• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise wiretapped Nicole Kidman, Scientology documentary reveals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology

That's some weak-ass blackmail.

Everybody already knows, Johnny T. Just be yourself, dude. We'll all love ya if you just admit it.

Out of all the hollywood, it HAD to be Tom Cruise to join the crazy cult. My top 3 actors in hollywood. Why couldn't it be fucking carrot top or Pauly Shore? No, it had to be the actor that genuinely makes awesome action and of late awesome sci-fi adventures. Not to mention immensely talented as an actor.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I cannot fucking wait to see this doc. I'm so excited. I wonder if it could actually do some sort of legitimate harm to the "church."

megamerican

Ironically if Travolta came out now it would probably make him the most relevant / admired he's been in the the past decade or even longer.

Grinchy

Banned
Cruise sounds like one of the most batshit insane people ever. As much as I don't want to like him, he's too damn talented. Almost every movie he does is great. And, despite being one of the most recognizable people in the world, he is still able to morph into the character he's portraying. I'm never distracted by "Tom Cruise playing a character."

Because I hadn't really heard about the Travolta's sexual orientation, I'm now fairly upset that he's been married to Kelly Preston all these years.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
They've had 160 lawyers on the case in preparation :)

HBO:

goahead.gif

Mask

Makes me glad we don't have much Scientology presence in the UK. Even less, considering the Anonymous protests, you know, before the name got taken by legit nutjobs, drove a few of the buildings out of the country. Fuck 'em.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Religion is not fraud, technically speaking. As long as they "believe" it, most of it is untouchable. Including their tax status.

It's unique among "religions" in that its founder admitted it was a scam.

Lone Wolf

Isn't Scientology against homosexuality? I guess I should look into it further, but I always thought that was the case. I know I've at least read that L. Ron Hubbard wrote disparaging things about it.

J2 Cool

Its just so hard to believe ppl letting something like scientology brainwash them. Its totally weird. Miss the days when hollywood connections were just mob-related. Or communism.

Tom Cruise just seems so awesome though. Really fascinates me how he got caught up in this

Yeah, I really like his movies. Listen to his interview on the Nerdist podcast and he seems pretty chill.

And frankly, him being a Scientologist must make him more receptive to doing sci-fi movies!

shuri

Banned
John Travolta comes from another generation, and he started as the ultimate sex symbol in his early movies; if he has been blackmailed for so long, it probably took a toll on him and thats why he's afraid of having this info coming out. Today, nobody would care, but back in the '70 and '80, this was some sort of career ender for someone like him.

He's probably terrified by this. Poor guy

The Hermit

"The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology"

Do they have footage of him with a woman?

oh you

Ophelion

This thread prompted me to wiki L Ron Hubbard who started Scientology. Good lord, that guy was an evil, narcissistic charlatan. He's like the devil of the pantheon of golden age sci-fi authors.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This actually paints Cruise and Travolta as victims.

Travolta would probably be praised if he came out officially as gay and left Scientology.

If Scientology does have dirt on Cruise and Travolta revealed by confessions during the "sessions" Scientology conducts on its members, then the only thing that would possibly combat this is if pop culture media outlets and news sources don't chew through everything revealed like they do for every other scandal. Unfortunately that won't happen with the zeitgeist today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom