• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Red Bull codes apparently had a ton of them compromised. The legend grows.

doomquake

Sorry Bungie and Destiny, I love the game but sounds like the ball has really been dropped ever since the Taken King was announced.

House of Wolves redeemed a lot of fans for you. But, the issues with the CE of Taken King, $20 armor shaders, and now a simple formula for Red Bull codes, it's going to be tough for you guys to dig yourself out of your current hole.

c5ccda289dc88dbcb8c5b72a13da568b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJelEXaPhJ8
thread ost

SerTapTap

I hope so cuz that would be hilarious .... why would people put in multiple codes anyway? Isn't it for shaders and crap like that?

Wouldn't even waste my time scamming a free code, its worth less than the actual 5 minutes required to do it.

It has a consumable XP boost too, to encourage people to buy more than one can. So yeah, they encouraged people to use multiple codes (they just thought they would be legit codes)

ninjabat

Activision should just give the dlc away for free now. Only way to fix this for those who actually bought cans and had used codes.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Sorry Bungie and Destiny, I love the game but sounds like the ball has really been dropped ever since the Taken King was announced.

House of Wolves redeemed a lot of fans for you. But, the issues with the CE of Taken King, $20 armor shaders, and now a simple formula for Red Bull codes, it's going to be tough for you guys to dig yourself out of your current hole.

Uh isn't Destiny consistently among the top played console games, even 10 months after launch

I think Bungie will be fine

It was a code that used 2 specific letters in every one and then a 6 digit combination of 3 letters. It was ridiculously simple. Their own fault.

How does that excuse people stealing? I don't understand why some people are placing the blame on redbull instead of those who are taking something without paying for it.

explodet

When your code's complexity is on par with using "1234" for your luggage, you're bound to screw up
When I read the thread and saw how complex the codes they were using, I immediately thought the same thing.

Bt_LwcdIIAApzI4.jpg

Glad to see I wasn't alone.

What was Red Bull expecting? I mean if your code can literally be guessed by punching in a simple combo of letters and numbers, then the code is way too simple. But even though the code was easy to guess, people really shouldn't have been distributing these to the extent that they were.

mclem

They really should have given up on the idea of hiding the code under the can's tab. Only having 8 characters obviously made the keys much easier to crack but you can't fit more than 8 characters in that small little spot in the tab.

Not sure where else you can hide a number on a can such that it's not visible from someone inspecting it in a store.

Carl

How does that excuse people stealing? I don't understand why some people are placing the blame on redbull instead of those who are taking something without paying for it.

It's like people that use Password as their password. It doesn't make it okay to log into their account, but it means it's their own fault for making that their password

pastrami

Uh, are people really defending this?

"If game X didn't want me to download it for free, they should have put DRM on it."

100% the company's fault...

Eh, you run into the question of just because there is a loop hole is it ethical to take advantage of it?

I'm not here to condemn anyone and for sure Red Bull / Bungie should have used a more secure method, but on a personal level I could never take advantage of a situation like this because I know I would be screwing someone else who is trying to do this legitimate.

No one's saying it excuses, but don't complain that people are stealing codes when you didn't even try to make them secure to the point people can guess the damn things

shanafan

Uh isn't Destiny consistently among the top played console games, even 10 months after launch

I think Bungie will be fine

Yeah, the game will still be fine, and I will continue to play and pick up Taken King, but it just has been getting bad press left and right. Like to see some good news come their way!

Is it 100% a homeowner's fault that somebody sprays Dickbutt on their house because the side of their house is flat?

I think it's more akin to saying is it a homeowner's fault for being robbed if they left their door unlocked? No, but it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.

Lol fuck Red Bull, Destiny and Activision. They deserve this shit –– and those trying to buy Red Bull for these stupid codes should spend their money elsewhere.

New002

This is what some people were saying would happen in that GAF thread if I recall correctly. Bummer all around.

Occam

Store exclusive DLC is BS anyway. For instance, how were non-Americans with US-accounts supposed to get it? If the result of this is Bungie having to give out the DLC to everyone, then everybody wins.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure someone thought it was clever to use 3, 4, and 7 because Bungie is obsessed with those numbers. But that really bit them in the butt.

doomquake

Store exclusive DLC is BS anyway. If the result of this is Bungie having to give out the DLC to everyone, then everybody wins.

why would you give out free DLC if Destiny Consumers are used to paying a premium for their content?

I'm sure someone thought it was clever to use 3, 4, and 7 because Bungie is obsessed with those numbers. But that really bit them in the butt.

if any effort went into this whole promotion deal and there was money involved, and i worked there, I would be severely pissed at this major numskull technical fail

SerTapTap

Store exclusive DLC is BS anyway. For instance, how were non-Americans with US-accounts supposed to get it? If the result of this is Bungie having to give out the DLC to everyone, then everybody wins.

While I do hate this style of promotion, IIRC the locked mission will be available to everyone after it ends, so it's more like time exclusive

This thred is making me sad. People: stealing is stealing, it doesn't matter if the door was unlocked or wide open, it's still stealing. For shame, GAF.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The code being simple doesn't justify using a code that you know will take it away from someone who actually bought the product. It's a whole different spectrum from MS or Sony Store pricing mistakes.

sensui-tomo

so as a non-Destiny player: is the content worth it?

Get a mission taken out of the new $40 expansion when you buy a Red bull, until the timed exclusive is done. Does it sound worth it?
Not condoning the people who exploited it, but some blame does go towards the promoters due to how easy they made the system. Its like not blaming the house owner for leaving a key under a rug when he/she gets robbed, aka You dun goofed.(basically they should have done a more secure method, but the majority of the blame lies with exploiters, small blame with promotion)

Primus

Not sure where else you can hide a number on a can such that it's not visible from someone inspecting it in a store.

Used to be those codes were printed on the inside bottom of the can, so you had to open up the can and drink the entire product to see it.

sjay1994

In before the defense force.

What a mess from everyone's side.

I like the gunplay and co op mechanics.

I fucking hate almost everything else. I can't defend this game, or its shitty practices. But I will probably end up buying the taken king because bungie has essentially addicted me to drugs, to a point where I get withdrawals from not playing it for a month, despite trying my hardest to quit it.

And the fact I can see the behavioral psychology they applied to the games design, from how you never know when your next progression begins, the fact the loot earning sounds are pleasurable, and getting a critical on the enemies provides great feedback back to the player infuriates me to no end because its working on me. And I fucking hate myself.

doomquake

oh they fucked up the post master too

Bungie warns that users should use caution to not redeem to many codes: if your inventory at the Postmaster becomes full, redeeming more codes may delete some items from the Postmaster.

Yes, redeeming multiple Red Bull Quest codes at one time can cause issues with the Postmaster. If the inbox is full when a code is redeemed, an item currently in the inbox could be deleted to make room. This could be an existing item or a Focused Light consumable redeemed earlier in your session. As a workaround, we recommend redeeming Red Bull Quest codes in small batches, accepting them from the Postmaster in-game before redeeming additional codes.

OptimusLime

This is a shitstorm from all angles and I'm sorry, but is a joy to watch as someone not invested in this game.

I was just thinking the same thing. I bought this game when it came out, beat the boring campaign, and traded it back in for $35 and have largely ignored it. But it seems every few weeks there is a massive uprising over something that brings out the defense force and the hatred. Both sides are always pretty mad haha!

What is it about this game that makes it so divisive?

The code being simple doesn't justify using a code that you know will take it away from someone who actually bought the product. It's a whole different spectrum from MS or Sony Store pricing mistakes.
I wonder where was this line of thought when Sony got hacked?

Not that I condone using other's codes by any means by the way, just curious as to where the "don't blame the company" line is

Top Bottom