• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Banned
Hi, first post.

It's disappointing that a company that a company who had their big breakthrough from a launch title is releasing this game on current gen consoles. Only reason I can think of is for a bigger market. This game should really only be in development for next gen systems and focus on making a behemoth of a game rather than cross-generational. If it doesn't come out on next gen systems, I will probably skip as well.

this would be a major waste on next-gen consoles. if they're gonna try to spin this into a major franchise than it needs to be on PS3/360/PC, otherwise they'll be spending 2-3 iterations trying to push this game into the mindshare of the mass market, if it's not overlooked completely

Boss Man

Man, I always had this way in the back of my mind because it's Bungie and they're attempting something big here...but never really got pumped about it. This little introduction to what they've got going on has reminded me that it's BUNGIE and they're attempting something big here. Color me interested.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
Hi, first post.

It's disappointing that a company that a company who had their big breakthrough from a launch title is releasing this game on current gen consoles. Only reason I can think of is for a bigger market. This game should really only be in development for next gen systems and focus on making a behemoth of a game rather than cross-generational. If it doesn't come out on next gen systems, I will probably skip as well.
Perhaps they'll release on both consoles like Twilight Princess did.

feel

Damn, no PC version alongside the other versions is a bummer, this deserves to be played at more than 30fps. Still day one purchase no questions asked on consoles though.

levyjl1988

Banned
I don't understand the announcement of preordering a game when:

1) No CE announced, when you preorder you are relegated tot he standard edition, which won't sell out, especially coming from Bungie/Activsion.

2) No preorder bonus incentives announced.

3) Any why drop down a deposit to a store, it's like giving them money and not charging interest.

Alex

Eh. There's really not enough to judge it by yet, but what there is seems to suffer from the same problem as Fuse: it looks like everything that's already out there and nothing new. But art direction has always been one of Bungie's weak points.

Man, I don't even like Halo, but what the fuck? Bungie has some of the best art design in this industry. Wonderfully creative, vivid stuff. I don't have a lot of interest in an MMOFPS on a console but the promo work alone has pretty fantastic.

orznge

Banned
Damn, no PC version alongside the other versions is a bummer, this deserves to be played at more than 30fps. Still day one purchase no questions asked on consoles though.

I wouldn't be surprised if each PC release in the series only came out after the subsequent title in the series was released on consoles

Gorillaz

If I understand the leaked documents correctly, this could be a 720 exclusive I think (while also being out for the 360 and PS3).

image.php

Why didn't you do something about it Kaz? How did you let this happen?

GavinGT

Banned
Hi, first post.

Publishers like to make money. It makes far more sense to make the game available on two platforms comprising 150 million users than to keep it exclusive to two unproven platforms with zero userbase.

RPGamer92

Banned
I think it's a weird thing to advertise with. Publishers don't have much effect on a game, so why would a specific publisher be a selling point? Or are they banking on the general audience not knowing the difference between developers and publishers?

I wasn't trying to rip on CoD or anything, I guess I made it look like that.
Also if they can do the "from the publisher of COD", why not add "from the publishers of WOW" as well.

glaurung

Does not look particularly thrilling at this juncture. The deliberate minimalist cryptic nonsense failed with Halo and was one of the biggest disappointments for me back with Reach and H3.

Plus the fact that four-armed aliens are stupid fucking design.

But I will remain cautious until I see what all the hubbub is really aboot.

Himself

I don't even like Halo, but what the fuck? Bungie has some of the best art design in this industry.

I replayed Halo and Halo 2 late last year and can't recall one interesting environment. I remember tons of gray hallways and lots of open space with green grass. The enemies are OK I suppose, but not very memorable. Master Chief in his green steelplated football uniform also does nothing for me. Maybe the art direction gets better on the 360 games, but I honestly lost interest and didn't bother replaying them. I don't play Halo for the art direction or story or setting (all lame IMO), I play for the AI...more or less.

Dahbomb

Also if they can do the "from the publisher of COD", why not add "from the publishers of WOW" as well.
Not really going for that demography, they want the console shooter crowd. Although it wouldn't hurt them to add both.

"From the publishers of COD, WoW and Starcraft 2"

Boss Man

Plus the fact that four-armed aliens are stupid fucking design.
When our four-armed alien overlords return to Earth you are going to have to answer to them for this.

I replayed Halo and Halo 2 late last year and can't recall one interesting environment. I remember tons of gray hallways and lots of open space with green grass. The enemies are OK I suppose, but not very memorable. Master Chief in his green steelplated football uniform also does nothing for me. Maybe the art direction gets better on the 360 games, but I honestly lost interest and didn't bother replaying them. I don't play Halo for the art direction or story or setting (all lame IMO), I play for the AI...more or less.
He's probably talking about the minimalist logos and shit that they create. Those are pretty neat.

DJ88

I don't think I've ever disagreed with someone more in my life.

Himself

When our four-armed alien overlords return to Earth you are going to have to answer to them for this.

He's probably talking about the minimalist logos and shit that they create. Those are pretty neat.

I hope they manage to keep this cover art in the final package. It's definitely slick.

GavinGT

Banned

It's like if a preview for a new action movie advertised that it was "From the producers of Star Wars....and Maid in Manhattan".

Boss Man

It's like if a preview for a new action movie advertised that it was "From the producers of Star Wars....and Maid in Manhattan".
Can't wait until I'm forced to watch a cut scene from the next upcoming Final Fantasy game and persuaded to try the latest flavor of Doritos potato chips while Donkey Kong loads.

The floor is sticky too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Timed exclusive for Microsoft. Doesn't seem that way from this leak.
There was never an implication of this being a timed exclusive on current gen consoles.

Also lol @ people in this thread getting upset it's only announced for consoles and not for consoles that don't officially exist yet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
is the vidoc rumored or confirmed and is that all we'll get this Sunday?

Here's to hoping said vidoc is as long as their last one. :p

Bsigg12

is the vidoc rumored or confirmed and is that all we'll get this Sunday?

Here's to hoping said vidoc is as long as their last one. :p

Confirmed by Ryan McCaffery from IGN on his twitter. Sorry if I mis-spelled his name, but 10am PST is when it sounds like IGN will have it.

Shadders

...redefined.

I must know.

Also, a much forgotten fact about Destiny is that it will (most likely) have a beta.

It's funny, how often do we hear a dev say they're "redefining" something? It's always bullshit.

But when Bungie say it. OOOOooooo shiiiiiiit!

If I understand the leaked documents correctly, this could be a 720 exclusive I think (while also being out for the 360 and PS3).

If there's one thing we've learnt today it's that the leaked documents were innacurate/outdated. Something that many here (myself included) have been saying since they leaked. I'd be willing to put money on it being on PS4 on the same day (or before, depending on their respective launch dates) as next Xbox.

Squire

Banned
There was never an implication of this being a timed exclusive on current gen consoles.

Also lol @ people in this thread getting upset it's only announced for consoles and not for consoles that don't officially exist yet.

Seriously. Some posts have a hilarious lack of perspective.

JCreasy

So wait, will this be next gen?

I'll be disappointed if it's not on PS4.

I've already got next-gen-itus. The last games I'm playing from this gen are MGS:R, Bioshock Infinite, GOW: Ascension and Last of Us. That's it. I'm going full next-gen after that . . .

Karak

Ya...that does seem odd. Maybe people thought or hoped they would be stupid and slip up. Or something :/

"From the creators of ONI and the producers of Time Commando"

Extremly disappointed that this is for current gen consoles. I'm not buying this crap.

Stark

Banned
Microsoft are going to need to show at least something to keep 360 gamers happy this E3, and I don't think it's a long shot to suggest Destiny will take up the majority of that.

Maybe things have changed though with the exclusivity deal! Activision are pretty loved up with MS after how successful it's been for them with Call of Duty so the odds of some kind of exclusivity is pretty high.

That contract can be ignored for now platform wise.

And the best/worst thing they'll do is, Destiny is better with Kinect 2.

DocSeuss

Durango as 'next-gen' exclusive does make some sense to me. Locking down a huge franchise like this for a year on one system would be very expensive, MS would need to compensate Acti for at least three or four million copies, which is basically a hundred million dollars. But to compensate for the very small amount of people who would only buy PS4 versions? That's got to be very reasonable, and it'd connect the franchise with their platform for the whole generation.

Um.

Consider this:

To win their freedom, Bungie had to agree to allow their first non-MS game to be a timed exclusive.

∀ Narayan;47778806 said:
The design of those Fallen remind me of the Pfhor from Marathon.

HNNNRGGHNNN

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That contract can be ignored for now platform wise.

And the best/worst thing they'll do is, Destiny is better with Kinect 2.
Why can it be ignored? Everything we know thus far is consistent with the contract.

I think people are putting way too much stake into it being radically changed over time. The only thing I can see happening is the addition of a PS4 release, but I think that's highly unlikely considering MS still has stake in Bungie and is probably more willing to shell out money for an exclusive from Bungie. The date of the contract also precedes when Bungie started aggressively hiring PS3 engineers, etc.

Stark

Banned
Why can it be ignored? Everything we know thus far is consistent with the contract.

I think people are putting way too much stake into it being radically changed over time. The only thing I can see happening is the addition of a PS4 release, but I think that's highly unlikely considering MS still has stake in Bungie and is probably more willing to shell out money for an exclusive from Bungie. The date of the contract also precedes when Bungie started aggressively hiring PS3 engineers, etc.

There's a lot of things going against what you're suggesting though just from their website alone. Exclusive? I highly doubt it when this was to get away from that, imo.

And it happens a lot with deals, that's why. Heck, stuff changes within a year.

imotep

Neo Member
Bungie hasn't let me down before so I'm definitely interested. That being said I have my fingers crossed for a PC release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom