• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down announced (Panta Rhei, Capcom's new engine) [Up: Video]

There is no way it's a sci-fi game. They are emphasizing death, and cowardice in the marketing. This tells me it's going to be a difficult and intimidating game.

All they're doing is telling casual gamers that you can use new PS4 features to ask for help online, or even ask people on your friend list to play sections of the game you're stuck on.

Blanka's cameo is just a joke. That's really all it is. It's a medieval horror/action/monster hunting game.

Lol, even though there is a perfectly good chance that you're right, it is far, far too early to be so certain about it.

I'm sure when the first Assassin's Creed trailer was released there were plenty of people certain it was going to be a straight up historical adventure.

I'm not at all saying that you're wrong, but come on, we've seen next to nothing about this game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This times infinity.

Although DMC5 will never look that good because FPS would be the priority. It would look clean and pretty but not that caliber.

I hope I eat my words on that.

DMC4 is still quite the looker at 60 fps even by today's standards. DMC5 at 60 fps on Panta Rhei would make my face melt. I can't even imagine it.

The sound happened in the text message portion of it, while he was requesting help via what I'm assuming will be social features in the game/on the PS4. I can see where's he's coming from with that, but still the helicopter sound was out of place.

And the breathing.

I'm sticking to my interpretation, I'm gonna pretend that the guys who made the trailer aren't brain dead.

Right from the get-go in the first few seconds of that trailer it shows the world digitize into focus, and it does it periodically throughout the trailer like the whole thing is being projected on a TV. Deep Down really didn't have anything like that.

Those touches in the AC trailer only really stand out in retrospect, and there are things like that in the Deep Down trailer. There's of course the bit at the end, and also take a look at the logo for the game:

468px-Ps4_deep_down_logo.jpg

Now look at the logo of a straight up fantasy/action game like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls:

Dragon_s_dogma_logo_-_single_line_us.png

Dark_Souls_II_logo.jpg

Admittedly small details, but the difference in the style of the logos is quite striking to me. Deep Down's logo carries with it a sort of minimalist aesthetic common to scifi.

And of course the game is still very far off, and Deep Down may not even end up being the game's actual title, but my point is that it's way too early to call, either way.

klee123

Honestly I would prefer it if Capcom just releases an enhanced version of Dark Arisen on PS4 with 1080P graphics at 60fps.

Add a few extras and make it a PS4 launch title. I'd be there day 1!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The one good thing about Skyrim selling gangbusters are all these high budget RPG's that are starting to crop up.

If a genre should be milked, RPG's is it.

I'm kind of cautiously optimistic about it just because it did sort of seem familiar to Dark Souls.

However, I was also cautiously optimistic about Dragon's Dogma, and that was probably one of my biggest surprises of last year.

If this does turn out to be Dragon's Dogma 2 I'll be ecstatic, just because it'll mean we get a sequel to Dragon's Dogma and a very gorgeous one at that.

Lucent

If it looks anything close to that, I'll be amazed. And I hope we can make our own character because I did not like the look of that guy. lol.

Shinta

Banned
Those touches in the AC trailer only really stand out in retrospect, and there are things like that in the Deep Down trailer. There's of course the bit at the end, and also take a look at the logo for the game:

468px-Ps4_deep_down_logo.jpg

Now look at the logo of a straight up fantasy/action game like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls:

Dragon_s_dogma_logo_-_single_line_us.png

Dark_Souls_II_logo.jpg

Admittedly small details, but the difference in the style of the logos is quite striking to me. Deep Down's logo carries with it a sort of minimalist aesthetic common to scifi.

And of course the game is still very far off, and Deep Down may not even end up being the game's actual title, but my point is that it's way too early to call, either way.

Yeah, I guess it's too early to say lol. But damn, that would really be a twist.

I still am in the skeptic camp!

I can go about this two ways. If this isn't Dragon's Dogma 2, then I hope there actually is some kind of sci-fi twist to the game, and hopefully the dragon fighting and cave exploring is actually minimal. Because there are already a ton of dark fantasy RPGs on the market, and I don't think there's going to be a market for two different games just from Capcom.

I'd much rather that this is Dragon's Dogma 2, so that Capcom is actually putting some effort behind Dragon's Dogma, not splitting up their manpower and the fanbase. Maybe the bullshit title was because they want to copy Kojima for some reason, or maybe it would somehow hurt sales of Dark Arisen? Honestly though those both seem like pretty weak reasons not to just come out and call it Dragons Dogma 2 from the start.

But, the only reason I want it to be Dragon's Dogma 2 is so that it keeps the awesome combat from Dragon's Dogma. To that end, did anyone see any moves or sword swings or armor or anything that reminds them of Dragon's Dogma? I didn't, unfortunately.

Anteater

Looks like real time to me. Reminds me of the Dragon fight in DD, it would be great if it's actually DD2 or a spiritual successor, but it seem a lot slower judging from the animations, and resembles dark souls a bit.

Harlequin

What's up with the modern-looking text-displays in between the game scenes and the menu shown at the end also looked somewhat modern to me (look at the background behind the actual message. Almost looks like blueprints of an electronic device or sth). Assassin's Creed 2.0?

EDIT: Ah, people have already picked up on it :p.

AAK

This is the first time anything has come remotely close to the animation of the Killzone 2 CG trailer.

Izick

I just come back to thinking that this is going to look comparatively bad to other PS4 games in like two or three years. I'm really excited to see some more next-gen games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cross posting.

I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:26 - Weird DOF at seam as the camera comes into focus of the flame.
0:31 - Fabric tears and stitching on bald guy's cloak are textured on.
0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
0:43 - Pixellated DOF edge.
0:48 - Standard SSAO/HDAO.
0:52 - What looks like shadow flickering or even z-fighting on the pillars.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:18 - Relatively muddy ground texture.
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

This, on the other hand, looks bona fide real time.

PSA

BUY FUCKING DRAGON DOGMAS DARK ARISEN GUYYYYSSSSSS

SO I CAN GET A SEQUEL IN THIS ENGINNNEEEE

YOU GUYSSS

please buy dark arisen. PSA over.

All I can think:

New Street Fight, new Resident Evil,
new Megaman
will look insane.

Did they announce if Deep Down was exclusive? I see the site says that it's Capcom's first game for PS4. Any chance of this coming to *coughWiiUcouh*? I assume the engine will be compatible.

Cross posting.

I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

You are good people.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Clearly it is in engine. MT Framework was always amazing with fire, smoke and explosions too so I don't doubt that either. Particle effects look doable on the hardware too.

Right from the get-go in the first few seconds of that trailer it shows the world digitize into focus, and it does it periodically throughout the trailer like the whole thing is being projected on a TV. Deep Down really didn't have anything like that.

Did you watch the same trailer I did? The title cards flash into computer script multiple times. There's the sound of a freakin helicopter overtop a computer UI of some sort. Then the whole thing shuts off like a television.

RiverBed

Banned
I am sure they edited the camera and animation to make it blend in for presentation, which isn't a problem. This is instantly my #1 next gen title to keep an eye on and the best I've seen yet. I really felt the intensity and danger of the flames. The first thought that ran in my mind was Tim Sweeney (head of Unreal Engine tech) having a huge grin on his face seeing all that particle goodness. lol
This game was the only one that made me doubt its legitimacy, but this is the start of the next generation, and nothing shows looked impossible to achieve given the new tech benchmark.

Also, in support of the insane particle details, I loved the Unreal Engine demo continuation. The second part looks amazing and it showed similarly impressive particle effects as Capcom's demo.

Teknoman

Seems like a killzone 2 moment to me :-/

I hope not. That damn trailer really made me skeptical about all system reveal videos though.

As long as the game looks like that, maintains that animation and lighting quality, while running at a constant smooth framerate...i'm good.

Sanctuary

Jumping on the Dark Souls money train?

That's exactly what I thought too. They already borrowed some elements from the Souls games with Dragon's Dogma, and the combat was the best thing about Dragon's Dogma. So either we are seeing a more hardcore combat based game, or Dragon's Dogma 2 under another name for now.

Spierek

It looked like Dragon's Dogma 2. Amongst all of the games shown yesterday this got me hyped the most. Look at those goddamn graphics, that shield melting under the fire.

Sheroking

The sequence where it shifted to "gameplay" and the orc-looking dude was holding the torch was the true "wow" moment for me in this conference. It looked like a gen jump over Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls, etc.

Nothing else in what they showed felt like a sizable jump over it's prequels the way I was hoping.

-SD-

Banned
I was most impressed by the art direction and the color palette. Really nailed the "fantasy look" that's in my mind.

Easily the best demo at the show and the best engine demo I've ever seen. Definitely not actual gameplay but... hopefully that was an in-engine demo and not another Killzone style hoax. Judging by the aliasing, it could have been real.

lefantome

Cross posting.

I bet it's something like agnis.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Best looking game so far imo.
More intrigued by this game than any other one they've shown so far, but I wanna see some gameplay.
This.

The digitized fonts and weird social messaging thing struck me as odd. Likely a nod to the PS4's emphasis social features and the possibility that the game has co-op. But then that helicopter noise was strange too.

The sound of the helicopter, the social network like post...this is probably a game world like The Matrix or Assassins Creed. You have a character that "jacks in" a virtual world.

I'm hoping the first quote is true and the second one isn't. I didn't care for the Assassin's Creed VR shit at all, honestly. I don't like games-within-games kind of deals. Please let it just be some sort of joke about the social networking features... :/

Also, the more Dark Souls-esque games, the better.
:) Only if done right!

The combat/reaction animations are pretty much a dead giveaway that this is a real-time cutscene in-engine, not gameplay. A game where your character moves like that probably wouldn't even be fun, he's barely in control of his own footing.

That being said, I would be very impressed if Capcom has somehow cracked the animation code in terms of contextual movement, but I very much doubt that for a game this early in the generation.

zoukka

The combat/reaction animations are pretty much a dead giveaway that this is a real-time cutscene in-engine, not gameplay. A game where your character moves like that probably wouldn't even be fun, he's barely in control of his own footing.

That being said, I would be very impressed if Capcom has somehow cracked the animation code in terms of contextual movement, but I very much doubt that for a game this early in the generation.

Well if someone is to cover new ground in giant monster animation, it's Capcom.

Lucent

If that's really how it'll end up looking, The Last Guardian will have to move to PS4 (if it hasn't already) to be up there with the graphics and motion. That dragon was more impressive than the creature so far.

Bedlam

I can't really get excited about it since it wasn't gameplay. The final game isn't going to look nearly as dynamic; hell, this was basically a cutscene with the camera panning behind the character a few times. And it's probably not going to look as good either, even if the trailer was realtime.

And I don't know if I like it how Capcom obviously goes heavily after Dark Souls. Even the latest Dragon's Dogma trailer was an indication of that.

RiverBed

Banned
That hit is sooo satisfying. I really hope your character will jerk and shift around like that in the final game. The illusion breaks, in so many games, when your character is fighting to the death and the camera is perfectly fixed behind him the whole time as if it was connected to his spine.

Top Bottom