• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

Rymuth

Well, that was fun. Can't believe how much I'm enjoying this. The fight for Kirkman's soul is an interesting angle and, to the show's credit, not something I thought they'd be going for.

Aaron is my favorite character, solely for the fact that he's constantly flirting with the dark side. I mean, it's obvious he'll always be in Kirkman's corner, knowing how these writers operate, but the constant skirting of the line made him far more interesting than Emily and (until this episode at least) Kirkman.

I really like Maggie Q but this role is crap.
Yeeaaah...you can tell they're just buying time until the big reveal. Until then, she's just going to run around in circles. I would've preferred she'd knock atleast a door or two down in this eppy.

pariah164

You're not required to spoiler tag things that have aired on TV. Pretty much agreed with everything you say.

It's worth noting that in reality, a President can't actually fire a General.
Eh, I just use caution because not everyone can watch the ep when it airs.

Aaron is my favorite character, solely for the fact that he's constantly flirting with the dark side. I mean, it's obvious he'll always be in Kirkman's corner, knowing how these writers operate, but the constant skirting of the line made him far more interesting than Emily and (until this episode at least) Kirkman.
Aaron is great; for me, it's a tie between him and Seth for my favorite character, Kirkman now a very close second thanks to his actions in last night's ep.

Tugatrix

Did Kirkman just used a Son of a Bitch?

President Bauer confirmed, he stopped fucking around and started cracking necks, first the general then the governor, go president Bauer

This ep was much better than the previous 2

I like how President Bauer tried the paragon choices for a couple of episodes and learned that it didn't get him anywhere, so he's going full renegade instead.

I really like Maggie Q but this role is crap.

I hope her story arc is FBI agent behind a desk > punching bag > going rogue to find Room 105 while punching and shooting thugs.

Seeing Lara Jean Chrostecki was a treat. I hope she and Ashley Zukerman get to play a big part like the main villains, they're awesome.

sazzy

In the last episode, near the end, Aaron was handed a large orange envelope by a woman.

What became of that?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I agree with this, if only because I was in the same boat.
Shit gets real.
I loved this last episode. It was really everything I wanted to seee from this show. Hard choices and no patently awful side plots.

Kind of groaning at the sudden paternity subplot. Also, the forced "we can't trust anyone" meaning characters that badly need the information won't get it.

No new episode next week either?

Tapejara

Another great episode this week! Really worried that Kirkman is going to give MacLeish the vice presidency before Wells can expose him.

Edit: oh yeah, that paternity plot. Ugh. Hopefully they'll get it over with quickly like they did with the drug dealing stuff.

Another great episode this week! Really worried that Kirkman is going to give MacLeish the vice presidency before Wells can expose him.

Edit: oh yeah, that paternity plot. Ugh. Hopefully they'll get it over with quickly like they did with the drug dealing stuff.

Agreed on both of these with you guys, otherwise really good episode.

The vice president thing is kinda forced but yeah it's admittedly a good hook for a race against time, but yeah the paternity plot, didn't need that.

Kind of groaning at the sudden paternity subplot. Also, the forced "we can't trust anyone" meaning characters that badly need the information won't get it.

No new episode next week either?

Yeah, 2 weeks again sucks, damn.

Yeah, I mean you gotta at least give that info directly to Kirkman since the guy is right next to him, can even get him in private, and could theoretically do anything. Especially if you've done your digging and investigating on Kirkman to consider him being clean and relatively fine with him being president.

Kephar

Pretty obvious MacLeish is a red herring. I'm pretty sure the congresswoman is in on the plot.

Pretty obvious MacLeish is a red herring. I'm pretty sure the congresswoman is in on the plot.

Yeah or maybe both. She did weirdly call him over to speak with her on their way out of the office.

Whether it's both or just her, she's a slimy piece of work.

Tapejara

Yeah or maybe both. She did weirdly call him over to speak with her on their way out of the office.

Whether it's both or just her, she's a slimy piece of work.

If we're following the 24 format, then yeah MacLeish is definitely the bad guy of the first half. I'm not 100% convinced that Hookstraten is in on it. They're definitely presenting it as a possibility; her wanting Agent Wells to keep her informed could be so she can keep tabs on anyone suspecting her, but I also think it's just as likely she's playing a political game. Plus, it seems a bit too obvious. I'd say the FBI director is the more likely culprit, but I'm only basing that off years of 24 :p.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of course they had to have a DAMNIT in there.

Also, I hope the twist is that Bauer is behind it all and he actually wanted to become the president. Maybe the twist will be he finds a way to kill that congresswoman and makes his heel turn, smiling at her as she realizes what he is right before she dies. lol

Kadin

Another great episode for me. A couple parts here and there were a little off but small enough to not even mention. I am a little concerned that the head FBI guy was so worried though...

Giolon

This is the most unoriginal, and most cynically produced scripted show on TV. And yet, I can't help but really enjoy it each time I'm watching it. It makes me feel guilty for watching and liking it. 24 x West Wing + a dash of CSI just works...I hope they can keep it up.

MrMephistoX

Agreed on both of these with you guys, otherwise really good episode.

The vice president thing is kinda forced but yeah it's admittedly a good hook for a race against time, but yeah the paternity plot, didn't need that.

Yeah, 2 weeks again sucks, damn.

Yeah, I mean you gotta at least give that info directly to Kirkman since the guy is right next to him, can even get him in private, and could theoretically do anything. Especially if you've done your digging and investigating on Kirkman to consider him being clean and relatively fine with him being president.

Great episode...I can't help but think the two week gaps are a marketing strategy. Last week it was the debate and next time it will be the day after the election so what better time to tune into the President America deserves?

Of course they had to have a DAMNIT in there.

Also, I hope the twist is that Bauer is behind it all and he actually wanted to become the president. Maybe the twist will be he finds a way to kill that congresswoman and makes his heel turn, smiling at her as she realizes what he is right before she dies. lol

PALPATINE'S BEHIND IT ALL!

*ahem*

Suddenly felt the urge to say that. Carry on.

Kifimbo

The "don't tell anyone" part doesn't make sense investigation-wise. There is no reason to believe any of their superiors/colleagues in the FBI (or any other agency) is involved. Either Jason (Maggie Q boss) has something to hide, or this is just a poorly written way for Maggie Q to be blame later on when she'll talk to Kimble about her discovery, and we all find out Kimble is deeply involved.

RS4-

It's not Macleish, it's Bauers kid. She's the bomber.

But really, it's Italia Ricci who is colluding with daddy prisoner. The true twist is neither of the kids are Bauers.

sazzy

I don't think Macleish is knowingly involved.

We have 2 designated survivors already.

What if Macleish is the THIRD designated survivor - not appointed by either party or the government - but whoever is pulling the strings in this whole affair?

I watched this episode after the new FBI/Clinton email bomb dropped - and honestly, the episode kind of felt flat lol

Jack Bauer as president of America is the kind of escapism I need right now

designatedSurvivorComicCo.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just watched something snap in Kirkman's head when that governor accused him of firing people who disagree with him, LoL

That "I think I made a huge mistake" look on her face lol.

Holy shit, nice speech Aaron.
His old shit better have been a red-herring, this is too good.

pariah164

Ah, it's good to have DS back on TV.

- What a fucked up choice. That was some bullshit. What the fuck, governor-type people?! I knew he'd come out on the losing end of a difficult choice eventually, but damn, that one?
- Of course the bitch who started it all is the one from my state. Fucking aye.
- Aaron once again shows why he's my favorite character on the show. I hope none of that speech was a lie, because it was damn good.
- So the FBI Side-B plot is finally edging to mesh with the main story. About time; it's finally starting to go somewhere.
- I don't trust MacLeish as far as I can throw him. He's shady AF and I hope Maggie Q and Co. can burn that bridge into the ground.
- And the terrible paternity subplot pops up again. Seriously, can we just kill that storyline, bury it in cement, then hurl it into the Bermuda Triangle? It's cliche, it's dumb, I hate it so fucking much.

Good episode. And needed, although a bit close to home. The MacLeish plotline is a bit on the obvious side, with a race for the FBI to find evidence vs. MacLeish getting sworn in as VP. Once he's VP, the fox is in the henhouse.

I'm not a big fan of how Kirkman's wife often reacts in this Stepford wife kind of way to Jack's problems. He asked her to handle something very close to her heart and then sabotages her and goes against her ideals. A couple hours later she's got puppy eyes for him again. It feels really fake. But the whole situation seemed contrived. The public would never allow governors to get in the way of putting a House and Senate back together.

Top Bottom