• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Japanese Commercials! now with tranny surprise

pretty great commerical.

American commercial will be a bunch of stupid teenagers playing it in that same boring Wii will like to play format with 3 seconds of actual gameplay.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Linkzg said:
pretty great commerical.

American commercial will be a bunch of stupid teenagers playing it in that same boring Wii will like to play format with 3 seconds of actual gameplay.
Smash 64 did have the best commercial of forever though.

ggnoobIGN said:

yeah, but that was back when N64 games needed to have cool commercials to sell, now all they need are 2 japanese guys hanging around with a bunch of kids waving the wii remote (actually holding it sideways for Smash, but whatever) and a Wii logo to pop up.

This reminds me of the long preview video on the Melee disc so much.

At the end of both commercials, you can hear the melee menu theme briefly.

Innotech

Banned
Im so glad I dont live in europe.
But oddly enough, Im looking more forward to NMH and EE coming out Jan 22nd.
But make no mistake, Im fucking stoked for SSBB.

Lobster

Banned
You know what? We aren't gonna get these ads..instead we're gonna get some fucking family playing the game and a little bit of gameplay.

ARGH!

Innotech

Banned
Lobster said:
You know what? We aren't gonna get these ads..instead we're gonna get some fucking family playing the game and a little bit of gameplay.

ARGH!
Im pretty sure anyone aware that this game exists isnt going to be swayed either way by a commercial.

GhaleonQ

Yeah, I understand why each game has done a different take on the experience, but for Super Smash Brothers, tongue-in-cheek > epic.

ggnoobIGN said:
:lol I remember watching that with a couple of friends and thinking "WTF, that looks fucking awesome". The first commercial is great, ugly cover though.

The American commercial should start out with the salesmen going to a random house. They get inside and meet Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu cosplayers. The four of them start playing it and it cuts to some game footage. In the game, Mario gets sent flying by Link, pissing off the actual Mario, prompting them to brawl in the living room. The Japanese salesmen get the hell out of there, driving into the sunset with a chair being thrown out the window.

Wow I can't wait. I don't know if I saw that commercial before I bought Smash Bros 64 but I was stoked for it and I ended up spending all my 8th grade Washington DC field trip money on a copy when I was there. And thankfully one of the kids I was roomed with brought his N64. So many fun memories from that commercial.

JCX

pretty cool. Too bad wel likely get a "wii would like to play' with 5 seconds of gameplay footage.

Aaron Strife said:
The American commercial should start out with the salesmen going to a random house. They get inside and meet Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu cosplayers. The four of them start playing it and it cuts to some game footage. In the game, Mario gets sent flying by Link, pissing off the actual Mario, prompting them to brawl in the living room. The Japanese salesmen get the hell out of there, driving into the sunset with a chair being thrown out the window.

Sorry, that would be too good and original for an American Wii commercial.

Meloche

Pretty solid ads featuring some hilarious footage [enormous Pikachu chasing tiny Bowser, and Mario slipping on the banana peel, heh]. I'm kind of surprised neither features Snake or Sonic, though -- should this be taken as confirmation that they are indeed secret characters like Sakurai initially said, and therefore Nintendo isn't going to be advertising them as much to the mainstream? I would think NOA would want to at least highlight Sonic's inclusion, but I don't even know that I can count on that anymore. More likely it'll be Wii Would Like to Play round 35, coming soon.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
I'm kind of surprised neither features Snake or Sonic, though -- should this be taken as confirmation that they are indeed secret characters like Sakurai initially said, and therefore Nintendo isn't going to be advertising them as much to the mainstream?
I don't know--I thought Sonic wasn't that popular in Japan, and Snake... Well, actually I don't know much of anything about MGS in Japan, so I'll just stay away from that one. >_>

I would think NOA would want to at least highlight Sonic's inclusion, but I don't even know that I can count on that anymore. More likely it'll be Wii Would Like to Play round 35, coming soon.
Yeah, NOA kind of sucks at advertising. I don't expect anything nearly this cool.

How about:

2 salesmen enter the house, and say "Wii would like to..." then they look up and see Mario in the middle of punching Yoshi who is lying on the floor. It zooms into Mario's eyes and the salesmen try to run, but they're blocked by Samus, who is pointing her arm cannon at Mario. She shoots but the shot is deflected by Meta Knight's shield. They run to the car and get inside, but the engine won't start. Suddenly Snake comes up from the backseat and they both scream, END COMMERCIAL.

Jiggy

Pai Pai Master said:
It's more than your typical Wii game!
Yeah, between bringing Sakurai back, getting 37+ composers to arrange the soundtrack, pulling in an orchestra and chorus for at least some of the songs, managing to strike deals with Sega and Konami and who knows who else, hosting daily downloadable stages for free, putting together a dedicated programming team for a single game, and whatever other things they've done that we don't know about yet, I think they've kind of earned the pricing on this one.

And I'm a person who thinks most games should be (the equivalent of) $30 or bust. >_>

Innotech

Banned
The problem with saying those ideas is that Nintendo pretty much cant do that now. Because then you could claim it was your idea and all that other litigation shit.
But it would be a brilliant commercial.

Death_Born said:
How about:

2 salesmen enter the house, and say "Wii would like to..." then they look up and see Mario in the middle of punching Yoshi who is lying on the floor. It zooms into Mario's eyes and the salesmen try to run, but they're blocked by Samus, who is pointing her arm cannon at Mario. She shoots but the shot is deflected by Meta Knight's shield. They run to the car and get inside, but the engine won't start. Suddenly Snake comes up from the backseat and they both scream, END COMMERCIAL.

If that would mean the end of those horrendous commercials, I'm all for it.

Just make the end bloody.

Tristam

Guybrush Threepwood said:
America is going to get a shitty "Wii Would Like To Play" commercial for Brawl, isn't it? :(

Surely not. I mean, motion-sensing is used to activate one move and one move only.

Lobster

Banned
Death_Born said:
How about:

That is so awesome that you should be head of Nintendo marketing..

Love the Snake part.

Sharp

I dunno, I didn't think they were that great as commercials. I think you're all just saying that so you can (justifiably) bitch about the inevitable terrible US advertisements which we all know are coming after they fucked up the ones for Super Mario Galaxy.
I AM JOHN! said:
They both sucked and did nothing to hype me for the game. Hell, even Melee's crying-baby PS3-caliber commercial was better than those.
Okay, what the hell was that.

Sharp said:
I dunno, I didn't think they were that great as commercials. I think you're all just saying that so you can (justifiably) bitch about the inevitable terrible US advertisements which we all know are coming after they fucked up the ones for Super Mario Galaxy.
They had ads for Galaxy?
Okay, what the hell was that.
The cries of a sickly born system, begging for attention. Or, if you prefer:

TripleTrouble.jpg

Circa 2001

Jiggy

Sharp said:
I dunno, I didn't think they were that great as commercials. I think you're all just saying that so you can (justifiably) bitch about the inevitable terrible US advertisements which we all know are coming
Well, yes, there's that too, but there's still something refreshing about actually showing more than five seconds of gameplay in a half-minute commercial. And they managed to convey humor (Mario slipping, four Kirbys turning into different stones) and some cinematic aspects (Link hanging from Battlefield) in there without even needing to resort to CG cutscenes. It could honestly be a lot worse than this.

Wii said:
This is worrying, they're still using the synth music tracks in the commercial...
I don't think people should be holding out for an all-orchestrated soundtrack. It's just not feasible when there are possibly going to be hundreds of songs in the game--and I mean literal hundreds. We already know there are at least 20 series represented in the game... If each only had ten songs, that'd be 200 (AKA "hundreds") already.

Edit: As it is, the site has already said some of the songs will just be in the original form, coming from whatever system they were on in the first place. I'm guessing that has to be due to space limitations. For the record, I wouldn't have minded that much if the game was two discs, one for Subspace Emissary and one for everything else. But that's because I love music and don't really care for cutscenes (which SSE is probably loaded with), so... yeah. >_>

Top Bottom