• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Is it? I'm a fan of both. While I love the Halloween episode from Season 2, one of my absolute favorites is the one with Troy's birthday. I don't get why people can't enjoy the show as a whole.

I too fall into that group, but the show by the end of season 3 seemed to have tipped in one direction over another, until the final moments where reality seemed to come back into play.

So i watched the community pilot for the first time since it was a new pilot. That is, I've never rewatched an episode of the show.

Holy shit it's a completely different tv show.

Is Britta played by a different actress? Because they're not the same person. I miss smart Britta.

Canuck76

Banned
So i watched the community pilot for the first time since it was a new pilot. That is, I've never rewatched an episode of the show.

Is Britta played by a different actress? Because they're not the same person. I miss smart Britta.

Yeah i started with s1ep5 or so. Really different. Those first few eps are totally different show, their still feeling out what the show actually is.

I think I like all 3 seasons equally. The variety just makes it better.

If they want they can always make Britta smarter again (and I think they should). If they have her end up doing something other than psychology, and turning out to be great at it, it would be easy.

Link

The Autumn Wind

If they want they can always make Britta smarter again (and I think they should). If they have her end up doing something other than psychology, and turning out to be great at it, it would be easy.
She was great at wedding planning.

She was great at wedding planning.

That's my favorite Britta. I hope they embrace her destiny in Season 4. The Britta from the pilot was incredibly unlikable, which is also apparently the feedback the producers got from test audiences. Thus she was modified a bit. She didn't really become Homer until season 3 though.

gabbo

She can still take pyschology, but it can be only a part of her characters and not it's one defining feature.

beat

That's true of almost every sitcom. First the pilot is written, then it's cast and shot, and then much later it's picked up and a writers' room is hired and collectively they start figuring out what they're good at writing and what the actors are good at playing. Scrubs' Elliot was a completely different character in that pilot from what she ended up being by halfway into the first season. Also, and they've remarked on this a few times, originally the plan was for Pierce and Troy to be a comic duo, not Troy and Abed. Things change. If anything, the show is better for being flexible enough to recognize what their strengths are rather than trying to force the original vision in the pilot.

That said, it was more like the last quarter of the first season or so for Community to dial into what Britta does that's funny.

inky

Even her voice is different in the first two episodes, she sounds smarter.

She was a whole different character, definitely not the punchline to every dumb joke she is now. Troy wasn't an 8 year old either, but that is the thing with sitcoms, characters end up transforming into the 2-3 traits fans like and they repeat themselves over and over until they hit the jokes you expect. Community just went way overboard with some of these.

big ander

Britta being gradually revealed to be stupider and Troy becoming more genuine (he both acts childish and acts adult when it's needed) are my two favorite things in the entire show.

Galang

Banned
I just started watching this show a month ago and I fell completely in love. Not much of a tv watcher and I've tried to get into a lot of shows, but this one just hits the right dynamic. I really hated the pilot, but something told me to keep watching and I'm REALLY glad I did. I just finished the third season a few days ago. I genuinely like every single character, even the ones that appear to be less popular like Shirley.

After the seemingly strange schedule for season 3, is it known if the next season is going to be the last?

gabbo

Britta being gradually revealed to be stupider and Troy becoming more genuine (he both acts childish and acts adult when it's needed) are my two favorite things in the entire show.

Britta was never that 'smart. She was well read, but very cynical and opinionated

gurudyne

She was a whole different character, definitely not the punchline to every dumb joke she is now. Troy wasn't an 8 year old either, but that is the thing with sitcoms, characters end up transforming into the 2-3 traits fans like and they repeat themselves over and over until they hit the jokes you expect. Community just went way overboard with some of these.

Troy was definitely an eight year old in the pilot, just of the chest-puffing king-of-the-hill airhead-sports-enthusiast variety instead of the gleeful whimsy variety he is now. Considering Glover's comedic style and natural charm, this is largely an improvement.

What's weird to me is that some characters became caricatures of themselves while others became more grounded or realistic as the series went on. Annie's improved over her pilot version while Britta (as a character instead of as a setup for jokes) has not. Abed sort of fluctuates depending on the needs of the script.

What's weird to me is that some characters became caricatures of themselves while others became more grounded or realistic as the series went on. Annie's improved over her pilot version while Britta (as a character instead of as a setup for jokes) has not. Abed sort of fluctuates depending on the needs of the script.
The difference has been that Annie have had episodes that gives her actions and behaviour context (and in relatable motifs and situations), whereas Britta's are still pie in the sky like ideas that we often caricatures people with/about.

beat

They did call on that, in one of the later season 3 episodes Jeff says to Britta "you seemed smart when I met you".

Seemed smart. In the pilot, it's played pretty ambiguous just how on to Jeff she is, and she definitely is fooled by his atrocious Spanish. Even when Jeff was bailing on the failing study group and Britta swoops in saying "Busted!", she's not busting him, she's saying he caught her smoking. Some of these kinds of ambiguous moments felt a little more solid in the pilot script (PDF) than in the actual show, actually.

I just started watching this show a month ago and I fell completely in love. Not much of a tv watcher and I've tried to get into a lot of shows, but this one just hits the right dynamic. I really hated the pilot, but something told me to keep watching and I'm REALLY glad I did. I just finished the third season a few days ago. I genuinely like every single character, even the ones that appear to be less popular like Shirley.

After the seemingly strange schedule for season 3, is it known if the next season is going to be the last?

We probably won't know until the ratings for this (and other NBC shows) all come in.

big ander

Chevy Chase Leaving NBC’s ‘Community’
EXCLUSIVE: Pierce Hawthorne is dropping out of Greendale Community College. After a tumultuous three-and-a-half year relationship, Chevy Chase and the producers of NBC’s cult comedy Community are parting ways by mutual agreement. Chase’s departure from the show is effective immediately. The bulk of Community‘s 13-episode fourth-season order have been filmed. Chase won’t appear in the 1 or 2 episodes that have not been shot yet.

The news of Chase’s exit from the Sony TV-produced Community hardly comes as a surprise. His return to the comedy series for Season 4 was somewhat surprising as he hinted multiple times last spring that he might leave. He has been vocal about his displeasure with the Community gig, telling The Huffington Post UK in an interview this fall, “It was a big mistake! I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want … The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.”

Then there was Chase’s public feud with show’s creator/former showrunner Dan Harmon last year, which escalated into a profanity-laced message Chase left on Harmon’s voice mail. (Harmon left the series after the end of last season.) There also have been on-set outbursts that have become a distraction for the rest of the cast and crew. They included a tirade last month, in which Chase used the N-Word. The rant was reportedly prompted by lines of dialogue he found offensive. According to people close to the actor, Chase had been increasingly frustrated and uncomfortable with the direction of his character, Pierce, who is a bigot, and had felt that the Pierce had run his course.

Chase’s departure likely won’t have as big of an impact on Community as Harmon’s exit because Pierce is a supporting character in an ensemble led by Joel McHale that has a number of standouts. The show recently got a February 7 Season 4 premiere date and is set to return to its regular Thursday 8 PM time slot. With a February start, Community is unlikely to go beyond the 13 ordered episodes this season. Chase will be in most of them, so his departure will be felt more acutely if the series gets a fifth season renewal.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I hope they go the self-aware soap opera route and get another (awesome) aging actor to play pierce from now on, and pretend like nothing's changed.

bndadm

The thing is Pierce wasn't always as extreme as he became. I can understand the actor being upset with the direction of his character, because there had been moments in Season 2 of redemption and soul.

Starting out as less a bigot and more of an antiquated social life style, he became much more aggressively bigoted. I agree now he's not as valuable to the team as before, but if they had been able to tone it down and mature the character, I think it would have been much more enjoyable.

That said, I wonder how Abed will explain the depature (Pierce's plane was shot down ala Mash, ex-wife drove a car into his house and he left ala House)?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The thing is Pierce wasn't always as extreme as he became. I can understand the actor being upset with the direction of his character, because there had been moments in Season 2 of redemption and soul.

Starting out as less a bigot and more of an antiquated social life style, he became much more aggressively bigoted. I agree now he's not as valuable to the team as before, but if they had been able to tone it down and mature the character, I think it would have been much more enjoyable.

That said, I wonder how Abed will explain the depature (Pierce's plane was shot down ala Mash, ex-wife drove a car into his house and he left ala House)?

He got lost on the bus and was never seen again.

Some of that is Chevy's own doing. He wanted Pierce to be more unlikable and the endings of the show to be less saccharine. So.... angry Pierce.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well it's good they've all been filmed (Except 2) so it won't matter in the slightest unless they somehow inexplicably get picked up for a 5th season.

I wonder what the 2 episodes are going to be about... actually, I WONDER WHAT THE OTHER 11 WILL BE ABOUT ALREADY! Well, other 10. We already have an idea of the first one. Is it October 19th yet?

Edit: DrEvil is right. I would love that idea. Especially if it was just for the 2 episodes they haven't done yet. Just don't explain it. Pretend like nothing's different. Like when Sarah Chalke took over for Lecey Goranson on Roseanne and they didn't say anything about it until years later when Lecey came back. "Where have you been?"

DO IT, COMMUNITY!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
They should somehow hire Dan Harmon to play Pierce for those two episodes.

bndadm

Some of that is Chevy's own doing. He wanted Pierce to be more unlikable and the endings of the show to be less saccharine. So.... angry Pierce.

I didn't know about him wanting Pierce to be more unlikable. Interesting. But I was aware of the way he ruined the ending to the video game episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom