• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Anybody catch The Soup last night when Alison Brie was on?

They made a reference to the Community situation as a sorta gag but I wonder if there is any truth to this

tumblr_luw8whHwok1qcmbd6o1_500.gif

i think he's talking about mad men. it's coming back in march.

Loxley

Just watched Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, my God...Jeff playing the Dean was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time; Joel nailed it.

big ander

Anybody catch The Soup last night when Alison Brie was on?

They made a reference to the Community situation as a sorta gag but I wonder if there is any truth to this

tumblr_luw8whHwok1qcmbd6o1_500.gif
i think he's talking about mad men. it's coming back in march.
What no guys. Community is planned to come back sometime vague in march or april as a filler because that's how tv schedules work and that's the news that we've all been whining over

So on a scale of 1 - 10, what are the chances that NBC will break my heart and cancel Community?

Be brutally honest. Or am I just swept up amongst overblown panic?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Caught up with the last two episodes. I personally and very officially "DEAN" this show worthy of god-tier status. Fucking incredible.

mclem

When the last episode of this half airs, they NEED to have some sort of reference to Christmas break and have one of the characters say how it's "going to feel like forever before we see each other again". Or reference it when it comes back.

I like the whole 'episodes occur in sync with major holidays' bit, which isn't going to happen as a result of this - we're not going to get a Valentine's Day episode near the day, for instance.

Unless...

Over christmas they have to fumigate the school, or some other such macguffin. It takes six months (or whatever). The Dean, being the Dean, cheerfully runs the school over August running all the Five Dances when they should have been, just offset - so everyone's aware the Valentine's Dance is in mid-July, or whatever, but still takes it seriously.

It's just about in-character for him, and it makes sense, and it allows them to keep that continuity.

mclem

Oh god... The editing will be ridiculous. Quick cuts every half second. Thank god Abed will be there to lead us through it. Simon Pegg as art prof, Nick Frost as military history prof, Jessica Stevenson as English pro PLEASE

She's Hynes these days. And I'd have Mark Heap as rival art prof, too. Go the whole hog!

Daft_Cat

So on a scale of 1 - 10, what are the chances that NBC will break my heart and cancel Community?

9 to 11? No way.

In all honesty? 50/50. Abysmal ratings might end up shutting it down at the end of the season, but on the other hand, when it comes back during a less competitive time (spring), its performance might actually improve. Sony, motivated for different reasons then NBC, likely sees the shows popularity outside of its Nielsen ratings (taking into account cult fandom, online viewings, and critical acclaim). With that kind of show, there's a lot of potential for rerun popularity down the road. The show won't go past a fourth season though. They'll kill it for sure as soon as it breaks the syndication barrier.

TL;DR? 50 percent chance it dies at season 3. 50 percent chance it dies at season 4.

There are some really good arguments ITT if you're willing to tread back through a few pages.

eastmen

Banned
Whats the chances that Sony makes it PSN exclusive . Apprarently they want to compete with cable companys. They could offer this as an exclusive and get to their desired episode count

Blackhead

Redarse
I used the GAF downtime to catch up on Community and just hit the Abed's uncontrollable Christmas episode. WTF?! haha. I'll have to read the online discussions and critic reviews from back then. It's too clever by half.

Daft_Cat

I used the GAF downtime to catch up on Community and just hit the Abed's uncontrollable Christmas episode. WTF?! haha. I'll have to read the online discussions and critic reviews from back then. It's too clever by half.

Pretty sure it was universal raves.

That episode's a definite fan favourite.

IceCold

The only way that I see Community surviving is if fans show that they have an interested in the show on the web. Whether it is to talk about it on twitter with #Community, #sixseasonsandamovie, liking this page http://www.facebook.com/SaveCommunityTV or sending email/mail to NBC.

Unlike Arrested Development, Community has a chance to service due to social media websites and websites like Netflix which I believe count in the ratings (or at least can be used to show that people do watch the show).

The only way that I see Community surviving is if fans show that they have an interested in the show on the web. Whether it is to talk about it on twitter with #Community, #sixseasonsandamovie, liking this page http://www.facebook.com/SaveCommunityTV or sending email/mail to NBC.

Unlike Arrested Development, Community has a chance to service due to social media websites and websites like Netflix which I believe count in the ratings (or at least can be used to show that people do watch the show).

The only thing that counts in the ratings is watching the show when it airs with a Nielson box or watching the show shortly after on DVR.

Hulu helps... a bit. It doesn't give the Nielson numbers anything but just lets NBC know that you are mildly interested in the show.

So, if you have a Nielson box, watch it live.

If you have DVR, watch it there but no later than the day after it airs.

If you have neither, watch on hulu. Because that is the only way NBC knows you have an interest in the show.

Sipowicz

Banned
community has been pretty shit this season so it wont be a big loss if they cancel it

i'd hate to see it descend into simpsons like mediocrity

I can easily see this show coming back for a 4th season.

I can also easily see it being cancelled on NBC and then being saved by netflix.

Forever

Banned
community has been pretty shit this season so it wont be a big loss if they cancel it

i'd hate to see it descend into simpsons like mediocrity
How can you say this after the last episode? I don't understand.

Not to mention the timeline episode which is a strong contender for best in the series.

Jasoco

Banned
Seriously. The timeline episode. The commercial episode. Even the halloween episode have all been awesome this season. The moving episode. The gay episode. Geeze. They're all awesome. Suck it haters.

mj1108

I can easily see this show coming back for a 4th season.

I can also easily see it being cancelled on NBC and then being saved by netflix.

Having Community and Arrested Development on Netflix isn't exactly a bad thing. In fact, it would make Netflix the best "network" ever.

Quick

Banned
Could be late to the party, but whatever:

blakegriffin.jpg

Blake Griffin officially throwing support by rocking a goatee on his Twitter profile picture. I'm guessing in Evil Blake's timeline, the NBA isn't locked out.

big ander

I'm confused.

Why wouldn't it work?

Community is owned by Sony and if they really want an outlet for their show and Netflix brings in the money, why wouldn't they?
I feel like AD coming back has made people think that Netflix picking up their favorite dead shows is going to be a thing now.
AD had a legendary increase in popularity with DVD sales. Seriously, a RIDICULOUS increase in post-air popularity. It is an extreme outlier. And putting it on netflix may not even be profitable in the end, we won't know for years.
You said Netflix picking up Community was easily imaginable, but it's really not. It would have to appear to be a supremely safe investment for Netflix. They're already taking risks and piling them on in the present (assuming Community gets canceled this year) wouldn't happen. For it to be sound, it would have to hugely increase in popularity. A ton. An amazing amount. That would take time even if it were to happen at all. Then, of course, we'd have to assume that all of the cast and crew hadn't moved onto something else. I guess they could do a diminished cast, but you know none of us would like that and the creative team wouldn't like that. The creative team would have to make concessions regardless with further slashed budgets, and that could be a deal breaker. And then there's the matter of how Sony would work into the deal and how their people would view it all.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. It's theoretically possible. But it's not equally as likely as cancelation. Cancelation is orders of magnitude more likely.

I feel like AD coming back has made people think that Netflix picking up their favorite dead shows is going to be a thing now.
AD had a legendary increase in popularity with DVD sales. Seriously, a RIDICULOUS increase in post-air popularity. It is an extreme outlier. And putting it on netflix may not even be profitable in the end, we won't know for years.
You said Netflix picking up Community was easily imaginable, but it's really not. It would have to appear to be a supremely safe investment for Netflix. They're already taking risks and piling them on in the present (assuming Community gets canceled this year) wouldn't happen. For it to be sound, it would have to hugely increase in popularity. A ton. An amazing amount. That would take time even if it were to happen at all. Then, of course, we'd have to assume that all of the cast and crew hadn't moved onto something else. I guess they could do a diminished cast, but you know none of us would like that and the creative team wouldn't like that. The creative team would have to make concessions regardless with further slashed budgets, and that could be a deal breaker. And then there's the matter of how Sony would work into the deal and how their people would view it all.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. It's theoretically possible. But it's not equally as likely as cancelation. Cancelation is orders of magnitude more likely.

I guess the thing is, there isn't a clear metric for how popular community is besides the ratings. Ratings which wouldn't matter for netflix.

By most accounts, Community's audience prefers viewing the show on the internet which is netflix's thing. Sure, AD might not be obviously profitable for years, but if they can get community at a reasonable rate why wouldn't they try to make completely exclusive tv shows their draw for a few years as an experiment?

big ander

I guess the thing is, there isn't a clear metric for how popular community is besides the ratings. Ratings which wouldn't matter for netflix.

By most accounts, Community's audience prefers viewing the show on the internet which is netflix's thing. Sure, AD might not be obviously profitable for years, but if they can get community at a reasonable rate why wouldn't they try to make completely exclusive tv shows their draw for a few years as an experiment?
But those ratings do matter for Netflix. They influence whether or not Netflix would try to do the show in the first place, for one. And, while we pretend it isn't, Nielsen is at least an approximation of viewing audience. That means that less people watch Community. It's a fact, one we've known since the show began. Few people watch Community. If few people are going to watch it, they're not going to try hard to buy it.

And those "accounts" aren't anything solid. Netflix would not make a deal because of how many people on the internet say they love it but aren't counted by Nielsen. They would either look to the Nielsen ratings or look to DVD sales. In AD the DVD sales were insane and now putting it on is their experiment (combined with their other original show, can't recall the name right now). Picking up Community if it were to be canceled this year would be an altogether more risky experiment and something entirely different.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but honestly: do not consider this an actual possibility at the moment. It's just like shows switching networks, which everyone also loves to pretend is an option: for every 1 show that does it, there are a hundred that don't and just die. With netflix, for every one show it picks up after cancelation there are...every single show ever that didn't. Until Netflix figures out whether it can actually support having a show and whether it'll be profitable for them in the long run, they aren't going to buy up niche fan favorites thinking "yeah! I totally read that people liked this, it'll be pure cash!"

Well, to be clear, I never said this was a likely possibility. Just that it was a possibility. I mean who knows what netflix is planning on doing.

Also, as far as AD goes- it is hard to say how that will pan out, bringing a series that is 6 years cancelled back in a structure that does not play the the shows ensemble strengths doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. And only 10 episodes, so it would be an investment that has to pay off immediately instead of being allowed to gain viewers over a season or two.

Not to mention that, as far as I know, AD isn't shown in syndication so who knows what kind of actual ratings the show would be getting. It is hard to compare a dead show with no ratings to a living (albeit struggling one) with ratings.

AD is a big risk. Community would be a big risk, but it would be a risk that still has the writers and actors in their groove. Both have obvious advantages and disadvantages.

Not to mention, how is Netflix going to figure out if they make money from AD?

Only if subscribers rise? they have a shitload of subscribers already, how many more could AD garner for them?

ivysaur12

Banned

Well, to be clear, I never said this was a likely possibility. Just that it was a possibility. I mean who knows what netflix is planning on doing.

Also, as far as AD goes- it is hard to say how that will pan out, bringing a series that is 6 years cancelled back in a structure that does not play the the shows ensemble strengths doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. And only 10 episodes, so it would be an investment that has to pay off immediately instead of being allowed to gain viewers over a season or two.

Not to mention that, as far as I know, AD isn't shown in syndication so who knows what kind of actual ratings the show would be getting. It is hard to compare a dead show with no ratings to a living (albeit struggling one) with ratings.

AD is a big risk. Community would be a big risk, but it would be a risk that still has the writers and actors in their groove. Both have obvious advantages and disadvantages.

Not to mention, how is Netflix going to figure out if they make money from AD?

Only if subscribers rise? they have a shitload of subscribers already, how many more could AD garner for them?

It's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom