• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu!! |OT| Shonen Jump's Volleyball Anime: Flightless Crows WIll Rise Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n2zn7xPrqT1tv99peo1_r1_1280.png

Genre: Sports
Lenght: 25 Episodes
Streaming: Crunchyroll | Simulcast on Sundays 5:00am EDT
Licensed for Home Disc Release: Sentai Filmworks

Based off of the original Weekly Shonen Jump manga series from Haruichi Furudate, Haikyu!! is a slice-of-life sports anime revolving around Shōyō Hinata’s love of volleyball. Inspired by a small-statured pro volleyball player, Hinata creates a volleyball team in his last year of middle school. Unfortunately the team is matched up against the "King of the Court" Tobio Kageyama’s team in their first tournament and inevitably lose. After the crushing defeat, Hinata vows to surpass Kageyama After entering high school, Hinata joins the volleyball team only to find that Tobio has also joined

Production I.G.'s second adaptation of a Shonen Jump anime, Haikyuu!! like Kuroko's Basketball is their next attempt to give this series a chance to shine. Whereas Kurobas featured characters with near or at times superpowered like abilities, Haikyuu!! focuses more on being a realistic and character/teamwide driven volleyball focused story that truly teaches the fun techniques of volleyball while developing most characters.

The source manga is strong in both the story and character development part and the volleyball itself is amazing. Definitely give it a watch.

Karasuno HS Volleyball
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno1_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno2_500.png

tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno5_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno4_500.png

tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno7_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno6_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno3_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno10_500.png

tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno8_500.png
tumblr_mvmq4mWjib1spjxvno9_500.png

Kurita

First episode was really good, some great animation and the OST sounds nice so far. Liking the voices, too.
Can't wait to see (and hear) Tanaka, Nishi and Asahi animated!

So happy to see my current favorite sports manga in anime form, especially when the adaptation is good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Haikyu! - 01

At first I wasn't even going to bother with this show as I thought it was going to be fujoshi bait garbage, but after Duckroll's post saying otherwise I decided to give it a shot. Pretty solid all around, will stick with it to see how it progresses.

survivor

Banned
First episode was pretty fun and the animations are really nice. If it keeps this production quality then it should be a good watch.

bigkrev

Nice OP DTL!

I fell off the manga fairly early because no matter how hard it tried, I just couldn't get any enjoyment out of Volleyball. I'm going to give this a try, but fear I'll fall off the same way

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nice OP DTL!

I fell off the manga fairly early because no matter how hard it tried, I just couldn't get any enjoyment out of Volleyball. I'm going to give this a try, but fear I'll fall off the same way

you can always check out the other sports anime of the season, Baby Steps!

webkid94

Very awesome first episode, love that the rival isn't all "Hahaha, I'm stronger than you and you'll never beat me!" he actually understands to not underestimate others, which is a refreshing change of pace as other similar shows are typical with that type of attitude.

MC's last name is Hinata, now I'm totally going to be thinking of Dangan Ronpa when someone calls him by his last name (which will probably be all the time..). oh the despair~

duckroll

Episode 1

This was pretty solid. It's a fairly standard sports shounen setup, but the direction is pretty sharp and surprisingly intense. I like how the two main characters were introduced too, with a lot of the focus being on their personal philosophies towards the sport and how they communicate with their teammates, and with each other. It's a pretty lean introduction episode, with a lot of the progression in the narrative inferred through visuals rather than exposition. The animation and art is pretty strong too, with a lot of really nice character animation both in the action sequences as well as in the more subtle movements and mannerisms. Hopefully they'll keep the production values up, because I'm pretty interested in seeing how things develop from here.

Had to really feel for the country team of amateurs coming to the big tournament to try to give it their all. I loved how they did band around their captain and even recognizing their own lack of abilities felt good enough to want to try to do their best and help him score if not to win. Koji and the other's tears, and then Hinata always saying dont mind and making them not feel bad too.

There were lots of nice little touches with king Kageyama, the sometimes robe appearing or jacket moving and everyone giving him that title. And then though grumpy, couldnt ever feel bad since he was truly the kind of serious player on their team and Hinata on the other.

They kept the volleyball explanations too, one of the best parts of sports series when they explain stuff in a real and competent manner.

Also enjoyed tumbling Hinata
tumblr_n3ly34i3Gq1s02dsmo1_500.gif
tumblr_n3ly34i3Gq1s02dsmo2_500.gif

I'm looking forward to watching this. Hopefully the pacing is faster than yowamushi pedal which is the last sports show I've been watching. Week after week that show manages to impress me with how little it moves. Didn't stop me from getting hooked though :( Go Onoda!

Nasser

A very good episode! I love the art so much, very different and appealing to me. The OP is just one of the best! will keep watching

Why is Hinata a Middle Blocker when he's considered short? And why do they call it toss, it's a set, not a toss, animation is pretty fluid though, think they got the three step approach wrong because the first time they showed someone hitting Hintata did like a fumble and some weird 4 step approach.

They would show the slide as a highlight, and dat set? Clearly a double, ref. wasn't paying attention.

duckroll

Episode 2

TIbLJdN.jpg

I really like this guy!

I think I'm going to really like a lot of the characters on this show. They might be opinionated and competitive, but none of them seem like assholes or annoying people, just fun loving sportsmen who can get serious over certain things, while also having their own silly idiosyncrasies. It's going to be fun watching the two characters learn to work together. The direction was just as good this week, with some really nice moments of top notch animation. Probably one of the best looking Production IG TV shows in quite a while.

Kurita

Episode 2

I think I'm going to really like a lot of the characters on this show. They might be opinionated and competitive, but none of them seem like assholes or annoying people, just fun loving sportsmen who can get serious over certain things, while also having their own silly idiosyncrasies. It's going to be fun watching the two characters learn to work together. The direction was just as good this week, with some really nice moments of top notch animation. Probably one of the best looking Production IG TV shows in quite a while.

Good choice, Tanaka is the best character. The entire team is so likeable anyway...

2 - Karasuno High School Volleyball Club
tumblr_n3yxtwC5vx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

This episode turned out much funnier than I remember back in the day, probably because of the voices and such making it a bit more comedic than it appeared on paper but then also the Suga and Tanaka commentary in the background, and of course the silly faces being animated too, its always that one smile that gets me. Daichi did it too and Tanaka as well.

Kageyama may seem grumpy but I like how it some ways hes just like Hinata even using vocabulary such as he likes it because its cool and etc, both so different at times but then so similar in other ways, his setter explanation was his highlight.

Animation for one of Kageyama's scene and that hit was incredible, wonder if we should hopefully get many more.

Tsukki and Yamaguchi finally based on the preview.

survivor

Banned
Episode 2
Another good episode. The humour really works pretty well with all the expressive reaction faces and the dynamics between Hinata, Kageyama and their older teammates. Though I am enjoy the non sport moments, I wonder what will happen once the show enters the tournament phase. Hopefully the direction stays strong and makes them interesting without dragging down the pace. There is a shot in the OP of first person view while playing volleyball which looked pretty cool, I hope they use that for some of the matches.

Soriku

What, volleyball? I should check this out then.

After Kuroko ended, I wanted to watch another sports anime. I started Ippo, and I like it, but I prefer team sports...

Kurita

Episode 2

Great adaptation continues to be great. Tanaka's evil laugh and scary faces are perfect, he's the GOAT. Also some nice creepy Daichi moments. The animation is still solid, let's hope that the whole season can keep this relative level of quality. Some nice musics in this episode, I really liked the one that was on when they discussed the details of the match.

I'm hoping the anime gives the manga a nice sales boost, it totally deserves to be more popular.

duckroll

Episode 3

Nice training episode. Not much else to say about the episode itself. The interaction between the characters are great, but nothing much happens. I hope there isn't too much artificial drama with their other new teammates. It's fine to make them out to be bad guys to spice up the challenge match they're having next, but beyond that it'll be nice if they learn to respect each other and all work together. Artificial drama in sports anime can be pretty annoying and so far I like the personalities of the characters introduced. Hope they don't ruin that!

This show is great. The setter needs to learn to smile and not scowl all the time though. Love how dynamic the volleyball parts are. I never cared about volleyball before but I'm really hooked on this.

This show is great. The setter needs to learn to smile and not scowl all the time though. Love how dynamic the volleyball parts are. I never cared about volleyball before but I'm really hooked on this.

You really want to see Kageyama smile?

I like how they are handling this early portion of the series, at least helping to show us that Hinata isnt some perfect volleyball prodigy or that Kageyama is some perfect setter as well, but neither had the environment to do their best.

Most excited for Tsuki, his introduction was pleasing and only criticism I had is that I wanted so much more, best megane in sports series and one of the few actually good designed tall people in sports manga.

tumblr_n4btj6OjnR1scxk8yo2_500.jpg

Fbh

First 2 episodes have been fun.

It's a bit "by the numbers" as most sports shows but the animation quality is solid and at least in the first episode the "action" scenes looked great so matches should be fun

Kurita

Episode 3

I'm falling in love with the OST. So many great tunes that perfectly fit the anime.
Pretty unenventful episode but the good production valuers made it worth watching.
Tanaka's song was really funny.

It's been really solid through three episodes. It's a well produced show, and I'm enjoying all of the characters. I'm really looking forward to next week to see how this game between the first years turns out.

duckroll

Episode 4

I'm kinda glad I don't actually watch volleyball as a sport, because some of this stuff seems a bit far fetched as far as technique goes. As an action shounen sports show though, it's really entertaining. I love the intensity of the direction, but the characters being able to admit their faults and move forward to improve the way they play together is what makes the show for me. The entire episode might not even have covered the entire match here, but I wasn't bored at all. This show is certainly the surprise of the season for me.

Pretty good episode, even though I already know the events coming and the results, I still find myself getting completely into the moments in the anime and mesmerized by Hinata. The manga art did the scenes looking pretty well, but in motion its an excellent transition that still evokes the same feelings even. Really stunned by their job at this one.

Tsukishima Kei though is just plain incredible. He did everything I love with the expressions that I always imagined he'd do in real life, and his comments were always on point. Relentless and ceaseless teases to Kageyama made me laugh way too much and then the one where Hinata missed and he was right on time with the "King's Toss" comment to Kageyama and that one sound effect, was the best moment of comedy all season so far. I rewatched it no less than ten times.

Cant wait for the conclusion next week.

Articalys

After all the attention in the first couple weeks, this thread died off real quick, huh. Real shame, since I'm liking this series way more than I thought I would.

Episode 6

Hopefully that's the last we'll see of Hinata being a gullible idiot; that whole first half was a bit annoying to watch. The interactions among the team are hilarious though. Poor Daichi has his hands full trying to keep Kageyama and Tsukishima from killing each other.

As for next episode, looks like the first "rival" character has appeared.

is anyone else watching this show? because i'm finding it to be awesome and now i want to know other great sports anime to watch, cuz i dont think i've experienced much in terms of that (unless air gear counts?)

I'm currently watching ping pong as well which i find amazing.

Any suggestions for other great sports anime like Haikyuu would be awesome

is anyone else watching this show? because i'm finding it to be awesome and now i want to know other great sports anime to watch, cuz i dont think i've experienced much in terms of that (unless air gear counts?)

I'm currently watching ping pong as well which i find amazing.

Any suggestions for other great sports anime like Haikyuu would be awesome

I liked Ookiku Furikabutte and the currently airing Ace of Diamond.

Still watch this one, finally Nekoma soon!

so...anyone else care about this show? Because I looooove it. Haven't been this into an anime in years. Any news on whether or not there will be a second season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom