• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 World Cup 3rd place |OT| Uruguay vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
subversus said:
:lol

pic011.jpg
OCTOPUS!!!

Trip Warhawkins said:
I wish Mexico had someone with the defensive skills of Perez. Or strikers such as Forlan-Suarez ('tho Chicharito's not too shabby). Or more strikers as Cavani or Loco. Or Maxi. To say Uruguay is only Forlan is to be a football noob. And GAF seems to be full of 'em.

Well to be fair, yes, most of the people posting are newbs. All the real football fans were expelled in the great exodus.

faridmon

The Chosen One said:
Wow, so "cheating" only happens when you get away with it? :lol

I wish I knew that in high school. :lol "Mom, I didn't cheat off my friends homework cause the teacher caught me!"

:lol :lol :lol

The twisted logic of GAF sometimes...
he got caught after he cheated, he did something that is not allowed (copy his friends homeworerk) and therfore he cheated to get the mark. If he is punished for it by getting 0 mark, he got the punishment he desrved. I don't see what so twisted about that.

Also, twisted is ignoring those diving comment i made, classy...

Ghana sucked for not capitalising the chance they got. If I was suarez I would be laughing as well because they had the chance, but they didn't take it. No sympathy from me.

Atrus

Gold Member
SalsaShark said:
Forlan is a striker.

You need more than a striker.

El Ruso perez, Fucile, Caceres, el Cacha, el Monito Pereira, and Lugano, all in the back, Played an incredible WC.

Of course Forlan is important, maybe our most important asset, but we would be A LOT worse without el Rusito or Fucile, for example.

We played great as a team, it really wasnt "Forlan`s show", and i think a lot of people didnt expected that. All im saying.

When Forlan is the only man capable of Free Kicks or your teams strategy for winning goals is a long kick to Forlan in the middle or Suarez/Cavani on the side, I'd say that a man like Forlan is instrumental and even the deciding factor in Uruguayan success in thi tournament like Roger Milla for Cameroon.

xbhaskarx

Gary Whitta said:
The shame for Uruguay is that, in the collective memory of the rest of the world, the Suarez incident will most likely overshadow and outlive anything else the team achieved in this World Cup. Was 4th place really worth being dogged by "Hand of God" infamy for the forseeable future?

Maybe among people who don't know shit about football, but among real football fans Uruguay will be remembered for how well they played throughout the entire World Cup, and for Forlan's amazing performance.

faridmon said:
he got caught after he cheated, he did something that is not allowed (copy his friends homeworerk) and therfore he cheated to get the mark. If he is punished for it by getting 0 mark, he got the punishment he desrved. I don't see what so twisted about that.

So you're admitting Suarez cheated now? Good.

No one is saying Suarez went unpunished, so that part of your argument is irrelevant.

But you guys want to act like because there was a punishment, the cheating was legit. And in your case, it may not even be cheating at all. :lol

Look, Ghana didn't make the semi-finals because they choked on their penalty kicks. But Uruguay also made the semi-finals because one of their players blatantly cheated and at the very least went against the spirit of the game. I can understand Uruguayan fans getting defensive but some of the twisted logic coming from other fans justifying it is just baffling.

Trip Warhawkins said:
I wish Mexico had someone with the defensive skills of Perez. Or strikers such as Forlan-Suarez ('tho Chicharito's not too shabby). Or more strikers as Cavani or Loco. Or Maxi. To say Uruguay is only Forlan is to be a football noob. And GAF seems to be full of 'em.

Don't worry, Chicharito will come through for us in 2014. He's just a natural at getting the ball in the net. He had 2 goals and barely got any playing time. Barrera just got signed to West Ham, and all of our players will become better. Not to mention they'll actually play in the next World Cup without Aguirre playing Bofo, Franco, etc...

The Chosen One said:

No one is saying Suarez went unpunished, so that part of your argument is irrelevant.

But you guys want to act like because there was a punishment, the cheating was legit. And in your case, it may not even be cheating at all. :lol

Look, Ghana didn't make the semi-finals because they choked on their penalty kicks. But Uruguay also made the semi-finals because one of their players blatantly cheated and at the very least went against the spirit of the game. I can understand Uruguayan fans getting defensive but some of the twisted logic coming from other fans justifying it is just baffling.
Uruguay made the finals because they won in penalty shootout, there was an equal opportunity for both teams right there, plus it only came to that because of that Ghana player's oscar worthy performance and i love Ghana's team too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SamuraiX- said:
Contradictions are fun!

And this is soccer, not criminal justice. Suck it up and stop being so bitter. Also, learn2English.

cheat
–verb (used with object)
to defraud; swindle: He cheated her out of her inheritance.
to deceive; influence by fraud: He cheated us into believing him a hero.
to elude; deprive of something expected: He cheated the law by suicide.
–verb (used without object)
to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.
to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.

to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.
Informal . to be sexually unfaithful (often fol. by on ): Her husband knew she had been cheating all along. He cheated on his wife.

He played by the rules and was punished by those same rules accordingly. He did not cheat. If he violated some type of moral standards that you hold, then that's a different story. Don't watch soccer if something so minuscule makes you cry so much. And I say the same thing to everyone else who continues to bitch about this without even reading the rules.
...What?

He was punished by the rules because he VIOLATED THE RULES. The rules say you can not deliberately handle the ball to prevent it from going in the net unless you are the keeper. He deliberately handled the ball to prevent it from going in the net while not being the keeper. By the definition of cheating that YOU YOURSELF POSTED, that is cheating. And he was punished for it, as demanded by the laws of the game.

That said, what's done is done. We wouldn't be talking about this if Gyan put away the penalty anyway, and if you're a defender on the line in that situation, you do what you have to do to keep it out. He did something he wasn't allowed to do, got lucky that Ghana didn't convert, got kicked out of the game, got suspended, etc.

Cheating is a part of sports. Football players try to cheat all the time, grabbing and holding linesmen to try and open up holes for running backs or bumping receivers down field. Deliberate fouling is part of the game in basketball, even though it's not, according to the rules, how you're supposed to play the game. And so on. Everybody tries to get an edge, and if they can go outside the rules a little to do it without getting away with it, bully for them.

Suarez didn't get away with it, but Uruguay got by anyway and Suarez got his punishment. That should really be the end of it.

Big-E

Guys why are people still fighting over this stuff? No one remembers who finishes third, fourth or 32nd in any World Cup. All that matters is number one. 2 months from now, no one is going to remember that Uruguay finished fourth. It is irrelevant and not worth so much fighting.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Can't belive people still are bitching about Suarez. The goal would have been offside and the free kick was a nonsense call. The match going to penalties was the fairest outcome.

rodvik

Changing Suarez subject matter for a bit. As I watched the match today I think the coach made a mistake leaving him on in the second half. Not because of the booing but because he simply was not playing well at all. Uruguay have a strong bench, it seemed weird to leave him on.

Salsa

The Chosen One said:

Can you please watch and comment the video ive been posting for two pages now ? :lol god

Id really like to see what you think about it.

Here, ill post it 3 times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1AS9N6TBg

Big-E said:
Guys why are people still fighting over this stuff? No one remembers who finishes third, fourth or 32nd in any World Cup. All that matters is number one. 2 months from now, no one is going to remember that Uruguay finished fourth. It is irrelevant and not worth so much fighting.

You really think this ?

Maybe for regular people outside soccer, but this is important and its gonna be remembered.

Atrus said:
When Forlan is the only man capable of Free Kicks or your teams strategy for winning goals is a long kick to Forlan in the middle or Suarez/Cavani on the side, I'd say that a man like Forlan is instrumental and even the deciding factor in Uruguayan success in thi tournament like Roger Milla for Cameroon.

He is instrumental, he is not the deciding factor. Watch some of the other goals we made. Everyone has a golden striker man, c`mon.

Big-E

SalsaShark said:
You really think this ?

Maybe for regular people outside soccer, but this is important and its gonna be remembered.

You are going to remember but you are an Uruguayan supporter. Can you remember who finished fourth place in 2006 off the top of your head? I can't and the rest of the world ain't going to remembering this either. I am happy that you are happy but a fourth place finish is a fourth place finish.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Big-E said:
You are going to remember but you are an Uruguayan supporter. Can you remember who finished fourth place in 2006 off the top of your head? I can't and the rest of the world ain't going to remembering this either. I am happy that you are happy but a fourth place finish is a fourth place finish.

Portugal. South Korea in 2002.

People who aren't going to remember are people who won't give a shit about who won the whole thing in 2 months. To anyone with any real interest in football a country with 3 million people finishing 4th in the World Cup is a big deal.

FredFish

rodvik said:
Changing Suarez subject matter for a bit. As I watched the match today I think the coach made a mistake leaving him on in the second half. Not because of the booing but because he simply was not playing well at all. Uruguay have a strong bench, it seemed weird to leave him on.

Uruguay advanced as far as they did in large part because of his play (and not just "the incident"). Benching him in a mostly ceremonial game after he had sacrificied himself for the team would've been rather caddish no matter what his form during the match

Salsa

Big-E said:

Portugal.

But the things is: this is going to be remembered because its our best WC in forty years. Uruguay was huge regarding soccer, first world cup was here, and we won it. We have 2 world cups. And some time after that, things started to go a little bad for us, not plain bad, but just not that great. This is Uruguay getting back and re-establishing itself as an important country for worlwide soccer.

CTLance

Gotta say tonight was enjoyable. The first thirty minutes or so were kind of eh, but then both teams found their rhythm and went at it. There were some truly beautiful goals (and some rather chaotic ones), always back and forth, never boring. That backflip by Butt was fun to watch. What a nimble guy.

The Uruguayans fought the Germans tooth and nail, and that last near-miss was a nice reminder for us Krauts to never ever let your guard down, no matter how many stars your opponent may or may not have.

The jeers whenever Suarez got the ball were kind of amusing. Now there's a guy that's hated by an impressive amount of people. I bet he wants to get off the African continent as soon as possible, back to the safety of his home country. I'd be a nervous wreck if I were him. :lol

I applaud the Uruguayans for their fighting spirit. That was an awesome game, let's do that again in a few years. :D

Duki

Banned
deliberate foul in the NBA = great defense
deliberate handball in soccer = CHEATING CHEATING DIRTY CHEATING CHEATER AAHASHJKASDHKJASBDHKJARIO(

Big-E said:

Not necessarily. A semi-final appearance by an African team would have been HUGE. Ghana making the semi-finals meant so much more to African soccer. Much more-so than Uruguay for South American soccer. Uruguay was basically playing for their own nation's history and prestige (and there's nothing wrong with that).

But for Ghana to be just a goal-line handball away from breaking the glass ceiling for Africa in Africa... it hurts.

That's why some of us have such a bitter taste in our mouths.

That said, I'm slowly coming to terms with it. I just didn't want Uruguayan fans going around here gloating unscathed. At least French fans had the sense to bash Henry for his handball shenanigans. But Suarez gloated about it and Uruguayan fans celebrated him as a hero for cheating. So yeah they're going to get some shit for it.

Salsa

The Chosen One said:
Not necessarily. A semi-final appearance by an African team would have been HUGE. Ghana making the semi-finals meant so much more to African soccer. Much more-so than Uruguay for South American soccer. Uruguay was basically playing for their own nation's history and prestige (and there's nothing wrong with that).

But for Ghana to be just a goal-line handball away from breaking the glass ceiling for Africa in Africa... it hurts.

That said, I'm slowly coming to terms with it. I just didn't want Uruguayan fans going around here gloating unscathed. At least French fans had the sense to bash Henry for his handball shenanigans. But Suarez gloated about it and Uruguayan fans celebrated him as a hero for cheating. So yeah they're going to get some shit for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1AS9N6TBgYouTube Me!

C`mon DUDE!! :lol

xbhaskarx

Big-E said:

No, we will remember who finished 32nd

vjFqY.gif

Feathers

Damn, SalsaShark and The Chosen One are going to debate that Ghana match till the end of time :lol

John Dunbar said:
Portugal. South Korea in 2002.

People who aren't going to remember are people who won't give a shit about who won the whole thing in 2 months. To anyone with any real interest in football a country with 3 million people finishing 4th in the World Cup is a big deal.

But he isn't wrong that the vast majority of people won't care who finished fourth.

Salsa

Feathers said:
Damn, SalsaShark and The Chosen One are going to debate that Ghana match till the end of time :lol

He`s ignoring my video. No fair :(

Feathers said:
But he isn't wrong that the vast majority of people won't care who finished fourth.

They will remember because of what i said in the post above. Uruguay is relevant again.

rodvik

The Chosen One said:

Right there with ya man.

The apologist arguments of "everyone would have done it" (they wouldnt) , "the free kick was wrong"(irrelevant) or best of all "real football fans dont mind cheating" (no words here) are amusing in their own way.

But Uruguay gets the asterisk next to their position in this world cup, so in the end I suppose justice is served.

A real bummer Ghana was on the receiving end of this one. It really was a helluva game.

Salsa

Majine said:
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/b7ca80ee-ad3c-4336-b262-0622d1df4e43.jpg[/ img][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rodvik]
But Uruguay gets the asterisk next to their position in this world cup, so in the end I suppose justice is served.

A real bummer Ghana was on the receiving end of this one. It really was a helluva game.[/QUOTE]

I take it you havent seen/are ignoring the video as well ?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1AS9N6TBg[/url]

how come this is not relevant ?

diving isnt "cheating" as well ?

Feathers

SalsaShark said:
They will remember because of what i said in the post above. Uruguay is relevant again.

Well, if this leads to a resurgence in Uruguayan football that'd be true. I'm just saying there's no precedence for the general public remembering what happened in third place playoffs, excluding the citizens of the countries involved (to a certain extent) and enthusiastic football fans.

I for one would hope Uruguay push on to better things come Brazil, I always welcome a shakeup to the established order.

Majine said:
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/b7ca80ee-ad3c-4336-b262-0622d1df4e43.jpg[/ img] [/QUOTE]

:lol Funny and apt.

rodvik

SalsaShark said:

I take it you havent seen/are ignoring the video as well ?

Seen it. Irrelevant. Here is an example.

If after Surezes dive in the last minute of todays game, just before the free kick a German player had walked over to Forlan and broke his leg completely unprovoked. took the red card and laughed as the Forlans sub missed the free kick, would you think all was well with the game? After all , the rules were followed.

Does that help illuminate why some of us got rubbed the wrong way?

SalsaShark said:

What is your point?

That the free kick came from a dubious call? That happens all the time in a single match. I could keep going further back into the match to find dubious calls in Uruguay's favor as well that affected the game.

Unless it's a "England 2 yards over the goal-line" bad call, I don't really think it somehow justifies cheating. Plus the Ghanian player didn't do a blatant dive ala C. Ronaldo. He just lost his footing and the ref made a bad call. The Uruguayan players were playing fairly reckless and frantic just a few plays earlier (which your little youtube video doesn't show), so that might also be way the call went in Ghana's favor.

It's funny how you excuse Suarez handball by saying, "Well, umm... it shouldn't have been a free kick anyway!!!111" ....or...... "It should have been off-sides!!!11".

But if that's the propaganda your local media told you to excuses Suarez's actions for you, then..... ::shrug:: Again, it would just be nice if you'd at least own up to it like French fans did with Henry.

Atrus

Gold Member
SalsaShark said:
You really think this ?

He's absolutely correct. The only thing people remember will be #1 and #2 positions and even then the details will be held by the supporters of both sides.

Nobody else truly cares about who ends up 3rd or 4th, and because of our habit of not awarding anything beyond the top 3, the 4th place winners won't be remembered outside of their own nation unless that is their best accomplishment. Everything is a detail for historians or rainmen.

For all the people stupid enough to bring up the True Scotsman falacy about 'newb' and 'real' fans, they haven't even seen enough football or talked with enough fans to realize that this sport has lasted several lifespans and will last for generations without end, and the fans will lose track in who won in what year, or who the winner may have faced.

The details are only truly kept in the nation of the team and each nations best efforts will continually be brought up in pre-game match ups to either jog people's memories or to inform people about a time before they were born. A great many will forget which matches belonged where and when as the World Cup blends into other international events.

I have a better memory than most and even I will struggle to remember who was on the squads of my favorite teams, who my favorite players played alongside, who participated in my favorite plays against what team, or in what year it took place in the decades to come.

I will have vague notions of good times and great memories, but time and repetitious events will blur the details and only the most significant features will stand out. This will all occur at a time when most will have forgotten what the voices of their long dead relatives sound like.

Salsa

rodvik said:
Seen it. Irrelevant. Here is an example.

If after Surezes dive in the last minute of todays game, just before the free kick a German player had walked over to Forlan and broke his leg completely unprovoked. took the red card and laughed as the Forlans sub missed the free kick, would you think all was well with the game? After all , the rules were followed.

Does that help illuminate why some of us got rubbed the wrong way?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ that being the same thing, oh god.

The Chosen One said:
What is your point?

That the free kick came from a dubious call? That happens all the time in a single match. I could keep going further back into the match to find dubious calls in Uruguay's favor as well that affected the game.

Unless it's a "England 2 yards over the goal-line" bad call, I don't really think it somehow justifies cheating. Plus the Ghanian player didn't do a blatant dive ala C. Ronaldo. He just lost his footing and the ref made a bad call. The Uruguayan players were playing fairly reckless and frantic just a few plays earlier (which your little youtube video doesn't show), so that might also be way the call went in Ghana's favor.

It's funny how you excuse Suarez handball by saying, "Well, umm... it shouldn't have been a free kick anyway!!!111" ....or...... "It should have been off-sides!!!11".

But if that's the propaganda your local media told you to excuses Suarez's actions for you, then..... ::shrug:: Again, it would just be nice if you'd at least own up to it like French fans did with Henry.

I never talked about Suarez handball and if it was the "right" or "wrong" thing to do. Im just saying that the people saying Uruguay are cheats and Ghana didnt deserved that, well: they got a penalty out of a handball that started with 2 bad calls from the referee (there was no foul, and it was offside), and they missed it. They couldnt possibly had better chances.

If there was no handball, and Ghana made that goal, people would be bitching the same way about the foul and offside bad call, saying that Ghana are cheaters.

Mindlog

Lightning said:
Did you see the slow motion of that event? The cheating was clear for both sides. The free kick should never have happened and therefore the hand ball wouldn't have happened.

While I still hate Suarez more for the gloating afterwards, This "Hand of God" etc... bullshit that he is spouting. That entire circus of events was one big crime but there was more then 1 crime commited in that sequence of play and Ghana struck first with what I consider a very blatant dive.

Perfectly fair even though I wouldn't call it cheating. I'd call them fouls.

/buys a round of your celebratory drink of choice

~Devil Trigger~ said:
OCTOPUS!!!

:lol
nice catch

We're just going to ride this inebriation into the final.

devilhawk

Duki said:
deliberate foul in the NBA = great defense
deliberate handball in soccer = CHEATING CHEATING DIRTY CHEATING CHEATER AAHASHJKASDHKJASBDHKJARIO(
You have the analogy wrong. The better comparison in basketball for the Suarez handball would be a call of interference or goaltending. In that case the basketball team wronged is automatically awarded the points instead of through free throws. If a player intentionally sticks his hand through the rim to prevent a ball from going through, the player would be looked on as a cheater (except basketball has the correct rule in this case so no one bothers to worry about the cheater).

Salsa

rodvik said:
And welcome to our world as we shake our heads at your tortured logic. :lol :lol :lol

Dude, how`s making a last minute handball save by reflex the same as breaking a player`s leg on purpose ?

There are clearly diferent intentions in those examples.

and wtf at Suarez diving ? how was that a dive ? watch it again.

Lightning

Banned
The Chosen One said:
What is your point?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh for fuck sake. Lost his footing? Now that's a good one.... That argument is as stupid as the Suarez' handball was instinctive and reflex action argument.

rodvik

SalsaShark said:
Dude, how`s making a last minute handball save by reflex the same that breaking a player`s leg on purpose ?

How is a deliberate handball stopping a goal going in, the same as a dive outside of the penalty area?

if my example seems crazy to you , thats how many of us feel when you try and tie the free kick to Suarez's handball. Thats how it feels man! Thats why we are all riled up!

Anyways, for what its worth as you know I liked Uruguay's play a lot this tourney. Good team overall.

edit, gotta go and walk the kids and dog in the woods. Dont take my lack of response as rudeness. later.

Salsa

rodvik said:
How is a deliberate handball stopping a goal going in the same as a dive outside of the penalty area?

Its not the same, but they had two bad calls, and we can all agree that if the team and referee were being fair, the handball woudlnt happened. But thats an "if", and we`ll just never know.

Also, the handball was called, and punished. The obvious Ghana diver wasnt.

But lets just leave it at opinions man, im too tired :lol its all good, really. Glad you liked how we played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom