• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Red Bull codes apparently had a ton of them compromised. The legend grows.

Sorry Bungie and Destiny, I love the game but sounds like the ball has really been dropped ever since the Taken King was announced.

House of Wolves redeemed a lot of fans for you. But, the issues with the CE of Taken King, $20 armor shaders, and now a simple formula for Red Bull codes, it's going to be tough for you guys to dig yourself out of your current hole.

c5ccda289dc88dbcb8c5b72a13da568b.jpg

Who are you talking too?

This thread i about a simple promotion ruined by scammers that only hut RB's legitimate customers.

Go to the OT to bitch.

ps3ud0

I just love the fact that Bungie thought it was ok to delay these rewards for every single non-US player because of partnering with Red Bull.

Deserve the negativity surrounding this because zero fucks were given to a large proportion of their player base

ps3ud0 8)

sensui-tomo

So what exactly does the Red Bull code even give you?

xp boost, some shader/cosmetic thingy/ a quest locked to this red bull from the new $40 expansion , you know that one full of quests/raids/stuff except "give more money to access all content" until promotional deal is done.
Again, people dont forget people did this same exploit with club nintendo with Wii-minis and it was done here in gaf with people explaining how to do it.

shanafan

Who are you talking too?

This what a simple promotion ruined by scammers that only hut RB's legitimate customers.

Go to the OT to bitch.

I am not trying to bitch, I am just referring to the amount of bad press coming their way. I play Destiny, and I love the game, but unfortunately, it has been a very tough time for them since Taken King was announced. That's all ;)

Lothars

you forgot the 3rd layer - its limited to USA only 7-11s
Nope North American 7-11 at least but not that it's any less stupid. I am just dissapointed at all the people okay with stealing codes and saying it's okay because they don't agree with the promotion.

jWILL253

Banned
This is just hilarious.

From the whole promotion itself, to this particular ordeal, everything has just been fuck up after fuck up.

Pack it up, Bungie.

Timed exclusive mission.

So basically a mission that will be unlocked when The Taken King is released? Glad it wasn't some mission that you could only get from this, I hate Red Bull so much.

Although...the shaders would be nice. Will wait to see how Bungie handles this, since there's absolutely no way I'm buying Red Bull risking the code not working at this point.

sensui-tomo

So basically a mission that will be unlocked when The Taken King is released? Glad it wasn't some mission that you could only get from this, I hate Red Bull so much.

Although...the shaders would be nice. Will wait to see how Bungie handles this, since there's absolutely no way I'm buying Red Bull risking the code not working at this point.

no no no, its a mission In the Taken king restricted to those who dont buy red bull
Go buy $40 expansion (or whatever it costs) go in game, find mission is locked, go to american 7-11 and buy red bull, hope to whatever deity the code wasnt used, enter code on site and go back to game, Mission is unlocked, play mission.

Fat4all

Banned
I just love the fact that Bungie thought it was ok to delay these rewards for every single non-US player because of partnering with Red Bull.

I highly doubt Bungie had any hand in this marketing deal. It was Activision, through and through.

All Bungie gets to do is take the blame and try to defend it.

doomquake

its a mission that unlocks for redbull code people at taken king "dlc" release...then it unlocks in like january 2016 or something for everyone else.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha get stuffed Acti/Bungie, so damn incompetent you couldn't even design a simple redemption scheme (and if they let RB do all the work double Hahahahhahahahahaha).

I do feel sympathy for legitimate RB customers getting ripped off but the fault here lies completely with Acti/Bungie/RB as they designed a ludicrously easy to crack code schema. That someone saw the weakness and exploited it is utterly unsurprising, that no one at Acti/Bungie/RB vetted and tested that scheme before launching it is.

nynt9

Lol fuck Red Bull, Destiny and Activision. They deserve this shit –– and those trying to buy Red Bull for these stupid codes should spend their money elsewhere.

While I don't like the practices associated with this game, that doesn't mean literally stealing codes is ok.

I have to imagine Activision's only response now is to make the codes usable several times, and just limit it by IP address. It's the only way to salvage anything out of this promotion, and keep 7/11 & Red Bull from pursuing legal recourse. (They paid for an exclusive promotion, which Activision is now failing to deliver upon)

While it's shitty that people are being defrauded of what they purchased, the blame needs to be put on Activision for not protecting their consumers. That code was easily broken, and steps haven't been taken to ensure people get what they pay for.

Nowise10

Bungie added a half fix for this, limited to like a total of 15 codes can be used on your account on Bungie.net, before it locks you out.

So you can still take the codes, but not nearly as many anymore.

BahamutPT

Why are people saying it was GAF's fault?

IIRC, OP said he didn't find it, just reposted it here. And there was a thread on Reddit dated June 29 (GAF thread was only posted July 2), that probably had way more impact than the ~3 hours the thread was up here...

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ashamed that people would steal codes from redbull. Stealing is stealing and we as a community should have more...omg I kid, I cant even type this without cracking up. F redbull and F bungie for asking fans to consume that toxic garbage.

Servbot24

Banned
House of Wolves redeemed a lot of fans for you. But, the issues with the CE of Taken King, $20 armor shaders, and now a simple formula for Red Bull codes, it's going to be tough for you guys to dig yourself out of your current hole.

No it won't. You'll keep on buying their shit.

Lothars

The mission will be free in January for everyone.

I'm ashamed that people would steal codes from redbull. Stealing is stealing and we as a community should have more...omg I kid, I cant even type this without cracking up. F redbull and F bungie for asking fans to consume that toxic garbage.
It's not acceptable for people to steal the codes saying it's okay for people to do this is insane. yes the promotion sucks but doesn't make it acceptable at all.

Bungie added a half fix for this, limited to like a total of 15 codes can be used on your account on Bungie.net, before it locks you out.

So you can still take the codes, but not nearly as many anymore.

????

So they're basically telling folks to 'fill their boots' but only to the tune of 15 codes? How does this work for people who have bought 24 packs and discover that they can't use them all now or that they have no valid codes?

The only thing they can do now is negotiate with RB & 7/11 to try and end the promotion, it only hurts legitimate customers of RB and 7/11 at this point. I haven't and won't use these keys largely because A) I don't have TTK and B) it's shitty behaviour to RB customers. I do however luxuriate in yet another own goal caused by Acti/Bungie's greed, there wasn't enough game in Destiny to be carving off chunks for promotions, to do it and so very poorly is worthy of a few laughs in my book.

DesertFox

I highly doubt Bungie had any hand in this marketing deal. It was Activision, through and through.

All Bungie gets to do is take the blame and try to defend it.

Bungie should have known better than to sign a 10 year deal with Activision. They so badly wanted their freedom that they severed ties with Microsoft and became independent... only to become beholden to another major publisher? That makes no sense. The naivety is astounding to me. They're like some spoiled teenager who ran away from mom and dad's house only to find that the real world is a harsh, sucky place to be. If they're catching flak for partnering with Activision, maybe this will be a lesson learned for them. Maybe life under Microsoft's banner wasn't so bad after all?

But I digress, that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

So because you don't like it, stealing from someone is ok? Keep in mind this isn't just Red Bull / Bungie you are stealing from.

Some guy or gal is going to go get a Red Bull, be excited to come home and play and get new content, and be totally fucked because someone on the Internet stole their code. Pretty shady imo

Red Bull is delicious and stealing is wrong. Also we're all adults here so you can say fuck

Pejo

This sounds like a giant evil plan by the Cryptarch to make even getting a Destiny code RNG related.

That troll.

This sounds like a giant evil plan by the Cryptarch to make even getting a Destiny code RNG related.

That troll.

This made me laugh more than it should have, I can only imagine he's feeling jilted since his double showed up in the Rift.

yeah some people were just sitting on the sidelines posting a thousand different versions of "fuck this promotion, lol bungie" instead, true heroes

Yes I was one of them. (I don't blame Bungie, I'm sure Activision is the source of the promotion) But GAF is not at fault, when this was all over Reddit, Twitch, and Youtube.

Mindlog

And the fact I can see the behavioral psychology they applied to the games design, from how you never know when your next progression begins, the fact the loot earning sounds are pleasurable, and getting a critical on the enemies provides great feedback back to the player infuriates me to no end because its working on me. And I fucking hate myself.
Question. Does anyone really enjoy games where all of those elements are very poorly implemented?
I've been reliant on proper crit feedback since Quake. It just makes a game better.

Aces&Eights

All they had to do was have a code print up on the receipt. This was exclusive to 7-11 so they could have easily just allowed them to print up a string of numbers rather than put them on the cans.

Stealing is stealing, too.

tuxfool

Banned
Yep! Got the CE preordered and everything.

Just wish Bungie could see some good press :)

Tell them to fix their game. They'll get all the good press they could ever ask for.

For double good press, they could stop it with overcharging for DLC and nonsense like emotes.

lol, how could they make it such a simple code? Whoever is responsible for this promotion should feel really embarrassed that they developed a system that was so easy to crack.

fedexpeon

Banned
Red Bull deserves this by creating a simple combination of alphanumeric code.
No clue why it is so hard to generate a 16 unique code from a random number generator coming from a billion dollars company.

Unfortunately I was watching a twitch stream at the time this was all going down and hadn't heard that someone cracked the code. Some guy, can't remember the name, was just posting codes in the chat and as this was after the frenzy for E3 Blacksmith Shader codes I was just like, "Well, can't hurt," and attempted to use about 8 of them being posted.
One actually worked.
So then I get on GAF later and read about this and I'm just thinking, "Yeah, that was totally stolen, wasn't it?" I sent a few messages out to Bungie people and included the code I used but I'm not touching that Focused Light if it is actually stolen. Hopefully I don't get banned for this.

Podge293

While I wasn't one who utilised the hilariously poor system

For those mentioning possible bans. All you have to say is a friend from USA or out of state (if you're in USA) got u the codes. If anyone comes up with "oh look I've the token right here" a simple rebuttal is "he threw it in the trash and they picked it out"

Acti and Bungie can't really do much except give those that have a token a new code

It was a mix of issues IMO, the spreading of how to get codes was due to how easy it was to rearange an already known code to produce 100 more codes, the system was too open.

example the code 34x could also be used as x34 or 4x3, really abusable system.

Top Bottom