• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise wiretapped Nicole Kidman, Scientology documentary reveals

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tom-cru...man-scientology-documentary-reveals-1.2933248

this is the bit about Cruise:

The film traces Cruise's relationship with the church, and claims it intentionally broke up his marriage with Nicole Kidman because she was not a believer. Scientology's biggest celebrity spokesman was largely absent from the church during his nearly 10-year marriage to Kidman.

4 takeaways from Going Clear, as observed in reviews of the film:

The documentary alleges that church leaders worked to "facilitate the break-up" of Kidman and Cruise by, among other things, making Cruise feel paranoid about his relationship, so much so that he ordered a tap on Kidman's phone.

The film claims church members worked to turn the couple's children, Connor and Isabella, against their mother in an attempt to sway decisions about custody.

Going Clear also alleges that the church tried to set Cruise up with future Homeland actress Nazanin Boniadi and even tried to give her a makeover to make her more attractive to the newly divorced actor.

The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology

Here's the entire article:

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief premiered Sunday at the Sundance Film Festival to a packed house — not with a star-studded red carpet, but with police protection.

A week before the premiere, the Church of Scientology took out full-page ads in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times claiming the documentary is filled with falsehoods.

Based on Lawrence Wright's 2013 book of the same name, Oscar winner Alex Gibney's film claims that the church routinely intimidates, manipulates and even tortures its members, tracing the rise of the religion and its founder, former science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and his successor as head of the church, David Miscavige. Gibney also interviewed several former Scientology believers, including past executives.

Canadian Paul Haggis, director of the Oscar-winning Crash, left the church in 2009 after decades of membership.

"I was really stupid. I was part of this for 30 years before I spoke out," he says in the film. "I was deeply ashamed."

As Haggis climbed "the bridge" to the most enlightened levels of Scientology, he finally learned Hubbard's ultimate theory: That a tyrannical galactic overlord named Xenu dropped frozen bodies from millions of years ago into volcanoes, and those spirits attach themselves to modern people today. Scientology is the means of ridding the body and mind of those spirits to become "clear."

Another former member who left the church in 2013 said its approach is "like brainwashing."

Several former church members featured in the film attended Sunday's premiere. Two said they were followed to Utah by Scientology investigators who photographed them at the Salt Lake City airport.

The Church of Scientology released a statement Sunday that characterizes these former believers as "the usual collection of obsessive, disgruntled former Church members kicked out as long as 30 years ago for malfeasance, who have a documented history of making up lies about the church for money."

The church says Gibney refused to meet with the 25 members it offered as sources. Gibney says the church declined all requests for interviews, as did Miscavige and movie stars John Travolta and Tom Cruise, both of whom are Scientologists.

The film traces Cruise's relationship with the church, and claims it intentionally broke up his marriage with Nicole Kidman because she was not a believer. Scientology's biggest celebrity spokesman was largely absent from the church during his nearly 10-year marriage to Kidman.

4 takeaways from Going Clear, as observed in reviews of the film:

The documentary alleges that church leaders worked to "facilitate the break-up" of Kidman and Cruise by, among other things, making Cruise feel paranoid about his relationship, so much so that he ordered a tap on Kidman's phone.

The film claims church members worked to turn the couple's children, Connor and Isabella, against their mother in an attempt to sway decisions about custody.

Going Clear also alleges that the church tried to set Cruise up with future Homeland actress Nazanin Boniadi and even tried to give her a makeover to make her more attractive to the newly divorced actor.

The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology

Sanjuro

"The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology"

Do they have footage of him with a woman?

i find it odd that the xenu stuff is supposedly some deep secret, and that you would need to climb so many levels within the church before the big reveal. I mean, uh, do church members not have google?

AkuMifune

Banned
4.-Eyes-Wide-Shut-1999.jpg

Cruise is fascinating. I hope someday he has an epiphany and murders david miscavige.

Otherwise he's just the most charismatic brainwashed sheep in the flock.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
i find it odd that the xenu stuff is supposedly some deep secret, and that you would need to climb so many levels within the church before the big reveal. I mean, uh, do church members not have google?

You could get pneumonia and die if you learn it before OT3, googling is not worth the risk.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I find it funny that the Scientologist they tried to set Cruise up with to keep him active ended up leaving Scientology.

Enco

Tom Cruise is a great actor and I love his movies.

Then I read stuff like this and my opinion of him drops until his next movie.

Why you gotta do this...

Mononoke

Banned
I wont think less of Travolta if its true

He's still awesome.

Of course not. Ones sexual orientation/preference is their own personal business. Everyone has the right to keep it to themsleves. Especially when you are in the public eye and so many people are bigots.

Blackmailing someone over their sexual orientation is fuckin disgusting. They are taking away something personal to him, his agency, and violating him. Bunch of predators.

"The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology"

Do they have footage of him with a woman?

ZING!

Mononoke

Banned
Eh. At least they haven't molested and raped kids. Or beheaded people. Or pushed people off roofs.

Lol you do know they've murdered and tortured people. They keep people in certain positions against their will and won't let them leave. Scientology is seriously fucked.

Look into the head quarters over in Hemet Ca and read the stories of ex members that luckily escaped.

Bades

Neo Member
I don't know about you all but after learning about some of this I'm signing up tomorrow. These guys sound like they know how to party!

"They also describe their experiences in 'The Hole,' a prison-like facility on the church’s property near the California town of Hemet, and tell how Miscavige forced them to play a crazed game of musical chairs to the tune of Queen’s 'Bohemian Rhapsody.'"

- From Hollywood Reporter

jelly

It's baffling how people get sucked into this and remain there. Makes me think they monitor everything a member does and filter everything negative against the church. How could you not read an article or watch something on TV and think, why am I involved with scientology.

Fingers crossed for some mega FBI takedown, the Church and their tactics are scary. Need to be investigations and people on the inside. Hope there isn't any prominent members of government etc. involved like celebrities.

I wouldn't put it passed the church that there is sick groups among them that exploiting members and others in horrible ways. That much power, secrecy, sex rings, abuse etc. Very possible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Murdered? Really?

The original statement on the "fair game" policy said that enemies of Scientology could be "injured by any means", so...

Averon

How the hell did Scientology root themselves so deeply into Hollywood and got so many stars' loyalty and devotion?

ever since I watched creepy David Miscavige on that old nightline interview, I decided anything that organisation says about itself is self-serving and entirely unreliable at least as long as he is in charge..

Mononoke

Banned
News to me. I thought they were mostly benign and money sucking. Not murderous.

No. They are a very dangerous cult. The Catholic Church is no different than any Union that protects their image and hides predators. Even the teachers unions have done this. Their priority is not the victim but protecting the institution. Also predators from the outside infiltrate these positions of powers to abuse people. The institutions are not doing it themselves. I'm not excusing their actions. They are enablers and complicit by protecting these predators.

But Scientology as an actual institution does these things.

Edit: I just mean that the scientology institution itself sanctions these things directly. They are evil people. Predators preying on weak people and taking their money and their entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom