• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

I wonder what the chances are that Warzone will lose it microtransaction element for Halo 6. They could still have armor tied to microtransactions (or earned through natural play). If they focus on making quality armor and tap into the nostalgia from the get go they could still make a ton of money. Overwatch is an example where this is done well. Warzone could then be better balanced with weapons and vehicles tied to bases and bosses rather than called in.

jem0208

There's no way they'll make Warzone reduce the microtransaction usage.

At best I think we could see a Warzone mode without them.

Trup1aya

I wonder what the chances are that Warzone will lose it microtransaction element for Halo 6. They could still have armor tied to microtransactions (or earned through natural play). If they focus on making quality armor and tap into the nostalgia from the get go they could still make a ton of money. Overwatch is an example where this is done well. Warzone could then be better balanced with weapons and vehicles tied to bases and bosses rather than called in.

Perhaps, but I doubt they'd ever make a change that would reduce the gametypes earning potential.

I think Warzone would instantly be better balanced if the req cards for the base variants of all weapon types were unlocked at the start.

I don't mind micro transactions, however, they need to be done right. The main thing I would change is being able to purchase what you want. That way you don't have to rely solely on RNG.

Haruko

I don't mind micro transactions, however, they need to be done right. The main thing I would change is being able to purchase what you want. That way you don't have to rely solely on RNG.

Or at least more focused packs, like Vehicles-only or Covenant weapons-only, etc. There's a bunch of ways they could offer different packs to make it easier to try for a specific REQ even without a guarantee

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just want more (transparency with?) cows finding for his and more with team organizations (weapon skins, armored skins, emblems, etc)

Edit: crowd funding for hcs. I hate "smart phones"

Cranster

Banned
I think at the very least cosmetic items should be separated from weapons/powerups. I also think they should cut down on redundant weapon types IE the various BRs ARs, ect.

Madness

I spent more money on this game than all the rest Halo combined... if anything they learned new tricks of monetization. You will see more cosmetic microtranscations and grind based unlocks.

If they are smart, they would afford BTB more respect the next go around. I hope they learn from Gears in terms of org support and skins. God help them if they waste resources and time on some new mode that barely gets touched ala Breakout and disregard something else.

Fuchsdh

I think at the very least cosmetic items should be separated from weapons/powerups. I also think they should cut down on redundant weapon types IE the various BRs ARs, ect.

Eh, I like the flexibility of the different weapon types, the problem is that in-game they slow you down in the menus more than they should. Having set REQ level load outs might be one way of addressing this (so you don't need to dig into the menus at all if you don't want a weapon immediately), but that might discourage experimentation. Something as simple as changing the list into a multi-row grid so there's less paging and making the system much more responsive would remove any aggravation with the types, I think, along with QOL stuff like collapsing lower-req load out weapons (on the assumption that you aren't going to be pulling a LVL 2 pistol when you've got LVL 5 BRs, etc.) Alternatively they could have an adjustable length row where you first select the base weapon and then the attachments unpack from there so it's easier to switch base weapons.

Across the board outside of the gameplay allowing more options for viewing and sorting your REQs is I think important to player UX as well as encouraging people to spend more. Switching your armor with no way to sort beyond when you unlocked it is bad. Not having paint jobs collapsed on the main variant to save space is bad. There's plenty of low-hanging fruit they can adjust for H6 that will make the REQ system much nicer without materially changing any of the aspects with it showing up in game or how you pay (or don't) for it.

Or at least more focused packs, like Vehicles-only or Covenant weapons-only, etc. There's a bunch of ways they could offer different packs to make it easier to try for a specific REQ even without a guarantee

To me the best of both worlds option would be to hybridize the armory setup from Reach and the unlocks from 5. So if you want to buy each individual piece of armor (hey it'd be nice to have mix-and-match arm and leg options back!) you can do so for 10K or 20K RP or whatever. Or you can put it into the packs, which give you Warzone items as well as giving you full unlocks if you get something (so you could either save up to buy all the pieces of Mk V, or get a jackpot in a req pack and get the entire set in one fell swoop.)

Trup1aya

So this morning, I've actually had my first mmc session since giving up on it after is launch. (after not playing any other fps other than h5 for the last 1.5 years). I'm blown away at how good the aiming feels. Wide they have to change this at all? I feel like i picked up right where i left of 10 years ago.

Also i had forgotten how garage vanilla h2 and h3 settings were. I also can't believe i was ever a fan of the motion tracker

H5s feedback systems are really great. The detailed kill feed, the weapons hit markers, the sniper glare, the headshot and assist sounds, . It really helps when teammates aren't talking. i missed this during mcc, it felt like my actions didnt have weight. Grenade hit markers have got to go though...

If they made h6 w/o sprint (boost bms, keep thrust and gp), increased the FOV, used H3's aiming system, and made the the nessisary tweaks to h5s sandbox (better utilty weapon, automatic w/ a skill gap), and had a full suite of gametypes.... my god... I'd be in heaven.

Of course they could throw in a wind effect and arm waving animation for those who need it in order to 'feel' like they are moving fast.

jem0208

So this morning, I've actually had my first mmc session since giving up on it after is launch. (after not playing any other fps other than h5 for the last 1.5 years). I'm blown away at how good the aiming feels. Wide they have to change this at all? I feel like i picked up right where i left of 10 years ago.

Also i had forgotten how garage vanilla h2 and h3 settings were. I also can't believe i was ever a fan of the motion tracker

H5s feedback systems are really great. The detailed kill feed, the weapons hit markers, the sniper glare, the headshot and assist sounds, . It really helps when teammates aren't talking. i missed this during mcc, it felt like my actions didnt have weight. Grenade hit markers have got to go though...

If they made h6 w/o sprint (boost bms, keep thrust and gp), increased the FOV, used H3's aiming system, and made the the nessisary tweaks to h5s sandbox (better utilty weapon, automatic w/ a skill gap), and had a full suite of gametypes.... my god... I'd be in heaven.

Of course they could throw in a wind effect and arm waving animation for those who need it in order to 'feel' like they are moving fast.

I played H3 on the 360 the other day and it feels fucking absymal to aim. I'm not kidding, it just feels so clunky.

jelly

Halo 3 does feel a little clunky but the weapons are also mostly complete garbage which is my main issue and the FoV.

Anyone think BTB will make Halo 6 in any decent form or is it all in on Warzone for REQ profit?

raindoc

we're posting wishes now?

Let us play this thing OFFLINE again. I'm talking about LAN-customs - nothing more ridiculous than 8 guys in their 30ies coming together to play halo and then having to play card games because there's some problem with the servers/xbl/whatever.

Halo 3 does feel a little clunky but the weapons are also mostly complete garbage which is my main issue and the FoV.

Anyone think BTB will make Halo 6 in any decent form or is it all in on Warzone for REQ profit?
BTB is definitely done. Warzone is a very popular mode and it rakes in the money.

I played H3 on the 360 the other day and it feels fucking absymal to aim. I'm not kidding, it just feels so clunky.

Halo 3 seemed to introduce a much lower vertical sensitivity than your chosen horizontal sensitivity. It feels good once you play for a while, but that's what I imagine you are feeling.

Halo 1 and 2 feel so good to me still.

Trup1aya

Prolly cause you were playing 30fps

I rage quit out of H5 and turned on MCC for shits and giggles

I was expecting to need some time to adjust, but i just jumped right in and played extremely well. Played CE-4. If i take 2 days of h5 im trash. I picked these up with relative ease.

Prolly cause you were playing 30fps

I rage quit out of H5 and turned on MCC for shits and giggles

I was expecting to need some time to adjust, but i just jumped right in and played extremely well. Played CE-4. If i take 2 days of h5 im trash. I picked these up with relative ease.

The old games are so much easier going from Halo 5.

HTupolev

Halo 3's aiming on 360 isn't just the 30fps. People attacked it back in 2007 as well, relative to Halo's 1 and 2. Always hard to isolate cause of these things, but the game does seem somewhat juddery, which might be contributing.

Trup1aya

Halo 3's aiming on 360 isn't just the 30fps. People attacked it back in 2007 as well, relative to Halo's 1 and 2. Always hard to isolate cause of these things, but the game does seem somewhat juddery, which might be contributing.

Ok i dont remember that. But it's possible. Still i didn't have much trouble jumping between h1 2 3 & 4. I was surprised h4 felt so good compared to h5, but then i remembered how good the h5 beta felt.

I will say this. When it comes to the vanilla sandbox, h5 is second only to CE. 2 and 3 vanilla settings are horrendous. And i wont even speak on h4.

Defect

I've been playing MCC recently too just so I can get the meaningless H3 50. I got used to the shitty weapons relatively fast and the aiming feels fine.

I struggle with aiming in H5 after a day of not playing, it's ridiculous.

Ok i dont remember that. But it's possible. Still i didn't have much trouble jumping between h1 2 3 & 4. I was surprised h4 felt so good compared to h5, but then i remembered how good the h5 beta felt.

I will say this. When it comes to the vanilla sandbox, h5 is second only to CE. 2 and 3 vanilla settings are horrendous. And i wont even speak on h4.
As far as sandbox ratings

1. Halo 5
2. Halo 2
3. Halo CE
4. Halo 3
5. Halo 4
6. Halo Reach

I also can't believe i was ever a fan of the motion tracker
Remember our radar debates? I'm glad you came around lol.
Feels better than H5 imo.
BTB will be back, no way they don't have it with the shit they got for Halo 5.
Pro tip: Don't expect anything. The amount of times I've seen Halo fans say "There's no way X because of the shit Halo dev received over Y" only to be disappointed should tell you something lol. I mean, just look at the Camo AA in Halo 4 and convoluted story in Halo 5. These are things that were negatively criticized in the previous game, but were repeated mistakes in direct sequels.

Pro tip: Don't expect anything. The amount of times I've seen Halo fans say "There's no way X because of the shit Halo dev received over Y" only to be disappointed should tell you something lol. I mean, just look at the Camo AA in Halo 4 and convoluted story in Halo 5. These are things that were negatively criticized in the previous game, but were repeated mistakes in direct sequels.
I mean, people praise Halo 4's story now. I always think it was shit. I don't expect a good Halo campaign for 6 following 4 and 5. BTB is a more realistic expectation.

It's realistic in the sense that it's a no-brainer, but this franchise made me cynical. I love/hate every game lol.

If BTB returns, they'd have to make maps for Warzone, WZ Assault, Arena 4v4's and BTB. Now consider the criticisms 343 received over Arena remixes and WZA maps, so expectations would mean that they wouldn't use remixes this time around and instead would focus on original maps right? No, not necessarily because while the reception was mixed, it might make more sense to double down on remixes if their resources are limited, especially if they're planning original BTB maps. If anything, expect BTB maps to be remixes of WZA maps and remakes of classic maps lol.

It's realistic in the sense that it's a no-brainer, but this franchise made me cynical. I love/hate every game lol.

If BTB returns, they'd have to make maps for Warzone, WZ Assault, Arena 4v4's and BTB. Now consider the criticisms 343 received over Arena remixes and WZA maps, so expectations would mean that they wouldn't use remixes this time around and instead would focus on original maps right? No, not necessarily because while the reception was mixed, it might make more sense to double down on remixes if their resources are limited, especially if they're planning original BTB maps. If anything, expect BTB maps to be remixes of WZA maps and remakes of classic maps lol.

I'd be more happy with WarZone remixes for BTB than remixes for Arena.

That shit sucks.

Fuchsdh

I mean, people praise Halo 4's story now. I always think it was shit. I don't expect a good Halo campaign for 6 following 4 and 5. BTB is a more realistic expectation.

Where's that graphic of sliding scale "best game / not as bad as people say it is / dogshit" as it applies to Halo games when you need it?

Trup1aya

Remember our radar debates? I'm glad you came around lol.

lol I do... I cringe thinking about it

As far as sandbox ratings

1. Halo 5
2. Halo 2
3. Halo CE
4. Halo 3
5. Halo 4
6. Halo Reach

Vanilla h2 was trash... smg starts *cringe

I say
1. CE (difficult, yet skillful utility weapon, all weapons fit niche perfectly)
2. H5 (most weapons feel good, but autos are OP, and magnum is underpowered)
3. H2 (dual wield ruined everything, smg starts, heavy magnetism and aim assist in EVERYTHING)
4. H3 (kept dual wield, added equipment, most worthless POS magnum ever- seriously wtf were they thinking)
5. Reach (loadouts, armor abilities, bloom)
6. H4 (it had loadouts, more armor abilities and killstreaks. Seriously people spawned with 1hk boltshots & Promethean vision, then had Saws delivered from the heavens. A well balanced sandbox was impossible)

Halo 5's story is a regression in almost every way. Halo 4 at least had some emotion, although the overall plot was terribly told.

People are looking at Halo 4's story with more optimistic eyes because what we got with Halo 5 was so bad tbh.

100 splatters/100 legendary metals in H2A is so grindy. I don't think I have 100 splatters across the entire MCC. Legendary metals I have more than enough, should have been a cross game achievement.

jem0208

Halo 5's story is a regression in almost every way. Halo 4 at least had some emotion, although the overall plot was terribly told.

People are looking at Halo 4's story with more optimistic eyes because what we got with Halo 5 was so bad tbh.

I always liked 4's story.

It's one of the better stories in the series imo. Although i did read the books so i didn't have the problem of not understanding what was going on...

I always liked 4's story.

It's one of the better stories in the series imo. Although i did read the books so i didn't have the problem of not understanding what was going on...

I kid you not, I wrote a sentence that said, "Jem will say he liked the story though", but deleted that before posting.

Trup1aya

H4s story...

The Halo universe took a back seat to the Chief Cortana relationship, which would have been fine if H4s role wasn't to establish the principle dilemma for the trilogy/saga. It felt completely self contained (a point exacerbated by H5s total disregard for H4)

Every ounce of the Didact v Humanity plot was delivered through exposition- some of which was only obtainable via hidden terminals.

To make matters worse, what should have been massive revelations to the player and characters were treated with extreme indifference from the characters in the game.

When CE ended, I was filled with anticipation about how Chief would continue this hopeless 2 front fight against the Covenant and Flood.

When 4 ended, there was nothing to anticipate if you didn't get into the EU. The bad guy was 'dead', chief was home. It really didn't feel like the start of a new saga, rather a side dish.

H4s story...

The Halo universe took a back seat to the Chief Cortana relationship, which would have been fine if H4s role wasn't to establish the principle dilemma for the trilogy/saga. It felt completely self contained (a point exacerbated by H5s total disregard for H4)

Every ounce of the Didact v Humanity plot was delivered through exposition- some of which was only obtainable via hidden terminals.

To make matters worse, what should have been massive revelations to the player and characters were treated with extreme indifference from the characters in the game.

When CE ended, I was filled with anticipation about how Chief would continue this hopeless 2 front fight against the Covenant and Flood.

When 4 ended, there was nothing to anticipate if you didn't get into the EU. The bad guy was 'dead', chief was home. It really didn't feel like the start of a new saga, rather a side dish.

Same thing happened in Star wars Ep4.

Personally, i thought the SP story was a lot better in 4 then it was in 5.

Trup1aya

Same thing happened in Star wars Ep4.

Personally, i thought the SP story was a lot better in 4 then it was in 5.

Not at all really... ep4 established the Luke, the Jedi and rebel alliance as the trilogies good guys, and Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire as the trilogies bad guys. You know at the end of ep4 that the trilogy will center around Luke's journey to become a Jedi and defeat the Empire.

At the end of H4 you have no idea when the central plot of the saga will be. All you know is that Chief and Cortana were great friends, but now she's dead. Who's the bad guy? What threats exist?

H4s story (the chief + Cortana angle) was better than the H5 story. But as the beginning of a saga it failed... evidenced by the fact that H5s story has almost nothing to do with anything established in H4.

Not at all really... ep4 established the Luke, the Jedi and rebel alliance as the trilogies good guys, and Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire as the trilogies bad guys. You know at the end of ep4 that the trilogy will center around Luke's journey to become a Jedi and defeat the Empire.

At the end of H4 you have no idea when the central plot of the saga will be. All you know is that Chief and Cortana were great friends, but now she's dead. Who's the bad guy? What threats exist?

true

Detective

So I played for the thousandth time Halo 1-3 and Reach with a friend who hasn't played it before, he played MP only.

And we landed on 4 obviously, he couldn't get pass the fourth level. He literally said WTF is this over and over again.

I can't blame him actually, Everything was changed, I mean everything. Even weapons sounds. For the worse of course.

Every time I use H4 plasma pistol I say; WTF were they thinking? How did Halo iconic sounds endup to this fucking garbage? Not to mention the nagging Chief, the level design, art style, colors, everything was not Halo.

Anyway, he watched the ending on YouTube and we moved over to H5, half way through he ended up on YouTube as well.

343 strongest weakness is campaign and Story imo.
They need to get back to what made Halo Halo. Stop changing for the sake of change.

Even new people to campaign felt the downgrade,

I look forward to Halo 6 but not as excited as I used to be for A Halo title. Which is something I've never imagined I would feel. Never.

So I played for the thousandth time Halo 1-3 and Reach with a friend who hasn't played it before, he played MP only.

And we landed on 4 obviously, he couldn't get pass the fourth level. He literally said WTF is this over and over again.

I can't blame him actually, Everything was changed, I mean everything. Even weapons sounds. For the worse of course.

Every time I use H4 plasma pistol I say; WTF were they thinking? How did Halo iconic sounds endup to this fucking garbage? Not to mention the nagging Chief, the level design, art style, colors, everything was not Halo.

Anyway, he watched the ending on YouTube and we moved over to H5, half way through he ended up on YouTube as well.

343 strongest weakness is campaign and Story imo.
They need to get back to what made Halo Halo. Stop changing for the sake of change.

Even new people to campaign felt the downgrade,

I look forward to Halo 6 but not as excited as I used to be for A Halo title. Which is something I've never imagined I would feel. Never.

That's really cool actually.

link1201

It wasn’t that surprising to me, but the volume of ‘give us more Chief’ at the end of Halo 5 was significant and so I think if anything he’s slightly more important now than he has ever been, certainly to our franchise. Instead of focusing on bringing new characters into the world and expanding the playable characters we’ve sort of shifted the focus a little bit to making the world a little bit more realistic and compelling and, I would say, more fun for players who get to inhabit the Chief in the future, pretty much as they demanded.-Frank O'Connor
Yes please.

More at the link
https://wccftech.com/343i-halo-5-mistake-master-chief/

For campaign, I hope they take a hard look at CE and 3 as a basis for Halo 6's campaign. The art style isn't something I expect them to "revert" back to, but after Halo Wars 2 I really hope they do, more James Cameron space marines, less space superheroes.

Glad to hear those elements, all on the money. It's easy to say retrospectively but when you give Chief a voice and that much dialogue he's not a player imagination driven vessel anymore, he's a character in his own right.

I'm glad John gets more of all of the above but they just missed the mark, you only need 3 campaign missions for primary new characters.

Top Bottom