• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (August, Directed by Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnby

The Michael Myers joke was hilarious. Other than that, meh.

Also, did Baby run on top of an on coming car? Gimme a break.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I kinda prefer the domestic trailer over the international one. It feels a bit more high energy and slick over the other one. They're both great, though.

2 things I really didnt like about the trailer.

1: That hood slide he did looked weird
2: They should have chosen an older WRX those newer ones look horrible

Goodstyle

What in the world.

You haven't even seen the movie to know whether or not the comparison is valid or not.

And you're going to see it anyway.

Yes.

You have not seen Baby Driver yet, but you know more about Baby Driver than a critic who has seen Baby Driver.

That totally makes sense.

Hey, hey, hey, having a movie where the actual characters don't sing isn't a musical in the same way La La Land is. I didn't see the movie, but that's just how I feel about that. What's been described here is music happening around them, not through them. That's a huge difference!

Kinyou

For some reason do I not really like the face of the protagonist, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Movie looks amazing

Hey, hey, hey, having a movie where the actual characters don't sing isn't a musical in the same way La La Land is.

"Busby Berkeley's Grand Theft Auto" is essentially the exact same comparison. "A musical with cars" is going to be used as that comparison because it apparently sums up the general feel of the action pretty well.

Cars can't sing, unless it's Pixar.

teepo

a good friend who i know isn't the type to overhype these types of films had nothing but glowing things to say about the film

B33

Banned
Hey, hey, hey, having a movie where the actual characters don't sing isn't a musical in the same way La La Land is. I didn't see the movie, but that's just how I feel about that. What's been described here is music happening around them, not through them. That's a huge difference!

You're being pedantic.

Bobby's reply sums it up:

"Busby Berkeley's Grand Theft Auto" is essentially the exact same comparison. "A musical with cars" is going to be used as that comparison because it apparently sums up the general feel of the action pretty well.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That Mike Myers joke is great and it makes me greatly mad than I hadn't thought of it before.

Wright is a god damn genius.

I'm not really impressed by either trailer. I really like Edgar Wright as a director, so I'm hoping the trailers aren't very reflective as to what the movie's actually like and are just quite poor showcases of the film. I think I'll have to wait for impressions when it receives its general release before deciding to check it out.

CloudWolf

Every single one of those movies/show you mentioned would have been my favorite movies/show if is this was 1993 and I was still in high school.

What does this even mean? If something is liked by high schoolers, it can't be enjoyed by adults? This might be one of the most elitist things I've heard in a long time.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
If there isn't an amazing scene set to the song that inspired it then something very wrong has happened.

That said, this looks terrific. I've always thought wright's technical skill (editing with rhythm and visual creativity) was far better than the stories he was telling. This could be the perfect vehicle (please clap) for these skills.

black_13

Banned
I love cars and edgar wright so this looks amazingly good to me! So HYPED!

Didn't even know about this till the other thread last night. Only issue is that red STI doesn't sound like an STI in the trailer as it has a very distinct exhaust noise that I'm so used to but maybe in the movie it will be different.

Also, ironically enough there's a good analysis video I watched months ago that show's how Edgar Wright's Scott Pillgrim movie reinvents the movie musical which seems to be something Edgar Wright has evolved into Baby Driver.

Scott Pilgrim: Reinventing the Movie Musical

-griffy-

Banned
Why are you assuming the only proper comparison to La La Land hinges on the characters singing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom