• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fishing Resort new trailer [Wii/XSEED/Prope] - open-world fishing

Meier

I have been playing the hell out of this game.. so fun! I think I've played it more than Skyward Sword to be honest. Lost two platinum gar yesterday though.. wanted to cry. Super disappointing. :(

There isn't a ton of info out there yet on it (and maybe never will be) but I swear I saw some crazy-ass looking fish/animal there at Panas Jungle. It looked almost like dinosaur of sorts but I thought within the context of the game it might be a river dolphin. Are they in the game?

adroit

Look for its outline in the Panas Jungle section of the fishing guide in your suitcase (in your hotel room). Anything look similar to what you saw?

I have been playing the hell out of this game.. so fun! I think I've played it more than Skyward Sword to be honest. Lost two platinum gar yesterday though.. wanted to cry. Super disappointing. :(

There isn't a ton of info out there yet on it (and maybe never will be) but I swear I saw some crazy-ass looking fish/animal there at Panas Jungle. It looked almost like dinosaur of sorts but I thought within the context of the game it might be a river dolphin. Are they in the game?

^_^ Happy to see you so hopelessly addicted. As for info on the game, we actually have two very detailed threads of tip/tricks and even an Ultimate Fish Guide that Philia did on our forums. You can always pop in there if you get stuck.

Tips & Tricks thread

Ultimate Fish Guide thread

Philia

YEAHHHHHHHHH. Saved for the Special section (passwords and wifi related), I've found just about ALL OF THE FISH EXCEPT JUST TWO. :D I've already S ranked half of these fish (98 of 200). Of course special thanks to parties involved in helping me find them better. :D

<3 Fishing Resort

Meier

Look for its outline in the Panas Jungle section of the fishing guide in your suitcase (in your hotel room). Anything look similar to what you saw?

Going by the thread on the XSEED forum (I actually have had it open in a tab for the last day or two, HPro!), I must have seen the Pteraspis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteraspis (although the wiki page says it was less than a foot in length..).

Although the guide mentions the Emerald Marsh, in my case, I believe I saw it right on the edge of the shore on the north (going off memory, may not be entirely accurate geographically but straight on at least) side of the big lake. It was just an outline at first off in the distance above the water which confused me but when I got closer I saw the outline although it disappeared shortly after. It's entirely possible it was just a different fish I'm more familiar with but it didn't seem like it...

adroit

I must have seen the Pteraspis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteraspis (although the wiki page says it was less than a foot in length..).
It's going to be the same length in the game. So I don't think you saw the Pteraspis. Some other people were saying they thought they saw an alligator (which you can't catch). I haven't seen it yet. There are other "scenery" animals in the game: bunnies, geese, and numerous other birds. So it's not hard to believe there could be an alligator in the scenery too. I hope I see it one of these days.

Edit:

OK, found the posts about the alligator sighting:

http://xseedgames.com/forums/showth...THAT-Fish-Thread&p=39689&viewfull=1#post39689
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showth...THAT-Fish-Thread&p=39691&viewfull=1#post39691
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showth...THAT-Fish-Thread&p=39762&viewfull=1#post39762
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showth...THAT-Fish-Thread&p=39816&viewfull=1#post39816

Yep, it must have been a gator then. It was above water and went under as I got closer.

When we first got the game from Japan I spent a ridiculous amount of effort trying to catch that croc. I tried every rod, reel, bait and tantalizing lure work I could muster. In the end I realized it was impossible and felt rather silly. I really wanted it something bad, though... (still do) :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I wish this game was here in the UK.

Score! I wish you much luck in landing the fabled Flapjack Octopus...

bZbmX.jpg

I wish it was made from real flapjacks. I wish I wish I wish...!

Ooh, are there Coelacanths?

adroit

I wish this game was here in the UK.
Someone needs to harass a European publisher to pick up this game.

In addition to the flapjacks, there are also the highly adorable Football Fish. Oh, so cute! And squiggly! Reddish brown and gelatinous! What more could you ask for in a fish???

But seriously, it is pretty cute how they scoot around under water, especially when they notice your bait and make a U-turn to come back and grab it.

Araxen

Banned
This game makes me wish I had a Wii. :(

It would make a great game for the PS3(Move) and maybe Kinect. We can only hope there is a Fishing Resort 2 and they are released for all the systems! I would love an HD version of the game plus they can make a killing on DLC resorts.

Retishi

XSEED Sales
Someone needs to harass a European publisher to pick up this game.
I know that Namco Bandai of Japan was talking directly to at least one interested European publisher, but not sure if anything came of that. Perhaps they were waiting to see how Wii software sells in general through the holidays before committing to a 2012 release.

Philia

H.Protagonist READ MY PMs please.

Also, Araxen, your rod/reel is on its way. :D <3 (That wasn't necessary but thank you!)

TxdoHawk

Re-bought a Wii and I'm totally grabbing this, quirky games need support.

H.P. - Is it better for you guys if I buy off Amazon or direct from your store?

Muskweeto

I've been playing this for a couple of hours every night for the past few nights.

It is by far the best fishing game I've played. I like the feel of the fishing pole attachment, but I have much better control over how fast I reel in without it. It wasn't really an issue until I started using the sinking lures.

I'll say more once I discover more areas and dig a little deeper into the game mechanics, but for now, loving every moment.

Re-bought a Wii and I'm totally grabbing this, quirky games need support.

H.P. - Is it better for you guys if I buy off Amazon or direct from your store?

Both have their benefits. If you're buying more than one of our games, the online store is best. If you're just getting Fishing Resort, Amazon is the way to go, because the more they sell, the more chance that they'll reorder new copies. :D Either way, you're helping us out big time, so thanks! ^_^

EDIT: And if you do order through Amazon, feel free to leave a review (honest opinion, good or bad). Those go a long way to helping people see if it's the game for them, and they help spread the word of the fishing glory to be had within. :)

I've been playing this for a couple of hours every night for the past few nights.

It is by far the best fishing game I've played. I like the feel of the fishing pole attachment, but I have much better control over how fast I reel in without it. It wasn't really an issue until I started using the sinking lures.

I'll say more once I discover more areas and dig a little deeper into the game mechanics, but for now, loving every moment.

Your joy is my joy. :) Once fishing resort gets its claws into you it's hard to get free. There's just so much to do and that need to catch all 200+ fish is very strong. Which fish is your favorite right now? Are you dressed as a pirate or a ninja? And, which is your favorite area?

Meier

Anyone have any tips on catching a yellow bullhead? I'm catching nothing but black bass, smallmouth and rock in the Blue Windmill area. :(

Doh! Ended up catching both a brown and black this time out.. I got so excited at the brown initially! :(

adroit

The game doesn't always tell you the best place to catch a particular fish. I caught more bullheads (of all kinds) further north around that point which juts way out at the bottom of the Eyelet area.

Meier

Lost a 21 ft white sturgeon, doh! Was only using the Lunker Keeper (M-L) which may be why it wasn't even super red and he got away at 85 feet.

Philia

Lost a 21 ft white sturgeon, doh! Was only using the Lunker Keeper (M-L) which may be why it wasn't even super red and he got away at 85 feet.

You need to get Titan/Infinity rod/reel (best 3star rod/reel which you get for completing all of the side quests) and keep reeling this fish in ORANGE range, otherwise the fish would dive on you and always cut the line regardless. Good job on finding it though.

Out of curiousity:

How's the framerate? And who is the composer? Isn't the Prope composer nicknamed YAM or something? Who worked on Let's Tap and Ivy?

And also in relation to Rodea, who owns the IP, Prope or Kadokawa? If Prope does, why would Kadokawa stop the game from releasing in NA first? Naka should just pass it to Namco Bandai if Kadokawa won't get off their ass. :/

Aselith

Out of curiousity:

How's the framerate? And who is the composer? Isn't the Prope composer nicknamed YAM or something? Who worked on Let's Tap and Ivy?

And also in relation to Rodea, who owns the IP, Prope or Kadokawa? If Prope does, why would Kadokawa stop the game from releasing in NA first? Naka should just pass it to Namco Bandai if Kadokawa won't get off their ass. :/
It has an NA release.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Threads like this are why I love GAF so much.

I've never heard of this game, never noticed this thread before. I just clicked in here not 5 minutes ago and now I've already ordered a standard copy from Amazon. I can't wait!

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Just wanted to say that, based on this thread, I picked this up between Christmas and New Years. The game is just fantastic! So much fun in the anticipation of seeing what I've caught next, how it compares with my best, etc., it's just thoroughly addicting. Nothing gives me greater joy than a game which allows me to turn my brain off and just get lost in the enjoyment a game is giving me. This game offers that in large quantities. If it's not the best $30 bucks I spent on gaming last year, it doesn't miss it by much. It's a true stress reliever and far more fun than I would've ever expected before I tried it.

Thanks, GAF, for the spark to pick it up and thanks to our poster buddy from XSeed (and whose name I'm blanking on, SORRY) for your thorough, but not heavy handed, stream of information about the game.

In my book, it's just great!

Retishi

XSEED Sales
Pretty sure that Kadokawa owns the IP as Yuji Naka seemed pretty powerless and somewhat frustrated on Rodea not being published yet in this Siliconera interview: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/2...lete-were-waiting-for-kadokawa-to-publish-it/
This was an interview I arranged and translated for during TGS for Fishing Resort, but Siliconera was determined to sneak in a question about Rodea. I told Naka-san he didn't have to answer the question (since I didn't want him getting into trouble with the publisher), but he totally volunteered to answer it. Seemed like he wanted to clear the air on why the title hadn't been released yet. Unfortunately, the more time that passes, the more unlikely it becomes that it will be released on Wii.

Let us check with Prope on your question about the composer, but your framerate question may be better answered by someone else playing the game with an "unbiased" opinion.

Pretty sure that Kadokawa owns the IP as Yuji Naka seemed pretty powerless and somewhat frustrated on Rodea not being published yet in this Siliconera interview: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/2...lete-were-waiting-for-kadokawa-to-publish-it/
This was an interview I arranged and translated for during TGS for Fishing Resort, but Siliconera was determined to sneak in a question about Rodea. I told Naka-san he didn't have to answer the question (since I didn't want him getting into trouble with the publisher), but he totally volunteered to answer it. Seemed like he wanted to clear the air on why the title hadn't been released yet. Unfortunately, the more time that passes, the more unlikely it becomes that it will be released on Wii.

Let us check with Prope on your question about the composer, but your framerate question may be better answered by someone else playing the game with an "unbiased" opinion.

Can't Naka do something like urge Kadokawa to put it out or to allow a localization regardless, or even just reclaim the IP to pass on to another publisher?

Why didn't I know this was out yet?

It's one of the Wii's best kept secrets. Slowly but surely word is trickling out, though. (Yay RP gaf peep!)

Threads like this are why I love GAF so much.

I've never heard of this game, never noticed this thread before. I just clicked in here not 5 minutes ago and now I've already ordered a standard copy from Amazon. I can't wait!

;_; This makes me so happy to read. (The little thread that could...) You have just added a gem to your gaming collection, sir. I hope you get many hours of addiction enjoyment out of it. :D Thanks for the support!

Just wanted to say that, based on this thread, I picked this up between Christmas and New Years. The game is just fantastic! So much fun in the anticipation of seeing what I've caught next, how it compares with my best, etc., it's just thoroughly addicting. Nothing gives me greater joy than a game which allows me to turn my brain off and just get lost in the enjoyment a game is giving me. This game offers that in large quantities. If it's not the best $30 bucks I spent on gaming last year, it doesn't miss it by much. It's a true stress reliever and far more fun than I would've ever expected before I tried it.

Thanks, GAF, for the spark to pick it up and thanks to our poster buddy from XSeed (and whose name I'm blanking on, SORRY) for your thorough, but not heavy handed, stream of information about the game.

In my book, it's just great!

More happiness! Thank you so much for getting the game and letting me/us know what you think. Every time I read your guys' impressions it really makes it all worth it. We set the price point as low as we could, and I've tried to tell as much as I could without being too pushy/shill-y (I honestly like the game so I don't think I've been disingenuous with my enthusiasm, but I could see how this might look to others), so it's a real pleasure every time someone new posts here to say they got the game. I hope you continue to fish your heart out and post your triumphs here so that Philia has some competition. ;)

Philia

I hope you continue to fish your heart out and post your triumphs here so that Philia has some competition. ;)

<3

They just gotta find all of the fish first! And then find and capture 4 White Sturgeons in a day.

Oh yeah! Because the poor XSeed Forums being all kaput and all, I offer you my gamefaqs guide for your fishing needs. I need to update it a few times before its all 100% done, but the fishing list is pretty much done once I update it. :) The only thing that really needs is a more fluid location markers for some of the fish. :D

But most importantly, you may pm me for extra help (like pics)!

Duke Togo

I just bought this on a whim, after having seen this thread. Now I've just got to get my Wii out of storage. Looking forward to some evening fishing this week.

Zarovitch

I'm suppose to receive the game this week. i hope i'll got it today.

Is it possible to create more than one character, i want to play it with my girlfriend.

neeksleep

Any word on when the X-Seed forums will be back up and running? I'm in need of those tips & tricks threads! :p

Also, this game is ridiculously awesome. I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread at work. It pulled me away from Skyrim, which is saying a lot (days usually involved Sleep, Skyrim, Work, skyrim, sleep, repeat). My dad started watching me play it too, and tells me all his random fishing tales while I play.

Question though, how does multiplayer work? Does the option open up later? I've only played 4 days in the game. And is it a competitive multiplayer? or does what everyone catch go into your aquarium/collection?

I just bought this on a whim, after having seen this thread. Now I've just got to get my Wii out of storage. Looking forward to some evening fishing this week.

Hurray! I love impulse buys (partially because we so rarely get them)! I think you're about to get a lot of mileage out of your Wii... Let us know what you think. :)

I'm suppose to receive the game this week. i hope i'll got it today.

Is it possible to create more than one character, i want to play it with my girlfriend.

Did your glorious purchase arrive? Are you and your girlfriend duking it out over smelt yet?

Any word on when the X-Seed forums will be back up and running? I'm in need of those tips & tricks threads! :p

Also, this game is ridiculously awesome. I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread at work. It pulled me away from Skyrim, which is saying a lot (days usually involved Sleep, Skyrim, Work, skyrim, sleep, repeat). My dad started watching me play it too, and tells me all his random fishing tales while I play.

Question though, how does multiplayer work? Does the option open up later? I've only played 4 days in the game. And is it a competitive multiplayer? or does what everyone catch go into your aquarium/collection?

Forums are sort of up, but currently undergoing more maintenance to fix some residual assholery hiding in the code. :p Hopefully everything will be kosher soon.

Anyway, good to hear you're enjoying the game so much. I love it when I hear that families are playing together, or that Fishing Resort has edged out other games for people's undivided attentions. ^_^ It's cool that it's had the added bonus of generating close time with your dad. Did his tales relate to what you were catching, or just past exploits?

As for multiplayer, you just need to sync up a second remote and player 2 will automatically pop up on the screen if the main player approaches the water and casts out their line. In this version of the multiplayer, however, it's more cooperative than anything. Whichever player gets a bite will take control of the screen and they'll reel it in solo. The main player will benefit from this catch, though (it will go into your aquarium). If you want head-to-head action you need to go smelt fishing where up to 4 players can compete to see who gets the most smelt within a given time limit.

Might give this a go if I see it at Walmart. I love GAF surprise recommendations.

Go for it! I think it's been a surprise hit for many. :)

Can't wait to get this and Go Vacation from the bargain bin when I get my Wii U. I really want these games, but I don't want to hook up my Wii just to do it. Lazy fuck I am.

Can't wait to get this and Go Vacation from the bargain bin when I get my Wii U. I really want these games, but I don't want to hook up my Wii just to do it. Lazy fuck I am.

Awww... You're going to wait 'til it hits the bargain bin? ;_; It's already super cheap right now ($20 for Stnd, and $30 for the bundle with the fishing rod attachment).

And, how can you resist the call of the flapjack octopus?

39853398.jpg

Zarovitch

Surprise i got it yesterday :)

Me and my girlfriend start it. This games looks huge, it's seem to have so much content. Tonight i cannot play but my girlfriend will play with for sure.

I didn't know it support the motion plus. But it seem to be use only to see the movement of the fishing pole 1:1 but it's not use when the fish bite.

I'll recommend it to some of my friends. I'm thinking to buy it for a gift.

Top Bottom