• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

I just really need Halo 6 to have visually appealing maps and great map design in multiplayer again. The only standouts in H5 to me were Coliseum and Truth, which were at least pretty decent.

Everything else was poop from a butt imo. I know, that's not constructive. =p

I'm also not sure I can ever appreciate Locke and gang (Fillion is just fanservice imo). I would be okay if they were in the background with little to say.

You all think we'll see any Halo 6 stuff at E3?

I just really need Halo 6 to have visually appealing maps and great map design in multiplayer again. The only standouts in H5 to me were Coliseum and Truth, which were at least pretty decent.

Everything else was poop from a butt imo. I know, that's not constructive. =p

I'm also not sure I can ever appreciate Locke and gang (Fillion is just fanservice imo). I would be okay if they were in the background with little to say.

You all think we'll see any Halo 6 stuff at E3?

I think theyll have a cgi teaser of halo 6.

The dreamer in me is hoping they have a in-engine render trailer of halo 6 with scorpio power. Say 4k ,60 fps, hdr, vrr

I think theyll have a cgi teaser of halo 6.

The dreamer in me is hoping they have a in-engine render trailer of halo 6 with scorpio power. Say 4k ,60 fps, hdr, vrr

That would actually be a huge selling point...reveal Scorpio with a bit of Halo 6...We gotta wait until 2018 for Halo 6 don't we =(

Mabef

Banned
I already posted this in the H5 topic, but this thread might make more sense since the video has more of MCC than anything:
I've gathered my old Halo captures and collated them into one mess of a video. I would describe the video as "tonally confusing" because I put sad music behind it. Hope one of you enjoys it.

Youtube link

Trup1aya

LOL that would be hilarious

It would be full circle... I remember buying Crackdown exclusively to play the H3 beta, then becoming addicted to the game.

And it would be a complete missed opportunity for MS to do anything different, IMO.

If I remember correctly, H5s beta came out in the Q4, which is where CD3 is currently slated (I think). The stars are aligning.

jem0208

I will be extremely disappointed if H6 beta access isn't included in Crackdown 3.

I will buy the game just for that.

Oozer3993

It just occurred to me that I forgot to shamelessly plug the second and final part of my Making Of Halo 1 article in this thread. I finished it a month ago and it covers from January 1st, 2000 to the game's release. Visit the thread, if only to see the Rock Worm.

After years and years of meaning to do it, I finally got around to putting the private Halo 2 Multiplayer Beta on my modded Xbox.

JhNHPJg.jpg

The Mongoose kinda sucks, but the Flamethrower is nasty. It eats Warthogs for breakfast.

oS9vggD.jpg

Listening the ODST OST with ambient rain while studying. What a missed opportunity when Marty left Bungie. 4 and 5 just aren't memorable compared to his soundtracks. While those games have their moments, the thematic and general tone of Marty's work is great "cover to cover."

clav

Crackdown 3 with Halo 6 beta perhaps...

I'm immediately reminded of that video Bungie posted to the first page back in the day called Master Chief sucks at Halo.

Listening the ODST OST with ambient rain while studying. What a missed opportunity when Marty left Bungie. 4 and 5 just aren't memorable compared to his soundtracks. While those games have their moments, the thematic and general tone of Marty's work is great "cover to cover."

Did you notice montage that someone/some team put together for DICE summit a few months ago in Bonnie Ross's presentation only used Marty's music?

Full circle.

I'm still not entirely convinced CD3 is coming out this year or next though.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/crackdown-3-coming-holiday-2017-or-earlier-runs-at/1100-6445960/

Supposedly holiday 2017 or earlier.

Yup...totally agree man...Marty has an amazing grasp at subtlety and creating quiet swelling melodies and hauntingly beautiful songs. The new stuff is super bombastic and more Hollywood movie style. It sounds messier and more chaotic. Has a lot more horns/brass too (Reach did this much better imo). Relistening to H5's soundtrack reminds me of stuff you might hear in a Call of Duty game or Marvel movie. I get why people like it...but I personally dislike it as it sounds predictable, forced, or even feels sterile. I actually prefer Halo 4's OST over 5 now due to it at least sounding more unique and grabs my emotions more successfully than 5's, but I still don't enjoy most of it.

Replaying through the games right now and I realize that Marty created quiet moody atmospheric melodies, while the newer quiet stuff is simply mood filler--noise to create atmosphere without much of an interesting hook. Marty's music could even sound playful during combat, which oddly enough worked really well because of the setting ("Peril" in Halo 2 on Delta Halo).

In before Jem defends Halo 4 and 5's soundtrack as goat. ;)

Madness

With Halo Wars Definitive edition coming to steam, MS should try and fix MCC and get that re-released on W10 and Steam too. Imagine what PC'ers could do with H3, H4 and H2A forge. And also get to experience the games again. Would lead to more Halo 6 pc sales too.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Yup...totally agree man...Marty has an amazing grasp at subtlety and creating quiet swelling melodies and hauntingly beautiful songs. The new stuff is super bombastic and more Hollywood movie style. It sounds messier and more chaotic. Has a lot more horns/brass too (Reach did this much better imo). Relistening to H5's soundtrack reminds me of stuff you might hear in a Call of Duty game or Marvel movie. I get why people like it...but I personally dislike it as it sounds predictable, forced, or even feels sterile. I actually prefer Halo 4's OST over 5 now due to it at least sounding more unique and grabs my emotions more successfully than 5's, but I still don't enjoy most of it.

Replaying through the games right now and I realize that Marty created quiet moody atmospheric melodies, while the newer quiet stuff is simply mood filler--noise to create atmosphere without much of an interesting hook. Marty's music could even sound playful during combat, which oddly enough worked really well because of the setting ("Peril" in Halo 2 on Delta Halo).

In before Jem defends Halo 4 and 5's soundtrack as goat. ;)

Marty's work has been flawless across the entire series. With the exception of the H3 AR firing/popcorn sound. But really, that is my only complaint across all 5 games.

Akai__

Thoughts on E3? I think we will just get a Halo 6 teaser. Beyond that nothing.

Yeah, everything will be for Halo 6. CGI trailer for campaign and maybe a real MP trailer this time with the MP Beta release date that will probably be in December/January again.

jelly

Halo 5 Scorpio improvements.

Halo 6 early beta access with Crackdown 3. A very brief tease of Halo 6. I can even imagine none of that as well. I still feel they need to repair the bridges burnt by MCC, big upgrade with H3A, a PC release, that time may be gone and it's better spent on Halo 6 but I just don't know.

Thinking about Halo 6, I really want the game to look like Halo. I don't like the current art styles which could be any sci fi.

It's a tough call, the trilogy is to finish, what do they do from art style to game play to characters. Improve it but ride out this game on the same themes. That's my worry, it's kinda tainted already.

While I like the concept of H3A in MCC, it won't work in practice. Marketing DLC for a 3 year old game is weird enough, then you have to add it to an already unstable package. Of course the idea is to fix the MCC in the process, but that's easier said than done. Bonnie Ross also said if they did it again, they would re-release the games separately rather than doing the whole collection. If they did make it, it'd likely be standalone, I doubt it happens at all.

If they do make H3A my wishlist:
-New textures
-Blur cutscenes
-Hitscan BR/carbine
-Following maps remade:
--Avalanche, Longshore, Last Resort, The Pit, Narrows, High Ground, Guardian and Citadel.

Akai__

-Hitscan BR/carbine

I don't get this obsession with hitscan. Projectile based systems will always be better, because they take more skill. Just because the netcode in 2007 was garbage, doesn't mean that a projectile based shooter can't exist these days. There are several examples where it does work and it can work in Halo again. What we don't need is hitscan systems with tons of aim assist and bullet magnetism.

Luckily, even if they did a H3A, they will never change something like this. Just like they didn't apply any fundamental changes to HCEA or H2A. It's a fundamental design choice that affects every gamemode.

Fuchsdh

I don't get this obsession with hitscan. Projectile based systems will always be better, because they take more skill. Just because the netcode in 2007 was garbage, doesn't mean that a projectile based shooter can't exist these days. There are several examples where it does work and it can work in Halo again. What we don't need is hitscan systems with tons of aim assist and bullet magnetism.

Luckily, even if they did a H3A, they will never change something like this. Just like they didn't apply any fundamental changes to HCEA or H2A. It's a fundamental design choice that affects every gamemode.

Yep. And, like bloom in Reach, the range of the BR isn't really a major issue in the campaign anyhow.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hate cg trailers. Really hoping for a halo 3/reach style in engine teaser or cutscene. We're those the year those games launched, or the year before?

Trup1aya

Halo 5 Scorpio improvements.

Halo 6 early beta access with Crackdown 3. A very brief tease of Halo 6. I can even imagine none of that as well. I still feel they need to repair the bridges burnt by MCC, big upgrade with H3A, a PC release, that time may be gone and it's better spent on Halo 6 but I just don't know.

Thinking about Halo 6, I really want the game to look like Halo. I don't like the current art styles which could be any sci fi.

It's a tough call, the trilogy is to finish, what do they do from art style to game play to characters. Improve it but ride out this game on the same themes. That's my worry, it's kinda tainted already.

H4-6 isn't a trilogy. It's been referred to as a saga at this point.

Karl2177

Projectiles on dedicated servers can be a non-issue. One of Halo 3's biggest issues was that it was prioritizing positioning of the Equipment class over the entire map. So that grenade that is rolling down the hill on the other side of the map is getting a higher priority than other more important things.

Trup1aya

Let's retcon Halo 5 then.

The start of Halo 6 chief is waking up from a dream. Halo 5 was just a nightmare.

I'm down!

Since losing his companion in the fight to save the world from a deranged Forerunner, Master Chief has been battling nightmares about Cortana returning to lead an evil AI rebellion.

These dreams motivate Chief to go rogue, don a cloak, and scour the desert seeking closure regarding Cortana's demise.

terrible but better

I'm down!

Since losing his companion in the fight to save the world from a deranged Forerunner, Master Chief has been battling nightmares about Cortana returning to lead an evil AI rebellion.

These dreams motivate Chief to go rogue, don a cloak, and scour the desert seeking closure regarding Cortana's demise.

terrible but better

Nah, Chief was just unknowingly stuck in a borked multiplayer simulation for a little while and has now returned to real life in Halo 6. It explains Warden Eternal glitching and showing up all the time in H5.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Projectiles on dedicated servers can be a non-issue. One of Halo 3's biggest issues was that it was prioritizing positioning of the Equipment class over the entire map. So that grenade that is rolling down the hill on the other side of the map is getting a higher priority than other more important things.

That is fascinating. Do you have a source about this? Not that I don't believe you given how crappy the netcode is, I'd just love to know more.

Trup1aya

Nah, Chief was just unknowingly stuck in a borked multiplayer simulation for a little while and has now returned to real life in Halo 6. It explains Warden Eternal glitching and showing up all the time in H5.

Opening Scene

[sarah palmer] good work team. Ending simulation

As chief begins to tune his senses to the real world, he he notices Lasky standing over the simulation monitor, he doesn't look happy

[Lasky] Chief, your going to have to explain your failure to follow orders after the Argent Moon exercise. This obviously doesn't reflect well on your personality assessment. there're threatening to remove you from service.

[Chief] with all do respect sir, that entire simulation was a waste of 5 hours. How am I the one who should be removed from service?

Chief cuts his eyes toward the simulation narrative technician, Ryan Breed. Breed can't see Chief's through the visor, but he can feel the discontent they are emitting

[Breed] I'll have you know, sir team Osiris liked it. A guy can't please everyone. Right?

Breed directs the question to the bald maintenance man who'd be listening to the exchange. The maintenance man shrugs, then nods in agreement

[maintenance man] mixed reviews

T-0800

Let's retcon Halo 5 then.

The start of Halo 6 chief is waking up from a dream. Halo 5 was just a nightmare.

Why not skip 4 as well? I played a little bit of 4 today and it couldn't hold my interest for 10 minutes. I then popped in 3 just to have a look and played Sierra 117 from beginning to end.

jelly

A retcon of Halo 4 and 5 isn't going to happen. The best we can hope for is how well the pieces fall after Halo 6 that allow better stories to be told with fun encounters. Halo 4 didn't set the stall out in a good way, Halo 5 tried to go another direction while using what it could and they've played their hand with the ending. Got to see it through now. I'm not overly optimistic with the story but you can always make something of the game play.

Will the Universe be a faction mess post Halo 6. Humans, covenant split on their new master. Accept peace and authoritarian leadership or go to war for true freedom, will that cause divides as the battle commences and life is lost.

I think a possible neat game play aspect is sabotage, special forces, stealth, small groups against the odds on human worlds etc. Getting away from super fleets and back to scraps on the ground. Fast attacks to weaken the enemy, gaining the trust of locals or avoiding loyalists. Maybe enemies are an army of humans and covenant rather than Promethean fodder who get promoted to boss, heavy generals.

Literally the worst thing they could possibly do right now is retcon 5. The story was like 75% setup, and you want to roll back the clock right before the payoff?

Smh.

Agreed with the post above me, there's a lot of really cool stuff that could come outta the circumstances we're left with at the end of 5.

Halo 4 story - I enjoyed the dynamic between Chief and Cortana, actually intrigued by the super powerful Didact. Then was super disappointed that a cutscene is what kills him and then we lose cortana.

Halo 5 story - I enjoyed the blue team missions and the sanghelios mission with locke. the story is forgettable as i dont remember much in between we fights too many wardens (which could have been cool but was a copy paste boss battle to fill time - lol) then i remember that cortana loves chief and wont kill him or whoever is with him. dawwwwww. locke involvement is forgettable. we like buck because of odst and because he is nathon muthafuckin fillon.

halo 6 story - my guess it will be about saving humans from ai(the created) controlled outposts so we can gather forces. then someone is going to tell us a secret they found on how to access the domain directly so we can skip all of the guardians and see the alpha version of cortana - the physical one we seen is just a representation of what she wanted to look like for john. bada bing bada boom we get stuck in the domain annnd end scene. we then play the rest of the game, about 80% with locke and co and maybe 1 or 2 arbitor ones of us trying to find clues on how to rescue blue team from the domain because it was a trap all along lol. the end will be some type of struggle boss fight on blue team trying to escape and locke + co with arbitor and the swords trying to keep a portal open (ala firefight style) at this point of this ridiculous guess that might be true i dont even want to end the game.

Cranster

Banned
I didn't find Halo 5's story to be bad, granted it was not excellent either. But it was better than Halo 3's and Halo: Reach's in alot of respects (Most of Halo 3 was filler and Reach was just a giant fuck you to TFoR fans). Halo 4 had better writing but it was too short for a campaign and introduced too many elements with no explanation where Halo 5 was too short and had too many characters so it felt rushed and flat at times.

I do agree though that Halo 5 does set up a solid foundation from a story perspective especially when combined with Halo Wars 2.

jem0208

No matter how good Halo 6 story is, it won't change how bad Halo 5 story was.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Taken as a single entity, sure, H5 is a bit rubbish. That's because it's almost entirely setup for 6. However, if you take H6 and H5 as a whole i think it has potential.

A good finish can make up for a slow start.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think that's necessarily true. Taken as a single entity, sure, H5 is a bit rubbish. That's because it's almost entirely setup for 6. However, if you take H6 and H5 as a whole i think it has potential.

A good finish can make up for a slow start.

Setting existing stuff in new, better context with a new story requires massive amount of skill. I don't think 343i story team got that.
A good ending is important, and like you say, it can make up for some stuff. But not everything. Of course, the Reclaimer saga had a pretty good start with Halo 4, it is the middle part that sucks (Halo 5, what happens between H4 and 5 in fucking comics).

And nothing will change the fact Halo 5 didn't feel like a good experience. That will always color my perception of the story. (And i assume this is the case for others who didn't like it.)
Maybe H6 will be good (though i doubt it, i'm mostly hoping maybe, - just - maybe it will play more like classic Halos). But Halo 5 is what it is.

Top Bottom