• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions |OT| Wanna dodge this nut's attacks?

Kindekuma

Banned
JGPk3jC.jpg

Welcome to the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions OT! This OT is designed to fit either the dark or light NeoGAF theme.
However it's not formatted for mobile. So some graphics might be wonky. Also there are image clickable elements in this OT.
Lastly, quick thread rules. Keep it spoiler free, use tags when appropriate. Y'all get the gist. OKAY LETSAGO!

ONWPLe0.jpg

73X8Qu6.jpg

IlbVASr.jpg

SQAiJVr.jpg

1cyEaaC.jpg

0UKbeuc.jpg

hXB41BW.jpg

0Zr2kqN.jpg

5HvVH0D.jpg

mAWzfZZ.jpg

Erv6xLQ.jpg

aJMWMJJ.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Has it been 14 years since the original release.....damn, I was only 12 when this came out. Can't wait to replay it with a fresh coat of paint.

I never got a chance to play the original, but I did play BIS. I'll pick this up later, probably, Odyssey comes out too soon.

ZugZug123

Damn it, I forgot this game releases this week. Time to give up sleep to juggle this and all my Switch games. Never mind I also spend a lot of free time before sleep on Pocket Card Jockey...

Kindekuma

Banned
Have they said what amiibo unlock in the game?

All I have been able to figure out is what amiibo is compatible. But what features each amiibo give you have not been disclosed yet. Even on the official Nintendo site for this game doesn’t have the amiibo tab enabled yet on this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The game is only in 2D? That's lame, though not exactly a surprise. Most recent 3DS games from Nintendo have been 2D only.

The game is only in 2D? That's lame, though not exactly a surprise. Most recent 3DS games from Nintendo have been 2D only.

I'm betting they're gonna sunset the system before 2018 ends. Until then, we'll enjoy the games everyone has left in their system. This one included.

Menitta

Got my copy coming in the mail tomorrow! Can't wait to finally play this game. I hope I can finish Ace Attorney Investigations tonight.

wait this comes out today? main i have not been keeping up with this game

anyway gonna buy it, i'm always down for some mario and luigi

I'll definitely be picking this up eventually, loved the GBA game when I played it last year or so and I love the additions the newer games have which have been incorporated into this remake (the visuals, accessibility options and double jump basic attacks). I think Bowser's Inside Story is the pinnacle of the series, I'd love to see that remade eventually too.

£30 is a good price and I'd have bought it were it not for all the other stuff I've got on my plate. Maybe in December? I'll be keeping up with this thread regardless.

Leynos

I kind of want to get it, but I still have my GBA copy handy. Maybe if I find it cheap.

Ha, as if Nintendo games ever go cheap.

Remake of the best Mario RPG, too many games to relive this right now but here's hoping they nail it, I've never felt the sequels recaptured the magic so to speak.

Enjoy first timers!

Never played the original, but not new to the series either (beat PiT years ago and started BiS about a month ago.) Just got this.

Veery strong start. Way better than BiS for sure which took a while to get going lol. Game's pretty gorgeous too!

Never played the original, but not new to the series either (beat PiT years ago and started BiS about a month ago.) Just got this.

Veery strong start. Way better than BiS for sure which took a while to get going lol. Game's pretty gorgeous too!

The original was easily my favorite game in the series. I still remember the Christmas where I got it alongside Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

1upsuper

So aside from the minion side game, did they add anything to the main quest? I've beaten this game enough times that I'd like some new content to the main game.

Played an hour and twenty minutes and it's exceeding my expectations so far. It feels like a very faithful remake but with a remarkably good new art direction which looks so much richer while still maintaining the defining aspects of the original locales.

Seriously, it looks stunning. Sprites are as detailed as the previous 3DS titles, which basically means they are top-tier, and the 2D backgrounds use a mix of pixel- the drawn-art while also being impressively dynamic. For instance, in Stardust fields the crystal-like ground shimmers as you walk around, and there's subtle use of lighting which affects objects and sprites.

Surprisingly, they also use 3DS's shaders to great effect. Have a close look when the fireworks go off on completing the early Jump Rope game: There are specular maps which are lit up on each firework going off, and dynamic lights for the flagpole (the position of the shadow depends on where the firework goes off).

tl;dr: The backgrounds are richly detailed and look superb in motion in this, with clever incorporation of 3DS's more advanced visual toolset.

So aside from the minion side game, did they add anything to the main quest? I've beaten this game enough times that I'd like some new content to the main game.

I'm seeing subtle embellishments but I've only played an hour. For instance, the jump rope minigame at the start now has 5 levels, one of which is called "Super Jump Rope Sunshine" or thereabouts. I don't remember that being a thing in the original.

Astral Dog

After seeing the new sprites i think most look better than the GBA ones, abd i played SuperStar Saga back in the day.

Option-

How are the mechanics compared to the 3DS iterations? I actually liked everything gimmicky about them, more mechanics mean more variety and more fun for me :D

This game is actually really pretty and 60fps as well! I now prefer the look over the original.

So refreshing to go back to basics after Paper Jam.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got my copy today, can't wait to play it later tonight.

Uh the final boss is still kicking my ass, I can't dodge well when it use both hands to attack.

I could never defeat her in the original game. ;_;

The reason I'm hesitant to pick this up. I never could beat it in the original, and it was super tedious to try again and again :(

There is easy mode in the game and in modern Mario and Luigi mode they added a super mode that lets you defeat boss battle if you die, though I don't know if they added it in this one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yay, got it in the mail. Need to tear myself away from Danganronpa V3 despite being at the final chapter & give this a look.

Edit: OMG all the references they added to Mario's house at the beginning.

MEGATON: By pressing X, you make both brothers jump at the same time. Man, that's such a nice thing to have.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
More impressions:

- The game feels much faster/better paced now thanks to stuff like Bros. Attacks going much quicker, being able to easily swap which move you want to do & not having to switch who's in the lead, moves like High Jump being performed faster, being able to hold R to fast forward (which is super nice since the script is almost word for word the same & lets you get past some padded cutscenes quicker), etc.

- Having a map is nice, especially with the ability to use pins to mark locations, which is what I'll be doing for finding those buried beans early on when I don't have the ability to dig yet.

- Saving anytime is real nice as well.

- If I had to nitpick, it's a shame seeing some of the specially designed characters like toads, koopas, etc. be gone in exchange for the generic ones.

Either way, as someone who ADORED this game as a kid, first impressions have been great.

NMFried

Put about two hours into it when I picked it up today. It's just as charming as I remember. Actually weirdly glad they went from Paper Jam to remaking the first game, since I haven't really finished a M&L game since Bowser's Inside Story.

Top Bottom