• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

I wonder how QRJ would feel about Heel's tireless promotion of abhorrent MMA?

Today's abhorrent MMA is tomorrow's Ultimate, friend. The gap is narrowing for better or for worse. Hell, they're pretty much one and the same half the time.

dream

Abhorrent mixed martials has about as much relevance as "The Ultimate Fighter" or "UFC on FuelTV," though. The difference is abhorrent mixed martials aren't being sold to us as "the superbowl of the mixed martials."

Rampage also liked it better back in the day when the yakuza would tell him when to win or lose.
tumblr_m0z779Mcgl1rressco1_500.gif

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/01/state-of-nevada-rebuts-nick-diaz-lawsuit-ufc-news-23145.html

Apr 30, 2012 – Last Tuesday, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz filed a lawsuit against the Nevada state athletic commission, claiming that the state regulation agency violated his right to due process by declining to grant him a hearing on the status of his fighter’s license within 45 days of his suspension. 

According to the state of Nevada’s office of the attorney general, the legal move is misguided. That is because Diaz’s legal team, headed by Ross C. Goodman, cited a “summary suspension” of Diaz’s license in his court filing. According to Nevada’s state codes, a summary suspension can be ordered if an agency finds that “public health, safety or welfare imperatively require emergency action.”

But in a written response from Nevada attorney general Catherine Cortez Masto to Goodman and forwarded to MMA Fighting, the state of Nevada asserts that Diaz’s legal team misunderstood the suspension.

“No Notice of Summary Suspension was ever served on your client,” Masto wrote. “In this matter, Mr. Diaz was properly served with a ‘Notice of Hearing on Temporary Suspension’ and he failed to appear at the hearing. The Commission temporarily suspended Mr. Diaz’s license at the hearing. Neither Mr. Diaz nor you objected in any manner to the temporary suspension.”

The letter effectively indicates that because Diaz was not given a “summary suspension,” his case does not fall under Nevada code NRS 233B.127, which requires a hearing within 45 days. A separate code, NRS 467.117, indicates that the commission can ” continue the suspension until it makes a final determination of any disciplinary action to be taken against the licensee or holder of the permit.”

The letter also indicates that the NSAC delay in scheduling Diaz’s hearing was partially his fault, caused while waiting for him to produce his medical marijuana card.

“I’ve waited for more than a month for the card,” Masto wrote.

Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites on February 4, shortly after losing a UFC 143 match against Carlos Condit. On a pre-fight medical questionnaire, he denied taking any “prescribed medications” in the last two weeks. 

On April 4, Nevada sent Goodman a letter asking him to produce Diaz’s medical marijuana card. Goodman later produced a letter from Diaz’s doctor, Robert E. Sullivan, who said he had first issued a physician’s statement in June 2009 which noted that Diaz had a ‘serious medical condition” which would, in his professional opinion, “benefit from the use of medical cannabis.” He issued a follow-up statement on Feb. 28, 2012, re-affirming the same.

The Nevada attorney general’s office said that they are moving forward with their complaint against Diaz, and that they would still attempt to hold a disciplinary hearing on the matter.

Meanwhile, Nevada’s Clark County District Court has set a May 14 hearing at 10:30 am on Goodman’s request for an injunction against the suspension on Diaz’s license.

You're calling Mr.Molina competent?
No, just saying that he wasn't some random doctor that Reem seeked out after the fact to pin this shit on who has no credentials whatsoever like some people say. Reem found Molina because he worked for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation which examines fighters to get them licensed in the state, plus he was recommended to him by a friend named Tra Telligman. Having worked with the state in an official capacity in regards to MMA as well as a personal recommendation would have been enough for me to trust the guy too.

Heard that Brendon "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt" Schaub is thinking about dropping down to 205.

I hope he does, then gets knocked out again, then gets cut.

All I'm saying is that the story he's presenting isn't as outlandish as the kneejerk accusations on the internet would have you believe. Molina is a doctor who at first, second and third glance would be someone that seems trustworthy, plus he is even involved with the commission itself out there and it's not until you say "we have to go deeper" that you realize how much of a quack he is. You can watch the Reem episode from that time and it's not like some huge secret that he is going to see this doctor and he's trying to keep it hush hush, it gets documented in his video documentary for fuck's sake. His story here makes sense and I'm inclined to believe it because there's no kind of smoking gun in here to suggest that he's lying, plus it's not like this is his 3rd time pissing hot or something.

You also have to consider that this guy has passed a shitload of drug tests including blood tests (which most fighters don't get) since the Rogers fight. If you think it's just the fact that this last test was random that was the only reason for him getting caught, then you're basically saying that the normal drug testing system that is still practiced for MMA and Boxing by athletic commissions in every single other sanctioned state as well as in Canada, and also in outside countries by Zuffa itself is an absolute joke and we need to consider the possibility that damn near all these guys are using some kind of PED whether it just be testosterone to boost their levels, or something else.

If we're going to have random testing on MMA fighters, I don't want just a few of them singled out like we experienced here (oh and FYI, one other HW had just cycled off 10 days prior to this test and was scared shitless about the results according to FRB, he told me who but I won't mention it publicly, but just look at their histories and put 2 and 2 together). I would like random testing applied across the board on all fighters, because if it's not happening with everyone it is completely unfair. Guys like GSP are having speedy recoveries in Canada from ACL surgery without being tested randomly while Overeem is being tested randomly and I don't think this is fair to the fighters or to us.

Quake1028

Yeah interesting concept. I played it an hour or so one night. A little too grindy for me though.

I "beat" it, for whatever that's worth. I got pretty addicted to it. It's pretty short though, probably only takes 3 hours to get to the final boss and beat him.

Heel

I don't want just a few of them singled out like we experienced here (oh and FYI, one other HW had just cycled off 10 days prior to this test and was scared shitless about the results according to FRB, he told me who but I won't mention it publicly, but just look at their histories and put 2 and 2 together).

Would you say Bigfoot's witch doctor is competent as well?

polyhedron do you believe alistair overeem is clean yes or not
I take him at his word because I don't have any reason not to, but if one was to surmise that he was juicing the whole time while he passed all those tests then we may as well assume that everyone is juicing until they apply the same level of testing to all fighters across the board.

dream

just for my sake because i am pedantic polyhedron do you believe alistair overeem is and always has been a clean fighter yes or no with no qualifications to your answer pls

ugh fuck UFC 146.

Evan Dunham is injured, Jamie Varner will be replacing him vs Edson Barboza.

There goes the former potential FOTN.

Either Barboza destroys him spectacularly, or Varner lays on him.

Top Bottom