• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

I'll never understand the obsession with Steam sales, friends.

Quite literally most of the games that get bought on there will be played for 2 hours tops, if that even.

Why are nerds so eager to give away their money for no reason?

Says the guys who has a WWE Network subscription ;_;

Yeah, people should speak out. Worked well for Dolph...

This whole idea that "the guys need to step up!" is bullshit. Most guys who say anything are either shot down or even further pushed down.
Dolph didn't speak out to the right people. his burial was a liiiiiiil ridiculous tho
But I like The Vaudevillains and Adam Rose.

I'm not entirely sure why you keep coming in here since you hate everything.
he likes Randy Orton, which... makes sense

Yeah, people should speak out. Worked well for Dolph...

This whole idea that "the guys need to step up!" is bullshit. Most guys who say anything are either shot down or even further pushed down.
Dolph is such a horrible example though. He's been pushed over and over and over and hasn't been able to deliver. And I really don't really believe the whole "speaking out on Twitter buried him" thing either.

I understand what you are saying Zord but it goes both ways. Look at someone like Barrett. He took that gimmick and ran with it. Done a fantastic job too. But what the fuck is Emma suppose to do in her situation? She was fucked from the beginning.

cm_punk_bio_20130925.png

Difference between updating your blog and approaching Vince McMahon's office

Punk is the exception I'd say. Post-attitude era, "stepping up and speaking out" just isn't a viable option for a lot of guys.

They go out and put on amazing matches that can't be ignored, a bit like TNA did and the women's division in early-mid 00 did.

You can't pu on amazing matches in five minutes. Even Bryan has admitted that.

Quite literally most of the games that get bought on there will be played for 2 hours tops, if that even.

Because Steam sales something something cards

The whole idea that every call up needs to be an eventual world champion is bullshit, too. Sometimes its alright for a wrestler to just be a solid worker with an interesting character who can be legit in the midcard.

I agree, the Ascension should never be called up because they'll be neither

Heel

I mean, hey, if you're genuinely into a company that has:

The Vaudevillians
The Ascension
I Don't Get Hyped, I Stay Hyped
Adrian Neville
Adam Rose
CJ Parker

more power to you. But complaining that people find that shit laughable smacks of the bronies getting indignant when they find out that the rest of the world is bewildered by grown men who watch cartoons about little baby ponies.

I just got confirmation from Bryan Alvarez that this was indeed a shoot.

You can't pu on amazing matches in five minutes. Even Bryan has admitted that.

I'm not asking for 5-Star Classics, but you do the best you can do in each 5 minutes you get and people will start to notice. They might even eventually care, cheer, buy your shirt and then the office might notice.

Can you use the money made from the cards in real-life, or just the Steam store?

I still have no idea what the heck Steam cards are.

Steam cards are items that drop on steam when you play a game. So if you're playing Gone Home it'll drop cards into your steam inventory. You can sell cards to others, who want to craft badges and in return you get Steam Store credit. You can use credit to buy Steam games.

I've made £25 selling steam cards this sale so far. Wasn't even difficult.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I understand what you are saying Zord but it goes both ways. Look at someone like Barrett. He took that gimmick and ran with it. Done a fantastic job too. But what the fuck is Emma suppose to do in her situation? She was fucked from the beginning.

Ride it out. She's in her Ringmaster phase. She knows it's not going to get her anywhere, but eventually they'll reboot her because WWE has the attention span of a moth. In that time, establish connections, talk to Creative, say 'hey i think this ideas really cool, what do you think?'

Don't go crying to film your first shoot video when they shoot down your idea. Fucking come back the next week and say, 'ok how about this idea instead?'

The whole idea that every call up needs to be an eventual world champion is bullshit, too. Sometimes its alright for a wrestler to just be a solid worker with an interesting character who can be legit in the midcard.

What is this "legit in the midcard" that you speak of?

PInk Tape

Banned

People can't resist a deal, friend
and wasting their money on something they don't need like us :/

UberTag

I like the ones who think Punk ever comes back for a non-money-related reason

Literally the smartest guy for knowing when to leave
The writing was on the wall as soon as Vince and company started dodging PPV bonus questions. Hell, the joke's on anyone with that company if they think they're seeing a dime of it based on any kind of "hard numbers". More like favored folks in the company (i.e. Cena) get a bonus and everyone else gets nothing. And they'll take it because that's still better than what they'll get elsewhere.

Even if you call Dolph an irrelevant example, my point is that you can't say "guys need to step up" when all WWE has done backstage for the last 10+ years is create a culture of fear.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even if you call Dolph an irrelevant example, my point is that you can't say "guys need to step up" when all WWE has done backstage for the last 10+ years is create a culture of fear.

You really think they didn't do that in the 80s? or in the 90s?

Again, 'Cowboy' Bret Hart. Bret said he wanted to do singles, and he thought he was ready. Creative told him he'd be a cowboy. Bret came back and said, 'I don't want to be a cowboy.' Not 'I guess i'm a cowboy now#2smarky4u #legitheelheat'

Can you use the money made from the cards in real-life, or just the Steam store?

I still have no idea what the heck Steam cards are.

Real life, hahaha. Nah, only for Steam purchases.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some backhanded shit going on behind the scenes though because people do go crazy for them.

Ted DiBiase
He held the WWF Championship belt in 1988 after purchasing it from André the Giant, but this period is not recognized by WWE as an official title reign.

Trying to think why I don't remember this, but then I was only 4 at the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some backhanded shit going on behind the scenes though because people do go crazy for them.

Steam has tapped into 'The Gamer' obsession with E-Peen one-up-manship, it's pretty clever. This entire Sale Meta-Game is basically Steam saying 'We know you're crack addicts that don't know when to stop, so here's a game to play. You need to spend more money than the other team to win, and you MIGHT... MIGHT... win 3 FREE games. YES FREE GAMES! FREE GAMES YOU HAVE PAID MONEY FOR TO WIN!"

All logic goes out of the window. Steam Cards are the same. You level up by crafting a complete set of Steam Cards into a badge, so people basically want to be the highest level on Steam. Same as those people who try and have the biggest collection.

Heel

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some evidence of this supposed culture of fear.

Again, 'Cowboy' Bret Hart. Bret said he wanted to do singles, and he thought he was ready. Creative told him he'd be a cowboy. Bret came back and said, 'I don't want to be a cowboy.' Not 'I guess i'm a cowboy now#2smarky4u #legitheelheat'

This is not the 90's of the 80's. Back then, there were alternative places to work. There were territories. Then there was WCW. Now, if a guy speaks up and it costs him his job in WWE, he is fucked and confined to indies/Japan for the rest of his career. WWE knows that, so they willingly treat the talent like they do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ted DiBiase

Trying to think why I don't remember this, but then I was only 4 at the time.

I definitely remember it. Andre was so tired at that point, but I still marked.

Do you remember Owen winning the WWF title? It's still real to me, damnit.
This is not the 90's of the 80's. Back then, there were alternative places to work. There were territories. Then there was WCW. Now, if a guy speaks up and it costs him his job in WWE, he is fucked and confined to indies/Japan for the rest of his career. WWE knows that, so they willingly treat the talent like they do.

NJPW now is in a better position and paid better than every territory(including WCW) in 1991. They do need more proper competition think we can all agree on that, but if the wrestler truly cared about looking bad, he'd take the pay cut and go work in New Japan(who I hear are hiring gaijins by the dozens)

Dragonzord has a point some what. NXT is more libral with gimmicks. Tyson kidd is in the middle of reinventing himself. poeple should be willing to go into the D-league a bit a test things out so when they come up they can own it.

look at sandow 8 years and he finally hit one out of the park

Steam has tapped into 'The Gamer' obsession with E-Peen one-up-manship, it's pretty clever. This entire Sale Meta-Game is basically Steam saying 'We know you're crack addicts that don't know when to stop, so here's a game to play. You need to spend more money than the other team to win, and you MIGHT... MIGHT... win 3 FREE games. YES FREE GAMES! FREE GAMES YOU HAVE PAID MONEY FOR TO WIN!"

All logic goes out of the window. Steam Cards are the same. You level up by crafting a complete set of Steam Cards into a badge, so people basically want to be the highest level on Steam. Same as those people who try and have the biggest collection.

Yeah, all this shit really soured me on Valve. I know they're a corporation and all that jazz, but this exploitation seems too much. Plus the fact that all they're doing now is F2P shit instead of doing great SP campaigns doesn't help their standing with me. Ah well.

I still think it's funny how WWE didn't want Aries on the return season of Tough Enough. He would have fucking ran circles around the other people on that season.

Sblargh

Banned

Honestly, who knows what goes on backstage? What I, seeing shoot interviews and whatnot got, was mixed signals. You have to be reliable and do everything they say and, at the same time, you have to stand your ground. The reality is probably a mix of both, of knowing when, and how, to pick your fights.

But this is my problem with it: WWE isn't how it used to be, where people were playing characters, but they were doing it without scripts, so they had to have a grasp on their characters because a lot of the creative aspect was up to them. It is a huge entertainment corporation with paid writers, detailed scripts, focus groups, etc.; when you have such a structure behing you, it is to be expected someone somewhere knows more about what creates good ratings and what makes people buy tickets than a guy who spent the last years learning how to wrestle. Going to a writer and saying you want to change the script this team of professionals just wrote can't be as simple as talking to Vince and sticking to your guns.

Anth0ny

I actually agree. We might be the only two on GAF (the internets?) who feel that way, though.

Over the years, I've picked up the following on Steam sales:

-Batman Arkham Asylum for $7.50
-Batman Arkham Knight for $7.50
-Every Sonic game on Steam for $7.50
-Every GTA for $7.50
-Dark Souls for $7.50
-AOE II HD for $7.50

And that's it. I've actually played all of those games I've bought in some form (original AOE II, console versions of Sonic, Dark Souls, GTAs...), but felt like getting the superior PC version for dirt cheap. The exceptions are the two Batman games, which I haven't played, but it's fucking Batman, and apparently those games are amazing, so I bit on them at $7.50.

My backlog is massive enough as it is, I'll never understand why people go insane over these sales and blindly buy hundreds of games, even if the prices are crazy low.

Anything more than $7.50 is a ripoff anyways :p

just gotta ignore it brahs and talk wrestling and other feds with the other posters.

So I am seriously considering going to BOLA 2014. Any other Gaffers trying to go? Or live around the area? I'm trying to figure out boarding arrangements and not to mention actually getting to the venue.

Had flights been around 350 I would have. They're clocking in at 200 more so I'm going to pass. Really started getting hyped when Zach Sabre was announced. He's awesome.

Someone take the scenes of Bart desperately hoping that Krusty will appear at Kamp Krusty and replace Krusty with Brock. That's where we are at this poiint.

Superman punch. Apron kick. Spear.

Those are literally the only moves he knows how to perform. How the hell is this guy gonna be the top guy of the company?

There's no rule main events have to be 20 minute five star affairs. To the casual fan, Bill Goldberg's almost 50 and they probably still think he could beat up 80% of the current roster.

Ryback got over with three moves and he doesn't have have the look or charisma Reigns does.

Ithil

You can't just blame booking, as easy as it is. If Shawn Michales sat on his ass and took everything he got, he would have never made it past the midcard. He would still be feuding with Martel over non-title matches and getting stuck in singles matches with Marty. If Bret sat on his ass, he'd be 'Cowboy' Bret Hart and come out on a horse.

People give Miz shit about just sitting there and accepting his booking or whatever, but do you think any of those NXT kids are any different? Triple H is the one who said that they want people who want it. Husky got canned, but he wanted it so he came back and said to himself, I've only got one more chance at this and I'm going to stick out. I'm going to take this shit Cena feud and make them remember my part in it.

Let's not just blame everything on booking. Getting to be a star is an uphill battle(unless you're Roman Reigns,) and you have to take a shit sandwich and make gold out of it. That is wrestling. As long as it's been. It's an uphill battle to get yourself over because noen of the veterans want you over. If you can't get past WWE's booking then you can't make it. Period.

This isn't 1995. You speak up and you've got a 50-50 chance at the least of getting punished for it instead, nowadays.

Down on NXT there's a lot of creative freedom. Surprise surprise, it's a better show, with better characters and gimmicks.

Cagey

Banned
The problem isn't dream or anyone else critical of "things smarks are supposed to like", it's the groupthink that characterizes opinions that aren't uniform as trolling that's the problem.

Top Bottom