrap was dirty then it wouldn't matter if my hands were clean, because I'd touch the plastic wrap and my hands would get dirty again and then I'd touch the beautiful white Brawl box, and that would mess it up because it's white like that--which is not to say that I don't also do these things for DS cases and PSP cases even though they're not white, because I do, because I don't even want to mess up the clear plastic in which the inserts go.

Anyway, around 40 minutes to go until the update!

Post 60000 – RoboPlato hits 60,000!
RoboPlato said:
Good to see Marth on the Dojo, since he is finally in some good screenshots.

EDIT: 60K BITCHES!!!

Jiggy

Jiggy6.png

Section of Posts: #60,001 to the end

Post 60013, Post 60018, and Post 60023 – Danthrax makes the standard joke about being over a certain number and Crushed has a meltdown over it. LinkAMN summarizes Crushed’s post with a picture. Not directly quoted for reasons of profanity and loads of it, but hilarious nonetheless.

Post 60060 – The grand chronicles of the dozens of people who thought Marth was surely, surely gone.

Post 60083 – HK-47 proves that Marth is a girly boy.
HK-47 said:
I forget what it called, but he actually is wearing a piece of his sisters clothing. She gets taken hostage, so he wears it to remind himself what he's fighting for.

Page 1203 – The Dojo pwns the Smash Bros. spoiler thread (so said sp0rsk’s thread title) by revealing info nobody who played the game had figured out: how to switch to Zero Suit Samus mid-match without a final smash!

Page 1211 – Discussions of whether we’d buy a Smash Bros. Brawl special edition in 2009 with a few minor additions. Also, doomed1’s quest to decide on a Captain Ayu avatar. (Note: Ayu is from Kanon, which is either the best or second best anime ever. Everybody should buy it.) Random samples:
Jiggy37 said:
The recording won't be as restrictive in Super Smash Bros. Brawl Special Edition, coming November 2009, now with new alternate costumes, trophies, music, saved screenshots viewable on a computer, and ten-minute replay recording, believe believe believe.
doomed1 said:
you know what, either once captain falcon is announced or the first of march, i'm going to switch my avi to one of my captain falcon ones. which do you think i should use?

CaptainayustanceA.gif
or
CaptainayustanceB.gif

hint: note the hair.

Page 1213 – Green Hill Zone is revealed and we all discuss how Silver doesn’t deserve to be near Tails and Knuckles, and also how Simon Jeffery sucks because he works at Sega and still has the nerve to hate on Sonic. Just a sample:
Jiggy37 said:
That one where Simon Jeffrey (I think it was) said something to the effect that Sonic stops being cool when people become teenagers?

Edit: Here you go. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7409628&postcount=1

Post 60902 – After however many months of trying, Jiggy both nails a prediction and the reasoning behind it, as opposed to only the former.
Jiggy37 said:
The past three weeks have had a character each, on a Thursday or Friday. I predict that tonight will break the trend and give us our character on Wednesday. Now, which character will it be?

Hmm. Gotta figure out the relationship between Ness, Marth, and Luigi. Ness is from Mother, which had Lucas already. Marth is from Fire Emblem, which had Ike already. Luigi is from Mario, which had Mario, Bowser, and Peach.

Ah, I see. The relationship is clearly that we're getting heroes from certain series which already had one and only one male hero revealed. I predict Falco. Or Kr--no, no, let's not even dare go there. She better be an assist trophy only.

Post 60986 and Post 61000 – JasoNsider pinpoints why not having a street release date (though Brawl did) always sucks.Post 61065 – Random Brawl fanart starring Kirby, Peach, Pikachu, and—for some reason—Meta Knight. Peach would be so much cuter if she’d lose the shoes. ;_;
Extollere said:
random but found a sweet artist pic for Brawl:

http://8kd.moo.jp/2008/grp0224010817.jpg

Post 61172 – Importer extraordinaire MrCheez describes the glories of Subspace Emissary to us the unwashed who hadn’t played it. Long and detailed post, which means it was great to read at the time but wouldn't be so much now.

Page 1226 – Almost everybody hates on Zero Suit Samus’ design for one reason or another. You can also go back a page for some more in that regard.

Post 61328 – Tank McCannon is not a poster on NeoGAF, but he wrote an excellent summary of King Dedede’s awesomeness on Smashboards and gets reposted here, for great justice and all that. Very, very long post, but an exceptional read. Go to it. Now. [Jiggy note: We would also later learn that Sakurai voiced King Dedede, making him even more awesome.]

Page 1228 and on through Page 1229 – Being less than ten days away from Brawl doesn’t stop the thread from having another argument about items and banned stages. But this time is different!
No, really, it actually is different. This time it takes a turn towards the ethics of sportsmanship in video games. Also, Jiggy sums up an argument in haiku.
Jiggy37 said:
If players say ban
but game mechanics allow
the game should win out

Exploits? Not for me,
nor yet begrudging others
who accept them all

Arbitrary rules
are defensible because
consistency wins

Page 1231 – Debates about the canon of how Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., baby Donkey Kong (Yoshi’s Island DS), Cranky Kong, and Diddy Kong are related.

Post 61665 and Post 61670 and Post 61735 – In-game picture and fanart of Pikaman. Yes, Pikaman. Just look. You'll have to click on that second link, though, as the picture there is nearly one megabyte.
WiiRevolution1 said:
:lol :lol

Wheres my pikaman Update??

pikaavy.jpg
woxel1 said:

Post 61934 and Post 61957 – Relix quotes Sakurai’s latest masterpiece of writing, as he describes his impressions of the Flat Zone 2 music. Sciz says what we’re all thinking.
Fenix said:
"It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue.

...Well, those are just my idle thoughts."

Oh my.
Sciz said:
Just popping in to say that if Sakurai's idle thoughts are always like that, he's got to have the best running commentary on everyday life going through his head of anyone on Earth.

Post 61991 and Post 62073 – Because nobody’s ever satisfied with anything, Jiggy provides a list of alternate costumes that would have been cool, and then Jiggy and MrCheez ramble about Stage Builder.
Jiggy37 said:
Ballad of the Wind Fish is definitely a sad case of an almost-in piece of music. :(
Oh well. Gives me something to hope for in Super Smash Bros. Battle Royale Brawl Deluxe Edition in September 2010, along with all the cool alternate oufits:

Mario - Dr. Mario, Sunshine sleeves, Shadow Mario
Link - Farmhand, Ocarina clothes
Pikachu - Female tail, party hat
Samus - The real Fusion Suit, default Power Suit (i.e. no Varia Suit huge shoulders)
Zelda - A Link to the Past dress, Marin, Zelda 1 dress, Malon, Oracle Nayru
Bowser - Mario Strikers armor
Yoshi - Boshi
Peach - Rosalina, Sunshine outfit, Tennis or Golf outfit, Mario Strikers uniform, Shadow Queen, real Daisy
Luigi - Mr. L, Cosmic Luigi
Zero Suit Samus - Chozo training clothes, Fusion ending clothes, Zero Mission ending clothes, Justin Bailey outfit, green hair and brown hair swaps for any of the above
Pokemon Trainer (trainer) - Leaf Green girl, Pearl girl, Team Aqua/Galactic/Magma/Rocket Grunt
Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon) - Black and white (homage to the original games)
Sheik - Ocarina outfit
Ness - Ninten
Captain Falcon - Berserker
Edit now that he's been revealed: Ganondorf - Ocarina outfit, Wind Waker design
Edit now that she's been revealed: Jigglypuff - Ninja headband, hair bow

Also, and credit to A Link to the Snitch on these (because I don't even agree with all of them): Paper Mario, black and white Mario, Magic Armor Link, shiny Pikachu, Dark Samus, skeleton Bowser, SMB1 dress Peach, rival Pokemon Trainer, and black and white Pokemon Trainer.
MrCheez said:
I've said it before but I'll say it again... I would have done some of the 3d modeling for extra character costumes and so on for free! :lol Sakurai should have called me up and let me intern.
Jiggy37 said:
Oh, another issue. There are loads of great stages found only in Subspace Emissary that I'd love to use in multiplayer, except they're not there. Or even just the awesome backgrounds--why can't I use those in Stage Builder, when they've already been created?
YES! This especially. It seems like some of those assets were already put into a quick 'level building' format for the target test, too! I want to make custom stages out of those :(

I adore the stage builder feature and never dreamed the game would have it... but that said it has sooo much untapped potential. Three backdrops is way too low!

And I STILL dont understand why I can't build objects directly next to eachother! Everything takes up extra grid space when you place it... even the pieces that look like they’re suppose to make tunnels can't be placed directly next to eachother! Argh!

Post 62164, Post 62180, Post 62189, and Post 62197 – RocketDarkness draws comparisons between Disney’s Aladdin and Jigglypuff with Ganondorf, contributing to Jiggy’s insanity.
RocketDarkness said:
Honestly, to me, it looks like something out of a Disney movie. More specifically, Aladdin. Jiggly, taking Ganondorf by the hand, is flying him through the starry skies. Romance ensues.

hidden10_080325d-l.jpg

I can show you the wooooorld~
RocketDarkness said:
Jiggy37 said:
This will never leave my mind now.
Glad to have helped contribute to your insanity.
Jiggy37 said:
Jiggy37 said:
Tell me, King of Evil, now when did you last let your heart decide?
~I can show you the world
Living, wondrous, splendid
Tell me, King of Evil, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes,
Show you pathways to freedom
Visiting Hyrule to greet ‘em
Without committing genocide

A whole new world,
That you won’t rule, that you won’t own
We’ll live in this peaceful town
No Master Sword around
To put an end to your scheming

A whole new world
A kind of life I never had
But way up here with you
It’s clear I never knew
How long I’d truly been dreaming~

What have you done, RocketDarkness? What have you done? D:

Post 62345 – MrCheez outperforms Jiggy at stats. :O
MrCheez said:
Jiggy37 said:
Music gets its 26th update, and Thursday is now only tied with Monday for last place at three music updates each. Woo yeah, stats. >_>
What! Jiggy, this is unacceptable! Maybe you're tired? You have been working really hard... Here, let me lend you a hand:

~~** Music gets its 26th update... it's been 19 whole updates without music until this point! Can you believe it? Woweee~! ^_^ I love music updates because the header is so delightfully purple because this game has such an amazing soundtrack! <3 <3 <3

~~**~~** Thursday-kun is now only tied with Monday-sama for last place at three music updates each. Keep trying Thursy, you can do it!!!! ^_^;;

~~**~~**~~** This update also has over twelve sentences! I think Sakurai might be going a little overboard, how about you??? Sakurai-sama can never go overboard, silly! I dunno... look how many tracks are in this game! It's crazy! Hai hai, but what about the Ballad of the Windfish song he cut out?! Huh, huh HUHUHUHUH?? You can't expect to have everything. -_-;

Post 62356 – And just when things can’t get any more amazing, Nate from Treehouse—yes, that Nate!—shows up to post in the thread intended to represent that Dojo which for many months he—yes, he—worked on translating. :O
nutron said:
Hey there. This is Nate from the Treehouse at NOA. You may remember me from such classics as That One Demo In San Francisco and The Screenshot That Angered Smashboards.

Anyway, it’s general policy that we don’t post on message boards, but with the end drawing near for the Dojo, I got some special dispensation. I was going to post this several places, but since all roads lead to GAF anyway—and since this thread is of such legendary size—I decided this might as well be the only spot.

Anyway, as some of you know, we’ve been working on Brawl with Sakurai-san and his team for several years now, and the Dojo itself for almost a year. Needless to say it’s been a ton of work, though nothing compared to what Sora pulled off, obviously. That said, it’s been a labor of love, and its coming end seems sort of sad. I can’t tell you how many nights I stayed up until Japan Time, knowing what morsel of delectable information was about to be served up and relishing every bit of anticipation from you guys. It really made all the work worthwhile, and I wanted to thank you die-hards that have been around for it all.

I also figured this would be a good spot to ask a favor. Now, I don’t know how many of you guys download daily stages and snapshots from the Smash Service, but for those that do… Look, sorting through 10,000 submissions every week is fun and all, but it breaks my heart to have to ditch some amazing stage because it had an extra-raunchy title. There’s some incredible creativity on display that I’d love to share with the rest of the Smash community, but a little restraint in the naming conventions will go a long way. Yes, we all know it’s hilarious when Diddy Kong goes to town on somebody’s face—I feel that the snapshot medium is also ready for some fresh ideas. Spread the word if you can.

So… Yeah. Have fun with the last seven or so updates. And when the gray day of reckoning comes and Sporsk approaches, pillow in hand, to gently smother this thread at last, do not weep! Smile, because Smash endures, and it is good.

Thanks again, guys.

Post 62473 and Post 62474 – GAF’s Brawl IRC room votes to confirm that Jiggy is a girl.
crowphoenix said:
Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I think I quoted her* the most in each of my sections too for the same reason. I'll have to count, though. >_>

*The GAF Smash IRC community took a vote tonight and decided Jiggy had to be a girl
Let us never speak of that again. I still feel like an unclean jerk, ma'am.

Post 62491 – Firestorm reposts a series of poems made entirely out of quotes from the Dojo. Way too long to quote here, but click it. Srsly.

Post 62606 – The update for Thursday, April 10th, 2008, would be the Dojo’s final late update. Three hours late, in fact! MrCheez recalls his times spent refreshing.
MrCheez said:
I remember that sometimes I would look forward to the Dojo update all night, so that when it was close to midnight I would want to cherish the moment and not waste it. So I'd load up the dojo and before looking at the update I'd make the window half it's usual size and pull it to the bottom of the screen... then I'd SLOOOOOWLY scroll down until I could only see the very top of the new update banner and try to guess what it was before actually seeing the entire thing. (First thing I would usually notice is the color of the update (denoting it's type) and the top of a franchise icon.)

99% of the time at this point I'd be too excited and say "fuck it" and just instantly scroll down to see the entire thing.Yeah so... there was something wrong with me, back in the pre-Brawl release days :lol (not to mention the nights where I'd load up every single language page of the dojo in different tabs, and switch between all of them quickly F5ing to see which would update first! But at least with that I know I'm not the only person to do it :lol )

Post 62627 – How large would the thread be if it were a book?
Jiggy37 said:
MrCheez said:
If this thread was a book... just think how large it would be. *mindblown*
Assuming that the 62,613 posts as of this writing averaged to ten words each, we'd have 626,130 words. As someone with a degree in creative writing, I generally manage to get around 8,500 words into 25 double-spaced pages, or 12.5 single-spaced pages, using Word with one-inch margins all around. There are ~73.66 units of 8,500 words to be found in 626,130 words. So, multiplying it out, the book would be roughly 920.78 single-spaced pages--in Word. Most paperback books won't fit nearly as many words on a single page as Word will; the double-spaced comparison is probably closer to being fully appropriate. So basically we might estimate that it would be about 1841.56 pages.

Again, all founded on the assumption that the posts averaged ten words in length. >_> I'm inclined to think that's a low estimate, but maybe that's because my own posts are fairly wordy. <_<

Post 62666 – Note the number of the post as you read it.
Jiggy37 said:
It's 1:26 AM Pacific. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is in my Wii, just a certain number of feet away. I could be playing it, or I could be going to sleep. But right now I am waiting for the Smash Bros. Dojo to update and tell me information about this game that I own. This is madness. This is SUMABURA.

Post 62728, Post 62729, Post 62730, Post 62731, and Post 62743 – Milabrega, Jiggy, crowphoenix, and MrCheez want AbyssWolf’s 2D sprites in a Smash game, and MrCheez’s 3D models at Nintendo.
Milabrega said:
Jiggy37 said:
I still believe in the Mondayton. :( Super Smash Bros. DS developed by HAL with 2D sprites, go go go!
With AbyssWolf's Sprites.
Jiggy37 said:
And then MrCheez can do work on 3D trophy modeling. :eek:
crowphoenix said:
I third the notion of a 2d DS game with Abyss Wolf's sprites. Those things are so awesome.
Jiggy37 said:
The great thing is that now we know Nintendo of America is actually reading this. Come on, guys. Talk to your superiors, who will talk to their superiors, who will get to Reggie, who can maybe get to Nintendo of Japan. Shill for AbyssWolf's skill, and maybe
definitely not
we can get something happening. D:
MrCheez said:
Oh man, yes!!NOA if you're still reading this, I will model for peanuts!!! http://www.chrisgrahamart.com @_@

(It would be a dream to work for Nintendo... someday I will do it, someday!)

Page 1256 (and onward) – The Dojo’s final daily Friday update provides a huge mass of the best hand-selected screenshots sent to Nintendo by gamers. The thread picks out its favorites.

Page 1258 – At the top, Man God suggests we go for one last round of Star Fox 64 quotes. Everybody obliges, because Star Fox 64 is, of course, excellent.

Page 1261 – The last of the daily updates arrives. ;_; Witness tearful farewells begin. To be honest, everything from this point on is worth reading, very much so. Nonetheless, here are just a couple more choice quotes before I bid adieu:

Post 63095 – AniHawk pulls Carl Sagan on us.

Post 63130 – CreatureX3 recaps personal favorite moments and screenshots. I don’t mean to quote the whole thing, but one part stands out:
CreatureX3 said:
There were so many great moments in this thread. Way too many to list.
And to be honest, he’s right. Not even all of us together could manage. :D

Post 63156 – SuperAngelo64 bids farewell to GAF as a whole. Of all prominent posters in the Dojo thread, the greatest percentage of his posts on GAF (period) were in here, ending with over 84%.

Post 63158 – MrCheez says his goodbyes.

Since I won't be the first the break Jiggy's streak now, I'd just like to thank all of you for putting this thread into my life for the past few years. Although I didn't post much, I checked the Dojo and this thread almost religiously, and they were good times. It's with genuine sadness that I watch it go.

Looking forward to the next Dojo update about Smash Bros. 4! :D

crowphoenix said:
I lied. I had to watch this go up. :lol That and I'm an egomaniac I was interested in seeing if I got quoted.
Me too, actually. I just a little disappointed that no one found my pic of Sonic and his Olympics life-vest posted in an attempt to argue Sonic inability to swim quoteworthy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shame all my best posts were in the Spoiler thread. I came a little to lttp on the official thread cause someone wouldnt activate my account...

>_>

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 and crowphoenix said:
Iam Canadian says that his top five will be: Ness, Kirby, Meta-knight, Lucas and Sonic. Does this still stand? [Jiggy note: replace Kirby and Sonic with R.O.B. and Wolf, neither of which were known at the time, and that’s about all I ever face when playing against him.]

Replace Meta Knight with Zelda while you're at it, since I've basically decided that Meta Knight doesn't really fit my play-style.

Jiggy

“I don’t think I can take any large-scale work for a while, so I doubt I’ll suddenly become director on some grandiose project.” -Sakurai

The year: 2003. The publication: Nintendo Dream. The scenario: Masahiro Sakurai has recently left HAL Laboratories.

But he did indeed become director on a grandiose project, and it was indeed sudden. To see more on this, you can read an interview on how Smash came to be—which is a fascinating read in its own right. For now, though, let me stick to that Nintendo Dream article, which hosted insights into Sakurai’s thoughts on gaming as a whole.
The game industry is in big trouble, don't you think? Not a lot of people can survive off game sales these days, and the possibilities that games have to offer are growing smaller and smaller, I think. If games were able to receive a certain amount of support--if people had fun with them, if they sold well--then we should be seeing more innovative, more positive games come out one after the other. But that's not the future I'm seeing right now. The risks are so big that misfiring with one title can flatten an entire company.

That's why you see places trying to stay alive by putting out tons of budget titles and re-releases. Every game company, no matter who they are, is desperate right now. So one possibility is that people will say 'I can't live off this anymore' and leave the game industry in droves. […]
"If I want to keep producing games as a business, then staying at HAL would be a more stable place to do that. […]

But I don't care about that sort of stability. Right now I'm far more concerned about the fact that the game industry, which is built from the balance between developers, publishers, and users, is beginning to fall apart at the seams. I think it's possible for me, as a developer, to have people think about this problem through the development work I do. If I stay in one spot, then I can only communicate this to a limited number of people around the company, but if I can go out and reach more people… I think there are lots of people with far greater abilities than myself out there in the world. I mean, I'm entirely focused on games and I really can't do all that much myself, but if I can get in touch with people that have other great talents, then I think that will set off a chemical reaction and in the end we'll have a chance to make new games and better things. People with these talents might be at a loss at what games to make, and perhaps I can help make up for that in exchange for lending me their talent.
Seeing how and why Sakurai left HAL, meaning to reach a broad range of people through his development work, one might think he had to go back on his intentions in order to come back for Super Smash Bros. Brawl--for the large-scale, grandiose project that he didn’t believe he could take. He was wrong about his future in at least that much, and so it’s possible that he could have been wrong, as well, about being able to communicate some problems with the industry. But I believe it may be that he achieved his goal in an unexpected, perhaps even unintentional manner: not through Brawl itself, per se, but through the Dojo. Looking further into the interview for a moment, he had the following to say:

If one game sells 40,000 copies and another one sells 20,000 copies, then one sold twice as much as another, right? But if you work for a company, this isn't reflected much in your salary. No matter if your game sells or not, you'll get money deposited in the bank every month on the month, so sometimes you see cases where developers get indifferent towards money and lose the feeling that they're really earning what they make. On the other hand, gamers take money out of their wallets and use it to buy your game. This difference is making gamers and developers drift farther and farther away from each other.

I talked with different people from around the industry about this, and it always seemed like the people who understood what gamers want the most are the guys in sales or the guys working in the stores. But isn't that messed up? It's completely messed up that the people actually making the games are the farthest away from what gamers want. I want to do something about that. I'm not saying I want to change the game industry or anything huge like that, but I just want to do something.
At least one thing can be seen openly: that among Sakurai’s greatest concerns is the question of whether developers understand gamers. And whether it was Melee in 2001 or Brawl in 2008—respectively, long before and long after leaving HAL—he’s taken steps with his own projects to avoid that pitfall of ignoring gamers’ wishes. Many characters and franchises who made it into the Smash Bros. series only did so by fan request; from the beginning, he had held polls and asked for input from the gamer population. With Brawl specifically, the same is true of its song selection, which would end up totaling 287. In some instances, Sakurai would even go on to seek fan opinion after the fact: one notable example was a poll about which newcomer revealed in the E3 2006 trailer was most appreciated.

But understanding is a street, not a river: it travels in two directions. Can most gamers sympathize with developers? Although the answer is still—admittedly—probably not, I believe that the Dojo may have advanced this understanding and sympathy further than nearly any selection of fifty interviews before it could.

Often gamers are inclined to criticize a game for missing this feature or that feature, but when I consider the reactions offered time and again to the Dojo’s updates, this was virtually never the case. Instead the opposite held true: many people would say “What else can they possibly add to Super Smash Bros. Brawl?” and mean that in sincerity.

And many of those people would not be saying so only once.

It may not be difficult to understand why, for this one game, people developed an extra level of sympathy for the designers. Through these daily updates, these perpetual daily updates, those of us not in the game development field perhaps felt a very little bit of what it was like. One could read about Standard Combos in under thirty seconds, or with a bit more time one could read about the Stage Builder. But whether major or minor, every last facet of the game could only be created with the passion and hard work of multiple programmers, or graphics artists, or composers, or even the people who located the art to be used for stickers and trophies. And for that reason every last facet of the game well deserved its own spotlight. If we as gamers could see, in the most literal of ways, that even handicaps and color changes, that even the physics of a crate commanded as much development attention as any other part of the game—if we could see that no part of Brawl could be done without care—then the Dojo was not created in vain. You might consider each Dojo update a small testimony to some of the many people who helped create this Smash Bros. game: a way of saying “They were here; they did their jobs; and they did them as best they could.” In dedication to this game, we in the thread stayed up long nights, and every night; but also in dedication to this game, the developers in their office worked longer days, and every day. Never forget.

Allow me to speak about Brawl itself for a moment—for, although it might have seemed otherwise at times, the Smash Bros. Dojo wasn’t created solely with the intention that we’d all sit about with endlessly dropped jaws, gaping in awe at a level of content which Sakurai himself considers to be “overboard”; it was created, as well, to promote a game.

And more than that, really. It’s easy to say that Smash Bros. is a love letter to all of gaming and call that a joke, but it’s easier still to say that Smash Bros. is a love letter to gaming and call that the truth. Toward the end of the article about how Brawl came to be, Sakurai said that “more than anything, this Smash Bros. will be a game that we make while paying thanks to all the people who made so many different games and to all the fans who have supported them. And we must pay respect to the original games while doing so.” This he has achieved, and more than this: for here is a single disc in which the full history of the industry is uplifted.

To be clear: when I speak about the “history of the industry,” I’m not referring to characters nor even franchises. (And I couldn’t possibly be referring to that, because not every game character nor every game franchise is represented in Brawl.) After all, characters and franchises on their own have never been the driving force of the industry; rather, it was our experiences with those characters and franchises, or in other words the gameplay, that brought each of us back and made us believers. And in Smash Bros., gameplay is celebrated.

Do I need to elaborate on how and why this is true? Likely not. But nonetheless I choose to explain further, because I must—because Sakurai and because the whole of the Smash Bros. development team chose to push themselves further every day they worked on this game, and deserve no less.

Suppose a person is seeking to experience the full range of the game. She would have to play competitive multiplayer, but also cooperative multiplayer; she would play single-player as well. Smash Bros. Brawl itself is a modern game, but in Masterpieces she would play the past of gaming. She would play an action game in Subspace Emissary, a fighting game in the multiplayer, an arcade game in the Coin Launcher and, to an extent, in the credits. She would arrange her Stickers and optimize her characters’ stats. She would play time-based and score-based minigames: Target Smash, Home-Run Contest, the Multi-Man Brawls, and Boss Battles. She would play multiplayer with two players, with three, with four; she would play under the standard rules of Time and Stock, and the non-standard of Coin. She would play under each permutation of Special Brawl. She would tweak her settings of items and damage ratio. All of this is very goal-oriented, but she would also play a more free-form version of gaming: watching matches in Spectator and placing bets, or taking snapshots of her stickers and trophies, or setting up amusing snapshots in matches.

Here we have competitive multiplayer; there we have co-operative multiplayer; here we have single-player; here we have new; there we have retro; here we have minigames; and each of these elements were highlighted extensively on the Dojo, treated as equals in deserving attention, nothing to be overlooked. Because of this, Sakurai’s profound admiration of and respect for the industry he loves became ever clearer as we saw these features take shape through the daily log that he started. To kindle and revitalize the creative developer spirit behind all forms of gameplay philosophy, and to honor the spirit of each, a game alone may not have sufficed—not even Brawl. Any feature can be easily overlooked after it’s been experienced. Someone needed to break gaming down piece by piece, in demonstration, saying in essence, “Here’s an idea worth exploring, and here’s another, and a third, and a fourth, and all of them are as vital today as they ever have been or ever will be. Overlook nothing.”

And so if we can fairly assume, from reading his own interviews, that Sakurai always wanted to promote gaming in its fullest, in every form, communicating with the broadest of audiences, and if we consider that at its peak the Dojo had over seven million visitors in a single week, only one thing remains to be said:

Mission complete, Cherry-don. Congratulations—and thank you, for everything.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Okay so I'm still here too... I really have stuff I need to get done today but I just had to hang around for a little while longer to get a quick preview of Jiggy's masterpiece. :) Now I really need to go (and save the thorough reading for tonight)

I really want to encourage everyone to spend some time reading through Jiggy's final closing posts. I've skimmed through a few already and there are SO MANY amazing memories in there. (Also some very accurate (as well as some not-so-accurate) predictions! :lol )

I'd like to really restate one very important thing about this thread:

Many of us came to this thread simply due to our fandom and anticipation for a little game called Super Smash Bros Brawl... but in the end, the community that formed was what made the experience truly memorable and special!

I haven't really posted in this thread at all recently, but I used to occassionally comment on the updates or say what I was hoping to see in the game, and I lurked a lot. So, I just thought I should say goodbye to this legendary, epic thread. It's sad to see you go, Smash Bros. Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread. Goodbye. ;_;

Meloche

Heh, that was awesome Jiggy, very well done. I missed out on participating in the majority of the thread, but still had a great time reading through it and getting reactions on the updates. The unexpected / stealth megatons and novembore, the photoshops, and all the great screen captions. Brilliant stuff.

I guess with the Dojo over, it's back to complaining about the lack of VC releases!

04/14/08 -- the day the dojo died. never forget. :0)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
MrCheez said:
Many of us came to this thread simply due to our fandom and anticipation for a little game called Super Smash Bros Brawl... but in the end, the community that formed was what made the experience truly memorable and special!

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

JSnake

I've hardly posted in this thread before but even I feel the need to say goodbye. That's a real testament to the legacy of this thread, when an outsider feels so attached that even they need to say farewell. It may sound weird/cliche/what have you, but this thread felt like a real family. It was unlike every other thread on GAF in that we were all alike. We were all looking forward to the same game and not one of us was left un-fazed from Sonic's or Olimar's announcements. Feelings were so unanimous in this thread and that's what brought us all together.

So even though I've only posted like three times in this thread, I just wanted to say I love you guys. GROUP HUUUUUUUUG!

Pringo

Banned
I thought I'd pop on in and give a final goodbye to this thread. I know I wasn't coming in here that much at all after the game released, but before that I was checking this thread daily. For quite a while I was actually reading the whole thing until post counts started ramping up and I just couldn't keep up any more. I had a lot of fun here even if I didn't post all that much, and it was cool to see this thread morph into its own little community within GAF.

And dare I say it, I think I had just about as much fun with this thread and the updates as I have had with the actual game. It was fun guys, and hopefully something like the updates happens again sometime in the future. Here's to Brawl and Sakurai, thanks for the great time.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Since most of Jiggy's closing posts didn't end up on the last page, and in the interest of organization:

NeoGAF's Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread -- Statistics, Quote Hunt, and Closing Words

Final Smash Bros. Dojo statistical breakdown http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641693&postcount=63169
The Great Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt: Preamble http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641872&postcount=63171
Section of Posts: #1 to 2,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641937&postcount=63172
Section of Posts: #1 to 2,500 (continued) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641956&postcount=63173
Section of Posts: #2,501 to 5,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641972&postcount=63175
Section of Posts: #5,001 to 7,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10641993&postcount=63176
Section of Posts: #7,501 to 10,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642022&postcount=63177
Section of Posts: #12,501 to 15,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642051&postcount=63178
Section of Posts: #15,001 to 17,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642111&postcount=63179
Section of Posts: #17,501 to 20,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642132&postcount=63180
Section of Posts: #20,001 to 22,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642173&postcount=63181
Section of Posts: #22,501 to 25,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642203&postcount=63182
Section of Posts: #25,001 to 27,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642225&postcount=63183
Section of Posts: #27,501 to 30,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642258&postcount=63184
Section of Posts: #27,501 to 30,000 (continued) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642278&postcount=63185
Section of Posts: #30,001 to 32,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642311&postcount=63186
Section of Posts: #35,001 to 37,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642343&postcount=63187
Section of Posts: #37,501 to 40,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642370&postcount=63188
Section of Posts: #42,501 to 45,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642393&postcount=63190
Section of Posts: #45,001 to 47,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642402&postcount=63191
Section of Posts: #47,501 to 50,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642449&postcount=63192
Section of Posts: #50,001 to 52,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642470&postcount=63193
Section of Posts: #52,501 to 55,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642490&postcount=63194
Section of Posts: #55,001 to 57,500 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642543&postcount=63195
Section of Posts: #57,501 to 60,000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642571&postcount=63196
Section of Posts: #60,001 to the end http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642614&postcount=63199
Jiggy37's Closing Words on the Game, the Site, and the Creator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10642696&postcount=63205

Amazing work everyone! I <3 you guys

I plan on reading everyone's sections tonight with dinner. And then hope on the IRC for some brawling. I hope to see a lot of you on tonight.

Jigs, bravo. We put this task in good hands. I'm gonna miss this old thread.

I wish I could have been up and posting sooner. Nevertheless, I think I've read this entire thread throughout the past year, so I'll still miss it greatly. And hopefully I'll get to know all you awesome posters more throughout my time on GAF. I'll miss the Dojo. I'll miss this thread.

PS: You have no idea how close I was to not posting the Aladdin comparison of Ganondorf + Jiggy. In hindsight, I'm very glad I did.

Wow, it's crazy to think about how long ago this thread started and how much has happened since then. What a truly epic thread for an epic game. Goodbye Dojo Updates but I'm sure Super Smash Bros. Brawl will continue to surprise and enthrall gamers for years.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Firestorm said:
I thought we were gonna leave it with Jiggy's post! Goodbyes and all that.
Everyone wants their shot at the last post.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Neener, I beat KevinCow by 3 posts. Take that monkeylover!

Amazing work there Jiggy and Co., that ought to make things a lot easier for people to reference when this topic gets locked down and archived.

scottnak

Damn. One last post, that was an amazing final post Jiggy.
And thanks for compiling all that to look back on... *sniff* Twas a great year...

This was an amazing thread, it's sad to see it and the Dojo updates go. Hopefully regular Sakurai-isms will still continue to be seen on other threads, though contextually they may not make sense.

Sciz

Farewell, Dojo. To the thread regulars, our paths will cross on GAF more often than not. Certainly whenever news of Sakurai's next game hits. See you around.

Now someone tell me why Jiggy doesn't have a tag yet.

Jiggy

Maybe that post could be moved to the end or something? (I don't actually know what mods are capable of on vBulletin.) It would break the links MrCheez and I had, though, but oh well. <_< Whatever the case, I realize not everyone has had their chance to say goodbye yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom