• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu!! Second Season |OT| The flightless crows take to the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y-Pimp stealing Oikawa's waifus
kD2FXN1.jpg

That was the best part and they had doubted the scaredy cat server, if only the boys in the audience there did too.

Archurro

Jesus, watching episode-by-episode each week is such a tease. Good episode, but there's only like 15 minutes of actual show per episode. Binging the show was much more fulfilling.

Such a good episode. Yamaguchi da best. Set 3 should finish this season, 25 episodes, right? (Or is it 26 with one recap episode - CrunchyRoll really doesn't "do" those for modern anime.) The flashback sequence was mercifully short, but poignant, and that tension building lead up music floored me.

Totally agree this was a huge payoff episode, and absolutely an 11/10 for me, too. This is the episode that makes me want to force this show down the throat of anyone who has ever enjoyed a single episode of Sports Anime.

I'm so glad anime (heck, even normal ol' TV shows) has/have mostly stopped doing that 5 minutes of "previously on..." at the start of every episode, because with a streaming service, binge watching is way better now.

Season 3 OT/ET songs have a damned high bar to reach.

Wiseblade

I'm so glad anime (heck, even normal ol' TV shows) has/have mostly stopped doing that 5 minutes of "previously on..." at the start of every episode, because with a streaming service, binge watching is way better now.
It completely depends on what you're watching. Haikyuu shies away from it, but long running shows like One Piece will absolutely use extended recaps to pad the running time.

It completely depends on what you're watching. Haikyuu shies away from it, but long running shows like One Piece will absolutely use extended recaps to pad the running time.

I don't really super consider a show that started over a decade ago to be "modern", though. I've been watching Fushigi Yugi on and off (never got to see the ending all those years ago, and it has been so long a complete rewatch is in order), and the reliance on that type of filler is so annoying in comparison to all the new shows I've been watching which had their pilot/first episode within the last 3-5 years. I mean, yeah. There are some flashbacks, and Haikyuu is definitely the best in the selective and appropriate use of them. However, CrunchyRoll doesn't even bother localizing/streaming the occasional clip/recap episode (so they might as well not even exist), and there is very little in the way of filler arcs that weren't present in the original source material in modern shows (very much one of my biggest problems with One Piece, btw). Or at least, not in the shows that I watch.

T-Rex.

Banned
What's with all the support the other teams get - even the scrub teams - and there's Karasuno with like 4 people cheering them on from the stands

Damn glory hunters

I don't really super consider a show that started over a decade ago to be "modern", though. I've been watching Fushigi Yugi on and off (never got to see the ending all those years ago, and it has been so long a complete rewatch is in order), and the reliance on that type of filler is so annoying in comparison to all the new shows I've been watching which had their pilot/first episode within the last 3-5 years. I mean, yeah. There are some flashbacks, and Haikyuu is definitely the best in the selective and appropriate use of them. However, CrunchyRoll doesn't even bother localizing/streaming the occasional clip/recap episode (so they might as well not even exist), and there is very little in the way of filler arcs that weren't present in the original source material in modern shows (very much one of my biggest problems with One Piece, btw). Or at least, not in the shows that I watch.

The problem with the One Piece anime is more that it doesn't do much anime-original material, so to keep the anime going it instead adapts the manga material incredibly slowly, thus ruining whatever impact it might have had.

What's with all the support the other teams get - even the scrub teams - and there's Karasuno with like 4 people cheering them on from the stands

Damn glory hunters

Cause the other teams actually went to nationals multiple times, while you have here the fallen crows, who just really have the people who helped them train (daycare kids with Hinata and Kageyama, the community volleyball association for Yams and Ukai, and tanaka sister). Oddly none of the senpai for Karasuno are present while the minor teams at least had their senpai show up.

T-Rex.

Banned
Cause the other teams actually went to nationals multiple times, while you have here the fallen crows, who just really have the people who helped them train (daycare kids with Hinata and Kageyama, the community volleyball association for Yams and Ukai, and tanaka sister). Oddly none of the senpai for Karasuno are present while the minor teams at least had their senpai show up.
I suppose, but they came so close to beating Aoba last time around so if anyone at their school was paying any attention they'd know this current Karasuno team is legit. Hopefully they get more supporters in the stands as it goes on.

T-Rex.

Banned
Tbh I really Tsukki but even Yama stepping up nowadays so he's gotta do more if he wants to become one of my faves.

Also where my fellow Daichi fans at

T-Rex.

Banned
Tanaka's faces :lol. Great throwback to Kageyama's line in S1 plus his reaction to what Hinata said was perfect. Karasuno gonna win. I believe.

CdX49u7W4AE6Uxc.jpg

Tsukishima yet again proves why MB can be the best, and Hinata too, though that scene had one issue that I had, how was there enough time for Kageyama to fully analyze the situation and issue advice.

Yahaba and Mad Dog-chan's scene was probably my second favorite part, just for the emotions shared and getting Mad Dog-chan to realize something important.

Tanaka's faces :lol. Great throwback to Kageyama's line in S1 plus his reaction to what Hinata said was perfect. Karasuno gonna win. I believe.

It wouldn't make any narrative sense for Karasuno to lose. I don't think Haikyuu!! is going to be about a treadmill team that gets bounced out by the same opponent every year.

T-Rex.

Banned
It wouldn't make any narrative sense for Karasuno to lose. I don't think Haikyuu!! is going to be about a treadmill team that gets bounced out by the same opponent every year.
From an anime point of view, sure. I mean it's fairly obvious Karasuno will win especially now after, well idk how to describe what the hell Hinata did at the end :lol but from a sports point of view there is no narrative.

Does anyone here actually watch volleyball btw? I'm genuinely curious as to how accurate the depiction of it is.

TheFlow

Banned
From an anime point of view, sure. I mean it's fairly obvious Karasuno will win especially now after, well idk how to describe what the hell Hinata did at the end :lol but from a sports point of view there is no narrative.

Does anyone here actually watch volleyball btw? I'm genuinely curious as to how accurate the depiction of it is.
The manga and anime are pretty accurate to volleyball minus the obvious cool shit.

TheFlow

Banned
Let me tell you guys how I thought there was only 18 episodes available for this anime till I went to crunchy roll to discover it is on 23... Damn

Mad dogs first spike was fucking amazing animation wise. It's one thing to read it on panels but to see it come alive is bliss

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Does anyone here actually watch volleyball btw?
I'm genuinely curious as to how accurate the depiction of it is.
I watched some real Olympic volleyball after S1 and was blown away by the movement. It's also way way more chaotic than I would have thought.
Serves being 60-75 mph is pretty high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IChryFis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkAF93qW5k

T-Rex.

Banned
I watched some real Olympic volleyball after S1 and was blown away by the movement. It's also way way more chaotic than I would have thought.
Serves being 60-75 mph is pretty high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IChryFis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkAF93qW5k
Wow. I always thought it looked fairly boring pre-Haikyuu but damn. Gonna start watching it now tbh 'cos it looks really interesting.

x09Nf6U.gif

Wait, it's coming in Fall?! Holy shit that's soon. Furudate better start writing, the manga's gonna need some space.

But damn I'm hyped.

I think there would be enough for 26 more episodes, cause there would be, by the time fall starts at least 70 chps unanimated (if this season stops at chp 150), at a pace of 2/3 chaps per episode, there would be enough content for 26 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom