• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down announced (Panta Rhei, Capcom's new engine) [Up: Video]

zoukka

That hit is sooo satisfying. I really hope your character will jerk and shift around like that in the final game. The illusion breaks, in so many games, when your character is fighting to the death and the camera is perfectly fixed behind him the whole time as if it was connected to his spine.

That's because we kind of want to see what's happening while we control a character.

Bruno MB

So they haven't given up on Dragon's Dogma (this looks like its successor, at least spiritually) after it had flopped outside Japan.

Despite its flaws I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma so I'm very curious about this new title.

RiverBed

Banned
That's because we kind of want to see what's happening while we control a character.
It's the same visual footprint and it won't be jumping all over the place. Think about it as gun animation when you move around in a FPS (not firing). It will aid in the 'feel' you get from receiving blows.

Sanctuary

I can't really get excited about it since it wasn't gameplay. The final game isn't going to look nearly as dynamic; hell, this was basically a cutscene with the camera panning behind the character a few times. And it's probably not going to look as good either, even if the trailer was realtime.

And I don't know if I like it how Capcom obviously goes heavily after Dark Souls. Even the latest Dragon's Dogma trailer was an indication of that.

Dragon's Dogma already had a Souls vibe happening prior to the expansion. It was mostly some aesthetics and lighting in the dungeons, but it definitely had that vibe going for it. With the expansion it seems like they decided to "borrow" even more from that series, but I say the game will probably be better because of it. The combat was the best part about it anyway.

I can only see this as a problem, if you're worried that more developers will try to ride the Souls train and that will make the original series somehow less special since it's not really unique any longer. That's typically how new genres start though, so...

So they haven't given up on Dragon's Dogma (this looks like its successor, at least spiritually) after it had flopped outside Japan.

Despite its flaws I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma so I'm very curious about this new title.

How did it "flop" outside of Japan? 510,000 copies in Japan vs 380,000 in the US, or 770,000 outside of Japan total?

Mugaaz

Dragon's Dogma flopped?

Durante

Is anyone else vaguely offended by the obviously fake HUD in this demo? I mean, who, exactly, do they expect to buy that?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Day 1 for me. Dat graphics. Wow!

iys2BUgcugJAd.gif

i8mzEU2Xpk2AI.gif

Dat fake HUD.

Burt

That hit is sooo satisfying. I really hope your character will jerk and shift around like that in the final game. The illusion breaks, in so many games, when your character is fighting to the death and the camera is perfectly fixed behind him the whole time as if it was connected to his spine.

Unfortunately, I think that if anything in the video is fake, it would be that. The trailer is definitely in-engine, but that hit and the dragon's reaction to it are way too precise to be unscripted gameplay.

Unfortunately, I think that if anything in the video is fake, it would be that. The trailer is definitely in-engine, but that hit and the dragon's reaction to it are way too precise to be unscripted gameplay.

On the off chance that was legit gameplay though, I think that the hit reaction and the specificity of that reaction would be the kind of nextgen advance that would make me genuinely impressed, much more than slightly nicer looking visuals.

Ahasverus

"He will go down
He will drown down
Deeper Down"

Actually inspired by Cacpom

jks aside, great looking game, Capcom almost never dissapoints in the graphics department

RiverBed

Banned
Capcom did great with their Frame Work engine (was that the name?). They also kept releasing great looking games throughout this generation. I have a good vibe from their next-gen engine.

Road

How did it "flop" outside of Japan? 510,000 copies in Japan vs 380,000 in the US, or 770,000 outside of Japan total?

showmethereceipts.gif

Capcom shipped 1.3 million copies worldwide, it doesn't mean all of them have been sold to consumers.

Anteater

Not saying they're actual in game (most likely just concept and scripted), but Capcom (dmc4/DD team) has always been pretty good with enemy reaction and animations:

berserkawprd.gif

counterrryzu.gif

I do note it's an anagram of "HA! I Entrap"

I'm sure it's just a coincidence :)

So the female robot might have more than just a laser in her underwear is what you're telling me

I'd be pleased as punch if this is next gen Dragon's Dogma. DD represents about the largest remaining portion of respect I have left for Capcom.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Easily my pick for game of the show - awesome graphics, great animation, and a Japanese progeny behind it. Not a fan of the whole gritty western fantasy look, but... I'll deal.

Casanova

EDIT : I quoted the wrong post at first..

Exactly! There is no justified reason that the PS4 could not handle the footage presented in this Deep Down trailer. For that reason, I believe that this is in-game footage. Especially considering the PS4's GPU is running off of 8 GB of DDR5.

Back to the OP, I think they are trying to explore the same feel one gets when playing Dark Souls/Demon Souls... "Don't die a coward" .. this shows a sure sign of them making the battles tough, and the rewards tougher. Just like in Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Also, they are doing something social with the community so that you can help each other out...

Deep Down definitely has my pick for the "best game" of the showcase.

Just noticed something cool. At the 40second mark, when they guy is walking with the torch through the cave, check out how the mud reacts when he steps on it.

Maybe someone can gif that sequence. :)

zoukka

Easily my pick for game of the show - awesome graphics, great animation, and a Japanese progeny behind it. Not a fan of the whole gritty western fantasy look, but... I'll deal.

But the japanese devs seem to be able to keep even gritty look interesting and stylized. They really have stomped western efforts in this front :b

Just noticed something cool. At the 40second mark, when they guy is walking with the torch through the cave, check out how the mud reacts when he steps on it.

All the animation in this video was outstanding. Hope it is a testament for what's to come. But yea that was a great part indeed. Love all the subtle details.

Clearly they're looking at taking the best features of Dragons Dogma, Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and smashing them together.

Better be excellent Capcom!

Stillmatic

datfootprintsdeepdownldfjr.gif

I don't think there's any screens floating around so might as well post these too, these are the cleanest caps I've been able to grab. (click for 1080p)

Also:

Spazznid

All I know is that if this lighting and animation is what's in store for us with Capcom and the inevitable Dragon's Dogma sequel, then I'll pay out of the eyeballs to play it. Even at 720p and 30fps, it would completely garble up my life.

why is the video in the OP now private?

btw.

I grabbed the video anyhow, and yeah @ 1080p .. HD.. you can really see that its NOT cg. its real time with rather apparent visual hijinks that an inengine game would present.

( in particular guy in front of fire and how it flickers off him).

Midou

Hope they learned from Dragon's Dogma and don't make it a technical mess. Though with the PS4 tech it should be okay.

ib0iyGvDyKEd1D.JPG

that last gen blur. This is what tells me its inengine. probably the most telling aspect to the video.

ibt12J9xpXDFS4.JPG

from the 1080p video. you can see that the fire/reflection on his nose is weird and when the fire starts, there is aliasing ( I met aliasing) on the nose+helm

also the rock shimmers like UE shiny surfaces do.

datfootprintsdeepdownldfjr.gif

the mud immediately bounces back with no depression or movement

still very exciting visuals.

schuey7

Amazing. On par with Infamous SS and KZ SF.

I would say it is far above them.This was THE demo that made me go "WOW" in the conference.I mean the other 2 were what I expected next gen to be initially but this was awesome and it's just the beginning.

Top Bottom