• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand how you feel. Just gotta do it. Treat it like a normal. Nice and relaxed. It sucks because they are so important. Especially if you don't have as much time to play to climb later.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I barely play ranked at all, anyway. But I want to be ranked so badly. It's part of my 'doing what you're afraid of' initiative that LoL has featured largely in. I succeeded in playing ranked teams (we got placed in Bronze V and promoted to Bronze IV later), but this hurdle is tough.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I barely play ranked at all, anyway. But I want to be ranked so badly. It's part of my 'doing what you're afraid of' initiative that LoL has featured largely in. I succeeded in playing ranked teams (we got placed in Bronze V and promoted to Bronze IV later), but this hurdle is tough.

Playing ranked in LoL is the most nerve racking thing out of any game. You simply just don't know what you're gonna come up against, what quality your team mates will be and don't want to fuck up a ranked game. At least in a normal if you fuck up, you take a bit of abuse and move on the next game. In ranked it sucks because there's actually something on the line. I hate playing ranked.

Sheik

I just started playing LoL, level 11, and I have no other experience with MOBAs. Any tips for a beginner? Having trouble getting kills. I'm not sure if I should use my IP on runes first or champions. The friend who referred me bought me a $5 starter pack that came with a few champions.

Playing ranked in LoL is the most nerve racking thing out of any game. You simply just don't know what you're gonna come up against, what quality your team mates will be and don't want to fuck up a ranked game. At least in a normal if you fuck up, you take a bit of abuse and move on the next game. In ranked it sucks because there's actually something on the line. I hate playing ranked.

The something being on the line is the reason why I play. Makes games feel like they are worth while. In normals, I just kinda mess around. When it is time to ranked, it is time to get serious.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing LoL, level 11, and I have no other experience with MOBAs. Any tips for a beginner? Having trouble getting kills. I'm not sure if I should use my IP on runes first or champions. The friend who referred me bought me a $5 starter pack that came with a few champions.

Don't bother buying runes until you hit level 20, the tier 3 runes don't unlock until then and they're the runes you want. I'd suggest playing some matches against bots just to practice. Watch some streams or matches with commentary. When I was starting out I watched streams every day, and just by doing that you get an idea for how the game is played.

Regarding ranked matches, all the more power to you guys who play them. I could never do that. For me playing LoL is supposed to be fun, and playing ranked games is the opposite of that. If I lose in a normal game whatever, just move onto the next one. If I lost a ranked game I'd probably be super pissed.

garath

It doesn't hurt to buy a few tier 1 runes. They're pretty good bang for the buck. Just set up a single page with all defensive runes. Armor yellows, magic resist blues, and something defensive mark and quint. Health wouldn't hurt.

But in general, save your IP for level 20 to get the Tier 3 runes. Just learn as much as you can on your climb up. Try a few different roles and champions and find something that's comfortable. By the time you hit 20 you should have a pretty good handle on the game.

Leezard

It doesn't hurt to buy a few tier 1 runes. They're pretty good bang for the buck. Just set up a single page with all defensive runes. Armor yellows, magic resist blues, and something defensive mark and quint. Health wouldn't hurt.

But in general, save your IP for level 20 to get the Tier 3 runes. Just learn as much as you can on your climb up. Try a few different roles and champions and find something that's comfortable. By the time you hit 20 you should have a pretty good handle on the game.

yup, tier 1 are ok. Really cheap.

Einbroch

Banned
Don't bother buying runes until you hit level 20, the tier 3 runes don't unlock until then and they're the runes you want. I'd suggest playing some matches against bots just to practice. Watch some streams or matches with commentary. When I was starting out I watched streams every day, and just by doing that you get an idea for how the game is played.

Regarding ranked matches, all the more power to you guys who play them. I could never do that. For me playing LoL is supposed to be fun, and playing ranked games is the opposite of that. If I lose in a normal game whatever, just move onto the next one. If I lost a ranked game I'd probably be super pissed.
Why? The ranking doesn't mean anything, and you get (hopefully) less trolls. If I lose, but I stomped my lane, it's all good. Just last game mid and top fed hard, but my Graves and I had like 50% more CS, two kills to zero deaths, and just dominated. But we lost because my team sucked. It just comes with the territory.

Side note, but how would a MOBA play with four lanes and a jungle? Everyone wants their own lane, people don't like support (well, most people), so it seems like a no brainer. Of course the balance would probably be out of whack, but like Dominion, I think it could be fun with a good map.

Kayos90 thread subtitles are notorious for being underwhelming.

>.>

I don't hate it, but I'm terrified of being bad. And I think I'm bad pretty often. Teammate fails I can live with. XD

I have a rule that I try to enforce in LoL over any other game: when it stops being fun, stop playing. It's served me pretty well. I don't quit games, or anything, but I try to just leave it for the day if I have a really tilty match, like that Yi one the other day. >.<

Why? The ranking doesn't mean anything, and you get (hopefully) less trolls. If I lose, but I stomped my lane, it's all good. Just last game mid and top fed hard, but my Graves and I had like 50% more CS, two kills to zero deaths, and just dominated. But we lost because my team sucked. It just comes with the territory.

That's the problem. Other lanes feeding is part of the game, but it's my own failures that frustrate and discourage me. :/

Xetherion

Holy crap at these Udyr changes, man I hope they go live! It's funny because I just started trying him out again yesterday with a new mastery page specific to him and a new build. The loss of mana gain on Turtle sucks though, basically forces players to build mana regen now instead of Wriggle's and I hate being pigeon-holed into builds. Not to mention it's a huge blow to Lanedyr. But man dem Bear changes, wow! Makes me want to forgive the Turtle change.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Like others have said, in ranked games there's something on the line. Yes, this motivates you to play hard to win, but if you end up losing you might get annoyed or even angry. If that kind of thing doesn't bug you then, like I said, more power to you. But I know myself and I would probably get sucked into the whole ranking grind and I don't have the time nor patience for that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She's in the back with the staff.

Y'all missed out.

Save your IP until you know what you want. Those starter champions are probably good and easy to play, and there's no point buying runes early on.

Are you playing normal games or bot games?

Incidentally, how big is LoLGAF EUW? I keep meaning to check out the channel and then forgetting. Do they have their own Mumble?

Leezard

Incidentally, how big is LoLGAF EUW? I keep meaning to check out the channel and then forgetting. Do they have their own Mumble?

I've checked out the channel some times, there appears to typically be between 2 and 6 people there. I don't know more than that, though.

scy

I don't think they have their own Mumble but I do believe they tend to use one Channel in particular on the normal GAF Mumble.

At least, I've always assumed that was EU LoLGAF in Channel 4.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm amazed I even cracked the top 10. That thread is a 6th of my total posts on NeoGAF ever. I don't post a lot.
yeah, it's like a 5th of mine lol.

you guys are too awesome, is all

I knew my break from posting would work.
work against ya you mean

Syndra disabled for the third day running. Riot pls.
yeah and it's working some reverse psychology shit on me... I can't stawp wanting to play her :3

QWR QWR QWR QWR QWR Sona is da best.
tumblr_m9x031cPto1qbzoigo1_500.gif

this should be on every op

Guyz.

Janna cosplay on the pax stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz
pics?

Sheik

Save your IP until you know what you want. Those starter champions are probably good and easy to play, and there's no point buying runes early on.

Are you playing normal games or bot games?

I've been playing bot games, but I'm about to move on to normal games. Nervous!

Thanks for the help everyone! I will save for tier 3 runes then. I've been playing the free champs and Gangplank and Irelia seem pretty good. I want to try an assassin out because I've been watching Voyboy streams and he makes them look like so much fun, haha.

I've checked out the channel some times, there appears to typically be between 2 and 6 people there. I don't know more than that, though.

I don't think they have their own Mumble but I do believe they tend to use one Channel in particular on the normal GAF Mumble.

At least, I've always assumed that was EU LoLGAF in Channel 4.

Fair enough. Thanks guys, might pop in sometime if my team is offline. I shouldn't even be thinking about LoL for the rest of the semester though...so much work. >.<

zkylon

zkylewd

Thanks for the help everyone! I will save for tier 3 runes then. I've been playing the free champs and Gangplank and Irelia seem pretty good. I want to try an assassin out because I've been watching Voyboy streams and he makes them look like so much fun, haha.
yeah you don't wanna think about runes for a long while now. just play the champs that seem fun while trying to understand the meta bit by bit (why it's solo top and mid, a jungler and adc support bot, etc.).

It's worth it! Bots can actually be kinda better than people when you're starting out. They're more consistent. Even if some of the consistent things they do are stupid, they will not hesitate to 4-man ult you. And their money after 25-30 minutes is just silly, because they get passive gold. People can screw up, rage, and so on (on the opposite team is obviously a bit better for you). The game becomes a lot more interesting without bots.

Top tip from someone who always gets upset when people flame though: press Tab and click the chat bubble next to someone's name to mute them. Feel better.

Gangplank is such a beast. He's a bit underpowered at the moment, has a hard time in lane, but in lower levels on NA I had a lot of success with him, and even at 30 here it's been so-so at worst. Irelia is just plain good.

Assassins *are* fun. I'm bad with them but they're fun. Master Yi is one you can try pretty cheaply. I think he counts, anyway.

Blitzzz

I agree with some of the other guys that getting a few all purpose tier 1 runes will be beneficial (a pack of 9 costs as much as a daily IP bonus!)

Some of the low IP champs are pretty good right now and can hold you over until you get more IP (ie. Kayle, Ryze). Don't forget the free Trist and Alistar for subscribing.

Also don't bother jungling right now.... you will likely die.

I should probably check out Irelia, I've never played her before.

Played her once, god damn she's crazy. Pretty sure that was post-nerfs as well. Never went back though, not sure why. Probably because I have very low confidence in my top game, despite doing well in some dodgy situations.

Sheik

It's worth it! Bots can actually be kinda better than people when you're starting out. They're more consistent. Even if some of the consistent things they do are stupid, they will not hesitate to 4-man ult you. And their money after 25-30 minutes is just silly, because they get passive gold. People can screw up, rage, and so on (on the opposite team is obviously a bit better for you). The game becomes a lot more interesting without bots..

Yeah, bot games are like autowin, but they're good practise. They've let me try different champions and practise poking. I just played a normal game though and just got rocked by Tristana. I don't know how to kill creeps and poke while using melee against ranged yet. But playing against people is definitely more fun.

I agree with some of the other guys that getting a few all purpose tier 1 runes will be beneficial (a pack of 9 costs as much as a daily IP bonus!)

Some of the low IP champs are pretty good right now and can hold you over until you get more IP (ie. Kayle, Ryze). Don't forget the free Trist and Alistar for subscribing.

I actually do have like 5 or so tier 1 runes that I bought previously before popping my head into this thread. They're so random though lol. Wait, how do you get the free champs? Where do I subscribe?

hmm I'm thinking of buying Zyra so I feel like supporting again. maybe Lulu or Thresh. I dunno.

Bought Zyra to support a while back, had a lot of fun with her. I found Thresh kept me coming back longer, though. Even with Zyra's insane snare and the bush awareness that you can have with her seeds, it's not trivial to make her work. Not for me, anyway.

Blitzzz

Yeah, bot games are like autowin, but they're good practise. They've let me try different champions and practise poking. I just played a normal game though and just got rocked by Tristana. I don't know how to kill creeps and poke while using melee against ranged yet. But playing against people is definitely more fun.

I actually do have like 5 or so tier 1 runes that I bought previously before popping my head into this thread. They're so random though lol. Wait, how do you get the free champs? Where do I subscribe?

Subscribe to their youtube and facebook page to get them. I can't get to the links at work but googling should show you the way

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, bot games are like autowin, but they're good practise. They've helped me try different champions and practise poking. I just played a normal game though and just got rocked by Tristana. I don't know how to kill creeps and poke while using melee against ranged yet. But playing against people is definitely more fun.
are yo playing against intermediate or easy? intermediate bots can actually pose somewhat of a challenge, sorta, early on.

also if you're melee you're gonna have to get used to ranged champions taking advantage of their range. you're gonna be poked and will have to solve it by buying tons of health pots, asking for ganks, knowing how to all-in them, etc

garath

hmm I'm thinking of buying Zyra so I feel like supporting again. maybe Lulu or Thresh. I dunno.

I love Zyra. She's my go to support. 3 for 3 in ranked with her. Lots and lots of wins in normal. She's so strong in lane with a decent ADC and her ult is a teamfight powerhouse.

This game makes me hate people

"buy wards please, I'm the jungler so I'm buying quite a few but I can't cover the whole map. Our 'support Fizz' needs to help out or someone else needs to help buy wards"

And no, I couldn't cover the map as I don't have infinite money since I'm initiating and need items to be tanky. (Vi).

"buy wards please"

"good thing I bought that WARD OMG" [/I](enemy team attempts Baron)

"yeah, that's what happens" (enemy team later Barons freely since we have 0 map vision after I died, we find out when I put the ward in Baron's pit).

Rest of team generally silent except for occasional "we need to teamfight" & various pings.

What, are wards too boring, unsexy and tedious for these chimps to spend money on? I just don't get it. Do people have absolutely no idea that maphack is worth, like, a billion gold?

I realized the reason I don't like trying to carry teams is because it generally involves babysitting a bunch of shitheads. Yet somehow I end up gravitating towards tank or support 80% of the time.

I wish Chalice had an AD item build path. It's a great item that would be brilliant for AD casters, especially against APs.

Edit: I suppose Muramana fills the mana regen part of it, but the mana regen and MR would make it a good early item for ADs if it had an AD build path.

zkylon

zkylewd
Bought Zyra to support a while back, had a lot of fun with her. I found Thresh kept me coming back longer, though. Even with Zyra's insane snare and the bush awareness that you can have with her seeds, it's not trivial to make her work. Not for me, anyway.
I love Zyra. She's my go to support. 3 for 3 in ranked with her. Lots and lots of wins in normal. She's so strong in lane with a decent ADC and her ult is a teamfight powerhouse.
I had fun playing her mid on my smurf account on free week but I haven't tried her support yet.

I wanna play with thresh's lamp, it seems fun too and if all fails I'll just try full AP janna.

My goal was to not be at the top so I'd say it worked fairly well.
u lose noob gg

Sheik

Subscribe to their youtube and facebook page to get them. I can't get to the links at work but googling should show you the way

Found it, thanks for the heads up!

are yo playing against intermediate or easy? intermediate bots can actually pose somewhat of a challenge, sorta, early on.

also if you're melee you're gonna have to get used to ranged champions taking advantage of their range. you're gonna be poked and will have to solve it by buying tons of health pots, asking for ganks, knowing how to all-in them, etc

I was playing easy. Totally forgot there was intermediate for a sec, I'll try that out. If I buy tons of health pots, won't that put me at a disadvantage because they'll have items? People make it look so easy on streams. ;;

Leezard

I was playing easy. Totally forgot there was intermediate for a sec, I'll try that out. If I buy tons of health pots, won't that put me at a disadvantage because they'll have items? People make it look so easy on streams. ;;

you are only at a disadvantage if you go all out. If you just trade -> heal up it will be superior to start with pots. Assuming that you can make the enemy lose cs that way, that is.

zkylon

zkylewd
basically if you feel like you're gonna be poked a lot you should start with a bunch of pots and try to look for kill opportunities if you can burst them down in one combo. if you have a gapcloser (panth jump) or slows (olaf axe) or whatever you can just sustain their damage with pots until you decide to go in. very early on levels are really more important than items so you want to make sure you're not zoned out of experience and farm or else they'll really shut you down for good.

so basically it's a long term investment, you waste a bit of early game power to guarantee you'll get ok into mid-late game.

Hmmmm, looks like Syndra's been reenabled on the Korean server. PhantomL0rd is play her now.

Still have the notice saying she's disabled on my client though. I'll check it in a bit.

edit: still disabled on EUNE T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom