• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions |OT| Wanna dodge this nut's attacks?

Darktalon

Frustrating that another 3DS game releases without 3D. Halving the top screens horizontal resolution doesn't do the game any favors.

Darktalon

Hmm, you are right actually, I do prefer 60 fps over 800 horizontal resolution. Its just a shame that it has to look blurry because of this.

ghibli99

Picked it up today. Who knows if I'm in the minority, but I like the red case. :) Don't know when I'll be able to start this though, but hey, happy to support it!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Super nitpicky thing. As a RPG player who tries to keep my party equally leveled as possible, I REALLY wish when I level up, I could see the other brother's stats so I don't have one that's more overpowered in one area over the other. Especially since the bottom screen will always display their stats during battle.

Also, is it just me, or does the game feel a lot easier? The first two bosses I fought, I think it only took me 3 or 4 turns to defeat them. I don't think it's because I'm overpowered because I'd always fight all the enemies in the original.

Walked by it and almost bought it... But I can't. The original is one of my favorite games of all time. This just looks so much worse.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmmmm....so instead of "Advanced Bros. Attacks" that you'd perform during a regular Bros. Attack by pressing a different button during a specific moment, they're now "Super Bros. Attacks" that cost more & are considered a separate attack now.

I...don't know how to feel about that. My guess is the Advanced versions were considered "too powerful" or something so in exchange, you gotta pay more bros points to use them.

At the very least, you still learn them the same way, & I THINK you learn them quicker now? I learned both Super versions of the first Bros. attack for each brother during the 3rd boss battle (which also only took about 3 or 4 turns)

Walked by it and almost bought it... But I can't. The original is one of my favorite games of all time. This just looks so much worse.

I love the original, still own a boxed copy, but I really like this version too. Only played for a hour or so, but it's still great. Shame that the game doesn't support 3D though.

Patison

By looking at screens I wasn't too sure about this game's artstyle, but playing on the actual hardware and seeing 60 fps and this beautiful lighting makes my jaw drop constantly. Can't wait to see more!

By looking at screens I wasn't too sure about this game's artstyle, but playing on the actual hardware and seeing 60 fps and this beautiful lighting makes my jaw drop constantly. Can't wait to see more!

I'm surprised, this is probably one of the best, if not the best looking 3DS game. 60fps, amazing colours, and everything being 2D means no aliasing.

Peff

i meant the picture comparing the new Sprites but im too lazy to look for it :p

Oh, yeah, my bad, haha. Though having played an hour-ish up to Dragohoho that picture actually sells the remake a bit short. Despite the regrettable changes it still looks quite slick and charming in motion and at the proper resolution, even if I am still partial to the original sprites. The gameplay changes are a bit harder to adapt to, but hey, there's always the Wii U VC, I guess.

EDIT: since we're on the subject it might as well be here too.

QQSbdKu.png

Man, they actually DID go and make the DK skeleton a standard one, I was only half expecting that when I posted as such in another recent thread.
Most of the sprites come out unscathed but does this also indicate those robo chomp things were changed to mecha koopas?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So Bowser's Minions isn't unlocked until after you
leave the mountain & beat that mine cart mini game
(I doubt this is a real spoiler, but meh), which is about 3ish hours into the game.

Amiibo function in the main game unlocks after
beating Queen Bean & reentering the town, you'll see an amiibo icon over someone's head

Scanning 1 gets you
the Chuckola Badge (makes enemies more likely to drop items)
while each additional stamp nets you
3 of each type of bean
. Placing a stamp for clearing one of the Bowser's Minions missions (which is just "recruit these specific characters"), gets you
#1 Trousers

I didn't get anything special for having all 10 of the Mario amiibos/stamps unless it's something later on.

Salsa

got this since I last played the original quite a few years ago. plan on playing both the other 3ds releases after which I haven't touched yet

plenty Mario&luigi4me

Listening to the soundtrack has made me want this game. I thought I heard the soundtrack was weak, but it basically sounds exactly how I imagined the GBA originals would sound if the GBA didn't have a garbage sound chip

I think I actually spent more time on Bowser's Minions than the main game at this point.

It's not particularly good or anything, I just wanna keep recruiting minions, making up army formations and just see more of the writing lol.

eXistor

Picking this up today. Surprised there is not that much interest in it.

Busy month and the last two M&L games haven't been great imo. Diminishing returns and all. I did pick this up though, I've only played Superstar Saga at launch and I really don't remember much of it so it'll be fun to compare this to the later games.

R0ckman

Check the records at the title screen, you'll see records for allies and enemies. The one's in allies are recruitable. Surprisingly Rex isn't.

Could have sworn I saw him being used in a preview on the player side. Maybe it was testing or something.

Darktalon

I am really enjoying the redone music, this game sounds more like Super Mario RPG than any other in the series, which is a good thing in my mind.

Also the 3D models in motion do look really good, as much as I love sprite work.

R0ckman

Did they buff the drop rates in this? I remember the fuzzbushes dropping that gear being a lot lower compared to now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Noticed a change in one of the items you get from brewing blends in the cafe

Instead of the Power Grip (which serves no purpose now considering you never let go of the hammer now), you get an item that looks like the Virtual Boy called "Secret Specs" that lets you see hidden blocks

...also Great Force looks like the Triforce & even plays the DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAA jingle from Zelda

...speaking of brewing blends, they really changed it up. Instead of a whopping 25 beans, you only need 10 of a specific kind, but in exchange, instead of upping your stats by 4 points, it's only 2.

zokie

i was debating what game to buy for my bday present

and lastly this game was my final decision

Reasons

- i did not own the actual gba cart

- this does not need any season pass :D

- loved the new additions for 3DS ( except the there is no Geno )

I started Bowser’s Minions yesterday and I’ve already spent three or four hours on it! The dialogue is superb, and the combat becomes increasingly more complex. Success really depends on how you configure your team for each battle, and which commands you use at the right time. I love saving up command points so I can use Chance twice in the last round of each battle.

It’s an amazing remake. Like other have mentioned they’ve nerfed some things (better Bros Moves cost more) and buffed others (I’ve definitely been getting a lot of Red Pepper drops) and the visuals are gorgeous. The perfect blend of pixel art sprites, and drawn backgrounds, and lighting and shadow work. Looks fantastic in motion.

hm?

they're all 60 fps iirc

Dream Team and Paper Jam Bros were 30fps

Bowser's Minions is actually getting a bit hard for me haha. (middle of the beach chapter)

Gonna play more of the main game for now.

seady

There are many things happening this month.

I am looking at the release during when this game came out on the GBA.

The Legend of Zelda : Wind Waker
Warioware Inc.
Fire Emblem (1st FE game ever for US)
F-Zero GX
Beyond Good & Evil
Castlevania : Aria of Sorrow
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Call of Duty (1st CoD)
GTA: Vice City
Diagaea

R0ckman

Is there an interview for this game? Bowser's minions seems like a direct response to how
it made absolutely no sense for Bowser's minions to be helping Bowletta.
I know my friend and I way back talked about it being weird but I never thought there was any big enough discussion for it to reach Nintendo, granted they could have looked at the old game during this project, thought the same thing and created the minion game to fill in the holes.

I was considering getting this game, as I've never played the original. But then I saw that there is no 3D. There is absolutely no excuse not to have it. No buy for me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Interesting playing this game since I played the original for the first time last year and I am already doing better as I am quickly defeating bosses and actually unlocking the super bros moves, something I didn't do as I never used them on regular enemies.

Also unlocked Bowser's Minions part of the game and...eh it's a thing I mean it's funny but I don't like the game play it's seems to be luck base with a few buttons prompts, I will probably switch between the two game play until Bowser's Minions forces me to grind after a defeat then I will just stick to the main game.

I was considering getting this game, as I've never played the original. But then I saw that there is no 3D. There is absolutely no excuse not to have it. No buy for me.

The game isn't designed with 3D polygonal backgrounds so 3D would look terrible. You'd have flat 2D drawn or pixel art backgrounds with a few 3D objects on top. Recreating Superstar Saga's world in polygonal 3D wouldn't work unless it was "fake 3D" like with A Link Between Worlds, but its world has always been denser and more detailed than the 3D Mario and Luigi games (Paper Jam, Dream Team).

On the plus side, ditching 3D has led to the most detail and colour rich backgrounds the series has ever had, plus a doubling of framerate to 60fps after the 3D 3DS games dropped the framerate to 30.

Also unlocked Bowser's Minions part of the game and...eh it's a thing I mean it's funny but I don't like the game play it's seems to be luck base with a few buttons prompts, I will probably switch between the two game play until Bowser's Minions forces me to grind after a defeat then I will just stick to the main game.

Glad you're sticking to it. It starts off simple but introduces new mechanics after every 1-2 battles, and by the second boss it's a lot more complex than how it started.

I've just beaten the fourth boss and I haven't had to grind once. Smart team set-up relative to the weakness triangle and where your and the enemy's minions position themselves and use of command points are key to victory.

Top Bottom