• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Ugh...a yeah too late.

Last year they had to choose between the show's creator of Pierce and they kept Pierce.

Now that Dan Harmon is gone the other ahole doesn't even finish the season. Arghhhhhh it pisses me off.

zeitgeist

It sucks he couldn't stick around for 2 more episodes just to finish off the season. It makes me think something else happened on set and was the final straw.

Ugh...a yeah too late.

Last year they had to choose between the show's creator of Pierce and they kept Pierce.

Now that Dan Harmon is gone the other ahole doesn't even finish the season. Arghhhhhh it pisses me off.

Well... Harmon proved he couldn't control his workers and efficiently run a show. So... his time was probably limited anyway.

Shaneus

Pierce became a 9th level laser lotus, which has no physical form. They should just have him as a lava lamp with a post-it note that says "Pierce" on it, a la his mother.

Also, Harmon back for Community S5. Believe.

Salvadora

They need to tone Chang down for the new season but yeah, it'd be good to have him as a member of the group. Although I suppose the 'too much of a good thing' feeling could kick in.

gabbo

I can't count the reasons Pierce should stay.

(There aren't any.)

I guess there's an open spot for crazy Chang...

When used properly, he does provide quite a bit of physical comedy, and a different perspective on situations. It's when he's knowingly racist/bigoted and not inadvertently so that things become a problem.

beat

The thing is Pierce wasn't always as extreme as he became. I can understand the actor being upset with the direction of his character, because there had been moments in Season 2 of redemption and soul.
He didn't like the redemption and soul! He didn't like the bigotry either. I vaguely gather that he wanted Pierce to be a cool guy,or failing that, he really likes slapstick. Think of Pierce's bit with the ice cream machine - things like that.

Quick

Banned
I'm not usually cool with main cast members leaving their show, but Pierce has been pretty useless last season. I'm sure they can still chug along without him if a season 5 was commissioned.

Concept17

Hm. He's in every episode - including the season finale - except for the two that they haven't filmed yet. Not that big of a deal IMO. Hopefully the season finale has a good ending and the show doesn't get renewed for a fifth season.

Hopefully the show turns out better and does get renewed. When its good, its great.

black_13

Banned
That's actually sad. I don't think there's a single person on the show that I don't like. They are all funny and have their own purpose.

I like Chevy and I really wanted to like Pierce. It's a shame he was underutilized.

On another note, I powered through the first two seasons and I have the 3rd season coming from Amazon on Monday.

beat

I love the Community writers. On twitter:
Andy Bobrow @abobrow

He said he would only do this job until there was a cease-fire in Gaza.

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

Found a replacement. Pierce Hawthorne will now be played by a spinning poisonous knife machine.

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

Well we can reveal the truth now. Dan was Chevy. It was an Andy Kaufman Tony Clifton thing.

Hunter Covington @huntercovington

But I write for Chevy's character! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

Does anyone know who Pastor Fred Phelps' agent is? #chevyreplacement

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

Seeing if John McCain is available for final two.

Tim Saccardo @TimSaccardo

My very first #Community joke way back in ep201 was a Pierce gag and there have been many more since. Was a super fun character to write for

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

First Dan, now Chevy. Who's going to yell at us?!

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

In the immortal words of Chevy Chase: "Am I in this shot?"

Andy Bobrow @abobrow

Guess it's official. Pierce Hawthorne will be sorely missed. Incredible character created by a gifted hurricane of an actor.

Kill off Pierce and at the funeral introduce his long lost brother...I am sure there is some other 80s movie star in desperate need of some money. I saw Matthew Brodericl appear often on TV lately...

Kapura

Banned
Kill off Pierce and at the funeral introduce his long lost brother...I am sure there is some other 80s movie star in desperate need of some money. I saw Matthew Brodericl appear often on TV lately...

yo he already has a long lost brother. And his name is Gus Fring.

It's too bad it didn't happen when the story actually would of made a precedence for it. There was that long arc where it looked like Pierce has become nonredeemable, but then they just sort swept that away.

yo he already has a long lost brother. And his name is Gus Fring.

I am not that far into the show yet it seems. Doesn't have to be a brother - can be any crazy circumstance but without a Pierce-like character (if they continue which I hope but doubt) the show will be even harder to pull off.

V_Arnold

We need him in this show as well. Make it happen, Pierce's funeral!

TsNQV.jpg

big ander

Also, Harmon back for Community S5. Believe.
...what? do you...what?
It will be better.
I hate how we've gotten to the point in this topic where cautious uncertainty is ridiculous and blind optimism is the norm.
I... um... none of those seem to be incredibly funny, TBH. More insulting, but not at all clever or biting.
I think it is hilarious that you are taking the firing of a cast member more personally than any of the writers. How are they being insulting? The stuff about the character being fun to write for seemed genuine, and from there Bobrow just named random joke people for replacements. what in there really strikes you as mean? (correct answer should be "nothing")
We need him in this show as well. Make it happen, Pierce's funeral!

TsNQV.jpg
heh this would be great. don't see it happening, but still.

I hate how we've gotten to the point in this topic where cautious uncertainty is ridiculous and blind optimism is the norm.

Pierce has been the least interesting/entertaining character for me since they started changing him to be the villain of the show. He has occasional bright spots... but nothing that couldn't have been done by someone else.

Galang

Banned
It's too bad it didn't happen when the story actually would of made a precedence for it. There was that long arc where it looked like Pierce has become nonredeemable, but then they just sort swept that away.

So true, it would of been perfect!

big ander

Pierce has been the least interesting/entertaining character for me since they started changing him to be the villain of the show. He has occasional bright spots... but nothing that couldn't have been done by someone else.
fair enough, I guess. all I'm saying is, repeated cast and crew imbroglios aren't exactly a POSITIVE step.
So true, it would of been perfect!
okay just have to correct this one: "would of" is so wrong. when you say that in real life you are saying "would've" a contraction of "would have". "would of" makes absolutely no sense at all.

Shaneus

...what? do you...what?
Ooy0H.png

I think it is hilarious that you are taking the firing of a cast member more personally than any of the writers. How are they being insulting? The stuff about the character being fun to write for seemed genuine, and from there Bobrow just named random joke people for replacements. what in there really strikes you as mean? (correct answer should be "nothing")
What? Personally? I'm not sure where you're coming from with that one.

I just expected the comments from the writers who worked with him personally and who work on a series that has had some of the best writing in television EVER, would do more than just say "Who should we get to replace Chevy? How about the head of the Westboro church? Or a rapist or child molester or something? LOL"

If you're going to make digs at someone publicly, at least make them clever rather than just childish. Especially if you're a writer for a show like Community. Those comments sounded like the sort of thing that would've been directed toward Sheen after he left 2.5 Men... from their writers.

beat

I just expected the comments from the writers who worked with him personally and who work on a series that has had some of the best writing in television EVER, would do more than just say "Who should we get to replace Chevy? How about the head of the Westboro church? Or a rapist or child molester or something? LOL"
They're Twitter jokes; I hold those to a lower standard than a polished stand-up act.

Wasn't really that much meaner than Celebrity Pharmacology, anyways. That was a whole episode about Pierce (a) wanting to be the cool guy and (b) completely taking over the show to the frustration of everyone else and (c) being painfully unfunny to boot. So essentially Pierce as Chevy.

gabbo

I think he worked as a villain (season2) because he was exceptionally flawed and fighting against that and the group at the same time. Then that's all swept under the carpet in 2 minutes in the season premiere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Rewatching season 1....

Completely forgot that Pierce saved the study group by sleeping with the replacement Spanish teacher
I don't understand how when Chang was discovered to be a FAKE teacher, all they had to do was bring in a real one to give them an exam.

But when their Biology professor quits and disappears, even though he was a REAL teacher, they suddenly need to retake the whole class during the Summer.

Can someone explain this one? What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom