• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (August, Directed by Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that when this inevitably underperforms the studios don't give a shit and still have Wright in their good graces.

plus he has that animated movie with Dreamworks coming up next which will almost assuredly be amazing.

Prompto

Banned
I think the rationale behind it is that it'll act as counter programming to Despicable Me 3. For example, look at how much Wanted made opening weekend back in June 2008 despite opening the same weekend as Wall-e.

The move is still dumb as hell though. Especially since Sony is the distributor so it makes no sense why they'd release it the weekend before Spider-Man.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't give a shit abougt Edgar Wright. Check my post history.

But I can tell from the trailer, the name and the music this thing is going to be Olivier Megaton.

Ban me for one of your earth weeks if this doesn't speed past 100 mil. 300 ww. ++

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

But I can tell from the trailer, the name and the music this thing is going to be Olivier Megaton.

Ban me for one of your earth weeks if this doesn't speed past 100 mil. 300 ww. ++

Not liking Edgar Wright?

An Edgar Wright movie making 300ww?

This post is craziness.

A-V-B

my condolences in advance

Maybe they're expecting really really strong word of mouth

I'm not sure that will matter. Even if it's the best movie ever released it will still get lost in that storm of blockbusters. I just hope somehow it manages to still make some good money despite what we're all thinking but not confident.

On the bright side we're getting a strong movie of the year contender earlier than expected so yay I guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not liking Edgar Wright?

An Edgar Wright movie making 300ww?

This post is craziness.

I AINT GOT NOTHIN TO LOSE

I think the movie looks special, not massive. Like a john wick plus, or a WANTED (jolie thing)double bump.

kevin1025

Banned
This is incredible news! For me, at least. I'll offset the potential new bad date by seeing it an extra time (so maybe three or four times). I think counterprogramming could really work with this one, and if anything I think this is a sign of confidence with the movie. The excellent word of mouth and reviews from SXSW, and the love of the trailers online, I think the studio decided to push it up to get it out there faster. It may backfire at the box office, but we are getting the movie earlier, so there's a win in there!

kevin1025

Banned
I hate to say despicable me 3 is gonna slay it in the box office not a smart move

I think Baby Driver is going to open below Despicable Me 3 and Transformers, but still pull off a decent run overall. Plus it's opening on a Wednesday, so that might give it a little bump before the rest of the week's slate eat up the weekend.

August was definitely softer and gave it a better chance (which also could have hurt since a soft month could soften the numbers some), but I still feel like there's confidence in the movie to throw it into that pack of wolves.

At the same time, I wish it'd kept its March release. We would have had it by now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hate to say despicable me 3 is gonna slay it in the box office not a smart move

I was dumbfounded when I saw The Minions made over 1 billion.

Wonder how much the second ma-

ZYbWI5R.png

BABY RUN

THAT'S NOT YOUR RELEASE DATE, BABY

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Happy I'll get to see it earlier, but yeah. Someone there must have thought "wait, it's an Edgar Wright movie! We can't risk it doing even remotely good at the BO".

B33

Banned
I am excited to see Baby Driver nearly two months earlier than previously anticipated, but FUCK. I want it to do well.

Wright needs to keep making movies and this isn't based on a pre-existing IP.

I'd like to know why Sony chose that weekend.

They are clearly trying to get in on the recent hype. But like, not like this.

edit: because my phone-posting skills are bupkis.

Blader

When they move movie release dates up aren't they showing confidence in it more than anything?

Depends on when they're moving it up to. WB moved up Live by Night from October to January, which a lot of us thought was meant to be positioning it for the Oscars, but apparently they were just dumping it there.

B33

Banned
Depends on when they're moving it up to. WB moved up Live by Night from October to January, which a lot of us thought was meant to be positioning it for the Oscars, but apparently they were just dumping it there.
This is true. A film's premiere being moved to January through March is usually indicative of the studio dumping it. This is a case by case thing.

Things have admittedly changed with the studios releasing blockbusters earlier in the year and Disney using the holiday window in December for Star Wars.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm excited as hell for this movie, but it was going to do poorly regardless. The title is terrible, the concept is weird, and it stars b-level actors. Might as well have it come out sooner rather than later.

Yeah, that title is just weird. It sounds like a random Dreamworks movie. The trailer does a good job of justifying it but not everyone is going to watch said trailer.
But man, does the movie look glorious. And I say that as someone who had an allergic reaction to both Scott Pilgrim and At World's End. Can't wait to see it.

B33

Banned
Comparatively, the budget of Shaun of the Dead was $6.1 million with a box office gross of $30 million. Hot Fuzz's budget was $12 million and it made $80.7 million at the box office.

The entire Cornetto trilogy has apparently been lucrative on home video and streaming, but I don't have access to those numbers.

I'm excited as hell for this movie, but it was going to do poorly regardless. The title is terrible, the concept is weird, and it stars b-level actors. Might as well have it come out sooner rather than later.
If I've learned anything through observing box office trends, it's that there are no absolutes. We've all had our expectations subverted.

It also depends on what you define as performing "poorly." TriStar aren't expecting this to do blockbuster numbers. I doubt Wright got a budget on the level of Scott Pilgrim ($90 million reduced to $60 million after tax incentives) for Baby Driver. My guess is that it's in the $20-$30 million range.

The release window for a film like Baby Driver most assuredly will have an effect on its box office performance.

Comparatively, the budget of Shaun of the Dead was $6.1 million with a box office gross of $30 million. Hot Fuzz's budget was $12 million and it made $80.7 million at the box office.

The entire Cornetto trilogy has apparently been lucrative on home video and streaming, but I don't have access to those numbers.

If I've learned anything through observing box office trends, it's that there are no absolutes. We've all had our expectations subverted.

It also depends on what you define as performing "poorly." TriStar aren't expecting this to do blockbuster numbers. I doubt Wright got a budget on the level of Scott Pilgrim ($90 million reduced to $60 million after tax incentives) for Baby Driver. My guess is that it's in the $20-$30 million range.

The release window for a film like Baby Driver most assuredly will have an effect on its box office performance.

If it's really a 20-30 million dollar movie, it can probably make a profit in that window. But seriously, this is the dumbest thing. I'm gonna see it. My several PhD friends at the program are going to go see it. But no one else in my town will, if it even shows here.

Anung

Un Rama
Are Sony fucking high?

Little bit of trailer hype and they move it up to compete with some of the biggest movies of the year?

Get Out and Split were hugely popular and were big earners at the box office.

They got a model that works.

Yep, but most importantly they took smart financial risks in case the populace didn't go in droves to see the movie. They found quality, but didn't trust it to make 100 million before coming even.

Ed-Silver

Neo Member
Just got out of an early advance screening here in NYC and it was a total blast from the first minute to the last. Easily the best film I saw this year. I really hope Sony pushes Baby Driver even if they have Spider-Man the following week coming out.

I saw it tonight.

It's good.

It's really really really good, and there are just so many "holy shit, that's so fucking cool" moments in terms of everything from action to even audio placement. It's a fucking great movie, and I am praying that this movie doesn't bomb.
Just got out of an early advance screening here in NYC and it was a total blast from the first minute to the last. Easily the best film I saw this year. I really hope Sony pushes Baby Driver even if they have Spider-Man the following week coming out.
We must have been at the same screening then!

I saw it tonight.

It's good.

It's really really really good, and there are just so many "holy shit, that's so fucking cool" moments in terms of everything from action to even audio placement. It's a fucking great movie, and I am praying that this movie doesn't bomb.

It's an Edgar Wright movie, released by Sony. I mean, how couldn't it bomb?

Icolin

Banned
I saw it tonight.

It's good.

As if I couldn't get any more hyped for an Edgar Wright movie. Thank you for the impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom