• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Now I remember why I don't visit SmashBoards: the endless, endless elitism.

They're making Brawl so easy now...it's kind of depressing. Retarded noobs are going to be able to perform the same maneuvers as pros with only a bit of practicing. They seem to be making everything automatic just so some child can feel good about being able to “l-cancel” (lolz, look @me! i jump attack and lcancelll w/o trying lolz) and auto-tether.

This game seems to be made of more and more suck every time I visit this forum. It'll still be good and I'll still get it, but I'm going to miss the complexity and metagame of Melee which Brawl seems to have none of.

MisterHero

Dr.Hadji said:
something about Kirbys and taunts

Reading that makes me want Dan for Brawl even more. Every one of his moves could be a taunt! Think of the possibilities!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ death of wavedashing

fuck wavedashing
Do_A_Barrel_Roll.gif

Jiggy

Wavedashing itself wasn't exactly a broken mechanic anyway. I just hope this means that unbreakable chain grabs will be far, far harder to do than before (if possible in the first place).

Jiggy

Also, the Smashboards fear about the complexity of the game being toned down is unwarranted.

Despite the fact that Sakurai claimed they're trying to make the game easier and reduce the importance of the small details in combat, that's just a claim of their intent--there's nothing to say it's been achieved.
As far as I know (but feel free to correct me on any of this), we have very, very little idea what SSBB will play like. No idea how much gliding and footstool jumping will factor in, for example, or whether the invincibility frames for dodging and rolling have changed at all, or whether the general strength of throws has been increased to more of an N64 SBB level, or whether directional influence can still play as much of a role as before, or whether there will be any more wavedashing-like mechanics put in (whether by accident or intentionally). After all, it's not as if people discovered the wavedash and incorporated heavy usage of it into their SSBM play four months before the game even came out.
We also don't know whether damage is still reduced if the same attack is used repeatedly--and even if we knew that it was, we wouldn't know that it's still reduced at the same rate. Don't know how much damage on average is needed before a person can be knocked out of the arena. Don't know how crouch-canceling works out. Maybe tilt attacks now always outprioritize normal attacks, and maybe smash attacks always outprioritize tilt attacks. Wasn't the case before, but now who knows? There's that heavyweight factor talked about in that Ike update saying one of his moves couldn't be interrupted--how will that function and how will it change things? Then there's the extra emphasis on aerial freedom.

Crying now about how the SSBB metagame will work out seems to me to be emotional and baseless.

MisterHero said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ death of wavedashing

fuck wavedashing

Posts like that are just as ridiculous as what Iam Canadian quoted above.
Also, the Smashboards fear about the complexity of the game being toned down is unwarranted.

I agree with this though, we have yet to play the game and I expect it to have its own set of advanced techniques.

MisterHero

Holy Order Sol said:
Posts like that are just as ridiculous as what Iam Canadian quoted above.
Hold it sir.

Where I and SmashBoards are seperated is that I don't take every detail seriously. I think it's dumb to make such a big deal over a physics exploit and I think it's dumb that they can regard fellow players as scrubs, noobs, and whatnot. AND THEN speculate and complain about the 'metagame' being "ruined in pursuit of casual players".

I find their 'metagame' bogus anyways, who cares where it goes. It's either a good game or not. For having and making fun. I apologize if my attempt at humor was badly executed.

Jiggy

Found a good point on page 3:

Zauron on Smashboards said:
2) Wi-Fi. If you know much about network latency coding in action games, things would be easier without L-Cancelling and complete control over dodge direction. Basically, the less control the player has to change a predictable motion suddenly, the harder it is to deal with latency. By air-dodging continuing your current momentum, prediction algorithms work better. By having a landed air attack have the same lag recovery time regardless of whether or not you pushed L, the algorithms work better. The less variation possible once the player has started a move, the easier it is to make it work smoothly over the network.
Actually, I wish we had more people who could talk about the technical aspects of online gameplay and the implications of such. As opposed to game journalists who just kind of say in blanket fashion that all multiplayer games need to go online, as if this was currently achievable in some kind of lossless manner.

Edit: I should probably qualify this by saying I know pretty much nothing about the technical feasibility of this stuff either. >_> And that's exactly why I wish it was discussed more often.

Basically, the idea is that in order to overcome latency issues, the game "predicts" what your opponent is going to do. Uh, let's see, have you ever played Mario Kart DS or any other console racer online? You ever notice how people will take sharp turns off cliffs and then inexplicably appear right beside you?

The game made an assumption of where the player would go and was wrong, turning them back the right way the next second. This is...less than useful in fighting games because there are a ton of variables that need pixel and nano-second perfect programming.

Near as I can tell, though, the quote you posted is jargon married to nonsense.

Iam Canadian said:
I just find it funny that when one aspect of their metagame is removed, they immediately go to full-fledged panic mode.

It's always like that... I remembered when people went hands on with that Soul Calibur 3 demo and confirmed that G2 was gone, the reactions were the same.
No one is seriously considering sticking with Melee and they'll obviously move on to Brawl when it hits and they'll deal with it.

I'm a bit annoyed by this, not because I think that they're ruining Brawl, but because in a way, I wonder if I should keep playing Melee...

Jiggy37 : didn't the developers of Mario Kart DS mention something that had to do with this ? I remember reading something similar about that game too.

EDIT : nevermind, ShockingAlberto posted what I was talking about.

Scribble

Just read the whole thread on Smashboards.

P-p-people can be THAT openly elitist? I mean, at least be a bit more subtle about it :lol

Iam Canadian

I have no problem with Wavedashing or those who use it. I just take issue with those who use such techniques and put themselves on a pedestal above other players.

Elfforkusu said:
Halleluja, the glitch masquerading as a technique is dead!

*sigh*

Whether it'a glitch or a technique that was intended by the developers is irrelevant.

Iam Canadian : I despise that kind of elitism as much as you do, but my point was that those reactions to this news were to be expected, and not necessarily related to said elitism.

Jiggy

Still working through the thread, on page 12 now. I like how some people are convinced Luigi will suck without wavedashing, as if he didn't have some really good aerial moves anyway. His up B does lose a good amount of its utility, but it could still serve as a good punishing move...

Iam Canadian

I actually kind of agree with this guy:

I don't see how this game is going to be 'kiddy' because Mr. Sakurai is stressing ease of use this time around. Do all up-B's aim for the ledge? I thought it was only the Tether Recoveries. Either way, how's that going to make this game too n00b friendly? The way I see it, I can focus more time and energy to working on my combo game and figureing out the new techniques instead of worrying so much about getting back to the stage all the time. You know, as in "only the best can string together a 0-82% death combo with 6 hits in the heat of battle using Ike." That's not a good thing?

Either way, let's just wait to see what time brings before getting all upset. Maybe it's gone, and maybe not. Maybe keeping it would be the better choice, and maybe dropping WD will juggle the playing field around a little bit and make SSB Brawl an all-new experience.

I wonder if Mr. Sakurai would enjoy watching how everyone adapts to the new environment of Brawl?

This is a new game and the mechanics are going to change. I think the SmashBoards people would have preferred the online Melee Sakurai alluded to.

Dr.Hadji

Jiggy37 said:
Still working through the thread, on page 12 now. I like how some people are convinced Luigi will suck without wavedashing, as if he didn't have some really good aerial moves anyway. His up B does lose a good amount of its utility, but it could still serve as a good punishing move...

I could come up with some easy set ups in which a waveslide-less Luigi would be helpless. This is the "old" Luigi and depends on the "old" Meta-game but the point stands. Terrible traction and poor horizontal speed would easily lead him to his doom.

Jiggy

Eh, I think Luigi would be screwed against sword fighters if he was unchanged, but other than that... Well, actually, there would also be projectile fighters in any stage resembling "large" to cause him problems, so you're probably right.

Whatever the case, I'm personally convinced he's going to have his Poltergust anyway, so we'll see how things go.

Innotech

Banned
perhaps Im totally wrong, but if a certain character required exploiting a glitch to be effective then the game couldnt have been very balanced to begin with. This is like getting pissed because a certain version of Mario Kart doesnt allow snaking. Or if a certain wall glitch allowing you to pass through wasnt found in a sequel. In other words its stupid as hell to bitch when a game glitch isnt present.

NeonZ

Scribble said:
Wavedashing is GONE!

Hm... it makes sense, actually, considering other changes.

1-Air dodge doesn't stop other movements now. An Air dodge can be followed by anything. In melee, after using the air dodge, it wasn't possible any other movement before landing.

2-The old air dodge would thrust the character into a direction chosen by the player, not only dodge.

3-If the old air dodge were still in, that would mean that everyone would essentially have four jumps, each one, besides the second one, with its own command, complicating an element which should be fairly straight forward.

4- So, they changed the air dodge, making the movement based on the direction that the character is moving in the moment of the dodge, effectively eliminating the artificial boost given by the old dodge, which was the source of the wave dash effect.

If anything, this seems to be a clear improvement on the overall engine of the game.

1up

I am pretty convinced that Luigi won't be in brawl. I saw that mario can change colors to be exactly the same green and blue as luigi in one of the gameplay videos. I hope I'm wrong. Unfortuately I can't find the video that I saw because I'm at work.

scottnak

1up said:
I am pretty convinced that Luigi won't be in brawl. I saw that mario can change colors to be exactly the same green and blue as luigi in one of the gameplay videos. I hope I'm wrong. Unfortuately I can't find the video that I saw because I'm at work.
Don't be silly. We've already heard this before. Mario has had that palette swap before too.
It would be ridiculous not to have him in. etc. etc.

He'll be in.

Iam Canadian

1up said:

...You're talking about Luigi.

Luigi, the second most significant Mario character. Luigi, a character that's been in the series since the original SSB on N64.

Luigi.

Dr.Hadji

Innotech said:
perhaps Im totally wrong, but if a certain character required exploiting a glitch to be effective then the game couldnt have been very balanced to begin with.

Umm duh. Melee isn't balanced. How long have we been saying this.

Iam Canadian said:
...You're talking about Luigi.

Luigi, the second most significant Mario character. Luigi, a character that's been in the series since the original SSB on N64.

Luigi.
Luigi will be in Brawl no doubt, but he is not the second most significant Mario character. Yoshi, DK, and Wario are all much more significant than Luigi.

Jiggy

Just by virtue of not being there from the beginning, Yoshi and Wario aren't more significant than Luigi. Peach and Bowser are, though. :D

Let's amend it to Luigi being the second most important Mario hero.

NeonZ

1up said:

It's green and brown, not green and blue. Anyway, Mario did have a Green and Blue costume in the E3 before Melee's release, and, yet, Luigi still was in the final game (and the green&blue costume disappeared from the final version), so I wouldn't think much about a pallet swap.

Jiggy37 said:
Just by virtue of not being there from the beginning, Yoshi and Wario aren't more significant than Luigi. Peach and Bowser are, though. :D

Let's amend it to Luigi being the second most important Mario hero.
When you look at it in terms of which characters have went on to star in their own successful game series...Yoshi and Wario are more significant.

Jiggy

CreatureX3 said:
When you look at it in terms of which characters have went on to star in their own successful game series...Yoshi and Wario are more significant.
Well, sure. I just think that makes them different from being Mario characters. Wario is kind of its own franchise now and could exist even if another Mario game was never made, and Yoshi is... well, the "Yoshi's" games are more tied to Mario because of the Bowser connection and the babies, but I still think they could exist without it.

CreatureX3 said:
But that's only one definition of significance.

To paraphrase American Gods:

You can go down the street and ask a hundred people whether they know Luigi or Wario better. For every person that says they know Wario better, I'll cut off a finger. For every ten people that say Luigi is one night I sleep with you. At the end of the day, I'll be spending ten nights in your bed with all ten of my fingers.

Innotech said:
perhaps Im totally wrong, but if a certain character required exploiting a glitch to be effective then the game couldnt have been very balanced to begin with. This is like getting pissed because a certain version of Mario Kart doesnt allow snaking. Or if a certain wall glitch allowing you to pass through wasnt found in a sequel. In other words its stupid as hell to bitch when a game glitch isnt present.

Every character can wavedash, and it takes a hella lot more effort to do that snaking in MKDS. This is the pistol being gone in Halo 2 all over again (replace MLG with Smashboards).

Whether you think it or not, wavedashing added a whole new level of competitive play in SSBM. But that's Melee, not Brawl, and something else will come up in it's absence (SSB didn't have wavedashing and that was still a competitive game)

GamerSoul

apocalidiot said:
Every character can wavedash, and it takes a hella lot more effort to do that snaking in MKDS. This is the pistol being gone in Halo 2 all over again (replace MLG with Smashboards).

Whether you think it or not, wavedashing added a whole new level of competitive play in SSBM. But that's Melee, not Brawl, and something else will come up in it's absence (SSB didn't have wavedashing and that was still a competitive game)

like....items?:D

I kid, i kid.

I get what you mean. Can't wait to see some of the things they can pull off with the airdodge + jumping technique tommorow.

Dr.Hadji

GamerSoul said:
like....items?:D

I kid, i kid.

I get what you mean. Can't wait to see some of the things they can pull off with the airdodge + jumping technique tommorow.

Watch yourself. If you (or anyone else) mentions items....you'll incur the wrath of that guy who supports items and comes along to smite anyone who hates them.

Zeed

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Watch yourself. If you (or anyone else) mentions items....you'll incur the wrath of that guy who supports items and comes along to smite anyone who hates them.
No, I think after how ugly the last spat got I think this thread has learned to treat both sides with some degree of respect.

Some idiot went and tried to shit things up all over again in the Hands-On thread and he got banned for it. Go figure.

The Hermit

Kinda changing subject, I don´t think Megaman will be in Brawl. I dunno, Capcom never seemed to care about Nintendo lately... ( I think MH3 was moneyhated BTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom