• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down announced (Panta Rhei, Capcom's new engine) [Up: Video]

orioto

Good Art™
ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

This isn't that crazy honestly. Incredible light and models, ok. Now the animation. Is that so far from some gif we could do in GOD ascension ? Even Monster Hunter games have pretty incredible animations for monsters.

raven777

watching it 1080P, it definitely feels real-time, not CG.

If it actually runs like that on PS4, that is extremely impressive.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Blanka avatar was a joke for the fans sure. The post itself and the helicopter sound had to be directly about the game.

I think the helicopter sound was just alluding to the fact he was "calling in backup" or a supply drop or something like that.

This game likely will not have an Assassin's Creed futuristic angle...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This isn't that crazy honestly. Incredible light and models, ok. Now the animation. Is that so far from some gif we could do in GOD ascension ? Even Monster Hunter games have pretty incredible animations for monsters.

Mocap is mocap:) What isn't there and that you would expect for next-gen (which is probably not there because they are tackling a couple of technical issues at a time, not all day one), is cloth dynamic and hair.

This character's clothing should fold as he moves, realistically, and any little piece hanging on him could move physically. Right now it's all static. Same with the hair of the guy with the torch, they are obviously not yet there.

The first things that get upgraded in an engine would be lighting and post effects (motion blur, bloom, etc.). Then shaders (skin, translucency, displacement mapping) and dynamic properties used for cloth, vegetation, breakables.

Can't wait for a new Dark/Demon Souls game on next-gen:D

I don't believe the fire is real time...
In engine sure, but in engine has nothing to do with the ps4 can actually render in real time.

As for the animations well those obviously won't make it into the game, they never do.

Shinta

Banned
This was easily the best part of the whole conference. Capcom is totally bringing it.

I loveeeeeee how the guy cowers in complete fear behind cover when the dragon first blows fire. I love the art style and the animations and monsters look insane. The fire shield block at the end is one of the most epic shield blocks ever.

And the marketing taglines emphasize fear and cowardice, which seems to be really playing up the horror angle.

This is going to be completely amazing.

watching it 1080P, it definitely feels real-time, not CG.

If it actually runs like that on PS4, that is extremely impressive.

Where about is the 1080p version of the trailer?.The YT video on the OT is 720p and slightly compressed. Love to see it at a higher bitrate.

Noirulus

This game looks jaw-dropping. I really hope it turns out well. It's probably not going to be, but if it's even semi open-world, I'll bite day 1 depending on the PS4's price.

I think the helicopter sound was just alluding to the fact he was "calling in backup" or a supply drop or something like that.

This game likely will not have an Assassin's Creed futuristic angle...

How does that make any sense? An helicopter in a medieval setting.

Love the fire effects, looks mind blowing actually. No more low resolution fire effects and alpha effects that plague many ps3 games. I take it because of its 176 GB bandwidth?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
prediction: this game wont be set entirely in a fantasy world but rather be a series of 'set pieces' in differant scenarios such as sci-fi, old west, modern war, etc.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
prediction: this game wont be set entirely in a fantasy world but rather be a series of 'set pieces' in differant scenarios such as sci-fi, old west, modern war, etc.

I really hope you're wrong, honestly, but the trailer was pretty ambiguous. I was hoping that they were trying to show off some of the social features of the game with that Blanka comment, but it could be some sort of "Capcom Land" with this minigame being the Dragon's Dogma portion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

That's the point. I'm talking about the social aspect of the game... the messaging... takes place outside the context of this game's setting.

I think the sound was dumb, and clearly confusing for people... taking it too literally.

Dark Souls wannabe?

I don't understand why this isn't branded under the Dragon's Dogma name. Now they have two new medieval fantasy IPs competing with each other.

Dahbomb

Please Capcom, give me Uncle Dante slaying demons on the Panta Rhei engine.
This times infinity.

Although DMC5 will never look that good because FPS would be the priority. It would look clean and pretty but not that caliber.

I hope I eat my words on that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whether or not it animates that well in the final build is up in the air, but there's really no reason to believe that level of graphical detail isn't accomplishable on next generation hardware.

scently

Absolutely the best looking game of the lot. I didn't it was real time until I watched the 1080p vid. Still, it look absolutely incredible and I can't imagine what we will see much later in the console's life.

noobasuar

Banned
I really don't believe this is a game. This looks better than anything Capcom has put out in some time.

Or at the very least I think this is something that's like 2 years out.

nataku

The sound happened in the text message portion of it, while he was requesting help via what I'm assuming will be social features in the game/on the PS4. I can see where's he's coming from with that, but still the helicopter sound was out of place.

I'm really not quite sure what to make of the whole helicopter/back-up thing at the end. Seems far too deliberate to merely be an allusion to social/online features.

THAT is the best looking game I've seen. on PC or anything. Which is why I doubt it's real...

...but if this is MT Framework then wtf please for the love of god get us DMC5 on this shit. I will die happy.

This times infinity.

Although DMC5 will never look that good because FPS would be the priority. It would look clean and pretty but not that caliber.

I hope I eat my words on that.

I'd imagine that's likely. Ono mentioned the engine as a successor to MT Framework, so everything they make is going be on it. And with the planned hiring, a lot of stuff is going to be made internally. It shur looks purdy, I tel u wat.

I'm really not quite sure what to make of the whole helicopter/back-up thing at the end. Seems far too deliberate to merely be an allusion to social/online features.

Yeah, that and the computer static thing in the titles points to the conceit of the game being a kind of virtual reality.

Like a game within a game.

Probably not unlike Assassin's Creed.

FourMyle

I really hope you are wrong but that bit at the end makes it pretty obvious they are hinting at something :/

Luthos

This was the one game that had me truly skeptical on whether it was legit or not. KZ4, Watch Dogs... they look awesome, but probable.

This looked a bit too good to be possible.

Shinta

Banned
I really hope you are wrong but that bit at the end makes it pretty obvious they are hinting at something :/

There is no way it's a sci-fi game. They are emphasizing death, and cowardice in the marketing. This tells me it's going to be a difficult and intimidating game.

All they're doing is telling casual gamers that you can use new PS4 features to ask for help online, or even ask people on your friend list to play sections of the game you're stuck on.

Blanka's cameo is just a joke. That's really all it is. It's a medieval horror/action/monster hunting game.

Top Bottom