• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drencrom

A slightly better resolution of the Playstation 3 box art:

52020_jaqr_project_ti1blb9.jpg

Bungie on Playstation

This is a bizarre sight

Kinda worried about the "always connected" bit. I dont want this to be an MMO. I think Bungle make great SP games and would much rather have them do a proper campaign.

However if its something like the "always connected" elements of DeS/DaS where offline play is still very much worth it then it could be fun.

sp3000

No, but considering PS2 is totally free while Destiny is likely to have a box purchase and then a sub fee it's going to be pretty hard to beat.

If they try to compete with it directly it will be difficult.

Planetside will also be releasing for PS4 so it likely to look much better than Destiny as well.

You can't really do a proper MMOFPS with 512mb of RAM.

diamount

Banned

Planetside will also be releasing for PS4 so it likely to look much better than Destiny as well.

PS4 does sound like a logical choice but I don't remember SOE every confirming a console release.

Portugeezer

I am interested but it sounds online focussed (with probably a short but good campaign), I will probably skip it if that's the case.

Zeth

At first I didn't buy the "orange and blue boxart" thing, but now I'm realizing it's very real and it's everywhere. Is this really the result of mass focus group testing? What the f?

Gorillaz

PS4 does sound like a logical choice but I don't remember SOE every confirming a console release.
They hinted at Planetside being on PS4 a few times in the past couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised since it was originally meant to be a PS3 game as well? Might be wrong.

So bungie doesn't have as much competition if they are going that route.

diamount

Banned
They hinted at Planetside being on PS4 a few times in the past couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised since it was originally meant to be a PS3 game as well? Might be wrong.

So bungie doesn't have as much competition if they are going that route.

If PS2 remains as it is like on PC then it could work. If they were both for purchase then they would be cannibalizing their license fee as people would be conflicted on what to buy if they are quite similar to each other.

Mifune

Mehmber
I would say there's a better chance that the first game is on no next-gen systems than it's Durango exclusive.

I wonder if there will be a sub fee of some sort? I imagine the game will be a base cost, and obviously will require Gold on the Xbox side of things, but... I think the sustain model will be interesting, here. Microtransactions, "milestone" universe-expanding DLC/content expansion packs (Comet?). I half wonder if each Destiny sequel will simply add to the universe/world rather than be treated traditionally as a "new" game. Obviously each mainline release will need to be standalone in some way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a more MMO-like model for the actual expansion of the content. ie: Destiny 1 release, followed by Content Pack 1 a year later, followed by Destiny 2 (full on "expansion" pack with new worlds/locations like WoW Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Liche King, etc?), Comet 2, Destiny 3, Comet 3, Destiny 4 and Comet 4, with microtransactions interspersed for people who like that sort of thing.

I don't think Destiny will be competing against Planetside 2; they seem like completely different games. I haven't played Planetside 2, but from what I've seen and heard, it's essentially a massive(up to 2000) multiplayer match. Based on what we've heard about Destiny, it seems like it'll be an online game with MMO elements with a focus on social/co-op, with some form of competitive multiplayer included.

If I'm not mistaken, Planetside 2 doesn't have any social/co-op elements, and it sounds like Destiny is going to have smaller, more focused multiplayer matches.

Karak

I don't know if people are more pissed off of it being multiplat or it being on this gen hardware. Either way it makes sense business wise since install base is always highgest at the end of a gen.

Ahh. I just go on whatever that doc says for now. Thats about all that there is.

RoKKeR

At first I didn't buy the "orange and blue boxart" thing, but now I'm realizing it's very real and it's everywhere. Is this really the result of mass focus group testing? What the f?
Would you rather them invert the color of the sun and the earth?

TheOddOne

I wonder if there will be a sub fee of some sort? I imagine the game will be a base cost, and obviously will require Gold on the Xbox side of things, but... I think the sustain model will be interesting, here. Microtransactions, "milestone" universe-expanding DLC/content expansion packs (Comet?). I half wonder if each Destiny sequel will simply add to the universe/world rather than be treated traditionally as a "new" game. Obviously each mainline release will need to be standalone in some way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a more MMO-like model for the actual expansion of the content. ie: Destiny 1 release, followed by Content Pack 1 a year later, followed by Destiny 2 (full on "expansion" pack with new worlds/locations like WoW Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Liche King, etc?), Comet 2, Destiny 3, Comet 3, Destiny 4 and Comet 4, with microtransactions interspersed for people who like that sort of thing.
F2P system would work.

duckroll

Kinda worried about the "always connected" bit. I dont want this to be an MMO. I think Bungle make great SP games and would much rather have them do a proper campaign.

However if its something like the "always connected" elements of DeS/DaS where offline play is still very much worth it then it could be fun.

I think this is almost certainly some sort of "MMO" in the sense that is an online only massively multiplayer game. That does not mean it doesn't have a proper campaign though. Pretty much all MMOs do, and some of them have strong stories too. I do not expect there to be any offline play at all, but we'll see.

I don't think there'll be a subscription fee though. GW2 format seems to be the way to go, especially since they already have expansions planned.

Woorloog

Banned
I've been guessing that Destiny will have some sort metagame system, everything you do counts towards something. You know, people achieve enough goals and next set of goals and content is openend?

Any sub based game being released now is being sent out to die, that will not happen.

Yeah, I elaborated on what I meant in my post. It doesn't necessarily have to mean it has to be monthly, or even recurring. It's all about investment. There's little difference between paying for Gold (if on Xbox), and buying yearly expansion content, versus paying a sub-fee (see: "Season Pass") and receiving the content as it's released at a discount.

I agree that having a monthly recurring fee (outside of Gold and WoW) is going to be anywhere successful for them, and I highly doubt that's going to be the sustain model they go with. I'm guessing base game cost, with "F2P" and MMO-like elements.

What the Hell? I can't wrap my head round this...

I play on PC mainly, my interest in console fps's are limited. I want to see the power of the new gen of systems. I've seen enough FPS's on ps3 to last me a lifetime.

The difference between this and last of us or other really cool stuff coming out for current gen is that we probably won't get our hands on Destiny until next gen systems are right around the corner. That is why my enthusiasm for this game dropped so much.

I hope we get confirmation of next gen versions of this game but will still buy if only current gen

I expect hints, but nothing concrete. Neither Sony nor MS have officially acknowledged that their systems even exist yet, let alone which games will be releasing for their systems.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they showed off their next-gen versions running on a high-end PC. It's going to be interesting which versions they show off. It may even make sense to show off current-gen versions now, and wait until E3 to show how much better the next-gen version is from what we'll see on Sunday (giving people a reason to upgrade).

I play on PC mainly, my interest in console fps's are limited. I want to see the power of the new gen of systems. I've seen enough FPS's on ps3 to last me a lifetime.

The difference between this and last of us or other really cool stuff coming out for current gen is that we probably won't get our hands on Destiny until next gen systems are right around the corner. That is why my enthusiasm for this game dropped so much.

Hey, that is all totally understandble.

I willl say though, Bungie has the capability to do some fricken amazing things, and once you see the game, you may change that view.

Of course the game could be annouced and look shitty as hell, that's a possibility too.

I guess I'm saying, there's no harm in being skeptical, but don't write it off yet :).

I expect hints, but nothing concrete. Neither Sony nor MS have officially acknowledged that their systems even exist yet, let alone which games will be releasing for their systems.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they showed off their next-gen versions running on a high-end PC. It's going to be interesting which versions they show off. It may even make sense to show off current-gen versions now, and wait until E3 to show how much better the next-gen version is from what we'll see on Sunday (giving people a reason to upgrade).

Cross-play! If I buy the current-gen version, I get the next gen version of the game for free (lol), or at a discount. I'd be down for that for sure.

Cross-play! If I buy the current-gen version, I get the next gen version of the game for free (lol), or at a discount. I'd be down for that for sure.

That would be nice, but I doubt it. Why even bother playing the current-gen version if you're going to get the next-gen version? It may help if you're going to transition but don't want to buy a console, but I'm sure Activision would rather just have you buy the game twice.

But this just made me wonder... They're going to be advertising an always-connected universe... I wonder if that is going to be a single, cross-platform universe in any way?

If the whole game is competitive MP, I have very little interest. Maybe at least there will be bots.

Edit: story and co op too? Ok I'm in.

Edit: oh it's some weird blend of all three? Now I don't know what to think.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Villians look like Hunters. And from all the descriptions I hope to god this does not turn out like MAG or Dust 514 while those games had great ambition the graphics and gameplay werent very good. I would rather have smaller encounters with steady frames and better graphics than more people in a game. If they can achieve both that would be ideal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"From the creators of Halo,
and the publisher of Call of Duty."

That is a loaded marketing phrase.

Spawnling

bungie-pro.jpg

Bungie has confirmed that Bungie Pro is returning. But this is optional, an "add on" service if you will. Only a start to "micro-transaction" service, at least on bungie.net. I imagine Bungie Pro will also affect some in game maneuvers as well this time around, just like adding the 24 slot fileshare in Halo 3/Reach.

Toa TAK

Banned
bungie-pro.jpg

Bungie has confirmed that Bungie Pro is returning. But this is optional, an "add on" service if you will. Only a start to "micro-transaction" service, at least on bungie.net. I imagine Bungie Pro will also affect some in game maneuvers as well this time around, just like adding the 24 slot fileshare in Halo 3/Reach.

I'll be back on Bungie Pro. I was sad to see it go during the Great Migration.

bungie-pro.jpg

I'm all over it. Damn great service.

Spawnling

These were the last words regarding Bungie Pro. Sawnose mentions it will be coming back in a new form with awesome features. Also, those of us that already used it in it's past version, will get something awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom