• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

While were at it, let's just have bind skull activated in all modes on default, because screw everyone else, right?!
Notice how I said "imo" in that post you quoted and my follow-up post saying how I was simply interested in reading opinions on the contrary.

But it's okay, I forgive both of you nubs. Not Karl though. Especially not Karl.
After bringing it up I'm pretty sure we decided that the normal maps were somehow inverted, meaning that the texture for the light only renders when its visibility intersects with the another part of the model. This means you can see it from the side, but not the front.
Halo 6 preorder cancelled.

On a side note, I'd like a blind skull that doesn't take away the weapon.

Yup. I have never used blind because of that. They just need the weapon there without the HUD, including the crosshair. I would love that so much.

I play most of my single player games without a crosshair if possible. It's way more immersive and enjoyable. Makes the most mundane of headshots more satisfying and rewarding. I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn without it and it's great.

Cranster

Banned
I've been replaying the mainline Halo games on Legendary default on the MCC and there is definitely something wrong with the enemy damage output in Halo 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall after Halo 2 Bungie made Jackal Snipers a two shot kill on Legendary in Halo 3 rather than a one shot kill. Definitely seems like an error.

Woorloog

Banned
I've been replaying the mainline Halo games on Legendary default on the MCC and there is definitely something wrong with the enemy damage output in Halo 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall after Halo 2 Bungie made Jackal Snipers a two shot kill on Legendary in Halo 3 rather than a one shot kill. Definitely seems like an error.
Nah, working as intended. ODST did change it though.

horkrux

I also didn't really have a problem with it during my recent Legendary playthrough in the MCC. Halo 2 on the other hand... wow.. those jackals turn the game into an absolute dumpster fire on Legendary. I was speechless. Did they playtest that at all

jem0208

Playing through Arrival on the 360 on legendary right now.

Can confirm jackal snipers are a fucking pain in the ass.

Also, I know people complain about the aiming in Halo 5 but damn, it feels so much better than Halo 3. Halo 3 on the 360 feels rubbish in comparison.

Fuchsdh

I think the difference is in H3 they're much more likely to whiff the first shot to give you a chance to spot them (along with their light-up heads). But yeah they're still a 1HK.

Woorloog

Banned
Me, i find the Jackal Snipers to be the least of my worries in Halo 2 Legendary... But then i've played the game so many times (on Legendary) i remember their locations and deal with them first.
Still don't do well against Brute packs, that final section in Uprising is hellish, two Wraiths and respawning Brute packs until you get a checkpoint...

Still, it is still a wonder Bungie thought they'd be fine as they are. In Halo 3, Jackal Snipers at least miss on the first shot nearly always. But i guess they simply ran out of time from really testing them, or figured they're just fine on lower difficulties. I mean, Halo 2 Legendary co-op resets to checkpoint if either player dies so it is deliberately made to be really difficult.

And speaking of difficulties...
Halo CE Legendary is mostly tedious. The way the Covie weapons work, they're not a big threat for most part but damn the enemies have a lot of health. Just takes time to bring them down. EDIT Flood with Rocket Launchers are an exception though. And for some reason Flood levels tend to have poor checkpoints or their triggers are glitchy.
Halo 3's Legendary is too easy to be honest. Mechanically it is fine though Flood Stalkers are slightly too tough to be fun to deal with, especially since higher-powered weaponry is scarce on Flood levels (Brute Shot is excellent against them but not always available).
ODST is too easy as well, beyond Coastal Highway which suffers from Buck's inability to shoot properly and at right targets. Ironically this is due to ODSTs increased health compared to the Master Chief
Reach isn't that difficult either but the flawed game mechanics cause massive issues and slow down playing considerably. Whoever thought it would be a good idea for AI to be able to head-shot the player.... i hate you.
Halo 4 is easy on Legendary for most part, the only real difficulties are sections with Banshees (when they don't get stuck) because the AI is ridiculously accurate with them even from long distances. The third mission is especially bad about this because the Banshee sections are really small areas as well.
No comment on Halo 5, not sure i'll even bother playing it on Legendary. Just not good or fun enough to play in the first place.

horkrux

Me, i find the Jackal Snipers to be the least of my worries in Halo 2 Legendary... But then i've played the game so many times (on Legendary) i remember their locations and deal with them first.
Still don't do well against Brute packs, that final section in Uprising is hellish, two Wraiths and respawning Brute packs until you get a checkpoint...

How about sniping the brutes and/or stealing a wraith? I didn't find that section to be that difficult (the fucking snipers tho...), but then again the games seem to save whenever they feel like it so I might have gotten lucky with checkpoints.

Woorloog

Banned
How about sniping the brutes and/or stealing a wraith? I didn't find that section to be that difficult (the fucking snipers tho...), but then again the games seem to save whenever they feel like it so I might have gotten lucky with checkpoints.

The problem is, i usually don't have anti-vehicle weapons at that point so i can't remove the other Wraith from the area. As long as both are there, hijacking one Wraith is too difficult. And even if you do, Brute Shots deal such massive amount of damage...
What one needs to do is to cloak and move fast to the armory, with some luck, it triggers the Elite reinforcements (and a checkpoint) and prevents the respawning Brute pack.

Still, it is still a wonder Bungie thought they'd be fine as they are. In Halo 3, Jackal Snipers at least miss on the first shot nearly always. But i guess they simply ran out of time from really testing them, or figured they're just fine on lower difficulties. I mean, Halo 2 Legendary co-op resets to checkpoint if either player dies so it is deliberately made to be really difficult.

And speaking of difficulties...
Halo CE Legendary is mostly tedious. The way the Covie weapons work, they're not a big threat for most part but damn the enemies have a lot of health. Just takes time to bring them down. EDIT Flood with Rocket Launchers are an exception though. And for some reason Flood levels tend to have poor checkpoints or their triggers are glitchy.
Halo 3's Legendary is too easy to be honest. Mechanically it is fine though Flood Stalkers are slightly too tough to be fun to deal with, especially since higher-powered weaponry is scarce on Flood levels (Brute Shot is excellent against them but not always available).
ODST is too easy as well, beyond Coastal Highway which suffers from Buck's inability to shoot properly and at right targets. Ironically this is due to ODSTs increased health compared to the Master Chief
Reach isn't that difficult either but the flawed game mechanics cause massive issues and slow down playing considerably. Whoever thought it would be a good idea for AI to be able to head-shot the player.... i hate you.
Halo 4 is easy on Legendary for most part, the only real difficulties are sections with Banshees (when they don't get stuck) because the AI is ridiculously accurate with them even from long distances. The third mission is especially bad about this because the Banshee sections are really small areas as well.
No comment on Halo 5, not sure i'll even bother playing it on Legendary. Just not good or fun enough to play in the first place.

The worst part of Halo 5 legendary is the Warden Fights. Did not have much issues besides the warden on my solo run. Fuck those Warden Eternal fights

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The worst part of Halo 5 legendary is the Warden Fights. Did not have much issues besides the warden on my solo run. Fuck those Warden Eternal fights

I like the first fight. But yeah, the repeating and duplicating/triplicating of them sucks.

horkrux

The problem is, i usually don't have anti-vehicle weapons at that point so i can't remove the other Wraith from the area. As long as both are there, hijacking one Wraith is too difficult. And even if you do, Brute Shots deal such massive amount of damage...
What one needs to do is to cloak and move fast to the armory, with some luck, it triggers the Elite reinforcements (and a checkpoint) and prevents the respawning Brute pack.

One of the wraiths moved over to the anterior area while I was picking off brutes coming out of the door, but I don't know whether that usually happens or not lol

Woorloog

Banned
One of the wraiths moved over to the anterior area while I was picking off brutes coming out of the door, but I don't know whether that usually happens or not lol

In practice, each open area has one Wraith. Sometimes they move oddly though. And at worst they fire improbably accurate mortar shots.

Speaking of that, Brutes are really, really good at throwing grenades. 100 meter throw with perfect accuracy is their thing... In Halo 2. In Halo 3, they like to stick spikes 'nades to each other.

CliQ

rock3.gif

FINALLY

IHaveIce

Banned
This is one of the worst ranking lists I've ever seen...

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-halo...m_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer_grtw

9. Wars 2
8. Wars
7. Guardians
6. H2
5. H4
4. ODST
3. CE
2. H3
1. Reach

In what universe is Reach the best Halo and 4 better than 5 or 2...?
What the flying fuck.

No wonder it us so hard to make a Halo game, the tastes in the community are too diverse.. I blame Bungie by making every game feeling different and Reach being something completely different, the worst MP the franchise had, not even H4 was as bad, but it was close

Trup1aya

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-halo...m_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer_grtw

9. Wars 2
8. Wars
7. Guardians
6. H2
5. H4
4. ODST
3. CE
2. H3
1. Reach

Eww...

Reading the list though, he seems to value the campaign heavily in his sentiment against 5... which is understandable (even though is personal place 5 above 4 and reach despite them both having much better stories)

But 4 being so high, and Reach being #1, I can't stomach it.

op_ivy

Coming from someone who can find things to love about all halo games, the stupidest thing about that list is directly comparing the RTS wars games to the mainline FPS series. Why?

their justification seems all over the place and not really fair game to game. i almost want to say their heaviest lean was on the story vs other pillars of what make halo great.

op_ivy

"Halo 4’s campaign really shines, with smart level design that never falls prey to Bungie’s bad habit of making huge spaces that are easy to get lost in."

Alright!

Ade

Finally did Reach solo on legendary.

While its one of my favourites in the series, its not much fun on legendary. Still, another lone wolf off the list

Fuchsdh

Finally did Reach solo on legendary.

While its one of my favourites in the series, its not much fun on legendary. Still, another lone wolf off the list

I personally only find CE and ODST actually "fun" on legendary as opposed to being a chore. It just feels like it strips down all your tactical options to noob combo/shield stripping and headshots.

And GamesRadar has always had some weird opinions of Halo, so that their ranking is similarly atypical doesn't surprise me. :)

To be fair, Halo Reach had the complete package at launch. An improved Forge-mode, fully customizable firefight, Invasion, the most extensive armor customization options in a Halo game (to date!), an epic campaign and my personal favorite, the most fluid and functional UI I've experienced for a Halo game. I could go on and on.

I know bloom, armor abilities and the disc maps are a bit controversial but I've had my fun with Halo Reach despite its flaws. I have the feeling we will never see a more complete experience at launch for a Halo game or any other triple A game for that matter in a long time.

Karl2177

9. Wars 2
8. Wars
7. Guardians
6. H2
5. H4
4. ODST
3. CE
2. H3
1. Reach

Ummmmmmmmm... In terms of how complete the feature set was at launch... Ummmmmmmmm... Customization, maybe... Yeah I don't know.

"Halo 4’s campaign really shines, with smart level design that never falls prey to Bungie’s bad habit of making huge spaces that are easy to get lost in."

Alright!
Lol. Wait a minute. Did Jem write this article under a pseudonym? Because that's one real bad opinion.

op_ivy

Ummmmmmmmm... In terms of how complete the feature set was at launch... Ummmmmmmmm... Customization, maybe... Yeah I don't know.

Lol. Wait a minute. Did Jem write this article under a pseudonym? Because that's one real bad opinion.

i agree with Jem most of the time and do think halo 4's levels were well designed for what they were (linear corridors), but one of the best things about halo is also the wide open spaces that allow you to get lost.

Toa Axis

Alot of his theories are way off base though as he goes overboard at times with his hate of 343i.

LateNight isn't the best when it comes to crafting effective arguments (he has been getting better at it as of late, however). However, even among some dubious justifications or reasonings, he has some solid points that I feel are still worth examining.

Madness

I hope for Halo 6. Org support including skins are built in right off the bat, and HCS has not only a giant crowdfunded 1.5 million+ HWC, but like 4 US regional LAN's for 150k or 250k each. Have more Europe and Latin America and Australia events.

jem0208

That balloon pic. Even CS:Go and CoD pros are laughing or memeing it now.
It's a massive shame that this event is going to be known/remembered for a couple of misleading pictures rather than a fantastic stream and some really great Halo.

Fuchsdh

It's dumb, but that's what it is. A shitty portion of a venue isn't really a big issue in the grand scheme of things compared to stuff like the lack of LAN setups.

Madness

People will forgot about the venue thing tommorrow especially if the final are intense.

Doubtful. Even if we get the most hyped finals tomorrow, all anyone will remember from this is Halo pros joining in with other pros and sites like Kotaku shitting on it. At least the matches were great.

Fuchsdh

Doubtful. Even if we get the most hyped finals tomorrow, all anyone will remember from this is Halo pros joining in with other pros and sites like Kotaku shitting on it. At least the matches were great.
The people shitting on Halo in gaming side aren't likely to ever be playing Halo so it's not really a major concern.

Detective

Am optimistic about Halo 6 in some way, but there has to be some changes.

Improving the MM system big time, matching parties vs parties and less vs solo ,and low skill vs low skill.

If dedicated servers are still a thing they need to find a way to make it at least equal to everybody and not giving the advantage to whoever is near the server like in Halo 5.

The big ambition is Warzone 2. That's where most players will go. They need to really make it special this time. Adding more maps , modes and objectives is the key. Balancing the vehicles and reqs.

Find a way to get players busy and grinding ,and I don't mean something like Achilles armor, which in my opinion is the reasons why many stopped playing. You are locking something behind killings others, I mean come on, it had to be abused. Add the to that the horrible MM system full 12 man team against solo, what's the fun in being farmed? 4-5 matches like that and people will just lose interest.

So there has to be a way to let team vs team in the next entry without limiting the fireteam to 6 players, which also resulted in low player counts.( work on your MM system)

Warzone can be really huge in Halo 6 if executed in the right way.

Bring back all the popular game modes from previous Halos from day one.

Bring back the art style,

Remove clamber so you can make fun maps. Get Certain Affinity.

Get Marty back,

Bring back the Chief , not the one you have developed. Concentrate on him and fuck Osiris.

MLG

And maybe we can get the old glorious Halo days back.

op_ivy

I wish the art style would go back to h3. Still stunning, very halo. Colorful and unique.

Detective

I wish the art style would go back to h3. Still stunning, very halo. Colorful and unique.

I've been playing the MCC for last days now, it's just amazing what Bungie have done. The art style and the campaign levels, the music, everything is far and beyond what 343 have accomplished this far.

Top Bottom