• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 World Cup 3rd place |OT| Uruguay vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_13

Banned
Good game. Loved how the crowd was booing the instant Suarez touched the ball. Uruguay deserved the close loss but it would've been nice if Forlan got that last min goal. Was soo close. He's a great player and I wouldn't have been as dissapointed if Uruguay had won because of him.

luiztfc

Majine said:
5mea7p.png

:lol :lol

I don't usually post here, but that's gold, Jerry!

EliCash

Uruguay couldn't be more deserving of 4th place. I actually think they deserved better even although most people think that they were playing beyond what was expected of them. Germany probably deserve better than 3rd place as well. Both teams played a fantastic tournament and I can't see why anyone would say otherwise. Hating Uruguay for the Suarez hand ball is absolutely ridiculous. He was punished and Ghana had their chance to go through - they blew it.

And Forlan so deserves the golden boot - to match his spectacular golden curls if nothing else. What a season and world cup that magnificent bastard has had.

Afrikan

Calcaneus said:
Suarez used the rules of the game against Ghana, its devious but not the most dishonorable thing in the world.

Ghana should have made that penalty.

yup Ghana should have made that penalty....as well as some other shots during PK shootout.

but that doesn't mean we should disregard what Suarez did as just using the rules to his advantage...if FIFA doesn't step in and make a point that this will not be tolerated, it might be bad for the sport in the long run...

if people don't make a big deal out of it, especially on the most important stage of any football match, the World Cup......then there is a chance there will be more players who will do this out of desperation in important games in the future, with little to worry about but a red card and a suspended game.....but will still give their team one last chance to continue a match that should have been over.

edit- I disagree that Uruguay World Cup success was tainted because of that one player......they have been fun to watch and I can't wait to see them play again.

flintstryker said:
So we are just forgetting the fact that Squrez was sent off and Ghana awarded a penalty which they missed sounds like they weren't worthy of going on to me?

Yes.

When it takes a field player volleyball spiking the ball off the goal-line with his hand to win the game, then your victory violates the spirit of the game.

I'm sure amoral people have no problem with it. But if you have any concept of Fair Play then what Suarez did totally goes against it.

He cheated.

Yes he was punished accordingly with the rules, but it doesn't change the fact that he cheated and Uruguay's semi-final trip is tainted.

You guys act like just because someone gets arrested and found guilty, they are absolved of killing someone. :lol But just because he was arrested doesn't change the fact that he committed a crime. Many of you guys have a hard time grasping that. Punishment doesn't negate the crime.

Salsa

Lightning said:
Yeah... that didn't look like a foul to me...

That Ghana player looked like he's trying out for the oscars.

First I've seen the incident in slow motion though. Looks very suspicious on Ghana's part in slow motion. Perhaps they got what they deserved...

Glad i could change your mind.

Fio said:
Paul is a god, we all know, but there's still hope for the Dutch:

They've already successfully used him against Brazil. But are his jinxing powers bigger than Paul's will?

2ef2qhl.jpg

The Chosen One said:
I'm sure amoral people have no problem with it. But if you have any concept of Fair Play then what Suarez did totally goes against it.
This.

I've pretty much made my peace with the Suarez handball itself. The pros are right when they say many other players would have had the same instinct in his position. What disgusted me was the way he crowed about it afterward as though he was actually proud of pissing on the spirit of fair play that this tournament is supposed to showcase to the world. If it had been me I would have kept my head down and said nothing. What Suarez did was ugly and classless.

Such a good game. Congrats to Germany.
Forlan is the best striker this tournament, bar none, even when he's injured he's making things happen for Uruguay.

Suarez finally found out the downside of saving your team from elimination against the favorites of the continent. But credit to him, he still played a decent game, even if he needs to cut out the diving. That freekick at the end should never have happened with him jumping into the defender :lol

I'm surprised how much hate Uruguay got for making the semi-finals. They've played some of the best football this tournament easily, they just couldn't overcome 2 of the top 8 teams in the world. Hell, i should hate them after what they did to my Black Stars but this is football, you have to take your chances and we didn't. End of story.

Calcaneus

Afrikan said:
yup Ghana should have made that penalty....as well as some other shots during PK shootout.

but that doesn't mean we should disregard what Suarez did as just using the rules to his advantage...if FIFA doesn't step in and make a point that this will not be tolerated, it might be bad for the sport in the long run...

if people don't make a big deal out of it, especially on the most important stage of any football match, the World Cup......then there is a chance there will be more players who will do this out of desperation in important games in the future, with little to worry about but a red card and a suspended game.....but will still give their team one last chance to continue a match that should have been over.
You have a point, FIFA does have a lot of shit to take care of. I just don't know if Suarez's move validates all of this Uruguay hate going around.

Mindlog

The Chosen One said:
Yes.

When it takes a field player volleyball spiking the ball off the goal-line with his hand to win the game, then your victory violates the spirit of the game.

He cheated.

Yes he was punished accordingly with the rules, but it doesn't change the fact that he cheated and Uruguay's semi-final trip is tainted.

You guys act like just because someone gets arrested and found guilty, they are absolved of killing someone. :lol But just because he was arrested doesn't change the fact that he committed a crime. Many of you guys have a hard time grasping that. Punishment doesn't negate the crime.

Every dive is a cheat against fair play as well, but amoral GAF seems to be fine with them.

I cheered on Strikerguay and forgot about Keeperguay. They played some entertaining games in elimination and they had a great tournament. Forlan will be remembered!

magnificent83 said:
I'm surprised how much hate Uruguay got for making the semi-finals. They've played some of the best football this tournament easily, they just couldn't overcome 2 of the top 8 teams in the world. Hell, i should hate them after what they did to my Black Stars but this is football, you have to take your chances and we didn't. End of story.

Ghana had a tremendous cup for such a young team and they have many more good players coming.

I'm hoping Cameroon qualifies to the next cup. They didn't win a game this tournament, but something about them really impressed me.

-Eddman-

Great game by Uruguay, congrats to them and the fans. Kind of sad to see that Germany won and they don't give a shit, while Uruguay is having a national party when the team returns to Montevideo. It was also cool to see Abreu with his Nacional jersey, I remember he was always wearing that under the other shirt while playing here in Mexico.

Tabarez is in my opinion the best coach in the World Cup, he took a team with average/weak individual strength and made it play in the same level of any top tier country. Really looking forward to play against you guys in the next Copa America! Congrats.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Chosen One said:
In practical terms, yes, it does.

He decided to stop the ball with his hand, and got the punishment he deserved. His part in this thing ended there.

Then came in Gyan and he couldn't score the goal, when all he did in Ghana's ridiculous campaign was to score penalties in the group stage. He's the one to blame.

But, whatever. You guys can go on crying for all enternity for all I care. Uruguay is and will forever be recognized as 4th in this World Cup, and Ghana won't. You're just going to have to deal with it.

And I'm sure all the booing made Suárez so very sad. I'm sure he regrets doing what he did now. He won't be able to sleep tonight. :lol

Salsa

Gary Whitta said:
This.

I've pretty much made my peace with the Suarez handball itself. The pros are right when they say many other players would have had the same instinct in his position. What disgusted me was the way he crowed about it afterward as though he was actually proud of pissing on the spirit of fair play that this tournament is supposed to showcase to the world. If it had been me I would have kept my head down and said nothing. What Suarez did was ugly and classless.

I get you Whitta, but he wasnt really cheering for that.

We havent been in this World Cup position in 40 fuckin years. He was cheering the Ghana player`s miss because it meant we still had a chance of moving forward, can you blame him ?

I saw the press conference live and believe me, it wasnt the same seeing in-context and without the translation. Yeah he joked about it, and he gained the hate of many people there, but he was just happy.

SalsaShark said:

We havent been in this World Cup position in 40 fuckin years. He was cheering the Ghana player`s miss because it meant we still had a chance of moving forward, can you blame him ?
I'm talking about the "Mine is the true Hand of God" bullshit he said in interviews after the game, laughing and joking about it as though violating the spirit of fair play is fine just so long as you win. That's a terrible, terrible example to set.

Salsa

Gary Whitta said:
I'm talking about the "Mine is the true Hand of God" bullshit he said in interviews after the game, laughing and joking about it as though violating the spirit of fair play is fine just so long as you win. That's a terrible, terrible example to set.

Yeah, just fixed that, didnt see your last post.

Mindlog

Gary Whitta said:
The difference is you don't see Robben in press conferences after the match bragging about it.

Lesson learned.
It is OK to cheat as long as you try to pretend you didn't.

Gary Whitta said:

At least it points out the complete farce that is the spirit of fair play.

SalsaShark said:

Lol, even I can't blame him and i wanted to kill him for a good three days after the game. We were gonna be the first african team in the Semis and Andre Ayew would get to play after his bullshit second yellow card. But Gyan failed to finish and the rest is History

faridmon

The Chosen One said:
Yes.

He cheated.

you are so bitter its not even funny. He didn't cheat, he brake the rule and got punished for it, so did his team. Cheating is when you break the rule and you get away with it (Like your bloody Ghana team diving against America in the extra time)

I want to say: Just STFU about it already, but i might get banned for it, but you get the jest

Gary Whitta said:
The difference is you don't see Robben in press conferences after the match bragging about it.
Of course he won't. What would he say? '' He guys did you see how high I jumped when Forlan was 25 yard away?''

Calcaneus

Gary Whitta said:
He said that? Wow. That's where I would agree that he's being an ass about it.

Afrikan

Calcaneus said:
You have a point, FIFA does have a lot of shit to take care of. I just don't know if Suarez's move validates all of this Uruguay hate going around.

no it doesn't, that is why I edited my post to point that out. :D

I think this just has to do with the message boards......you saw the mostly African fans at the stadium cheering along when anyone other than Suarez made a play.....and sometimes they would start to cheer when a potential Uruguay attack is about to happen, but then realize it is Suarez who has the ball and then quickly switch to booing. :lol :lol happened a couple of times.

Mindlog said:
Lesson learned.
It is OK to cheat as long as you try to pretend you didn't.
Figures that that's how you would interpret it. The actual lesson is: cheating is always wrong, but bragging about it only compounds the offense.

Salsa

-Eddman- said:
Great game by Uruguay, congrats to them and the fans. Kind of sad to see that Germany won and they don't give a shit, while Uruguay is having a national party when the team returns to Montevideo. It was also cool to see Abreu with his Nacional jersey, I remember he was always wearing that under the other shirt while playing here in Mexico.

Tabarez is in my opinion the best coach in the World Cup, he took a team with average/weak individual strength and made it play in the same level of any top tier country. Really looking forward to play against you guys in the next Copa America! Congrats.

Thanks man. Nos vemos ahi :D

Milchmonster said:
Thomas Fucking Müller. 20 years, already 5 goals in world cups. Watch out, Ronaldo.

He so awesome :D

Yes, Müller was definitely a revelation in this WC.

Enosh

The Chosen One said:
Uruguay was a quarterfinal team and their 4th place result proves it.
they result proves they are the 4th team on this WC
The Chosen One said:
Ghana played better against Germany in a must-win game for Germany.
which means absolutly nothing

switzerland won't be the world champion if spain wins either

Atrus

Gold Member
SalsaShark said:
.. wat ?

Youre right, Thank You Forlanfucileperezluganomuslerapereiracavanicachagodinsuarezabreulodeiro ! you are a terrific man.

Hey...maybe you like to see teams contend on the basis of whether Forlan feels ok, but it just was beat by a team that left out Lahm, Klose, Podolski, and Neuer and were able to depend on others.

If you look at Spain and Holland it's the same thing. Serbia beat Germany but would you consider them to be better than Uruguay? No. Uruguay is a team that is about on par with Ghana or Cameroon. They rise yes, but usually on the back of one man. In this case that truly exceptional player is Diego Forlan.

SamuraiX-

The Chosen One said:
Yes.

He cheated.

Contradictions are fun!

And this is soccer, not criminal justice. Suck it up and stop being so bitter. Also, learn2English.

cheat
–verb (used with object)
to defraud; swindle: He cheated her out of her inheritance.
to deceive; influence by fraud: He cheated us into believing him a hero.
to elude; deprive of something expected: He cheated the law by suicide.
–verb (used without object)
to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.
to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.

to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.
Informal . to be sexually unfaithful (often fol. by on ): Her husband knew she had been cheating all along. He cheated on his wife.

He played by the rules and was punished by those same rules accordingly. He did not cheat. If he violated some type of moral standards that you hold, then that's a different story. Don't watch soccer if something so minuscule makes you cry so much. And I say the same thing to everyone else who continues to bitch about this without even reading the rules.

EliCash said:
And Forlan so deserves the golden boot - to match his spectacular golden curls if nothing else. What a season and world cup that magnificent bastard has had.

This.

The man is absolutely amazing. A last chance goal would have been amazing. I am neutral about both teams, but I really wanted to see Forlan walk away from this tournament with more than just shattered hopes and dreams. Sucks he couldn't get the bronze.

Lightning

Banned
The Chosen One said:
Yes.

He cheated.

Did you see the slow motion of that event? The cheating was clear for both sides. The free kick should never have happened and therefore the hand ball wouldn't have happened.

While I still hate Suarez more for the gloating afterwards, This "Hand of God" etc... bullshit that he is spouting. That entire circus of events was one big crime but there was more then 1 crime commited in that sequence of play and Ghana struck first with what I consider a very blatant dive.

Feathers

Damnation, missed the match today. Anyway congrats to Germany, they'll deffo be a force to be reckoned with in the future. Kudos to Uruguay as well, there's no shame in coming 4th at the WC and they played good football.

And are people still arguing about the Ghana match? I bet the Ghanaian team themselves have gotten over it, they didn't make the penalty so they only have themselves to blame.

But Suarez is still a cunt :|

The Chosen One said:
Yes.

He cheated.

Thank you. Some people act as if cheating is of no consequence just because there is a punishment for it.

Salsa

Atrus said:
They rise yes, but usually on the back of one man. In this case that truly exceptional player is Diego Forlan.

Forlan is a striker.

You need more than a striker.

El Ruso perez, Fucile, Caceres, el Cacha, el Monito Pereira, and Lugano, all in the back, Played an incredible WC.

Of course Forlan is important, maybe our most important asset, but we would be A LOT worse without el Rusito or Fucile, for example.

We played great as a team, it really wasnt "Forlan`s show", and i think a lot of people didnt expected that. All im saying.

faridmon

I haven't commented about the game yet so:

Well done Germany for getting the third spot. You guys did well and you desrve it. Now come back in 2 years stronger and you might lose the final to Norway.

Also, Uruguay, you guys worked your ass off and I have it to give it to you. You might had an easy route but nevertheless its an achievment and you guys should be proud of it. C. Ronaldo and W, Rooney should learn a lesson or two about your work ethod and you guys have set a great example of hard work = great succecc.

Battle for the 3rd might be a better match than the final itself.

I wish Mexico had someone with the defensive skills of Perez. Or strikers such as Forlan-Suarez ('tho Chicharito's not too shabby). Or more strikers as Cavani or Loco. Or Maxi. To say Uruguay is only Forlan is to be a football noob. And GAF seems to be full of 'em.

faridmon said:
you are so bitter its not even funny. He didn't cheat, he brake the rule and got punished for it, so did his team. Cheating is when you break the rule and you get away with it (Like your bloody Ghana team diving against America in the extra time)

'

Wow, so "cheating" only happens when you get away with it? :lol

I wish I knew that in high school. :lol "Mom, I didn't cheat off my friends homework cause the teacher caught me!"

:lol :lol :lol

The twisted logic of GAF sometimes...

Salsa

SamuraiX- said:
This.

The man is absolutely amazing. A last chance goal would have been amazing. I am neutral about both teams, but I really wanted to see Forlan walk away from this tournament with more than just shattered hopes and dreams. Sucks he couldn't get the bronze.

I expected this from el pichichi.

What i DIDNT expect was him scoring incredible goals this last couple of matches while being INJURED.

He`s a fuckin warrior.

Might as well repost this:

SalsaShark said:
What does The Choosen One thinks of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1AS9N6TBg

?

The shame for Uruguay is that, in the collective memory of the rest of the world, the Suarez incident will most likely overshadow and outlive anything else the team achieved in this World Cup. Was 4th place really worth being dogged by "Hand of God" infamy for the forseeable future?

Feathers

Man, just saw the Forlan goal. So good.

And Muslera had a bad day at the office. Shame, he'd previously looked one of the better goalkeepers at this tournament.

Salsa

Gary Whitta said:
The shame for Uruguay is that, in the collective memory of the rest of the world, the Suarez incident will most likely overshadow and outlive anything else the team achieved in this World Cup. Was 4th place really worth being dogged by "Hand of God" infamy for the forseeable future?

Mmmh i dont know man, i can only speak for what im seeing over here (South America, i mean) and Suarez isnt really getting hate. There`s the "HE`s A HERO" crowd, and the "it was ok, he got punished for what he did, Ghana`s fault". But no real hate. In Europe im seeing all kinds of reactions, its just a matter of opinions.

Feathers said:
And Muslera had a bad day at the office. Shame, he'd previously looked one of the better goalkeepers at this tournament.

Yep, totally.

It really hurts me to say this, but Muslera was a really important part of us losing today. Mistakes in all of Germany`s goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom