• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

Fuchsdh

Firefight is better than the Warzone version!

Eh, maybe you could modify the settings, but you're still playing Firefight with Reach's sandbox. WZ FF leans more on the WZ side of things than I'd prefer (I'd love an ODST-styled survival setup with limited lives but the REQ system added onto it) but I've had more fun playing WZFF than I ever did with Reach, which mostly turned into "oh boy everyone's gonna' play Arcadefight to grind commendations."

Eh, maybe you could modify the settings, but you're still playing Firefight with Reach's sandbox. WZ FF leans more on the WZ side of things than I'd prefer (I'd love an ODST-styled survival setup with limited lives but the REQ system added onto it) but I've had more fun playing WZFF than I ever did with Reach, which mostly turned into "oh boy everyone's gonna' play Arcadefight to grind commendations."
Or you find the best spot to holdout and never adopt another strategy. WZFF requires more dynamic decision making, gets less repetitive.

Yeah the survival aspect is the reason why I prefer it. Using REQs is definitely a big plus for 5.

Hm, fair enough.

Although ODST's firefight is far better than Reach's.

Agreed.

Hitta93

Banned
There is nothing redeeming about Halo 4. Was garbage in almost all aspects. Reach was superior in everything, even the MP with some tweaks. Instant respawns, killcams, global ordnance, personal ordnance, promethean vision, so many missing things at launch. Teen angst MC and that whole storyline was irrelevant. Spartan Ops was garbage compared to Reach firefight which itself paled in comparison to ODST firefight. You may hate Reach and think its the worst but even Pros preferred playing it to H4.

H5 is just different altogether. I don't even really consider it Halo. I consider it something all new. Halo to me was CE to 3, ODST and Reach were parts of the whole. H4 doesn't exist like Gears:Judgment in my eyes.

Bloom alone makes me prefer 4. Shooting just didn't feel as good in Reach. I'd rather play Halo 4's mp with all the random ordnance etc. than Reach with bloom.

Also I don't hate Reach at all.

Hm, fair enough.

Although ODST's firefight is far better than Reach's.
Bloom isn't even the issue for me in Reach, it was Armor Lock and making invisibility an armor ability.

Honestly, I really don't get how you can like Reach but not like 4 or 5.

Reach to me is easily the worst Halo title. Besides the sheer amount of content there's not a single thing in Reach which I prefer to any other Halo title.

I love Reach's campaign, firefight, and casual playlists.

HTupolev

Bloom alone makes me prefer 4.
Bloom alone makes me prefer Reach. It's a bad kludge, but less bad than doing nothing about utility weapons at range. I'd rather feel like I'm waiting for the game to catch up with me than kill map flow and LOS design.

Fuchsdh

Someday I'll write a megapost explaining why each Halo game is deeply flawed in its own unique way, but today is not that day.

I don't think "deeply flawed" is the term I'd use, but I like all the games for different reasons. Even at their worst they're still in the top tier of shooters for me.

I don't think "deeply flawed" is the term I'd use, but I like all the games for different reasons. Even at their worst they're still in the top tier of shooters for me.
Yup, for instance Halo 3 and 5 are inverses of eachother for me.

Halo 3: Favorite campaign, least favorite multiplayer
Halo 5: Hate the story, favorite multiplayer.

Both games of extremes.

Halo CE is my favorite overall, good multiplayer good campaign.

Bulby

Any chance of a native 4K 60 MC collection (with working MP) update alongside a Halo 3 Anniversary this E3?

m23

Any chance of a native 4K 60 MC collection (with working MP) update alongside a Halo 3 Anniversary this E3?

There is no Halo 3 anniversary this year. Spencer already said no Gears or Halo fps this year.

In terms of an update to MCC, highly doubt it.

Masterz1337

Neo Member

I have a love hate relationship with everything after H1. I've certainly invested my time into them and have fun, but when I take a step back and look at nearly every one, I just can't help but feel like the majority are mediocre compared to other games in my library. I am sure part of it is that I love clinging to the parts of them that still live on from H1, but no game nails it completely like H1 did.

Even 16 years later, every time I play through H1 I have nothing by 100% enjoyment and a smile on my face, where the other games make me grimace and groan. Except ODST, but even then that's like only like only 1/3rd of what I expect from a Halo game. Which is fine for what it is, but an ODST that was fleshed out to be a full game would prob be the only thing that could top H1 for me.

It was hilarious to shoot camo snipers from other side of a map. The ripple is visible if you know what to look for... and too often people moved slightly too fast and revealed themselves slightly.
Yup, in both Reach and 4. I especially remember wrecking camo snipers on Ragnarok's top mid. Most of us had too much pride for that bullshit.

Fuchsdh

More like, PC players will endlessly complain now that they have it cause its not on steam.

Oh yeah, damn, forgot about that. "Windows 10 is trash! I want to keep using the same operating system for a decade!"

To be fair, updating via the Windows Store is still touch and go. MS has to get its shit together on that front.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
More like, PC players will endlessly complain now that they have it cause its not on steam.

Or they just won't play it. It seems despite the outcry for Halo on the PC every time a Halo title is released... the community ignores it. Every time I hop on H5, H2, or Halo: Online it's always around 20-30 people playing that game, if that. For HW2 matchmaking takes forever and it has to match me with someone outside my skill range.

Karl2177

Or they just won't play it. It seems despite the outcry for Halo on the PC every time a Halo title is released... the community ignores it. Every time I hop on H5, H2, or Halo: Online it's always around 20-30 people playing that game, if that. For HW2 matchmaking takes forever and it has to match me with someone outside my skill range.
H5 has input issues, H2 doesn't work anymore, and last I heard Online was also taken down but there might have been a Dewrito drop since then that fixed it.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
H5 on all platforms have aiming issues, H2V still works due to a community project, and the Dewrito fork of H:O is still active and pushing out updates.

I mean these games have some issues, but so does every Halo game on the XB1 and most of them on the 360. For whatever reasons, PC players don't seem to stick with Halo long, regardless of the state of the game and support. Even in their most popular days, Halo Online and H2V never had serious player counts. And HW2 has a significantly lower pop than the Xbox version despite being "superior" on the PC.

I think the answer is just that people who really care about Halo are invested in the Xbox. And those of us who would like to play on PC, will always have our old friends and community on Xbox and cross platform play between the 2 will always be controversial due to input methods.

H5 has input issues, H2 doesn't work anymore, and last I heard Online was also taken down but there might have been a Dewrito drop since then that fixed it.

Ok let me put it to you this way, are you saying that when the next FPS Halo comes out (and lets say its PC port is close to perfect) the PC community will not consistently complain about something?

lol

Ill believe that when i see it.

Ok let me put it to you this way, are you saying that when the next FPS Halo comes out (and lets say its PC port is close to perfect) the PC community will not consistently complain about something?

lol

Ill believe that when i see it.

We consistently complain too(for good reason), you're splitting hairs.

Madness

And the inevitable lower population and complaints to make cross play a thing like Gears. They will be happy however that they will at least have a port that is Scorpio based and would be high 4k fidelity etc.

I agree, although sadly I doubt it will have a cross-play component. I don't want to match against KB/M players but I'd want to play customs with anyone.

I imagine cross play with PC users in custom games and campaign will be permitted like Gears 4.

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess it would be nice to have a toggle in case you really didn't want to play with PC guys but leave it off by default.

The one thing it could upset people in is BTB as social BTB would be the only option. Though I wouldn't mind ranked BTB if they had good maps. Avalanche remake let's go!

H5 on all platforms have aiming issues, H2V still works due to a community project, and the Dewrito fork of H:O is still active and pushing out updates.

I mean these games have some issues, but so does every Halo game on the XB1 and most of them on the 360. For whatever reasons, PC players don't seem to stick with Halo long, regardless of the state of the game and support. Even in their most popular days, Halo Online and H2V never had serious player counts. And HW2 has a significantly lower pop than the Xbox version despite being "superior" on the PC.

I think the answer is just that people who really care about Halo are invested in the Xbox. And those of us who would like to play on PC, will always have our old friends and community on Xbox and cross platform play between the 2 will always be controversial due to input methods.
Eh, I think you're underestimating the impact Halo 6 could have on PC. Sure H2V didn't have crazy player counts but it was also released 3 years after the Xbox version came out.

Halo Wars isn't real Halo to me and to some people because it's not an FPS.

Just imagine if popular streamers like Summit were playing H6 and what that would do for the community and perception of the series.

Halo 5 got so much right o the Arena side of things. There are some iffy maps, automatics need to be tweaked, etc. Despite its flaws, by and large it has the best weapon sandbox and gunplay. Moving forward, with the new radar, less claustrophobic maps and a proper iteration of BTB, I can see the PC community embracing Halo 6. I honestly think they should be done with Warzone though, I'd much prefer and revamp on Invasion or at the very least improve the variety of gametypes Warzone.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I know they aren't competitive, but I'd sure like to see at least a couple 4v4 maps with a warthog.

I know they aren't competitive, but I'd sure like to see at least a couple 4v4 maps with a warthog.

I think what I'd like to see them do is devote most of the dev maps to competitive (more careful attention to spawns, geometry, etc. really helps those out), and fill out the ranks of the casual maps with Forge. Either dev-made or rope in the Cartographers. I'd say that it's pretty fair to say Forge is robust enough for that now, and they'd be good for something like the silly vehicle-enabled 4v4s.

Fuchsdh

Or a Ghost. Just a vehicle would be nice. It's definitely something I've missed in 4 and 5 (although I guess 4 sorta' had Harvest at least.)

Top Bottom